Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Delicious Bacon, Ranch Dressing, Scales, Terrence McKenna, Thousand Island

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
About me (and you) * 1
    #5186902 - 01/16/06 11:31 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

When debating with you guys (and gals), I find it easy to be sarcastic and demeaning b/c I view many of you not as people with feelings, but as some entity created by the create and mighty internet.

I figured I would share some information about myself with you, and perhaps you will want to do the same. This might help the general war-like attitude that has developed between certain members during the past year or so.

I have no legal concerns, so I will share a great deal of information about myself with you guys. I understand if you don't want to share the same amount of information, due to the nature of this website. My goal is to "humanize" the members here so we can view and act towards one another as people, and not just a name who has different view-points as you.

Anyways, about me:

I am a 20 year-old male from MI who is attending a 4-yr college for the purpose of obtaining a Bachelor's of Science in political science w/ a minor in business. I love poli. sci., but absolutely can't stand my business courses. My grade point average is a 3.9, and my academic progress is very important to me.

Once I graduate from college, I hope to move away from the midwest and after a year or two of working, either go to law school or get my master's degree. Either that, or attempt to get an internship to the Ayn Rand Institute. My goal in life is to be a successful writer and eventually a politician.

Growing up, my parents were very objective while talking to me about politics, so I was allowed to form my own views on different issues. To this day, I still have no idea which way they vote, and honestly, I like that. I, myself, tend to sway between a libertarian view of things and a "bleeding-heart-liberal" view. I tend to be cynical about the motives and actions of the government, but do not usually buy into conspiracy theories (though I find many of them extremely interesting). Regardless of my political leanings, I attempt to keep an open mind to the agruments of all political affiliations.

I have only been interested in politics since the end of the 2004 election, and to tell the truth, I didn't even vote. My embarassment over being so apathetic about such an important aspect of citizenship is what eventually got me interested. This forum has fed my knowledge of both domestic and international politics greatly, due to the wide spectrum of political representation here. At first, I just lurked, due to my lack of knowledge, and fear of being made a fool of, but eventually I decided to post and I have been doing so ever since.

I count many of you as my friends and teachers, and my home is open to any of you in travel or a need to rest your head. Just ask Randall. :wink:

I hope you feel like you can share yourself with me, so I can attempt to see where you are coming from and what affected you political development. If you have any questions of me, please ask.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Redstorm] * 1
    #5187018 - 01/16/06 12:08 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

White male, early 20s. Grew up in various neighborhoods all around the same general area. Lived in an all Italian neighborhood, normal middle class area, and the hood.

Never was one to hold a "normal" job, so I gravitated towards alternative employment. By the time I was 20 I was well to do, but living in a shitty neighborhood for various reasons. A few months ago I called it quits on what I was doing and have been "retired" since.

Within the next 2-3 months I will join the Army and go one of three paths. Either stay for life and rise through the ranks until I am a General, do ~6 years, then apply to the CIA, FBI, a couple other alphabet groups, or do ~4 years and join a company such as Blackwater.

Growing up I never talked much about politics. Most of the people I know didn't care at all, so I kept it to myself. I've always loved shows like Meet the Press, and I watch an unhealthy amount of C-SPAN. Aside from that I try to read as much as possible.

I always did very well in school(straight As), but never wanted to attend college for a degree. I teach myself what I feel I need to know, and that is good enough for me. I love reading biographies, and the works of, people like Washington, Caesar, Thomas Paine, Patrick Henry, Livy, Plutarch, Machiavelli, Alexander, etc.
I also enjoy studying the work of people such as Michio Kaku, Edward Witten, and other theoretical physicists.

I suppose I can be described as imperialist with a touch of anti-federalist. In an ideal world I would be an isolationist, but this is no longer feasible. I came from nothing and by taking control of situations I made my own, comfortable, path. I would like this to be reflected in my country's approach to the world. If it's out there, we should have it.

On a local level I am a firm believer in greasing the political wheels to get things done. It shouldn't be this way, but until it changes, gotta play the game. So I don't care who wins as long as they do what they're told.

State level is a joke to me. Most states have lost the balls to stand up to the federal government, and until that change I have no respect.

Federal government I truly despise. It should be way smaller and less complicated than it is. The congress is corrupt and I yearn for the day we can start fresh there.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Redstorm]
    #5187056 - 01/16/06 12:17 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a 23-year old male living in northern California who just graduated college with a B.A. in Sociology, and am now trying to look for work. I'm living with my parents at the moment, but hope to be moving out and into my own place within the next year. I'm not sure what job I want to look for, but I'm considering either working for the state of Oregon(where I want to move) or for some college or university(something like admissions or registrar's office). One option I'm considering is possibly going back to school for a year to get my teaching credentials, so I can become a high school teacher.

I was always into politics for as long as I can remember. My parents are liberal Democrats, and raised me as such. Not only have I always been into politics, but debate runs in my blood. My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather's a theologian, and my uncle's the president of a non-profit organization. You should see the arguments at Christmas!

I've tried to keep an open mind, and this forum has certainly helped me with that. I went from a liberal to a libertarian, and now I'm somewhere in between. I guess I would now categorize myself as a centrist.

I hope to eventually publish some books about my political philosophy, but I know that'll take time. In the meantime, I'm happy to debate people here and refine those ideas, as I have been all along.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Redstorm] * 2
    #5188644 - 01/16/06 07:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I am a 26 year old male living in Pennsylvania. I was not interested in politics until I was about 16 years old.

As I entered the world of politics and philosophy my personal attitudes were extremely Leftist. After several years I experienced a gradual shift away from the Left. Eventually I was consumed with an absolute hatred of the Left which was quite reactionary. It is a habit of mine to wholeheartedly embrace an intriguing new thing when I encounter it. This can sometimes lead to hyperbolic and biased thought. This negative feeling toward Leftism still exists in me, but it is less shrill and hostile. I can say with certainty that I attack the Right just as much as I attack the Left nowadays. I despise extremists of any stripe.

Next, I developed a strange amalgamation of beliefs which control my thinking and reasoning to this day. I became an ardent theist, nationalist, and traditionalist. But, at the same time I became an existentialist with nihilist tendencies, a supreme cynic, and a rejector of ideology, movements, and institutions. Common sense would dictate that these attitudes could not possibly exist within the same mind, but they do in mine; and not always harmoniously.

I can admire the gumption of people who act on their beliefs. I myself am more of a political theorist/political complainer. I have found action to be fruitless because humans are too flawed.

When it comes to governments or people who attempt to impose their particular ideology upon the world, my opinion is simple: Don't blather on and on about how your vision is the ultimately correct one, don't tell me what to do, and stay the hell out of my life.

Edited by RandalFlagg (01/17/06 12:24 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Redstorm] * 3
    #5188838 - 01/16/06 07:44 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I was born in Canada in the early Fifties and lived there until early 1988 at which time I moved to the Dominican Republic where I live today. I have a high school diploma (kindergarten plus the thirteen grades in Canada at the time I was going to school).

My first paying job was manually setting pins in a bowling alley on weekends at age twelve. I also spent seven years sorting mail manually on the night shift. For three of those years I was a union shop steward. I've tended bar, been a windsurfing instructor, sold clothes, cars, stereo systems, real estate and computers (not in that order). I've owned two businesses of my own and managed businesses for others. I've also built a couple of beach erosion control projects here in the Dominican Republic.

Like virtually every young man who came of age in Canada during the Hippy Era, what few political views I held were originally Liberal. My evolution from Liberal to Laissez-Faire Capitalist began during my years working in the Canadian Post Office, whose union is about as Leftist as you can get; at the time I was a shop steward the majority of the national executive of the CUPW were -- I shit you not -- pawns of the Canadian Marxist-Leninist Party. Some of them were card-carrying members of the party.

By the time I hit my early twenties I was a confirmed Laissez-Faire Capitalist, and I have seen nothing in the last three decades to dissuade me that Laissez-Faire Capitalism is the only politico-economic system worth supporting.

The main reason I left Canada (and a six figure income, of which more than half was seized by the Canadian government before it ever reached my bank account, then another fifteen per cent was charged in sales tax on almost everything else I bought other than most categories of food and prescription medications) eighteen years ago was to escape the stifling hand of government. Where I live now the government does nothing for me (and I mean that almost literally -- I have no health care, no old age pension, no unemployment insurance, and if I want the services of a policeman I have to bribe him to do his job) but on the other hand they ask nothing of me (I have paid zero income tax in the eighteen years I've lived here). And that's the way I like it. I couldn't ask for more.

I started posting here over five years ago because I'd heard that LSD and psilocybin were effective treatments for Horton's Syndrome (otherwise known as Cluster Headaches or Suicide Headaches) -- a neurological syndrome from which I had suffered since the mid-Eighties -- and I needed to brush up on my shroom growing techniques. Thanks to the superb FAQs at this site, I needed very little time to get up to speed on modern techniques (I had first grown shrooms in the Seventies by following Oess and Oeric's book) and was able to verify for myself that psilocybin did indeed keep my symptoms under control. See my posts in the Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms Forum for details on the upcoming clinical study at Harvard regarding the treatment of Cluster Headaches with psychedelics. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2410501#Post2410501

Once I had learned all I needed to know about growing my own medicine, I looked around the other forums. The Political forum was a new addition at that time. I posted a few times and got hooked.

End of story.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Redstorm] * 1
    #5188845 - 01/16/06 07:44 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i'm a 22 year old male from pennsylvania. i'm a university student studying horticulture. when i graduate soon, i'd like to work for a museam, arboretum, or botanical garden in a fun city. that or work for a commerical nursery and/or landscape design/build firm.

i've worked a ton of different jobs, from a painter (with a ladder, not an easel), to planting tomatoes, to being a research assistant for a blind grad student. i've been in prison. i'm into computer stuff (i'm a bit of a *nix zealot), politics, music, films, the outdoors, and of course plants. i like art and science. i used to be a bit of a firearms enthusiast.

the first time i really got interested in politics was when i came into a discussion on this site making a few comments coming from simple, obvious, leftist common sense, and a user named pinksharkmark hit me with some questions i could not answer. i got thinking. i think the first big debate i got into on this site was about gun rights. i've always liked guns.

for a while i called myself a libertarian and i'd still describe myself as one if that told the whole story. i don't like the government and i think there should be less of it. i think it should stay out of the market as much as possible and for the most part just leave people alone in their private lives. i also don't like consumerism. i find many faults with the system we've built, and it's not just with the government. i'm a lot less serious in real life than i am on this board.

--------------------

Edited by wilshire (01/19/06 01:58 PM)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#5188886 - 01/16/06 07:53 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a 25 year-old, white male. I live in the midwest, grew up poor, have a degree in biochemistry, and currently attending grad school. I will probably drop-out after I get my masters this year and go fuck shit up in the cali bio-tech industry.

The simultaneous events of 9/11, my graduation from school, and later the 2004 elections propelled me into the world of political and social philosophy. I tend to look at these subjects from an ego-centric point of view and draw from my life experiences and knowledge to establish a position because it is the only thing I can be sure of. I am very open minded but often skeptical of the agenda of others.

My family is ultra-liberal and I live in a blue city/state. I am a conservative in all areas except legislation of morality. I think individualism and competition breed creativity and excellence. I hold the constitution in high regard and I believe in minimal taxation and limited governmental involvement in society.

I have had a good time here and learned a lot. This is the most intelligent and balanced political forum on the net.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #5190116 - 01/17/06 03:58 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a 35 year old white male (German/Italian/English). I'm a traditional Libertarian, though I haven't always been a Libertarian, I used to be a conservative in the 90's.  Well I was a conservative as far as the definition describes and not what it is today. I'm not a lover of the left/democrat philosophy and up until our current president I'm no lover of the Republicans neither.  I'm not a very compassionate person towards people who can do things but won't for any reason.  I've been interested in politics since I was 21 and have voted in every election since I was 18, however I don't normally vote in local elections.

As far as education goes I have a BS in Architecture and an MBA from the University of Michigan (Go Blue!)with a concentration is Human Resources.  I work as an Architect at a large company and actually enjoy it.  I've lived in Michigan my entire life with the exception of my military service where I lived in Washington and Oklahoma. I have a wife and no kids but she's expecting our fist child soon.

I am heavily into sports, Hockey, Football (American), snowboarding, hunting and fishing. I love snowboarding since I was about 18 though I don't do half as many tricks as I used to. I used to be on this site quite a bit but now my work only allows me a few posts a day.  I've been hunting since I was 13 and been fishing all of my life.

My turn ons are puppies, kittens and walks on the beach
Turn offs: liberals, Birkenstock sandals and vegetarians

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (01/06/10 03:54 PM)

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #5192332 - 01/17/06 06:10 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

White Male Mid thirties, I grew up in South Florida. My mother is a Democrat and Jewish (non practicing), My father is agnostic and worked for Jimmy Carter but now is a Republican. Both sides of my family were very involved in politics.

I grew up "above middle class" and fucked around in high school. I have a BA in Psychology from the University of South Florida 2.8 GPA?.( Unfortunately I fucked around in college too.)

Joined the Peace Corps (Guatemala, Central America.) Met my Wife( she was also a Peace Corps Volunteer.) in Honduras. She is Hispanic and From San Antonio and that is what brought me the Great State of Texas.

Was a Civilian Social Worker in the City Police Department for 10 years. The Sworn Personal all Bitched that I was a Liberal. (the Irony) One day I realized that I could not do 20 more years of this and quit!

Now I am Mr. Mom during the week and on the weekends I work with some friends/family Catering at company Picnics, Private Parties, State Fairs/Festivals and lots of Rodeos. We have two Tejano Conjunto Events that we do on our own. it is a lot of Fun, but i am not getting rich.

My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and I have two daughters, 8 and 2 years old that I love very much. I try to live every day like it is a New Life.

And Catalysis said it best

"I have had a good time here and learned a lot. This is the most intelligent and balanced political forum on the net. "

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Innvertigo] * 1
    #5192341 - 01/17/06 06:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I will be 50 this year. I spent the first 10 years of my life in Brooklyn and then moved way upstate to a town of 800 in the Thousand Islands. Because of my promise I was sent to a boarding school near Syracuse. I was a scholarship kid on merit. It was a pretty positive experience. We had a dress code and the dorms reeked of pot. My first concert was Black Sabbath and Mountain. My second was breaking into Jethro Tull for the Thick As A Brick show. I have always been seriously underestimated athleticly. I am very (strike that, was very) quick and faster than most. I was the stealth student. I hung out with the lowlifes because they were more fun and had better dope. My SATs were a major surprise to the other people in my class (SATs were posted).
I went to college in Buffalo (great party town, SHIT weather). During the summers I worked (begged for and was lucky to get) construction. I started out premed/psych. Old man wouldn't pay if I majored in English. Can't say I blame him. Dumped premed plans when I realized it was gonna be work. Took the courses anyway, just didn't care about the grade. Realized psych was total religion. Also realized it was a cake degree. Had a great fucking time and learned what I wanted to. Dissected a monkey and lectured on left hemisphere language ability. Played intramural football on an elite team (200 team league, no school team, all-county teammates).
Moved away, anywhere South, which ended up being Lexington KY. Strange town. Shit pay in construction but a cool party place. Punk club opened, Club Au GoGo owned by a transvestite heir with endless cash. Heard Johnny Depp mention ole Bradley in an interview once. Quite the character.
Moved back to NY. Westchester Cty. Got more experience and became a contractor at 28. It doesn't suck to be a quality contractor in one of the richest parts of the world. Any reasonably competent tradesperson can work for themselves and make very good money. A little more savvy and go for it attitude and there is no limit. Second wife done right. 16 yr old daughter may just be smarter than me. A dancer and pretty too. I am well armed.
Was always of a mind to be left alone. You don't owe me, I don't owe you. Ran into Ayn Rand at a point when she pretty much just encapsulated what I thought independantly. Stopped believing in god when I realized there weren't really flying reindeer. That shit just didn't work for me. When 47 people are telling you that their way is the only way the odds are that they're all full of shit. Same for psychotherapy. Same for a lot of things.

Finally, I love it here. This place leans no more left than any other group that tends to this age group. Most people are able to articulate their ideas, no matter their merit, more than fairly well. There is also a punching bag faction that just keeps coming back. Most of all, I like the opportunity to write and be read. I've had a few great lines here (and read a few)and they never would have existed at all if not for the Shroomery

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5192837 - 01/17/06 08:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thank all of you for your wonderful responses. I think this sort of thread is good (and necessary) so we can feel a little compassion and kindness for the next member, regardless of how their views differ from our own.

Once again, thank you. I enjoyed reading all of the posts and hope that others will share with us.

:heart:

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #5193904 - 01/18/06 01:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting thread, theres alot of you I'm curious about. Its cool to see what makes you all tick.

I dont post here that often anymore, but I'll fill ya'll in anyway.

I'm a 23 year old Male from the Lake Michigan Coast of Wisconsin, in the US. I'm currently in my Senior year at the University of Wisconsin, about 4 months away from graduating with a Geology/Geophysics degree.

I'm an extremely liberal person, both personally and politically. The state of Wisconsin as relatively high taxes to support the large amount of social programs we have in this state. I dont have a problem with this. My family is extremely poor. I remember my father when I was in middle school having to go to the local welfare office to get a check. He worked two jobs, but we still needed extra help. Without government assistance, there is literally no way I could attend school. As it is, the government grants me low interest loans so I can pursue my education. My experience with social programs has been nothing but positive. I think people tend to lump those who recieve government aid as "Lazy" or "Stupid". But I dont believe this. I feel strongly that while some people may abuse the system, there are an equal if not greater number who utlize well and truly appreciate the help the receive.

I've voted Democrat in every election I've been able to vote in. This doesnt mean I toe the party line though. I own a hand-gun and do no support gun control. I would say the most important political issues to me are the environment and Education. The Republicans have proven themselves time and again to be complacent with destroying the environment for short-term gains, as well as undermining the educational system to further their own agenda. See "The Clear Skies Act" and the preaching of "Intelligent Design" as examples.

As for future plans for myself, I should be graduated in a few months and hope to find a job with the Forestry/Nat'l Park service, either here in WI or elsewhere. I would love to know I'm doing a small part to help repair the damage that humans have done to the planet. (Yes, I hug Trees)

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblelouisrose
Mr.
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
    #5199747 - 01/19/06 04:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Republican here, but don't like labels. More of a peripheralist, far right on some issues, far left on others. Like to eat mushrooms though, edible ones, though had my fair share of shrooms back in the day. B.A. Polisci UNF Summa. Check out my poltics page at www.louisrose.com

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #5203055 - 01/20/06 01:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i'm in my early 20s, half white (mostly slavic), and half indian (the country, not native american). was born and raised in the midwest (ohio, then michigan) - moved to Norway when i was 17, to go to an international school for two years (a united world college, if anybody knows of those). I lived there for two school years, then moved to K?benhavn, Denmark for some months. Moved back to Michigan, got a job (computer programming, systems administration, etc) for a friend's company. Moved back to Denmark (?rhus this time), lived there until this past fall. Had come back to the States, planning on moving to Vancouver where I was supposed to attend the University of British Columbia (on quite a lot of scholarship) - however, couldn't get a visa due to having an OWI on my record. So am working fulltime now, and will probably go back to university in the fall somewhere.

As for politics, my upbringing was focused much more on a spiritual life (my father is quite an avid hindu) - but when I was about 15 or so, I started becoming interested in economics/politics/etc. Was a "Marxist" before i really knew what it meant. Have since learned a lot, lived a lot, and thought a lot - in terms of political parties in the states that i mostly support, I guess you'd call me a Green. I also draw a lot of inspiration for my political philosophy from the philosophy(s) behind the open-source movement, as well as from my spiritual beliefs.

I guess that's about it...

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #5212539 - 01/22/06 10:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Birthyear: 1966
Sex: male
Race: caucasian
State: California
Political Views: very liberal
Political Party: Green
Religion: athiest
Degrees:
    BS Mechanical Engineering, '91
    BS Mathematical Science, '91
    BS Engineering Sciences, '91
    Masters in Business Administration, '03
Past work experience:
    US Air Force - 8 years
    Program manager, material handling equipment - 2 years
    Current Occupation: Product Manager, semiconductor processing equipment - since 2004

Other:

I believe it is important to understand the benefits and drivers behind both Laissez-faire economics and pure Communism, as well as the shortcomings of each.

I strongly agree with Innvertigo on one very important point:  GO BLUE!!!

Edited by Falcon91Wolvrn03 (04/27/09 11:22 AM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #5213631 - 01/23/06 09:10 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I strongly agree with Innvertigo on one very important point: GO BLUE!!!

:thumbup:

I bleed Blue and Maize.

OfflineCosmic_Dragon
Stranger
Female
Loc: New Brunswick
    #5365129 - 03/04/06 03:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

19/Female...
Only child, I've been into music, dancing and arts my whole life...
on my spare time I luv to play pool, play piano, sing, go out with friends, try new things, learn, spend time with the self and others...
Born in Connecticut, moved to North Carolina, Then To New Brunswick, Then to Ontario and then back to New Brunswick....
I'm currently in College taking Multimedia
I luv to fill my head with information....I enjoy philosophy, phycology, spirituality, graphology.....a lot of logy's and phy's anyway, haha....
Politics I was never into but a lot but I have a lot of opinions on the state of the world....I refuse to choose a party and say i'm that....I think humans have a big need to categorize themselves...which all in all just seperates us as humans.....First off I think the governments currupt as it is with all the secrets and the scandals and the lies....not only that but humans run the ideas behind it and you know...humans will be humans........ Second, Any party that has most of their problems decided upon before they even appear....idiots...no offense but idiots......
I don't really think theres much difference between facism and communism.....the big difference is communism makes it blunt that you don't have control...and facism gives you some leeway so that you think you have some control....either way, to change the way it is you need something.......LeGenDarY!!! mwhahah haha haha.....ah um, yes...

Apart from that....rock on , i luv you each in different ways!!!

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Cosmic_Dragon]
    #5365257 - 03/04/06 04:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the forums.  This, and the Culinary Arts, are the best.  Add some shit and enjoy our ramblings.

And get them sentences in order, that was too hard to read :laugh:

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineCosmic_Dragon
Stranger
Female
Loc: New Brunswick
Re: About me (and you) [Re: daimyo]
    #5365292 - 03/04/06 05:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

haha thank you!!

I will try to keep my sentances in order next time...my thought process is kinda all over the place ha  :smile:

Invisiblebukkake
LEFT WING NUT
Male

Loc: Classified
    #5396413 - 03/13/06 06:48 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

20, New Jersey, highschool dropout, community college. This semester I intended to major in political science and journalism, now I would like to major in sociology and/or history. My life revolves around school, work, and alcohol. I posted here regularly before this. Hungarian/Puerto Rican mix and living in a city where Hispanics account for over 70% of the population and I am in the minority.

This Summer I am going to central Europe and in the Fall living/working in the UK. I will decide what to do with my academics after that one. If my EU citizenship through ancestry goes through, I will remain and enroll in an English or Scottish university.

My parents are the apathetic, non-voting, working class, live paycheck-to-paycheck sort. Moderate liberals, I suppose.

Politically, I veer towards elements of anarchy, socialism, and libertarianism. I question those all the time because of the necessary assumption of humans in order for any of those systems to function. It's tough business.

Offlineke1n
Stranger
Male

Re: About me (and you) [Re: bukkake]
    #5401349 - 03/14/06 09:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

21. I grew up in Kuwait, lived in Cape Cod throughout some of my childhood as well. My origin is complicated, but I was born American. My entire time in Kuwait while being an adolecent was to move back to the US. My home. The opportunities, the girls, the lifestyle, fuck yeah.

Asside from the CLinton-Lewinsky scandal, I didn't care for politics. At 9/11 and beyond I was forced into politics. 9/11 changed everything. It changed the discussions my friends and I would have, how my remaining time in Kuwait would turn out, and most importantly how life in America would be when I get back.

I won't label myself conservative or liberal when it comes to politics. I will claim neither. Morally, I would be a conservative though. I don't like the direction our country is heading. Our administration is genius, and has the average American by the balls in fear.

All I can say about my observations af people at the places I have been fortuniate enough to see is too many people all over the world develop opinions too fast and react to them in stupid ways. People are ALL the same wherever you go.

--------------------

Everything that is posted, including pictures and text, are a result of fictional storytelling using images found online and/or created using the latest graphics software. I am a fictional writer who likes to explore the internet world.
------------------------------------

http://www.adobe.com/

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: About me (and you) [Re: ke1n]
    #5411255 - 03/17/06 01:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

grad from The University _ with a Bcomm, Finance Major, Math and Stats Minor. Hated the scholastic experience because I never found it conducive to the pursuit of knowledge. The place was designed to hand out degrees, I wanted to learn. I've toyed with the idea of going back for a BA or even a BS in Biology but that is just being kicked around.

And I just got a subscription to The Economist so I thought I'd brush up on my worldly knowledge.

Edited by Noetical (03/20/12 04:33 PM)

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #5443956 - 03/26/06 11:58 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Male. Early 20s. Still a student. Sometimes a little nervous about where my life is heading. Lots of other details can be dug up with a search.

I started posting in PA&L soon after I came to the Shroomery, and it's really the only section of the site I visit anymore. This isn't because I love politics, but because I think most of the other forums aren't as good. I never had an interest in politics before I came here. However, I was raised in a somewhat political household, with both my parents being buddhist socialist sorts who still go to protests today (my Mom, given her age, has taken up, albeit in a loose way, with a group called the Raging Grannies). My Dad came from a conservative Catholic NYC area family. My Mom from a politically split family in Oakridge, TN (both my grandparents on that side were involved at a very low level of the Manhattan project, which my Grandmother was dismissed from when her past as a teenage Depression era distributor of socialist fliers was found out). Both my parents, my Mom especially, grew their political views from religious beliefs they had learned at their place of meeting; a Zen temple in upstate NY. I recognized this and because I had no interest in Buddhism at any age, I was sorta suspect of the politics I was raised with. Or at least I was bored with it. That said, there's no real telling how much of an impact it all had on me. I know I considered myself liberal when I came to this board, and nothing's changed to make me think of myself any other way. But I don't really know what liberal means. Now that I've gotten to feel people's reactions to how spread out my actual positions have become, I think I've realized that being a liberal or conservative has almost nothing to do with reality and is just a sort of personal psychological taste, like preferring certain types of clothing. My sister, who's become very political, has different views than me. She likes to only shop at Fair Trade establishments and feels very strongly about communal business. But we recognize that we're still on the same side of the fence, because we both still approach issues in the same fashion. Doesn't really matter which way we decide.

And deciding on political issues has become nearly impossible for me. This board has been successful at making me weigh each one very carefully, cause there's almost always good arguments on either side. A lot of people here are able to passionately argue and justify their views because they have a real ideal, whether it's the Constitution or Buddha or Freedom or Socialism or Jesus Christ or Capitalism or whatever. I'm not one of these people. I don't get to hold on to any of these things because they all just seem like bullshit when applied to what we're all here debating. Being free and loving your brother and having a way exchange the physical manifestation of your family's hard work are all cool things, but unfortunately, to the best I can tell, they all insist on being left in an untouchable and infinite state of purity. And if there's a way to apply a pure standard to even 1 thousand people, let alone 6 billion, I haven't seen a historical example. So I've left myself to fend with less. This is depressing and sometimes makes me worry that I'm heading toward nihilism.

Right now, I put a bit of thought into something Phred brings up from time to time, which is collectivism versus... individualism I guess. I feel like most of my political indecision comes from this and I've gone back and forth on the issue. I feel like both sides are well argued, have good historical representation and are definitely both present in our biology. Hopefully, someone might come along with merger of the two that I can live with. Or maybe I need to throw this in with the bullshit. But either way, I'm can't help thinking that I'll never find a real footing in politics and, if my time in PA&L is any indication, I might get even more confused. The confusion feels really debilitating and sticky. These days, I look at myself as someone who came to this forum 2 years ago asking advise about a splinter, and have since had several major operations performed, leaving me strapped on the table with my guts spilled everywhere. My time here has affected me, and there are times that I'll get emotional in the middle of a thread. This is almost never directed at any of you, but instead a personal frustration with myself for being conflicted over an issue. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for most everyone here.

I feel like PA&L really is a great place. When Iraq heated up, I visited a few other boards, and was pretty disgusted. Just petty bickering and people throwing their respective party's tag lines at each other, with very little originality and nobody willing to change their opinion. Things seem different here. We've got a group where most of us are young, independent and have a strong desire to try on new ideas... Shit I just realized how long this thing has gotten. Alright, that's my piece. Uh, at least some of it is about me. Much love to all PA&L people and especially our esteemed mods and admins. -G

edit: added a few things

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Edited by Gijith (03/26/06 12:06 PM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Gijith]
    #5444148 - 03/26/06 01:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you. :thumbup:

:smile:

OfflineACN45
Stranger
    #5457505 - 03/29/06 09:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Im a male, 19 years old. I am currently dicking around at the local community college where I live in Virginia. School isnt really my thing even though I enjoy learning. My favorite tv channels are the history channel, national geographic, and the national geographic Science Channel. I am currently starting my own business on ebay and opening up an auction house near where I live in the comming months. I am a decent golfer and hope to get a partial ride at some point in the next couple of years to a college on it.
This forum has opened my eyes to a lot of different political views that I would never have seen had it not been for the shroomery. I am unsure of my political affiliation to an extent, but have the general views similiar to libertarians. I am not religious at all and tend to view religious people with disdain no matter their religion.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: About me (and you) [Re: ACN45]
    #5458545 - 03/30/06 07:07 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Male late forties masters in Organic Chemistry Cal Poly SLO head of R/D Pentachem co 80-84.
Mother emotionaly distant bar tender who "loaned" me to her friends as a teen for sexual favor
Stepfather,Ex golden glove fighter and wise guy was into teaching us how to hurt people, screwing my brother and beating me to hell.

Myself, a conscious decision was made to not pepetuate this sickeness in my own family and I have three really awesome kids because of it.
Politicaly I would just as soon shoot 'em all and start over with a citizen appointed government (like jury duty)but with qualifications. Such as no monetary ties to corporations or political groups and a much smaller scope of influence. I do not believe in corporate capitalism although personal capitalism is motivating IMO.
I guess you would call me a modern tribalist with the ideal social group model being communities of 200 or so with geographical separation and a largely autonomous governance. In other word I am an irrational pipe dreamer largely not fully comfortable in the existing society. I can spot trends in power quite accurately and without partisan influence. I have an unusual perspective on most issues due to psychedelic metaprogramming in the seventies(~.75g pure white LSD delivered to my waiting mouth on my moistened thumb) and the leary method of a sustained dosage of 1mg+ daily for 4months. Ask many of the OLD timers still here how I can turn logic on it's head logicaly. In short I am a wild spirit in a tame world and I think and move in ways that would confound most of the outside observers. I have however been a relatively succesfull personal capitalist and expect to retire in a couple yrs to Potugal (my home country).
I will then torture you all with my decriminalized ethnogarden of over sixty cactus species, various entheogenic tropical plants and pile of shit full of Ps hispanica.
PS I will always pity the poor fool who tries to change me or take my plant allies

I am making a short return to the forum to see if some of my old buddies are still about...Slcorch,Markos, Baby Hitler, any old timers left here?
WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Edited by whiterasta (03/30/06 07:09 AM)

InvisibleSmokenBabyJesus
Smoker of Religious Figures

Loc: Maryland
Re: About me (and you) [Re: ke1n]
    #5458641 - 03/30/06 07:58 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

19 year old male live in the US.
Kicked out of high school a few times.
Dropped out of high school.
Got GED. Went to community college. Could not get work in on time...
Waiting to sign back up for classes.

I don't deal much with politics..
I am more concerned with person to person interactions.
I am trying to learn as much as I can..I seem to teach myself better than others teach me... I am into philosophy... I have a strong pull towards Buddhism...I constantly have that feeling inside of me as if something Great is on the tip of my tongue(though it never takes substance).

I've have been reading these post learning more and more from you all and I just want to say thank you all..

Peace
SmokenBabyJesus

--------------------
"Where that boy at??"

OfflineAkamatsu
Seeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Australia
Re: About me (and you) [Re: SmokenBabyJesus]
    #5458998 - 03/30/06 09:39 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

20 year old white male, living in Queensland Australia. Both my parents were born and raised in Kenya, I grew up in the rainforests of far north Queensland. Did well in high school, went to uni to do Mechatronic engineering. Struggled with depression after a messy break up, deferred uni for 6 months and did some volunteer work in Costa Rica and Nicaragua making paths for ecotourism and building schools. Now I'm back at uni finishing off my degree.

I got really into politics and religion in my late teens, not so much because I was interested in it but because I thought it would make me an interesting person. After a bit of thought, I realised it doesn't really matter what label you brand your opinions and ideas, all I was doing was hindering my freedom and creativity by trying to freeze the dynamic world around me with ridged theories.

Understanding how my mind works and what the pure elements are that make up my thoughts and desires is much more important to me now then trying to be a figure that I think other people will find interesting. I hope to save the world one day, but for now I need to focus on saving myself.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #5460848 - 03/30/06 04:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

what's your favorite color and do you put out on the first date?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About me (and you) [Re: afoaf]
    #5462488 - 03/31/06 12:15 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Blue and yes, for the right gal. :wink:

Invisibleshriek

#5462528 - 03/31/06 12:42 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

im 28 yr male, from the arctics of norway living far away from civilization (but still in touch you might say)., I dont have any school I spent most of my youth doing crime and time. I spent 1.5 year in prison for hash smuggling. After jail i went to this small place i live now under the midnight sun. I am married and a father to two girls today. I make my living using the nature i have around me. among other i rent out huts near lakes where you can fish for salmon, often to german corporations, for a very good price. Also I grow vegetables and such and sell- I
when it comes to politics im very satisfied how things works around me. I dont know what you can call me political wise. I just like to argue. especfially with americans because their views on so many things are so extremly diffrent than what i am used to hear from people here. i have an opinon on most things and i dont really care if the rest of the world disagrees with me in some cases.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #5498592 - 04/09/06 11:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

im a 24 yr old male. i was born in ohio, near cleveland where i lived for 5 years until my father was transfered. From age 5 to 15 i lived in Baltimore, Maryland, well a suburb of the city. My family was middle class, my mother left her job as a teacher when i was born to stay at home raising my sister and I. At 15 I moved back to the CLeveland area of ohio. I finished high school in Ohio, jerked around for a few years then went to college. I did the community college thing and then university. Now I have a fairly decent job selling cars for a giant autogroup (biggest in NE ohio).

Politcally im left of center. Im not a complete commie however... I would be more centrist if the current republicans in power werent such war mongering, bible thumping coporate sellouts. I dont believe in just handing lazy people all sorts of free stuff... then again i dont believe in a country like this anyone should be starving. i do believe in war and killing if its needed. What makes me despise todays republicans is theyre ties to evangelical christianity. Im sickened how they have to pander to fucking whackos for votes. I find it hypocrytical for them to denounce muslim fundamentalim and embrace christian fundamentalism.

anyway...boh my parents are fiercly democratic. my father was very involved in the democratic party through the 60s and 70s. he was actually in LA at the hotel when RFK got shot. he kinda became disillusioned with politics when they elected reagan.

Offlinevashroom
Stranger
Loc: Virginia
Re: About me (and you) [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #5530354 - 04/18/06 04:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I am a 51 year old male from Virginia. I have spent most of my life in a small industrial city where I worked at a chemical plant until I had to retire early because of health problems. I started taking LSD and anything else I could find about 1973. I always enjoyed the psychedelics a lot & I still do, however, I only use shrooms now.

I got arrested for both felony and misdemeanor drug charges when I was 19 and got a couple of years supervised probation. In 1981 I was arrested on a marijuana charge and got 12 months good behavior, but if the cop had checked closer I would have probably gone to prison.

I grew up in a very religious family but I have never been very religious. I have also been all over the spectrum politically but down inside I am basically an anarchist. My main point of departure from most political beliefs is my belief that " When it comes to my personal life, the government has no rights." I refuse to modify my behavior or my beliefs for anyone.

OfflineSoulSuuckinJERK
Quit Fueling MySilent Rage

Re: About me (and you) [Re: vashroom]
    #5745547 - 06/13/06 11:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Once again another Mid-West college student on the boards, and like the original poster, an admirer of political science. Im an education major with emphasis in social studies (poly sci and geography)

I grew up below the poverty line with two brothers (under a single mother) but we lived in a small midwest town just south of a major city, so around christmas time we always had boxes of food from various community service organizations on our doorstep...not to mention, we always were getting assistance in some way outside of the christmas spirit.

Anyways, my love for Political Science has always been unnoticed until i took a few college courses. There are two courses that stand out in my mind as absolutely wonderful. The professors truly loved what they taught, and both were highly intelligent (one has 3 doctorates and is past retirement age but loves what he does...hes also a millionaire i assume from the companies he has told the class about. He is also a political advisor for BOTH major parties. And the other professor holds 2 doctorates and always talks about his rock band in the 80's. He never mentioned his previous schooling and i found out when i searched his name on my campus home page.)

Anyways, after the longest () ever, these two professors have totally brought down every pre-concieved notion i have had about politics. A former anarchist/punk/uninformed, uneducated imbicil, i have completely changed my ways of thinking. Im no longer an anarchist...in fact its embarassing that i ever bought into such nonsense (fucking SLC PUNK coupled with my youth...).

Im sorry im all over the place with this, but what im comming to say i guess im a left wing thinker, with no party identification. Im not quite a socialist, democrat, republican, or anything else of that matter, but i wouldnt call myself a true and loyal independent either.

I guess when it all comes down to it there is no 'right' way of thinking. Every form of government is truly an experiment that is being tested by time. The horrifying truth is, America has the oldest democracy/republic of any ever known. As an average, most democracies last for around 200 years (cited from my poly sci book), so it is interesting to watch a country with a less than 50% voter turn out rate on major PRESIDENTIAL elections (congressional elections are never above the 40% turn out), take its course longer than it should have averaged. The American people dont care, and slowly and surley we have slipped to more of a representative republic, and who knows where it will go from here.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: About me (and you) [Re: SoulSuuckinJERK]
    #5781124 - 06/22/06 04:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am a 15 year old male from Connecticut. I am republican, and enjoy the hate there is on this forum.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Edited by root-ninja-tak (06/22/06 04:13 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: About me (and you) [Re: tak]
    #5781259 - 06/22/06 04:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

root-ninja-tak said:
I am a 15 year old male from Connecticut. I am republican, and enjoy the hate there is on this forum.

Let's do lunch. We can play "Hide the Action Figure."
Breathlessly,
Father O'Blivion

--------------------

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: About me (and you) [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5788265 - 06/24/06 11:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a 22-year-old male living in south-eastern Ontario. My family are all leftist, and I'm no exception. I'd say I'm a socialist-anarchist of no fixed political party, not that party affliations mean much.

In terms of employment and academic credentials, I've graduated high-school(with OAC) but by the time I'd done that got so disgusted with formal education I've abandoned the prospect of post-secondary education permanently. Employment's about money, to my mind, and money and material comforts matter very little. As a result, there are multi-month periods where I disappear from the Shroomery for want of a computer or internet connection.

I'm generally a very peaceful and relaxed person (see posts of mine in the S&P), but people on this forum aren't likely to see this as politics is the one thing that really gets me angry. I've tended to avoid posting on this forum because I worry I'll go off at people who disagree with me and flame them a new asshole, and I'd hate to do that. So I apologize in advance to anyone I might get grumpy with, please feel free to take it personally though.

This thread is a fantastic idea, I was already getting ready to dislike zappaisgod from other threads on this forum, but I now know that at the very least, I like his sense of humour-> 'Let's do lunch. We can play "Hide the Action Figure."'

Finally, if what I'm saying is bugging you too much, just take a deep breath and read my sig.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineTwIg
Pariah
Male

Loc: IL USA
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Panoramix]
    #5837832 - 07/09/06 01:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm mid-20's. I grew up in NW Illinois, middle of the cornfields. Not a farm though, as many do assume. My father bought several acres of woodland and moved a large house into the middle of it. He loved to witness and examine nature (and occasionally shoot and eat it). That respect for the living environment was passed on to myself and siblings.

I grew up in a normal enough family. When I hit teenage years, I got heavy into drugs. Mostly acid and weed... then onto harder shit when I was about 17 or 18. By 20, my family had written me off as a lost cause. I couldn't hold a job, dropped out of high school and couldn't afford college. I was a shitbag, plain and simple. The only thing I was good at was getting laid. One day i woke up, hated myself and changed. I joined the military (one of the ones with boats, i'll let you guess) and cleaned up. I'm proud of that only because I've never gotten in trouble, even while watching everyone around me get nailed for something. My family now treat me with respect, and aren't ashamed of me.

I was just married to a this June. I plan on getting out of the military at the start of next year so I can go to college.

All in all, I'm not a very "personable" person. I've found myself actually writing full paragraphs and then deleting them because I don't know what I want you to read. I'm usually the quiet one that everyone knows but keeps to himself. I guess I like being that way though. You learn a lot more if you shut up and listen.

Me, in a nutshell.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: About me (and you) [Re: TwIg]
    #5928671 - 08/03/06 01:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm a 31 years old male, i have a bachelor degree on computers and management. I was born in Portugal right after the end of the fascist regime and immigrated to Venezuela when i was 7 years old. I studied in a catholic college, attending Spanish classes in the morning and Portuguese in the afternoon. I came back to southern Europe when i was 13. I always liked computers, so i began programming at that age, and that's what i do for a living since 1997. I'm also a proud father of a 9 year old beautiful girl, she's very smart and talented, like her mother :wink:

My mother was raised in the "working catholic youth" under the fascist regime, but now she sees herself as socialist, although she has some right leaning attitudes now and then. My father was forced to fight the colonial war in Angola for three years, at first he was a die hard communist but now he sees himself as a socialist as well. First time i read Marx and Mao, were by my fathers books, although i think he probably threw them to the fire already.

Since i came back from Venezuela, life has been hard on me. I helped my father on what he was doing at the time, be it working as a carpenter, as a mechanic or with metal, or even helping to build my parents house, and studying at the same time. I'm someone who values other people hard work and their capacity to succeed in life. I'm also a spiritual person, but you would only be aware of that after knowing me better. I'm an agnostic/theist, i try to respect other peoples beliefs, and also expect others do the same. I also like art, i paint, draw and play some musical instruments as well.

Politically speaking, before reading Mao and Marx, or before knowing something deeper about politics, i saw myself as a centrist. Then, i had my communist phase but that ended when i was 19, and when i realized that all actual political systems are a diversion to the real problems mankind faces. I became apolitical and started reading Bakunin and P.Kropotkin, which enlightened me about the social mechanics under the different political regimes.

Although some might consider myself as an anarchist, and i won't deny it, my objective with politics is to work towards a legitimate objective, which is to free mankind from any oppression, be it political, economic or social. Nevertheless, i am aware that we as a whole, have different needs due to different values and personalities. I know things won't change in the near future, so i consider most political system as intermediary to what's to come. I respect democracy in it's pure form, and i see institutions as a necessary evil to structure our society. I see the state as an organism having its responsibilities towards society, so i don't mind paying taxes as long as i and my family have a secure health care system.

Right now, I'm not affiliated to any party, but I'm part of the "left block movement" as an independent. Although left winged, this movement is not communist (we are known as Trotskists though :grin:) , we fight for drug legalization, we are pro choice and in favor of a more transparent and caring society. Hey, we got 12% of votes on the last general election :wink:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: About me (and you) [Re: MAIA]
    #5932507 - 08/04/06 06:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, it about time I guess......

I am white male that has lived in Michigan, California, Indiana, Virginia, and Illinois in the past 10 years. I have seen much of the Middle East and the Orient due to my military service. I am a decorated disabled veteran, however, my real belief, is that the real heroes are the ones that never make it back home. Unfortunately, this has encompassed the vast majority of my friends; my wife is my true happiness.

So why am I here? Well, after battling alcoholism (something that I still fight with)and the brainwashing of the military, I started to change my views about the world I live in. At heart, I am a Conservative (not a Republican clone) but I am open minded and try not to be too judgmental. I believe that the "war on drugs" is a farce, and contributes negatively to the society we live in. I believe in limited government, but a strong defense for its populace. I think that the current representation in our government, does not truly represent the composition of America. I stay in this forum, because my views have been challenged here, more then any other place.

With all of its flaws, I still think America is still the greatest country on Earth.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.”

InvisibleUSMCamputee
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: About me (and you) [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5954978 - 08/11/06 07:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Great thread, glad to see it.

Me? Well, okay. I am a 22 year old male, location I will withhold for security reasons, former Marine, veteran of OIF, and an amputee. I served with the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines, AKA "Lava Dogs". I collect firearms and have several. I am currently considering my education options. I would like to work with metals, and be able to weld/mill/forge and become a master of all metalworking trades...

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: About me (and you) [Re: USMCamputee]
    #5955000 - 08/11/06 07:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What do they do with you after you become an amputee, if you don't mind me asking. What do you get, like $1000/ month = free meds?

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

InvisibleUSMCamputee
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Booby]
    #5955015 - 08/11/06 08:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I am in the "Marine for Life" program, basically you get taken care of until I can get "back into society and make a smooth transition back into the community". It isn't free money for the rest of your life, just until they match you with a job that you also like. Yes there is free healthcare and funding for education. Also childcare, housing, the whole 9. Unfortunately for me I was never married nor did I ever have any children. That opportunity was obviously squandered thank you very much Uncle Fucking Scam.

Edited by USMCamputee (08/11/06 08:05 PM)

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
    #5955042 - 08/11/06 08:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Wow. I figured they'd pension you off.

--------------------
Let it not be remembered

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
    #5955060 - 08/11/06 08:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

So I guess, um, drugs & rock 'n roll are all you have to live for? writing, songwriting

--------------------
Let it not be remembered

Edited by Booby (08/11/06 08:29 PM)

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5955434 - 08/11/06 11:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i'm a lot less serious in real life than @ the shroomy. :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleUSMCamputee
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5955508 - 08/12/06 12:43 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I can not speak for the other branches. I have heard of Army guys getting a DV check, permanently. I would assume it is this way across the board. Brother, the government is alot smarter now than they were, say, 40 years ago. They now have these bullshit programs to keep their costs down. No different than these big corporations.

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: About me (and you) [Re: wilshire]
    #5955837 - 08/12/06 06:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:
i'm a lot less serious in real life than @ the shroomy.

You don't have to explain yourself to me.

--------------------
Let it not be remembered

Offlineyounikrawn
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: Corvallis, OR
    #5957621 - 08/12/06 08:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I am 19 years old, female, Irish and Danish.  I grew up in a small town in southeastern Wisconsin for the first 11 years of my life, then had to move to Arizona, then North Dakota, then Oregon.  People say I come off as snotty/bitchy just because I am quiet.  I also randomly quote TV/ movies, so I confuse people who don't share the same interests. 

I dress mostly "Gothic".  I am proud of my anti-tan.  I listen to gothic music, but also have a wide range of musical interests.  I love Star Trek, Family Guy, Futurama, and of course The Simpsons. 

In high school I was very heavily involved with AFjROTC.  For those unfamiliar with that, is it a high school class with no official military relationship or commitment, but it teaches military history, military style leadership and management.  At the end of my high school years I was the highest ranking cadet in the program =].  I graduated with a 3.7 GPA

In fall I start my path in becoming a Respiratory Therapist, just like my mom.  I am a conservative liberal eclectic pagan. 

I think that's all for now.... :captain:

--------------------
Don't dream it;be it
===================================

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: younikrawn]
    #5957671 - 08/12/06 08:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alright ill guess ill go,

Im 21 years old, and I was born in Miami and i lived their for 8 years, Parents are divorced, Ive always had a interest in world history, My first major muses in life was Civil War history, I was a voracious reader of any history book i could get my hands on. I never did good in school and i dropped out in 9th grade, I completed my highschool diploma after i dropped out. I now reside in Atlanta, GA.

I went to College and majored in Networking. I dropped out of college and now i guess all options are open.My major pursuit is self-employment.

I at one time was a card carrying republican before Bush was elected in 2000, i never liked Bush and I preferred McCain.Now I dont like either. Ive always been involved in Politics when i was young and frequently debate with my parents and friends.

My major interests are Population Psychology and and Modern Military tactics, Im a avid reader of Military theorists like Boyd,Lind,Clausewitz and many others. Ill classify my political philosophy as a Centrist/Constitutionalist.

Edited by The_Red_Crayon (10/23/06 12:49 PM)

OfflineNamelessRevolt
Stranger
Re: About me (and you) [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5993242 - 08/24/06 04:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm 19 years old. Currently attending my university with a psychology degree, but I am going to change that to Computer Science because I want to learn computer security.

I don't take college seriously, though.

I'm a fascist in that I believe that the strong should rule the weak, and the clever rule the strong. (Boyd Rice). I also believe that most people are utterly incapable of any form of leadership and thus must be ruled. Most people must also die because they don't have any positive qualities.

I'm an enemy of democracy and I hate all forms of populism. I'm an elitist.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: NamelessRevolt]
    #5993556 - 08/24/06 05:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sounds nice.

OfflineAndy21
Armchairanarchist

Re: About me (and you) [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #6053642 - 09/12/06 01:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey hey, I am a 22 year old English guy. I graduated with an environmental science degree from Manchester University. My freshman uni year got me into politics and introduced me to psilocybin tampanesis, they were still legal to buy fresh in the headshops in the UK at the time. I got to spend a year of my degree in Buffalo NY on a student exchange and that completely changed my perception of life/the world. So much so that I now am at a loss as to what I want out of life  :grin: I was there during the election and that was a really exciting time on the campus. I got into the daily show and all that and now understand more about American politics than I do about English.
I am currently broke while I search for a job, it sucks but I guess it's just a phase.  I like this forum because people don't pull any punches and force you to put up or shut up in regard to evidence, it helps to have your beliefs challenged. Despite the arguments and ruffled feathers here I think you are all interesting insightful people, reading about your lives confirms that.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Andy21]
    #6055732 - 09/12/06 10:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a 20 year old male born in Moscow, Russia but moved to the USA at 9 years old. Right now I am attending a state university and majoring in Biochemistry & Biotechnology. I have a 3.7 GPA and I absolutely-fucking-love science.

My parents divorced when I was still a kid in Russia. Then my Dad moved to the US and then I moved here too; my mom moved a few years later and my parents remarried. They basically wanted me to have a better life in the US because Russia did not have a hospitable envirnoment. Our suburn of Moscow had its own Mafia which had the cops on the pay roll. Then there was conscription into the Russian army where a few thousand Russian kids die every year because of abuse.

When I moved to America I attended an all black school, well, almost black because it had 3 other white kids out of like 1000. I went here because it had a language program for immigrants. Then I jumped around a few other public schools and then ended up at a private college prep high school from which I graduated.

As for the future I will probably get a masters in biochemistry or possibly go pre-med. As for jobs I will probably work for a pharmaceutical company, biotech firm, chemicals company, or a hospital. If I lose all interest in this or fail then I will join the military.

I became interested in politics during the 2001 election. I saw myself as a democrat during that time but as time went on I ended up in the middle. I am pro gay rights, pro abortion, pro immigration, pro taxes, pro legal prostitution, pro decriminalization of weed, and pro war.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: About me (and you) [Re: downforpot]
    #6071252 - 09/17/06 03:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

downforpot said:
Then there was conscription into the Russian army where a few thousand Russian kids die every year because of abuse.

I've seen a few videos, it wasnt the worst in violation of human dignity and
actual bodily harm I've see but considering these people are supposed to be
tovarish, it ranked as far worse than prisoners have recieved.

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #6129754 - 10/03/06 05:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a middle aged male with no prospects, no soul and

no future. I pass this on to you only because I've been

enlightened by my own mistakes. I have plenty of money,

which you all think important, but I payed a price...

my existence.

is it worth the price

Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

Loc: Much love to you all
Re: About me (and you) *DELETED* [Re: Schwammel]
    #6130216 - 10/03/06 07:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by uber_aj

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: About me (and you) [Re: uber_aj]
    #6130277 - 10/03/06 08:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Please be civil in my forum. If you continue with the antagonistic behavior, you will be banned.
-Redstorm

Edited by Redstorm (10/03/06 08:09 PM)

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Schwammel]
    #6130365 - 10/03/06 08:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

please remove your complaint from my moniker

Offlinesubopm420
God
Male
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Schwammel]
    #6605911 - 02/24/07 02:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

every single person on here is a guy

in college, do drugs, gonna be rich (jus like everyone else, apparently)
im new here after the fall of bluelight, long live bluelight. i hope i can be a positive addition to this forum as well.

i am certainly conservative in my political views, to a point. obviously i am no bill o'rielly, but i would be more inclined to vote republican. My dad is in the military so yea.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: About me (and you) [Re: subopm420]
    #6607163 - 02/24/07 10:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

My name is fitzgerald, Im 32, and Im hung like a moose.

I like chinchilla fur on my naked body and making audio recordings of women taking dumps.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #6671123 - 03/14/07 10:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I don't post here often anymore, but I am a 24 year old male. I am a manager of a restaurant that employs about 120 people. I have completed about 3/4 of college with a business degree and about 90 percent of a computer science degree. I am a Christian as well as a libertarian. I live on the south side of Atlanta (about 20 miles south). I do not currently use any illegal drugs, but I think that no drugs should be illegal. I own myself. You own yourself. I want to and am willing to kill those who want to take my life (liberty and property) from me. I view those who want to use the power of government to take from me as enemies in war. I am an extremist and I take no shame in it.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGnosticWarrior
Hermit
 User Gallery

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
    #6677013 - 03/16/07 12:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Redstorm, nice thread!

About me, 30 yr.old male born and raised on the Island of Oahu in Hawaii. It would be nice if we could legally grow some real ass sativas here in the open sunshine. My ancestors immigrated from Japan to work on sugar plantations here. Was a fat kid, lost some weight but still on the chubby side. B.A. in intl. business. A capitalist. Though I find it hard to work for people so I'm trying to make a living through investing. I like to read and am very analytical. I live in my parent's home, still. I'm a loner type. I also patronize prostitutes, lack the confidence and don't want to face rejection by the ladies. I'm liberal, man has freewill to do whatever he is physically and mentally capable of doing. We are truly the only enforcers for ourselves. I do believe there should be basic human rights, and decency though.

Was anti-drugs till the right friends peer pressured me, and got me to smoke weed. I was 21 at the time. I believe its more special if you're older and established more of strong sense of what the truth is and then have your whole world turned upside down. Then I decided to grow shrooms. Was afraid to pick wild one's. It changed my life. Shrooms tore down the wall I created. I learned to really "feel" for the first time. I believe in the soul and reincarnation. No man's mind or text contains the whole truth just bits mixed with some falsehood. The key to the truth lies in your heart, your feelings. In that you should trust. Religion is just labels that man uses to help understand spirituality. The greatest things in this world, love and the spirit are undescribable in words. It's like your first trip, you'll only know what it truly is until you experience it.

I view all of you as my brothers and sisters, we are all God's children. Let us all heal the fears, hurts, and demons that plague us and replace it will love.

One Love, One Heart,
GnosticWarrior

Offlinetrippindad82
Trusted Cultivator of Trich
Male

Loc: down, down the hole
Re: About me (and you) [Re: GnosticWarrior]
    #6822619 - 04/23/07 09:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I am a white male in my middle 20's.

I live in upstate ny. I was born in Oregon and grew up in northern cali.

The first ten years of my life I lived in poverty and then the foster care system.

At the age of ten I was adopted. My father is an Episcopal minister and my mom is a full time bitch.

Being that my adoptive mom couldn't understand nor accept the scars left on me during my rocky journey through the system, I moved out of my parents house at the age of sixteen. I had two more full years left of high school, so I got a job and got my diploma and bounced from couch to couch.

I am against the formal education system in america. IMO, it is designed to allow the bottom (dumbasses) the flourish and hold the brightest back. I was one of the brightest in my class (aced exams, scored a 1450 on the sat's without a calculator) yet almost failed out because I was COMPLETELY bored in school.

I became interested in politics and social nonsense at a young age because I heavily questioned everything I was told. The foster care system left a huge impression on me, especially after I was adopted into a middle class religious family. I strived to just disappear and hated what I was forced to go through. I started to despise the social structuring of school and much of the world outside. I hate material possessions. I hate the consumerism that drives the world around me. I believe in a limited government and the fact that we are all independent persons who have the right to do what we want when we want to ourself. I like the idea behind laissez-faire economics, however, just like communism is an idea that will never work. I want to see govt put back into the hands of the people and taken away from the elite.

This is a little about me. I hope that it helps persons understand from where I come. It was also nice to learn about others on this site.

--------------------
Trying to explain a journey to someone who has never experienced it is like trying to explain what a zebra looks like to  blind person who has never seen a horse.

^^^The above matter may be a complete fantasy that I concocted out of possible boredom.^^^

--------------------------------------

Offlinemultivitamins
James
Male User Gallery

Loc: NW England, UK
Re: About me (and you) [Re: trippindad82]
    #6884641 - 05/07/07 12:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Im 21 and from the UK, I'm just about to sit my final exams in Bsc Psychology. I plan to work for a year or so and save up some money and go travelling (hopefully to South America). I like to trip :smile:.  When I get back I'd like to do postgraduate study or research in the field of consciousness (epecially the 'hard' problem of consciousness- the link between the brain and mind) and how pychadelics fit into this.  Idealy I'd like to pursue this line of research as a career, find a nice wife, have some kids and campaign for drug law reform in my spare time but we all know life is what happens when your busy making other plans....

--------------------
"She was able, prompt, strict and intelligent. She welcomed responsibility and kept her head in every crisis. She was an adult and self-reliant, and there was nothing she needed from anyone. Yossarian took pity and decided to help her"- Catch 22

Invisibleimplicitli
Female User Gallery
    #7018772 - 06/07/07 09:32 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm 23 years old, and I'm almost done my bachelor of arts - but I dropped out a year ago. I majored in political science, and specialized in political theory, and my minor is philosophy. I plan on going back to school in September, but am really procrastinating and might not get all of my documents together in time.

I've read way too many books (especially if you include all of the xanth and baby sitters club while I was growing up), and I think that I talk to much.

I'm very interested in the history of the philosophy of science ( I loved Bacon's New Organon); as well as Aristotle, Plato, Kant, bla bla bla (see, I talk too much).

Right now I'm in love with early american political theory, especially de Tocqueville and Thoreau.

I believe in questions more than answers.

InvisibleLordSenate
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Loc: First Circle of Hell
    #7129035 - 07/04/07 02:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

im also from michigan, and was raised pretty much the same way, you sound like me.. so much so that its scary..

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #7131574 - 07/05/07 07:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm twenty-four years old, and I graduated from NYU with a B.A. in English and American Literature a little over two years ago. Since then I have been living, working, and whittling the time away. But in the past eight-to-nine months I have become increasingly interested in drug policy reform and activism. I am a voracious reader on the topics of drugs and drug policy, and can be found devouring material on the subject on any given day of the week.

I've recently decided to apply to graduate school to get my Masters in Public Policy.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineTaco Chef
I found dead John Cheever
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
    #7512561 - 10/13/07 03:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

35 yrd old, phd in american lit,; M.A. in English Lit, BS in Administration. Published writer (book about Benjamin Franklin), occultist, strong believer in psychedelics, well read in Lit, Philosophy, Theology, Political Theory, Cultural Studies, Art....

A proud man of the left, a leftist american...the preamble to the Constitution ALSO includes "promote the general welfare", have run for political office as a democrat, pro-union, anti-drug policy, anti most governmental intrusion into private life, believe the common good/interest has precedent over commercial interest, government exits as Madison said to protect the rights of the minority from the majority, but also as Franklin said to promote public good over private interest.

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#7567597 - 10/27/07 05:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

My name's Jim.

Offlinekristofer
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indianapolis
    #7647837 - 11/17/07 01:59 PM (13 years, 20 days ago)

nice thread!

I'm Kris. I run a software company with some friends in the Indianapolis area. I'm very liberal in nearly all accounts because [I think] capitalism is fundamentally flawed by encouraging people to consider money as a first priority instead of humanity.

I didn't graduate from college, but only because I was more interested in the business endeavor. It's working out alright.. I get my nomadic lifestyle and a regular paycheck.

My interest in economics and politics is only natural because I live in a world dramatically influenced by economics and politics. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

I tend to play devils advocate - and I think I do alright at it.. I was raised in a God-fearing right-winged family - and I know and understand that role very well. Not to mention reading Smith, Marx, and other idealists - and countless historical examples of all social ideologies and their failures/successes.

During my random travels I've developed a more people oriented philosophy that's not based on financial incentives and a world where the primary objective is to make enough money to "buy your freedom."

--------------------
dewbie dewbie dew

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: About me (and you) [Re: kristofer]
    #7685521 - 11/27/07 10:12 AM (13 years, 11 days ago)

--

Edited by BrAiN (03/13/08 11:17 AM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: BrAiN]
    #7722528 - 12/05/07 10:38 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

I also grew up in the burbs of DC, mostly Northern VA with all the rich kids even though I was a poor kid. I had a very troubling and disturbing childhood and was living on my own at the age of 16. I was diagnosed with an extremely high IQ and then later with various mental illnesses at a young age and was in all the advanced classes and mental institutions :wink: , but highschool was complete joke and I hated it with a passion so I dropped out and got my GED and never went to college, go figure. But I grew up on the streets of hard knock life and if there's one thing I know how to do, that's survive in tough situations.

I have a general dislike and distrust for all authority figures, mostly due to my childhood and being raped by the system and various people in positions of power and influence. I am for justice and free will, the basics.. but very passionate about them. Some would say too passionate.

For a long time I was just staying in the DC area just working and just living, playing music and doing whatever. Then I decided to explore the US after dropping all of my attachments to society.. a process which took place over about 3 years, and I'm still not sure if I'm done. So I travelled all around the US with no car and no money, getting the odd job here and there, and just exploring life. In all it amounted to an experience I wouldn't trade for anything but also one I wouldn't want to repeat under the same circumstances.

Right now I'm living in Upstate NY and seem to have settled down for now. I have no plans to attend college to further my career or anything like that, college is (to me) bullshit and a giant waste of money I don't have. I've made more money working real jobs then most of my college graduate friends anyway. And I can learn just fine on my own things I am interested in and want to expand my knowledge on.

My plan for the future is to hopefully live on a farm someday and grow my own food and live with the woman I love and be a positive and loving influence to my environment and those around me, and help create a harmonious way of life for all and just learn from life. Maybe incite a revolution or two, write a book.. who knows.

--------------------

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Shroomism]
    #7723399 - 12/06/07 06:38 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Your only mental ilness was being forced to grow up in Northern VA. Ugh! I can't stand Northern VA. Too many brats. My condolances for having to live there.

Arlington? Annandale?

If you ever have reason to come back, there's a store in annandale you'd probably like. It's a recordshop called Strangeland Records, got tons of cds, dvd's and vinyl (dnb, metal, industrial, mostly the latter two). That place is like something outta a cartoon.

OfflinePaleocon
Stranger
Re: About me (and you) [Re: BrAiN]
    #7735865 - 12/09/07 08:37 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I consider myself a very old school, conservative in the truist sense of adhering to concepts of duty, family, loyalty to one's country, tradition and religion. I do not think we are all created equal-as their is obviously a hierarchy, however I think the strong have a duty to protect the weak-especially from themselves. I also strongly believe in actively doing the right thing-as all that is necessary for the ascension of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Offlineanarchist1776
Title
Male

Loc: United States
    #8543342 - 06/20/08 02:24 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Either that, or attempt to get an internship to the Ayn Rand Institute.

Rand would hate me.

(A) I have no problem calling myself a libertarian.  To Rand, all libertarians were anarchists (not true), all anarchists were leftists (true only depending upon how you define left/right), and all anarchists were collectivists (very false).

(B) I have no problem calling myself a market anarchist.  (See above.)

(C) I wholly reject Objectivist epistemology, which she considered the foundation for all of her beliefs.  (I agree with her on most things politically, but that wouldn't be good enough for her.)

And so, Rand would hate me.  But, whatever.  She still influenced me to some degree, and I still can't wait for the Atlas Shrugged movie to come out.

But I'd definitely prefer to work with the Mises Institute or the Institute for Humane Studies. :smile:

--------------------
Alex

"The difference between free-market capitalism and state capitalism is precisely the difference between, on the one hand, peaceful, voluntary exchange, and on the other, violent expropriation" (Murray N. Rothbard, 1973).

"The market is not a jumble of distorted and unrelated events.  Instead, it is a highly complex but orderly and efficient mechanism which provides a means for each person to realize the maximum possible value and satisfaction commensurate with his abilities and resources" (Linda & Morris Tannehill, 1970).

OfflinePOLAR0ID
Loitering
Female User Gallery

Loc: Orange County, CA
Re: About me (and you) [Re: anarchist1776]
    #8656106 - 07/19/08 05:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I figure I might as well post here because, even though I don't post replies too often, I have been reading the posts here a lot. Let me tell you, I try not to post ON PURPOSE. Politics is strenuous, and speaking to a firm believer in their personal (and differing) politics is much like speaking to a brick wall. Nothing will move that wall!!

I'm 19, a college student, broad minded, liberal, and outspoken. Into art, graphic design and photography, and there you have a general "me" post.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About me (and you) [Re: POLAR0ID]
    #8656111 - 07/19/08 05:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome and enjoy your stay. :laugh:

OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #8703726 - 07/30/08 05:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I am a 45 year old small business owner.  I own and operate an adult video store.  I enjoy smoking weed 3-5 times a week and ingesting either LSD or mushrooms 4-6 times a year.

Politically I am a 'left-Libertarian' who passionately defends the civil liberties given to us in the Constitution of the United States.  I am a non-practicing Roman Catholic having given up on the 'organized religion' moneymaking scam long ago.  I view discussing politics as a 'full contact sport' for the thick skinned.  I can be snarky, sarcastic and sometimes impolite discussing politics but try never to take any of it personally...as I hope nobody else will.  It is just politics (and the internet) for Christ's sake. :wink:

Nice to meet everyone. :smile:

:rastamon:

--------------------
A mind is a terrible thing to taste...hehehe.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Libertine]
    #8704675 - 07/30/08 09:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think you have to worry much about offending anyone.

We keep it pretty rough and tumble here.

