Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMickyWilliams
Stranger
Peroxidated grains
    #1396583 - 03/20/03 10:25 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Is a glovebox or flowhood necessary when doing grain to grain transfers with peroxidated grains? I thought that this was too easy to be true but then I read where mycophile said something about it in his bulk report.
Anyone tried it?

Thank you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: MickyWilliams]
    #1396705 - 03/21/03 12:35 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

It's not absolutely necessary.. but it's a good idea.

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1396775 - 03/21/03 01:15 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Grain to Grain Transfers (G2G)

Once you have learned to prepare sterilized spawn pint or quart jars of bird seed, rye or grains & fully colonize them with mycelium. You can easily propagate a single colonized quart jar of that into about 20 more via G2G transfers. Jars propagated via G2G transfers generally colonize under optimal conditions 100% in 10 to 14 days . Given that, spores do not have to germinate, as what is transferred to freshly prepared jars is active mycelium on fully colonized seed or grains.

The method is to prepare fresh jars, just as you would to inoculate via a spore syringe (soak seed, rinse, drain, load, apply filter disk & PC). Excepting, rather than inoculate the fresh jars with a syringe. You transfer grain from a colonized jar to fresh uncolonized jars. The procedure is simple & only requires common sense, minimal preparation, a long stout clean stainless steel spoon & the cleanest personal hygiene and the smallest uncarpeted working place you can muster.

Prepare the smallest cleanest uncarpeted room you have (generally, a bathroom). In the following manner. Clean the room as best you can, getting rid of any dirt, dust, mold or mildew. Remove any cloth hanging anywhere. Spray Lysol on everything, everywhere & wipe it down. If you have any hepa type air filter unit? Place it in the room & run it for at least 1 hour. Running a hepa is preferable, but, if you don’t have one. You can usually manage without it

Wipe your fully colonized jar of grain & your fresh jars down, with a clean Lysol sprayed rag. Place those in the room, on the counter top, or whatever flat working surface you intend to use. Wear freshly laundered clean cloths. If you have a face mask  (preferable) wear it. If you have a shower cap to cover your hair (preferable), wear it. Enter the room, spray Lysol around (again) run the hepa for a few minutes (if you have one). Then, turn it off. Spray your hands & arms with Lysol & wipe dry.

Unscrew the lid off the colonized jar. Leave the internal filter disk or filter material in place covering the content. Unscrew the lid on a fresh jar, leaving the internal filter material in place. Remove the filter material from the colonized jar & dig up about ? of content, as it will be colonized into a solid mass. Spoon out 2 table spoons full & transfer them to the uncolonized jar, by lifting it’s filter up & spooning them in. Replace the filter material on the fresh jar IMMEDIATELY after spooning in the colonized material.

Repeat this same process as many times as you have fresh jars to transfer to. Once done. Screw the fresh jars lids on tight. Cover the outside of the lids of the fresh jars with a double layer of alcohol swabbed coffee filters & rubber band them down. Shake each fresh jar to spread the colonized material throughout it. Place your fresh jars in a dry, dark, warm place (preferably between 78 & 84 F), and allow them to colonize in peace & quiet. G2G transfer & shaking jars batters the mycelium. It takes it a day or 3  recuperate from that shock.  There is no need to shake  G2G jars more than once. As, doing so will only slow colonization, rather than speed it up.

:smile:

10 days later

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: SixTango]
    #1396787 - 03/21/03 01:23 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Since I am poor and can't afford a flowhood.. I do my G2G transfers using the oven. I just crank up the oven, pull out the rack and start working. My contam rate in the past 3 batches of 7 jars each is 0%. Not bad eh? I even do it in a dirty ass kitchen. :laugh: 

--------------------

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #1396815 - 03/21/03 01:43 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

I had a lot of trouble with contam ridden wheat, which just seemed impossible to sterilise properly, but with the addition of 10ml of 3% peroxide per quart jar it's doing much better.
still not perfect though....
ps. I do agar inoculations of millet regularly without a flowhood, with little problem, even without peroxide.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

InvisibleMickyWilliams
Stranger
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #1397140 - 03/21/03 03:45 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Thanks for being so helpful yall.
Ive been thinkin about switchin to bags without a sealer just twisting it up and wrapping the top. I know this is gonna be a pain in the ass in my glovebox.
I guess Ill give it a try with peroxidated grains in open air and see what happens.
From what I understand sterilization kills all enzymes that break down peroxide and peroxide kills bacteria and all spores, so it seems like it would work just fine in open air. Is my understanding correct?
I plan on adding 10ml H2O2 per qt spawn. I usually let my spawn soak 12 to 24 hours then sterilize. Should I change the way I prepare my grain to accommodate the peroxide? Ya know so its not to wet after adding the peroxide?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1397205 - 03/21/03 04:01 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

>Ya know so its not to wet after adding the peroxide?

Yes, you should do this.

Offlinemycovolution
pleeeewtinkiponic
 User Gallery

Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: SixTango]
    #5070120 - 12/16/05 04:56 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

There is no need to shake G2G jars more than once. As, doing so will only slow colonization, rather than speed it up.

At what point do you recommend the jar be shaken?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: mycovolution]
    #5070172 - 12/16/05 05:37 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I shake them twice, at around 5% and 50% visible colonization.

Offlineprototypical_man
ass model

Loc: Doral Florida
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: Anno]
    #5182164 - 01/15/06 12:28 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

so wait.. peroxcide doesnt break down in the cooker?

--------------------
I have 29 Strains as of current.. I LOVE TO TRADE. See my bio for the strains I currently have.

I seek: Strains I don't have, exotic species, Edibles, Vacutainers, A accurate scale, chicken manure, worm castings, worms for making my own worm castings, plastic lids for mason jars, light malt extract, Kelp Meal, A Ph Tester, A microscope.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: prototypical_man]
    #5182630 - 01/15/06 08:09 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

it breaks down in the heat and from light exposure

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Loc: Québec, Canada
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #5190045 - 01/17/06 03:45 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Salut Champion
J'ai lu selon ta r?ponse que tu avais des probl?mes avec le bl?.
Je st?rilise environ 400 lbs de bl? par ann?e. En g?n?ral 3 ? 5 % des pots sont contamin?s, ce qui est raisonnable.
1 he ? 75 min. de st?rilisation sont habituelement suffisants.
Pour de tr?s bons r?sultats avec le peroxyde ont doit d?buter ? en utiliser d?s le d?part sur le agar. Par la suite il faut en ajouter dans tous les substrats de transfert ainsi que le florif?re.  Personnelement je n'aime pas cette m?thode le peroxyde ?tant trop fragile.
Je l'utilise seulement pour cloner ? partir de champignons sauvages.

J'?crivais surtout pour dire que je fais mes transferts de grains ? grains,grains ? bran de scie, bran de scie ? bran de scie copeaux, dehors sur un endroit ?lev? face au vent.
C'est beaucoup plus confortable pour travailler, plus rapide, le taux de contamination n'est pas plus ?lev? qu'? l'int?rieur. Les conditions d'hygi?ne doivent ?tre conserv?s.

Pour la bo?te ? gant(pour couvrir mes bras)j'utilise des gants de v?t?rinaire pour l'insiminaton des vaches. Au poignet je coupe ce gant et j'utilise un gant de chirurgien pour couvrir mes mains afin d'avoir une plus grande dext?rit?.

En esp?rant que cet envoi te soit utile.

Micololo2 :smile:

OfflineJuan_del_Pueblo
Mr.Papashroom
 User Gallery

Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: micololo2]
    #5190269 - 01/17/06 08:12 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Wouldn't it be easier to just inject a few cc's of sterilized water into a fully colonised jar, shake and then suck out the myc water? It seems less risky and workz just as well as G2G. You can prob do more jars...... :stoned:

--------------------
Don't I look like I'm serious...

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Peroxidated grains [Re: Juan_del_Pueblo]
    #5194494 - 01/18/06 10:27 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

This is a wierd old post for sure....anyway

Juan, I don't think it would be particularly easier, and it very well could be a bit slower depending on your spawn rate. To each their own, both methods work. I personally think that G2G would be fair bit more consistent than just shaking grain to make a liquid inoculate.

To answer the original question, no flowhood or glovebox is needed for peroxidated grain G2G's. I probably wouldn't use a glovebox even if I had one because I despise working in such restricted quarters.

Also, as someone pointed out above, peroxide will be destroyed in the pressure cooker, which is why the peroxide is added after pressure cooking and cooling of the grain, before innoculating with the colonized grain.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures