Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycocitizen
journeyman
Loc: USA
intellegence and tripping
    #519206 - 01/13/02 07:58 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Do you think that people of higher or lower intellegence are more likely to have a bad trip? I personally think that smarter people are less likely to have bad trips. I consider myself to be a relatively smart person, and do not see how it is possible to have a bad trip. No matter what happens while I am under the influence, whether I am seeing amazingly beautiful patterns or surrounded by disturbing images, I just laugh it off because I know what is happening and why. So do any of you think that the possibility of having bad trips is at all influenced by your level of intellegence?

--------------------
"Well why not? Anything worth doings, worth doing right"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetoo_many_weirdos
it's a jungle inhere
Loc: Ithaca, NY
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: mycocitizen]
    #519212 - 01/13/02 08:15 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

no, not really

intelligence is kind of a vague word
perhaps be more specific
what sort of intelligence?

OfflineDXMHEAD420
veteran
Loc: ohio
    #519247 - 01/13/02 08:52 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i dont know about bad trips relating to low intelligence, but i have found 1 thing about intelligence and tripping. it seems that people of higher intelligence seem to find more "depth" in their trips. dumbasses are generally just saying shit like "wow man the trees look like space ships" etc. i hate tripping with i guess what you could call stupid people. its VERY annoying. they never find anything more in the trip than simple visuals, which they tend to exaggerate to the extreme.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #519290 - 01/13/02 10:17 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

hmmmmmm...
well, intelligent folks are a bit more likely to be tripping for reasons other than to see how fucked up they can get... that's a plus...
but they are also more likey to get into a headspace where they just have to "solve it" -- when sometimes the only solution is to let go...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (01/13/02 10:18 AM)

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #519293 - 01/13/02 10:17 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I think bad trips have more to do with personality than intelligence.

DXMHEAD420: I totally agree with you on tripping with smart people as opposed to "stupid" people. In my experience, people of lesser intelligence just tend to say things like "I'm so fucked!", "everything is moving!", and "look at the pretty colors!". The people I usually trip with (who are all fairly intelligent) prefer talking about strange abstracts while tripping. It's just more fun.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OnlineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #519301 - 01/13/02 10:25 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

All of the replys to this thread have summed up what I would have said.

Good work fellas

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibledk138
enthusiast
Loc: SOC
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: Learyfan]
    #519614 - 01/13/02 04:01 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

What did you say Leary?

--------------------
"And the worms ate into his brains."

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #519687 - 01/13/02 05:37 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

"I cant imagine having a bad trip"

Ii used to feel the same way!! I would have such a great time triping I couldnt imagine a bad trip. But I had one. its so funny to hear someonesay the same thing i used to say. though i have only had 2 bad trips out of the 100 or so times ive tripped. My worst was due to cotten mouth, thats right cotten mouth. it got so bad, each breath i tok made it worseand it got to the point where my throat felt like grinding rocks as i swallowed. I was in a state park, lost in a trail and nothing to drink......

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: trendal]
    #519693 - 01/13/02 05:46 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

also, intellegence has nothing to do with a bad trip. thats a matter of opinion. I consider myself an experienced tripper, and i am in no way "stupid" If you havent had a bad trip, good for you. But to say that intellegence has to do with a bad trip is far from intellegent.. I could go on and on, but this will upset me. too many close minded people.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Offlinejuubou
grower
Loc: New England
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: pleezr]
    #519762 - 01/13/02 07:08 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

It definitely has a little something to do with bad trips, in that that the more intelligent you are the less likely you are to trip in bad surroundings. I doubt that intelligence has much if anything to do with the way the drug actually affects you, though.

OfflineOJ
old hand
    #519867 - 01/13/02 09:37 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i know what you mean pleezr, i used to say the same exact thing too, and i had a bad trip and it almost scares you away from mushrooms, but you know you have had more fun on them then not fun, so you do em again :)

OnlineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: dk138]
    #520250 - 01/14/02 09:04 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I says all these here replys said what I would have said. I felt the need to say that for some reason there.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinejimmyvengeance
    #520277 - 01/14/02 09:25 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

See, I don't think there's necessarily a firm link between intelligence and safety from bad trips. That said, I do think that smart people are less susceptible to full-on terror-oriented delusional tripping experiences. An intelligent individual is going to realize that he is on a drug, the drug will wear off, and that he will soon be returned to a normal state. However, in my experience a person need not be delusionally terrified (I'm going to die, there are demons everywhere, etc) to have a bad trip... One can instead just suffer a general feeling of malaise, occasionally even an overpowering one. Frankly, I find that even worse than a delusional fear, which would be far easier to correct. Generalized bad vibe tripping is hard to help.

OfflineSherlockDrubu
enthusiast
    #520594 - 01/14/02 03:15 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

>>My worst was due to cotten mouth, thats right cotten mouth.

I know exact;y how you feel. Last time I shroomed (New Years Eve) I smoked a couple blunts before I ate them, and I had the worst feeling in my mouth and throat. I couldn't get the dry scratchy feeling away, so I drank cup after cup of Ice water, and it wouldn't do anything for it. I started to feel REAL cold, and I was covered up with LOTS of blankets, but couldn't get warm. It fuckin freaked me out and I couldn't get lost in my mind because every breath had the scratchy feel.

Thats what blew my chance to grow, because my mom was gonna let me but she saw me freaking out and didn't know what to think, so she said I couldn't trip or grow shrooms. :-(
She did say something along the lines of "I don't care about pot, but not shrooms" so I see that as a permission...

About intelligence and tripping, it doesn't have anything to do with bad trips. I am fairly intelligent, but I have had bad trips the last several times on shrooms. Never on acid. It is all the situation around you and whats going on in your life.

J♠
Male User Gallery

#520701 - 01/14/02 05:03 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't say intelligence has anything to do with a bad trip. In fact, I said I didn't think it had anything to do with a bad trip.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlinechargrt
journeyman
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: trendal]
    #520917 - 01/14/02 08:35 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I've always figured that the smarter you are...the MORE likely you'll have a bad trip. Considering that you supposedly know more about things, like history, english, math, politics, etc...there are more things for the shroom to break down and say "haha...folly on you!"

--------------------
Invoke the One together, so Both may disappear.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: chargrt]
    #521240 - 01/15/02 02:13 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I really don't think intelligence (or lack of it) has anything to do with bad trips. You know how everyone rants about "set and setting" all the time? Well there's a reason for it. Set and setting are EVERYTHING, in my opinion. I have never had a bad trip. I also have never used hallucinogens without being in a comfortable setting with a proper set of mind/emotions.

Personality (outlook, perhaps), set, and setting. Those, in my opinion, are what make a trip good or bad.

--------------------

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: intellegence and tripping *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: chargrt]
    #521499 - 01/15/02 05:41 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by raytrace

Edited by raytrace (09/07/02 07:26 PM)

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: raytrace]
    #522805 - 01/16/02 07:26 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i'll agree with dmxhead about what i have come to call DMXHEAD's Stupid People Theory.

i will likewise agree that set and setting are everything. i have never had an unpleasant trip and don't think i ever will.

but i strongly disagree that more educated thinkers can bad trip easier. i believe anyone can have unpleasant thoughts/emotions while tripping (i am lucky that i have not) but imo there is no reason why someone of a higher intelligence would be more apt to freaking out. however, i can see a good point in the argument that people of lower intelligence would be more likely to completely flip out on a trip. oh yea and one thing i completely forgot about is dosage... that would be an important factor in the likeliness of a bad trip.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineDXMHEAD420
veteran
Loc: ohio
Re: intellegence and tripping [Re: geokills]
    #522851 - 01/16/02 08:04 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

its dXm head, not dMx head.
dmx is a rapper. dxm is dextromethorphan hydrobromide.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies