Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape..
    #5199989 - 01/19/06 06:55 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Do you think the US should have accepted a truce?

Do you think this is a result of the much-publicized Pakistan operation?

Do you think they are really finishing up plans for attacks in the US?

US on bin Laden tape: no negotiations

By Deborah ZabarenkoThu Jan 19, 5:45 PM ET

The United States dismissed on Thursday a conditional truce offered in a tape attributed to Osama bin Laden and said it "does not negotiate with terrorists."

Vice President Dick Cheney said that the offer from the al Qaeda leader appeared to be a ploy but that it was too early to draw conclusions.

The audiotape, aired by Arab television station Al Jazeera, also warned al Qaeda was preparing new attacks inside the United States.

"Clearly the al Qaeda leaders and other terrorists are on the run, they're under a lot of pressure. We do not negotiate with terrorists, we put them out of business," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters.

"The terrorists started this war and the president made it clear that we will end it at a time and place of our choosing. We continue to pursue all those who seek to do harm to the American people," he said.

A CIA official said U.S. intelligence analysts believed the voice on the tape -- the first from bin Laden since 2004 -- belonged to the al Qaeda leader.

In it, bin Laden warned of new attacks inside the United States.

But he said al Qaeda was willing to "respond" to U.S. public opinion in favor of withdrawing troops from Iraq. Bin Laden did not specify conditions for the truce, but indicated that it was linked to U.S. troops quitting Iraq.

Asked about the truce offer, Cheney told Fox News in an interview: "I'm not sure what he's offering by way of a truce. I don't think anybody would believe him ... It sounds to me like it's some kind of a ploy, but again not having seen the entire text or validated the tape and the timing of it, I'm reluctant to draw any conclusions."

"This is not an organization that's ever going to sit down and sign a truce. I think you have to destroy them," he said.

GAUGING THE THREAT

Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman Michelle Petrovich said the agency had no plans to raise the country's security alert level in response to the tape's release.

Roger Cressey, a former White House counterterrorism official under President George W. Bush, called the truce offer a "red herring" designed to make bin Laden look reasonable in the eyes of U.S. and Muslim public opinion.

But he said the tape was significant after such a prolonged absence of messages from bin Laden, which had led to speculation he might be ill, injured or even dead.

"By issuing a tape which we have to assume is current, the bumper sticker here is: bin Laden's not irrelevant yet," Cressey said.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said analysts typically checked tapes such as these for any threat indicators and clues that might help in the hunt for members of al Qaeda.

Cheney told Fox that in addition to authenticity, the key question was when the tape was made. Al Jazeera said the tape dated from January.

Cheney said U.S. officials did not yet know whether there was any link between the tape and an airstrike last Friday aimed at al Qaeda's second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahri.

Pakistani officials said Zawahri did not appear to be hit in the strike, which killed at least 18 people including women and children.

(Additional reporting by David Morgan, Caroline Drees, and Paul Eckert)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: Catalysis]
    #5200080 - 01/19/06 07:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

To me, this is a shocking development.

The same man who publicly claimed responsibility for the 9/11 attacks now offers a truce? He is basically admitting defeat. The man was scorned by democrats and republicans alike in the US. Does this mean Bush's strategy is working and bin Laden is becoming unpopular or is this part of some other scheme?

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

#5200212 - 01/19/06 07:57 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like bullshit to me. Do you actually trust the CIA and their so called intelligence? You know how well they have done in the past....

Offlinewildwestkcmo
Myco-nvict
 User Gallery

Loc: MO
Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: Darcho]
    #5200245 - 01/19/06 08:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I Concur, you notice how this surfaces only after our military offense on innocent people in pak. the picture is in no way even bin laden (younger). Our government is out of controll and is doing anything and everything to keep the american people believing them and supporting them. And don't forget who oversees the media. Television makes it capable to decieve and influence we americans why do you think everybody has one.

--------------------
Missouri: Come on vacation, leave on probation, cop a violation, face revocation, then enjoy the incarceration in the Missery Department of Connections

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: wildwestkcmo]
    #5200252 - 01/19/06 08:08 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

the picture is in no way even bin laden (younger).

It was an audio tape...

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

#5200253 - 01/19/06 08:09 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Flip through Mein Kampf, and read the section usually titled "Education of the Masses."

Offlinewildwestkcmo
Myco-nvict
 User Gallery

#5200271 - 01/19/06 08:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

theyve been showing video also.

--------------------
Missouri: Come on vacation, leave on probation, cop a violation, face revocation, then enjoy the incarceration in the Missery Department of Connections

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#5200440 - 01/19/06 08:51 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

wildwestkcmo said:
theyve been showing video also.

No, its just an audio tape.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #5200679 - 01/19/06 09:56 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

They've been showing an old video with the audio in case we've forgotten what Osama looked like.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#5200915 - 01/19/06 11:01 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Terrible idea to give into his demands. He needs to put something on the table besides his word. The last thing the US needs to do is be seeing negotiating. All that will accomplish is many more attacks, kidnappings, and bombings in hopes of persuading the masses to pressure their leaders into surrendering.

Whether we appease or not, this will not stop their methods. Next they will blow some shit up and demand that we withdraw ALL troops from the middle east. Not a bad thing necessarily, but we can not be seen as pushovers.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: daimyo]
    #5200939 - 01/19/06 11:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
Terrible idea to give into his demands.  He needs to put something on the table besides his word.  The last thing the US needs to do is be seeing negotiating.  All that will accomplish is many more attacks, kidnappings, and bombings in hopes of persuading the masses to pressure their leaders into surrendering.

Whether we appease or not, this will not stop their methods.  Next they will blow some shit up and demand that we withdraw ALL troops from the middle east.  Not a bad thing necessarily, but we can not be seen as pushovers.

Indeed. Al Qaida won't give up until the whole world converts to Islam, sad to say. :shake:

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: Learyfan]
    #5201183 - 01/20/06 12:00 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Sadly 99% of people will believe it's real.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#5201569 - 01/20/06 03:39 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
"A CIA official said U.S. intelligence analysts believed the voice on the tape -- the first from bin Laden since 2004 -- belonged to the al Qaeda leader."

ya, and the CIA intelligence also believed that the guy on the tape who said Al Qaeda was behind 911 was Bin Laden.

come on, seriously, wake up people.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #5201808 - 01/20/06 06:52 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I think he is playing political games, he is offering a truce that he would never uphold and knows the US would never accept.

I suspect this statement could be a prelude to an planned attack, which I sincerely hope fails.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: psilomonkey]
    #5201978 - 01/20/06 08:39 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

This is your governments way of telling you that there IS going to be another attack. And what will be the result? More security, less freedom. More Patriot Act, more civilian spying, etc....

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: Darcho]
    #5201999 - 01/20/06 08:51 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I find it out of character for Bin Laden to suggest a truce. That is fundamentally against the notion of jihad, the very act he insights.....

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: moog]
    #5202419 - 01/20/06 11:18 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Al-Qaeda Leader Osama Bin Laden in New Audio-Recording Threatens New Attacks in the US

Following are excerpts from Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's latest audio recording, which was aired by Al-Jazeera TV on January 19, 2006.

Osama bin Laden: My message to you refers to the war in Iraq and in Afghanistan, and how to bring about its end. I did not intend to talk with you about this subject because for us, the matter has been decided. Only iron can defeat iron. Our situation, Allah be praised, is getting better and better, while it is the opposite with your situation.

But what has led me to speak is the repeated words of deception by your president Bush, in his interpretation of the results of public opinion polls among you, which showed that the overwhelming majority of your public wants to withdraw the forces from Iraq ? but (Bush) opposed this and said that withdrawing the forces would convey the wrong message to the adversaries, and that it is preferable for us to fight them on their soil, rather than for them to fight us on our soil.

My answer to these words of deception is: The war in Iraq is raging without cessation, and the (military) operations in Afghanistan are constantly escalating - to our advantage, Allah be praised. The Pentagon figures indicate a rise in the number of your dead and wounded, in addition to the huge material damage.

[...]

I say that the poll results please the wise (among you), and that Bush's rejection of these results is a mistake, and that reality shows that the war against America and its allies has not remained limited to Iraq, as he claims, but rather, that Iraq has become a source of attraction and recruitment of qualified people.

On the other hand, Allah be praised, the mujahidun have managed repeatedly to break through all security measures taken by the oppressing coalition countries. Proof of this is the bombings you have witnessed in the capitals of the most important European countries that are members of this hostile coalition.

As for the delay in similar operations in America ? this has not been due to any inability to break through your security measures. The operations are being prepared, and you will witness them, in your own land, as soon as the preparations are complete, Allah willing.

[...]

Based on what I've said, it can clearly be seen that Bush's words are false, but what he refrained from saying ? and this is the essence of the poll results, which favor troop withdrawal - is that it is better that we do not fight the Muslims on their soil, and they will not fight us on our soil. We have no objection to responding to you, regarding a long-term cease fire under fair conditions, which we will uphold. We are a nation forbidden by Allah to betray and lie. Under such a cease fire, both sides will enjoy security and stability, and we will build Iraq and Afghanistan, which have been destroyed by the war. There is nothing wrong with this solution, except that it will prevent the flow of hundreds of billions to people of influence and to the merchants of war in America, who supported Bush's elections campaign with billions of dollars.

[...]

In conclusion, I say to you that the war will be won either by us or by you. If it's the former, loss and disgrace will be your lot for all eternity, and, Allah be praised, this is the way the wind is blowing. If it is the latter, you should read the history (books). We are a nation that does not remain silent over injustice, and we seek blood vengeance all life long. Not (many) days and nights will pass before we take blood vengeance, like we did on 9/11 ? Allah willing.

If your minds remain worn out and your lives remain miserable, things will progress towards that which you hate. As for us ? we have nothing to lose. He who swims in the sea does not fear the rain. You have occupied our land and violated our honor. You have shed our blood and plundered our property. You have destroyed our homes and banished us. You have harmed our security, and we will pay you back in kind.

Offlinewildwestkcmo
Myco-nvict
 User Gallery

Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5202648 - 01/20/06 12:41 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think it's bin laden playing the games I believe it is the u.s. government on it's slow road to tyranny

--------------------

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

#5202875 - 01/20/06 01:54 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/20/doj.nsawiretaps/index.html

Hmmm..., I wonder what would be needed to further justify wiretaps and domestic survelliance. Hmmm..., what could it be....

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: So, about that Osama bin Laden Tape.. [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5202920 - 01/20/06 02:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I believe OBL just uses 'jihad' to motivate 20-somethings underneath him. Pre-9/11 he seemed to have different objectives than simply obliterating the western world.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order