Enjoy yourself.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8704805 - 07/30/08 09:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well I promise to try not to offend but I can't guarantee anything dependent on any given person's political POV. :wink:

Thanks.  It looks like a great place to discuss politics.  I have a liberal blog I frequent but that becomes like an echo chamber after a while...which becomes boring as hell at times.  Sometimes we take to arguing with each other just to keep 'sharp', lol.  But I like jousting with people I don't necessarily agree with...and I think I have found some already. :grin:

:rastamon:

--------------------

OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8704821 - 07/30/08 09:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

BTW...I LOVE the pic in your sig line.  I consider Hunter S. Thompson to have been a positive role model in my life...

Quote:

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

RIP Gonzo...

--------------------

Offlinegradeasmarts
Stranger
Male
    #8898231 - 09/08/08 06:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

White male, 19 years old
I have always knew that something was wrong with this world since I was eight. I spent my childhood reading and thinking while everyone else was busy playing tag and making mud pie. I went to school with a non-caring attitude toward it because I knew that they were just teaching me mostly the same shit that everyone else was taught, throw in some pissed off things about society in there, and you got a high school drop out.
I love knowledge. I read anything philosophy, sociology, and history. I study people (not in the creepy way) but I like to try and profile them, then i use the knowledge from that to understand more what people (friends) could be thinking when they say things or what makes them tick, etc. etc. I'm a hippy at heart and I intend on learning as much as I can out there in the world.
sorry, i sound like a robot..

--------------------
Bring on your tear gas, bring on your grenades, your new supplies of Mace, your state troopers and even your national guards. But let the record show we ain't going to be turned around. -Ralph Abernathy

OfflineJax
Stranger
Male

Loc: New Jersey
    #9204134 - 11/07/08 06:31 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I'm an 18 year in my first year of college. I'm pursuing four year degrees in Psychology and Philosophy and hope to get a doctorate someday. I love knowledge, studying people, the way they think and trying to apply my knowledge in practical situations.

I tend to lean to the left on most political issues but have learned to keep an open mind over the years. I've been apart of one internet based community or another for the the 8 years now and it's pretty funny cause I've learned more online than I did in my first 12 years of school.

I was a complete stoner and rebel in high school until a few of my friends dropped out, and one joined the army. I came to an epiphany at one point and decided to 'get my shit together', and did. I've been getting straight As in school since.

I've had a job since I was 14 and try to be as independent as I can, though I recognize that no man is an island and everyone needs some help.

I hope to learn a lot here, engage in some intelligent debate, and just have fun.

--------------------
You must have a Shroomery Premium account to view this signature.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Jax]
    #9204145 - 11/07/08 06:33 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I am the opiate of the masses.

OfflineJax
Stranger
Male

Loc: New Jersey
Re: About me (and you) [Re: DieCommie]
    #9204284 - 11/07/08 07:06 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

God? :shocked:

--------------------
You must have a Shroomery Premium account to view this signature.

Invisibleslacker008
Resident Psychiatrist
 User Gallery

Loc: A wave of reality.
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Jax]
    #9257372 - 11/16/08 08:55 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

God is not the opiate of the masses. Religion, supposedly, is. Although I can see no correlation between a few pixels on my screen and an intelligent designer responsible for fashioning all that is or every will be, I can see the merit in such a claim. The cult of personality, as it were?

Im from Earth. I go to a University in which I am an undergraduate following in the footsteps of Freud and Jung. I am a Psychology edit:major with minors in behavior analysis and biochemistry. When I finish my residency, my aim is to be a practicing medical practitioner (psychiatrist) so that I will be able to open a low-income psychiatry clinic and publish my experimentations with the human psyche and consciousness. (no shit.)

Currently, semester is murder and I am struggling with a number of aspects of my life, including what feels to be a recent passing of my father and subsequent degeneration of my mother.

I enjoy skateboarding, writing, people watching and spending time with my dog, The Great Pharaoh Ramsey, the VIII. My favorite thing, right now, is seeing an A on an important exam.

Most of my close friends call me a space cadet, among other things. Most respect my opinions and thoughts because they know my analytic approach to life is callous and, in so being, is able to utter things most people couldnt, or wouldnt. I am a fan of anticulture, and strive to be as mentally anticulture as I can be. By culture, I mean the in-cohesive waves of ideals, morals, values and paradigms offered by incredible masses of people. I like a good paradigm shift, every now and then.

Right now I am writing an essay of the psychology of a psychadelic guru in something I call "A Gift of the Shaman".

I smoke cigarettes and I drink rarely.

Well, thats me in a nutshell. Be gentle with your assumptions of me, please?

--------------------
..beneath the chaos of the world, all is secretly well..

Rebuilding my DNA.

Edited by slacker008 (11/16/08 08:56 PM)

Offlineatalkingdog
Stranger
Re: About me (and you) [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #9382602 - 12/06/08 10:50 PM (12 years, 14 hours ago)

I'm a 30 year old white male.  Grew up between Cleveland and Lorain Ohio.  would have been better off rowing a boat around.  would have built up my arms.  I was a nearly complete straight arrow who didn't even drink until I was 21.  I still rarely drink.  I've been working on a 12 pack of pabst blue ribbon since october 23rd.

Family background is mostly guys spend a few years in the military then get skilled labor and/or union jobs.

I was very conservative in the political candidates I supported or identified with from the time I started paying attention until my early twenties.  Like many people I read "Atlas Shrugged" and was quite impressed with it.  Eventually I realized it was as real as Professional Wrestling or Mike Hammer.  fun fantasy.

In retrospect I would have done well to major in history or economics.  but I was fixated on trying to major in real science. I had probably cracked up well before then anyhow.

I have an above average knowledge of classic rock and 1960s television westerns.  Friends agree I may have lost my mind, but so far I've never done psychedelic drugs.

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: FL
    #9648213 - 01/20/09 06:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

21 Year old white male. Born and raised in Florida, then moved to Blairsville, Georgia when i was 14. I grew up somewhat isolated from my family; most of them live across the country and my younger sister was always mommy and daddy's little angel. I spent most of my life in the presence of my friends, often forsaking school work and household chores.

When I moved here, I had a hard time making new friends, found myself in more fights than I can begin to count, and my grades went through the floor. I was nearly through high school before I loosened up and gained respect, but the grades were too far gone; I dropped out. I attended a night school where you come and go as you please, received dual enrollment for North GA Tech and studied UNIX/Server Administraion.

During this time is when my life, at once, started down paths that would lead to the best and worst decisions of my life. I started to do nothing but chase the girls and party, decided that I loved my drugs, and started selling mj by the many pounds. I finished high school, but dropped the college. I continued being irresponsible and making some friends I shouldn't have made, which I realized after my first friend I made here was shot and killed for pissing off similar people. I backed away from those crowds and brought new joys of responsible drug use to my good, real friends.

I worked contract construction, as well as in a plant, stopped dealing, and tried living as straight edged as possible. Nevertheless, I got arrested for having a stemless bong in my car a couple years ago. During my LONG probation under GA laws, I failed a piss test on my final day last august and spent all september in jail. I decided to join the army afterwards so I could have means to pay for college (I decided to get into neuropharmacology) and help clear my record. All my best friends have gone off to college, I'm stuck living with my mother with no job, and I have to wait 3 more months before the army will accept my enlistment (30+ days in jail = 6 month military hold). I shall spend these boring months here :tongue:. I've spent the last few months reflecting on the good times I have had, my good and bad decisions, the good people I have met, and how I'm still young albeit feeling older than I should; I have alot ahead of me. The only things I have left here in this town are the remaining friends ruining their lives, one of my friends just died of an oxy OD on christmas eve, several have become major alcoholics, and another now had a kid a few days ago.

I am ready to move on, but first I need to be patient and wait until april rolls around. I will gladly follow a military life for a few years because I believe it will help me find where I want to be in life and help me achieve happiness. My girlfriend of three years has had no luck finding a job either, and decided on the navy recently. I'm pleased with her. We may never see each other again, but I guess you just have to keep moving on. My life is finally going to go right soon... My apologies if this is depressing, I'm actually a pretty cheery person; I just have a sad story.

--------------------
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong”  -Voltaire

OfflineTGRR
Horrible Bastard

#9648256 - 01/20/09 07:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Permanently angry 40 year old, petrochemical industry (minor) exec, complete misanthrope, American by birth and Discordian by "Bob".

--------------------
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Official Mr Shoebat lackey.

InvisibleJohannTheShaman
wacky street freek
Male

#9664225 - 01/23/09 08:44 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

my human life began in the late 80s, my skin pigment is very light (for what its worth), and i am currently residing in a chicago suburb on the northwest side. my fiance and i will be joined in holy matrimony in a couple of months and then we plan to move THE HELL AWAY FROM CHICAGO!!! probably to colorado. i can't wait to be able to have an ounce of pot on me and not have to worry about serious jail time (i already have 2 charges out here:( jail fucking SUCKS!!!). i should probably add here that i have "awoken" from my human state/condition of confusion and view everything differently than most people. basically, i realized that my physical body is just a robot that i use to move around the third density, and who i really am is what humans normally call a "soul". the really strange thing about it though, is that my brain and the entire thinking process that goes along with it are merely human characteristics that will only be used for a number of years while in this density, and in reality (which the third density is only a VERY small fraction of) we all communicate telepathically and there is no need for human, cognitive thinking processes. when i say i "awoke" what i mean is that i became aware of who i really am, and now i don't feel like i am inside my body anymore. i'm actually a spiritual presence (an aura if you will) hovering around my "body" telling it what to do and using it like a vehicle, communication device, and a thinking and creating tool. the problem is that i see the world for what it really is, and to be honest, ignorance is bliss. this planet and every entity upon it seems to be suffering in some way, and i want so desperately to help others and be completely selfless, but i have a hard time finding a method that is affective. i grow more and more impatient with others' humanistic ways of thinking, and i wish i could just snap my fingers and have everyone wake up and stop being so consumed with things of this world. i'm in the process of learning to love people, all people, including my enemies, and i'm working on giving selflessly to others all that i can, physically and mentally, so i can be at peace with myself and God. with all that said, i chime in on a lot of political discussion on the internet to try and steer people in the "right" direction. i try to help people understand that the "government" as it were, is a selfish mob (republican and democrat) of people who consider themselves to be "elites" and have some serious control issues. when you vote, it means nothing. laws mean nothing, money means nothing, and positions of power mean nothing. all of this is merely temporary and will all disappear before you know it as every human body inevitably dies. so when i see people getting overly emotionally involved with politics, i try to open their eyes to the fact that they are wasting time. don't let physical things allow you to hate one another! don't let things like "politics" distract you from what is really important: the condition of your soul. and if anyone here thinks i'm "crazy", well that too will only last for a short number of third density years and in the "end" i hope it will be something we can have a good laugh about. you are all wonderful people, by the way, and your entrepreneurship in the field of mycology is astonishing to say the least. :heart: i love each and every one of you, because you are all beautiful, amazing creatures. so if i say something in the political discussion forums on the shroomery that offends anyone, please don't be shy! i am open to any/all criticism and feedback that any of you would like to offer.:D

--------------------

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."
-Henry Ford

:epileptic::prance::tardhi:
:deemsters::bouncey::ganja:

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Loc: The West is the Best
Re: About me (and you) [Re: JohannTheShaman]
    #9696733 - 01/28/09 07:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Military, a bright future.  Welcome to the United States.

OfflineTrepiodos
Disgustipated
 User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles County Jail
    #9716741 - 02/01/09 09:59 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I am a 47 year old IT professional (analyst/developer/programmer/code monkey).  I had been a self employed consultant for about a decade, but decided a couple of years ago to seek employment, as I knew a severe economic downturn was inevitable and I thought the least I could do would be to qualify for unemployment and recoup some of my hard-earned tax dollars if the need should arise. 

I have engaged my mind with writings of the founders of the United States, along with such other luminaries as Lao Tse, Sun Tzu, Niccolò Machiavelli, John Stuart Mill, Thomas Paine and Henry David Thoreau.  I am a political agnostic.  Meaning, I am suspicious of anyone or group which seeks power over others, regardless of their rhetoric, stated intentions or avenue(s) by which power is to be exercised.  Business, health, communitarian, military, religious, ethnic, racial and environmental interests in the political realm are all equally suspect and should be presumed guilty until proven innocent.  Conversely, I do not trust anarchy as politically practical, as observation, experience and critical thought has taught me that that human nature appears to see opportunity in a power vacuum.  Anarchy seems to inevitably give way to some form of government either from external conquest or internal (to the society) power lust.

My opinions are subject to change given a well supported argument based on verifiable facts, logic and an appeal to my innate moral sense.

--------------------

And as things fell apart,
Nobody paid much attention...

- David Byrne, '(Nothing But) Flowers' from the Talking Heads' album, 'Naked'

OfflineFjorgynn
Hambeast Wrangler
Male

#9893617 - 03/01/09 09:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

18 year old white Canadian studying philosophy at university. I was a card carrying Chomskyite libertarian socialist during highschool but grew dissatisfied with the lack of imagination of the left.

I think the obscene decadence and empty materialism of our civilization merits its destruction, which will presumably come about due to the perfect storm of factors occuring presently or are on the horizon (economic crisis, peak oil, topsoil erosion, strained water and food supplies, climate change, etc). I believe that capitalism is the triumph of the greedy, base bourgeousie, creating a degenerate culture of neurotic worker drones which is raping and polluting our planet, poisoning our children and destroying old cultures and knowledge in the pursuit of the myth of 'progress' and the fulfillment of our boundless avarice.

My utopia used to be some kind of anarchist commune network but I no longer trust 'the masses' to adhere to moral principles I hold to be important. I am something of a 'triumphalist' in that I believe my basic principles to be better than those of people afflicted by spiritual or intellectual plagues (such as nihilistic monotheism), but my ideology does not consist of dogma; it is fairly fluid. Really to boil it down I am just a radical if slightly misanthropic environmentalist who hates a society that is enslaved by money. Oh, and I think etheogens should be widely available and an integral part of our culture (or whatever new culture will arise...)

I enjoy bits and pieces of the writings of Troy Southgate, Derrick Jensen, Julius Evola, Oswald Spengler, Terrence McKenna, and some others.

--------------------
With a host of furious fancies
Whereof I am commander,
With a burning spear and a horse of air,
To the wilderness I wander.
By a knight of ghostes and shadowes
I summon'd am to tourney
Ten leagues beyond the wild world's end.
Methinks it is no journey

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Fjorgynn]
    #9893633 - 03/01/09 09:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Nice to meetcha.

Stick around, we have lots of good conversations here.

--------------------

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
    #9967872 - 03/13/09 10:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i am a white male, 23, drug felon, i work in a factory and make decent money for the temultuous times, I have two children, and am happily engaged, unhappily employed, a proud parent, and governmentaly enraged, ive no political affiliation, i see each issue as i choose fit, i dont vote, becuase its bullshit, i dont pay taxes, becuase im intelligent enough to work the laws that were wrote to fuck me, i am a firm believer in expasion and progression of mind and self, free thought, and optimism, karma is a mother fucking bitch, but i wont stress, and i wont switch, in order, i love life, my family and freinds, and chemicals that allow me to either expand my mind or shut it off, depending on my mood...

enough about me...

youll never make it as a politician, your not sick enough, no offense... and dont feel bad about not voting... as an educated man you should know how little an individual vote exists...

ok more about me...

i dropped out of high school as a senoir with a 3.8... couldnt handle the bullshit anymore, i do regret it now, but theres no changing the past, im extremely religious in my own way, i think that the church is the only entity of our miserable existance that is worse than the U.S. government, however i have forged my own beliefs, thaey do not involve a biblical form of "god", i cguess you could say im wiccan/buhddist... but ive yet to find a mix that accurately describes...

ok enough about me again...

always keep in mind that debating politics and political issues will always be a very heated debate becuase people have the tendency to take things very personally when perhaps they shouldnt...

i will always consider an member of the shroomery a freind, and i hope you feel the same, and i want you to know that i also think it is cool as fuck that you posted this, its the first post of its kind that i have ever seen in any forum and for that my freind, i give you kudos, you are correct that we get way to mean with one another simply becuase we dont revere one another as other humans on the oher end of this worldly connection, just text and angst...

you shouldve titled your post "fear and loathing on the shroomery"

love and light

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: About me (and you) [Re: incubaby_421]
    #10127635 - 04/07/09 11:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm 28 (at the time of this writing), and I've been a fairly regular memeber back in the day, but then almost stopped posting entirely. I think I had grown tired childish aspect that all webboards seem to attract. Past couple of months, I've been rediscovering my drug use and what it means to me. Seeing as there is almost no "real life" community for a serious discussion on DMT, what it means about the nature of our universe, or how much of society drives people's motivation to do things they really would not want to do otherwise.

Politics ties directly into those kinds of entheogenic experiences because it gives you a perspective that's removed how the media frames current events. There's a certain limit to discussing drug experiences and politics, though, because you have to converse with other people on a level they can relate to, while sticking to facts & logic.

It's hard to say what it is I do right now. I have Lyme Disease, so I'm not doing anything at the moment. But before that, I worked in psychology and also recorded music on the side.

I talk to people from all over the political spectrum, and I find it's very rewarding to talk to someone who disagrees with you. It's almost always civil, at least with the people I know in real life. I tend to look at the goal of conversations is not to prove that you're right, but to try to prove yourself to be wrong. You end up learning more about the topic, and therefore, you are better able to debate it in a more serious format. Obviously, this goes out the window when things get petty, which is unfortunate.

I think it's a bit of a cop-out to say, "I don't belong to any political affiliation, so I don't label myself". I completely agree with it, mind you, but when Hilary Clinton described herself as a "Progressive" instead of a Liberal, I knew that angle was dead & gone.

On the social issues, I tend to fall under the Libertarian/Progressive platform. They're generally the same unless money is involved. But in terms of individual rights, torture, and such, they're spot on :yes:.

Economically, I've gone back and forth. I find that both the right & left standard positions essentially simplify things so that it makes people who believe in them think the answers to our political problems can be found by switching to either a Laissez Faire model, or a Communist model. It's obvious to me that modern economics is far too complicated a thing to create absolutes which will make the entire thing work. With that being said, I tend to favor the Left philosophy of providing social programs which not only help people, but can even help the economy function more smoothly. I'm someone who thinks we can do all those things while also keeping taxes low. I'm crazy, I know.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Invisiblebiggyfred
Stranger
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Twirling]
    #10169966 - 04/15/09 07:50 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hello everyone,

Long time reader, long time grower, first time poster. 31 year old male, currently living in Houston, TX. Have lived in 8 states on both coasts as well as overseas. Army veteran (pre-war), currently a college student in Houston graduating this semester from the business school.

Socially as liberal as they come.

I'm a soft socialist that believes that the market can do much, but not everything. I believe in strong regulation, strong enforcement, and strong government, both state and federal.

Look forward to running into everyone in the threads. Until then, have a great day.

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
    #10328248 - 05/12/09 03:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

In terms of political ideology I would ascribe to an anarcho-capitalist economic model and a traditional libertarian that despises any meddling in the marketplace by regulatory authoritarian thieving bureaucrats.

I favor sound money straight out of the Constitution, yet I would welcome a free market of monetary competition.  We all know monopolies are bad in an economy, how is the monopoly money situation any good?

Edited by Mr.Al (05/17/09 04:12 PM)

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Mr.Al]
    #10412318 - 05/28/09 06:36 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hi everyone.

My name is Shane in the real world, Im 21 and I am currently waiting on loans to enroll into Oaksterdam university.
Before that I was planning on going to school for photography. Thankfully Shimush introduced me to Oaksterdam and I can fulfill my dream in life.

I was born in Detroit and lived there till I was 11.
At that time my parents divorced and my mother moved herself and me to Tennessee.
I fucked high school up bad... I concentrated on partying and being a stoner instead of my education. Im not stupid, I REALLY love to learn but for some reason I enjoyed doing it on my own with my own research of things that interested me.
Its just to bad that dont mean shit to the rest of the world.

I was determined to not be a fuck up though so i did not drop out. I graduated with great test scores but low grades... NEVER did homework once since 6th grade.
I moved back here to Michigan a few months ago, leaving all my friends and pretty much my whole life in TN.Thats why I post so much ATM, I have no friends (other then muh g/f) ...

Me, my girlfriend and my mother manage 4 apartment buildings and its a good job.
I know the neighbors and they are OK. I go over there and play halo or poker, drink and whine about not being able to find any weed round abouts here.

I could always go to a club or a bar and try to make friends.. but who goes to those places alone? not I.
I know of a few michigan shroomerites and i hope eventually i get to meet some... thats my only hope for ever meeting people around here that are in any way like me.

a year ago this is how i would have described myself:
I LOVE WEED ACID AND TOOL!
It feels like every year that passes I grow up so much that i dont recognize the person from the previous year.
I love being creative and i love learning, I hate that i dont capitalize my i's but I haven't got that down yet in my typing habits.

I love taking beautiful pictures of nature... mainly mush :tongue2:
I love to draw and water paint. I play guitar and write songs. I love politics but cannot debate like most of you can. I have so much hope for the human race but i can see gloomy outcomes as well.

Sometimes i think i may be crazy... I believe in aliens, I believe in spiritual evolution, I believe the government is lying to us. My brain has absolutely no problem accepting crazy things in till someone completely proves it wrong...

I really love acid, since my first trip Its been pure love. I cant explain it and i doubt that anyone loves tripping as much as I do. People tell me that i have low self esteem.. but I think that im just being realistic.

Ive been with my g/f for so long... I think nothing is left there but we live together and this is a problem. I need to get out and get a life I just dont know where to start.

I cant wait to start college, I feel like that will fix a lot... but its still far off, I cant sit here for a year waiting for people to come knock on my door and be like hey, wanna be my friend... LOL
If you read this, Thanks.
Ive wrote a lot and I still feel like it does not tell you who I am.

Invisiblejackgriffin
Fringe Dweller
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: daimyo]
    #10538737 - 06/19/09 05:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
White male, early 20s.  Grew up in various neighborhoods all around the same general area.  Lived in an all Italian neighborhood, normal middle class area, and the hood. 

Never was one to hold a "normal" job, so I gravitated towards alternative employment.  By the time I was 20 I was well to do, but living in a shitty neighborhood for various reasons.  A few months ago I called it quits on what I was doing and have been "retired" since. 

Within the next 2-3 months I will join the Army and go one of three paths.  Either stay for life and rise through the ranks until I am a General, do ~6 years, then apply to the CIA, FBI, a couple other alphabet groups, or do ~4 years and join a company such as Blackwater.

Growing up I never talked much about politics.  Most of the people I know didn't care at all, so I kept it to myself.  I've always loved shows like Meet the Press, and I watch an unhealthy amount of C-SPAN.  Aside from that I try to read as much as possible. 

I always did very well in school(straight As), but never wanted to attend college for a degree.  I teach myself what I feel I need to know, and that is good enough for me.  I love reading biographies, and the works of, people like Washington, Caesar, Thomas Paine, Patrick Henry, Livy, Plutarch, Machiavelli, Alexander, etc.
I also enjoy studying the work of people such as Michio Kaku, Edward Witten, and other theoretical physicists.

I suppose I can be described as imperialist with a touch of  anti-federalist.  In an ideal world I would be an isolationist, but this is no longer feasible.  I came from nothing and by taking control of situations I made my own, comfortable, path.  I would like this to be reflected in my country's approach to the world.  If it's out there, we should have it.

On a local level I am a firm believer in greasing the political wheels to get things done.  It shouldn't be this way, but until it changes, gotta play the game.  So I don't care who wins as long as they do what they're told.

State level is a joke to me.  Most states have lost the balls to stand up to the federal government, and until that change I have no respect.

Federal government I truly despise.  It should be way smaller and less complicated than it is.  The congress is corrupt and I yearn for the day we can start fresh there.

Well, this is interesting.
Before you vent AT me, know me.
Above all, know yourself.
Old advice.

Me?
Republic of South Vietnam visit in 1968 where i finally got to smoke weed.
Went through my hippy phase.
University of Cincinnati, class of '77.
Retail sales for the most part.
Tried teaching.
Became more conservative as i grew older and learned more.
Lost my favorite relative to a heroin overdose.
here i am... listening to Dr. Savage as i type.
I advise everydody to listen to Dr. Savage.

--------------------
Know your rights; work for change; help each other.

OfflineLaughing_Gnome
Shroom Head
Male

Loc: Australia
Re: About me (and you) [Re: jackgriffin]
    #10680490 - 07/15/09 08:06 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

18/male

I live with my mum, I live in a small army town, i wash dishes at the local hotel. i live about 4 km from town so i hitchhike in to work, and into the city which is about half an hour away. I dropped out of school when i was 16. im very idealistic. im a harmless hippie, im buddhist, im somewhat of a marxist, it's hard to get weed around here so getting stoned always feels like a speacial occasion. my mums a vet so ive grow up with animals my whole life, im vegetarian and somewhat of a vegan as i dont like wearing leather(only leather i own is my work boots... by the way i hate wearing shoes, thongs all the ways(flip flops to americans)) but i do like eating dairy products. im bisexual, and that about sums me up

--------------------
Nothing is real, everything is good.

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Laughing_Gnome]
    #10692667 - 07/17/09 06:06 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Its nuts how fast things change.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Cubie]
    #10697023 - 07/17/09 09:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cubie said:
Its nuts how fast things change.

care to elaborate?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About me (and you) [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10703562 - 07/19/09 10:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Just in my post, My life has changed a lot since then.

OfflineDeltron3030
Stranger
Male

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Cubie]
    #10703611 - 07/19/09 10:45 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

HI. I'm working on a Political Science degree right now...hope to one day attend law school and get into either International or Environmental Law.

I love music, and I love to play the guitar. Jazz and jazz fusion are my favorite styles to play. I also love to listen to funk and hip hop, some rock as well.

I love pot, hate alcohol. And I also have an ever growing passion for LSD, shrooms, and Ex.

Was born in Cali, but live in Florida now. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineKrazzyJoe
Male
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Deltron3030]
    #10824507 - 08/08/09 06:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a newish register here, lurker for a while.

I'm 22 years old in a few days.  I'm a philosopher and musician, I like to write and love all art and experience. I live in Oregon and for most of my life have lived on the Oregon Coast with some minor variation. I've had some fun crazy adventures in my life so far and look forward to a life full of more.

I am obsessed with music.  I spend most of my waking day listening, writing, and playing music. I am a bassist first, it is the instrument I was first really comfortable with. I also play guitar but I'm not nearly as comfortable with it.  I've always had trouble with music theory.  I've had the basics and a little more down a few times in my life, but it always slipped away. I've sometimes even disliked the idea of theory.  But really I only dislike the way most theory-heads mechanically apply rules to an art. I'm hoping to finally make theory stick in a solid way when I study it in school, which I'll hopefully finally get back to next month.

I love cooking, reading, writing, gaming, film, hiking, gardening, nature...I am really honestly open person and I find enjoyment in all things or have at some point in my life.

I have a firm grasp on my own mortality, which is a very positive and often overlooked thing. I know hardly anyone in real life who really understands this.  I'm pretty young, so are my peers, but the further you go working towards a mediocre future which pays no attention to inevitable death the harder it is to break through that inability to
understand death.

I'm an anarchist. I believe that government is etymologically and historically defined in the use (and inherently, the abuse) of power. I believe that the state and the insanity of the world around us is born and perpetuated in the widespread abuse of children.

I think the best way to support change is to live positively and happily as an example.  So often you hear from the miserable anarchist.  That individual is not a very enticing example. I like to show people that philosophy and freedom and truth are as exciting and enjoyable as I feel they are. Many anarchists you see are sulking, yelling, fighting everyone.  Fighting their fellow abused, some of which have never been exposed to anarchist ideas, exposed to the possibility of something better.  Imagine that being your introduction to anarchy.  You seem someone miserable and think "is that the outcome?" Which will almost certainly be followed by a definite "No thanks."

Anyway, I hope to get to know all of you better soon. :smile:

Offlinerobcypher
I suck cocks for socks
Male

Loc: pittsburgh, pa
    #10826966 - 08/09/09 09:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I was on intervention.

OfflineCowFarmer
Moo
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: About me (and you) [Re: robcypher]
    #10907275 - 08/21/09 06:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

About me,

I am a male under 30. I immersed my self in debate throughout high school, living and breathing it. Through that I became aware of politics and philosophy (insofar related to politics).

I became highly disgusted of politics and politicians. From the thousands of hours I spent debating and reading news the only thing I learned was that Shakespear was completely wrong: the first thing we should do is not kill the lawyers but rather the politicians.

After I learned to despise politics my first love become drugs and medicine. In drugs I found a new world of sorts to explore. Later I tired of using drugs because of the social influence and it's effect on my expirements, this lead me to become enamored in the study of chemical processes of the human body.

I think that there is a solution to everything and that it is only waiting to be discovered or created. Thus I have dedicated my life to medicine to discover some solutions and to be closer, in a sense, to the wrench and hammer of the human body.

Politically and ideolofically:
I am a firm believer in logic. I believe that logic is truth but if truth is not logical then it is false. I believe that the world is ruled by logic and that logic must be the first pursuit of society.

I believe in the betterment of man. I think that we should do as much as possible to advance ourselves. But in NO WAY am I utilitarian ( i.e. sacrifice one for the many). On the sole basis of what if you were the one and not the many.

I loved Ayn Rand. Then, after pondering her and reading all her books I just like her.

I believe in God even though I really [really] don't want to. I would much prefer believing that after life there is nothing. I consider myself a Catholic but am a horrible one at that, I don't go to Church nor practice the rules. I found myself an unwilling Catholic through logic and if one day that logic shifts so will I but so far everyday I only find more reason to fall into it.

Politically, I was first a true-bred anarchist. I read it, believed it and preached it. One day, after losing a debate I recognized that anarchism was not a viable option. Then I became a libertarian in it's (what I believe to be) it's firmest sense. Small government. Small government. Small government.

The reason I became a traitor to anarchism was because I recognized that there must be some kind of body to protect it's people. I believe though that protection is an often a misrepresented word (for political gains).

So that's what I am, a student of medicine, Catholic, logic seeking libertarian...

Oh and I also believe that global warming is totally economically driven and bullshit.
Also I think that there is NO SUCH THING as nuclear winter and that it is also total bullshit.
And I think that all the new 'green' products out there are like wolfs in a sheep pen.

One last thing, I don't think our world is doomed to global warming, overpopulation or because polar bears are extremly cute but I firmly believe that the world is doomed only because of our firm stupidity.

I also am think about launching a new political ideal where all politicians of each party are exterminated/sent to the ranch after 10 years of service.

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
Re: About me (and you) [Re: CowFarmer]
    #11001552 - 09/04/09 08:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've been around the Shroomery on and off for about 8 years - registered ~6 years ago -- doesn't time fly?

What am I? I'm a 40 y.o. White Anglo Saxon classical liberal born in Washington, D.C. (why didn't I write WASP?) Because I'm Orthodox and that's primarily a cultural thing...

Where am I? Currently, in the United States. I've lived in Canada, Mexico & France.

Military service? Though I've never served in a military I have been in war zones such as Yugoslavia circ. 1999. (a nasty business that was...) Kosovo je Srbija!

My past and present (politically): At my university I was a fairly hard core conservative. Then I matured a bit and my realization was that the two major political parties in the US were totally against my core beliefs. Democraps and Republicons seemed to me about repressing 'someone'.  I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. To me that means in the most basic sense: don't take my hard earned money by force and allow me to do what I like if I am harming no one.

What I prize most in life: My incredible 7 y.o. son, my wife and freedom to do whatever the fuck I want as long as I'm not harming anyone.  :ganja:

Edited by grib (09/04/09 08:56 PM)

Offlineorganicchemist25
Oganic Chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast Flag
    #12364450 - 04/09/10 08:11 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Im a 31 year old white male living in va beach, va. i have just recently been getting into politics. im not with any party or anything. i really dont know what i am, but i have major, major concerns for this country.

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: About me (and you) [Re: organicchemist25]
    #12524944 - 05/07/10 10:06 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I am a white 22 year old male. Politics: Fuck it.

Edited by dshow (06/10/10 04:28 PM)

OfflineAlexD
Stranger

Re: About me (and you) *DELETED* [Re: dshow]
    #12654042 - 05/30/10 02:46 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by AlexD

Reason for deletion: don't want it there

Edited by AlexD (05/30/10 03:04 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: About me (and you) [Re: AlexD]
    #12763300 - 06/18/10 11:25 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet, I hope you make it over here.:thumbup:

Especially like your stance on the treatment of animals. I've been involved with training dogs for many years and trying to educate those hated primate humans on how to treat and train their dogs. They mostly just don't get it though.:mad2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRationalEgo
Principium Individuationis

Loc: Boston
Re: About me (and you) [Re: AlexD]
    #12763866 - 06/18/10 01:00 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Have you read any Rand? Seems like you might enjoy the book 'We The Living'. She escaped from Russia to the US and that is what this book is all about. I'm sure you will find some solidarity with her life, literature and philosophy since you are a libertarian.

Good luck with your escape to the US!

Edited by RationalEgo (03/29/12 07:11 AM)

OfflineAlexD
Stranger

Re: About me (and you) [Re: RationalEgo]
    #12768256 - 06/19/10 08:22 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it  :cheers:

Quote:

Have you read any Rand? Seems like you might enjoy the book 'We The Living'. She escaped from Russia to the US and that is what this book is all about. I'm sure you will find some solidarity with her life, literature and philosophy since you are a libertarian.

No haven't read her yet :blush: Definitely gonna

InvisibleJewelessCaesar
Shroomery's Legal Department
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Petros-Joyner, TN, USA Flag
    #13049135 - 08/13/10 11:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Twenty-six year old white male from a small town in Tennessee..

I wasn't really into politics until recent years, now I lean towards being a Libertarian.

I am an American through and through.. I believe in our constitution and our bill of rights and that we should be taking the steps NOW to preserve them.

People like the Bush family, Obama and the other acting cronies should be put in their place..

I am a follower of Alex Jones, he represents the truth.. He has something like 27 movies.. I suggest anyone who wants to look through the eyes of a true libertarian and see what is going on in the world around them, should view these.

I have two political candidates I would actually trust with my life, Ron and Rand Paul.

Other than that, I am just me.. the Jeweless Caesar...

:peace:

--------------------
Failure is not an option, it's an adventure! - JewelessCaesar

Offlinesixxy
infidel delux
Female User Gallery

Loc: behind the irony curtain
Re: About me (and you) [Re: JewelessCaesar]
    #14012980 - 02/23/11 10:17 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

From psp

Quote:

sixxy said:
I was born to a midget Mexican hooker named Yolanda and sold for a pound of cheese and some toilet paper to some bean farmers when I was two. The bean farmers were kind and I spent my days picking beans and washing mules until I was 12. At 12 I joined the circus, where I was known as the amazing flatulent girl. I got my own trailer and everything, not that anyone wanted to share a trailer with me for obvious reasons.

It was a pretty lonesome existence until I met a noseless man named Bob. His stage name was "stump" due to the fact that he lost his limbs (and nose) in a freak jellybean explosion. He was just a torso and head...with the most beautiful blue eyes you've ever seen.

Bob and I fell in love and moved in together. We sold our homemade crafts on the Internet. We made fantastic star trek caricature figurines out of our own earwax and toenail clippings. You can find them at Bodyoozecreations.com

Sadly I lost my bob to a rabid ostrich who pummeled and stomped him to death as he lay in a hammock. I hope to find true love again as I wage my campaign against the ostrich menace. 

that is the bio from my profile.

if you find it hard to believe I can tell you that my family were cajun drug smugglers, after a few murders and a trip to Guatemala I wound up in an orphanage then a series of foster families then a girls home, Im mostly self educated and after many different types of experiences, some painful, some liberating, all enlightening I take a shamanistic approach to my own life, an agnostic approach to religion, and a libertarian/constitutionalist approach to politics. I do a lot of conservation work, am a survivalist of sorts and a publish author and film producer, though I have done many things and havent quite found my "home".

one of those stories is absolutely true.

--------------------
taste the effing rainbow

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: About me (and you) [Re: sixxy]
    #14013202 - 02/23/11 11:13 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hi cubie  :badslave::bondage::showerlove:

You catch my drift you sick freak?

OfflineSpiritDreamer
TreeHugger
 User Gallery

Loc: turn left after mars.
Re: About me (and you) [Re: dshow] * 1
    #14135282 - 03/17/11 04:10 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm 29yr old White ENGLISH (I hate being called british) Male.

Started getting into politics about 5 years ago. Now beginning to understand the meaning of the word 'corruption'.

Started using drugs as a child, seriously got involved in the criminal world. Lost friends through my abuse, lost friends through their abuse. Got myself criminal convictions.

At 16 I was at rock bottom, speed addict with thousands of pounds of debt. Knew I had to turn my life around.

Got an amazing job at an adventure centre working with kids. Abseiling, climbing, mountain climbing. Met 'normal' people who used drugs responsibly. Realised I didn't have to fit into the stereotype 'people who take drugs are bad people'.

Now have a beautiful wife, beautiful child, lovely house, lots of qualifications (including first aid), I am a supervisor and transport manager.

The more I have learned about drugs/drug use/drug law, the more shocked I become. I am now campaigning for the legislation of all drugs.

If anyone wishes to hear my story check my thread 'drugs will never be legislated, drug users have no rights'. It is very long. If you can spare half an hour check out my videos on youtube (Part 2. the drug law is the best 10mins long)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTheOutspoken?feature=mhum

--------------------
:mushroom2: If you don't respect and understand the drug you are about to take,
you shouldn't be doing it. :mushroom2:

youtube vid - 'the truth about drugs' - (part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTheOutspoken

OfflineCanadianCronic
Stranger

Re: About me (and you) [Re: SpiritDreamer]
    #15527781 - 12/16/11 06:31 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

It is hard to imagine a more politically active Conservative family than the one I was raised in. My father was an IBM executive for 28 years, and in his "spare time" he maintained an antique wooden sailboat and (with my mothers help) managed a private ski area. I left that world behind almost 25 years back, as I never got past the whole teenage rebellion phase. Why should I "get past it", when I am right, damn it!?! I become the pothead glassblower (My avatar is a close-up of one of my marbles), and my parents continued on their paths. My mother now works for Elections Canada, training and supervising the returnings officers amongst other things. My father is now in charge of the computer systems for Top Aces, a private consortium with their own fleet of fighter aircraft. Best I can describe things is to say my mother believes in the system and my father is just fully invested in it as the only game in town. Needless to say, we don't really see eye to eye on much at all, and simply have nothing to do with each other. I am a firm believer that politicians are crooks and/or chumps.

--------------------

OfflineSoldier of Fortune
The Walkin' Dude

Loc: UK Council Estate
    #15538740 - 12/19/11 07:21 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I am a sarcastic arsehole that you are all going to despise, with a brilliant sense of humour that will be completely lost due to it being in text form.

--------------------
Congratulations, you are one step closer to hitting bottom.

Offlineredpoppy
Stranger

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Soldier of Fortune]
    #15666017 - 01/14/12 03:02 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

35 years old female, Pakistani/Indian origin. British. Live in London with my soulmate and our two year old daughter. Come from a liberal Muslim family. Dropped acid twenty years ago. Grew up on a council estate. Recently moved from a dodgy east end area into a mainly white middle class suburbia. I studied art at uni and went into radio then TV working on mainly documentaries. Now I'm a stay at home mum.

My religious beliefs are probably best described as heretical Muslim sufi type Acid inspired stuff. My political beliefs are liberal I suppose. I believe a government should provide safety nets for the people but I also think people should be allowed to do pretty much whatever so long as they are not harming anyone else.

I love most things psychedelic. Love music, art, film, reading, video games, politics, psychology, zombies (not real ones) and most things. But since having had a baby, my free time and brain are both in comatose states and I am hoping to revive them one day when school will take my little love away for large portions of the day. I like a lot of stuff. A lot. I want to eat your brain. But I'm not a zombie. Honest.

OfflineDurbs
In front of the tree
Male

Re: About me (and you) [Re: redpoppy]
    #15721129 - 01/26/12 02:05 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a 21 year old male, born in Johannesburg, South Africa, but I moved to Toronto, Canada with my family when I was 16.

I enjoy philosophy, especially Nietzsche and Heidegger, I like to read, I am interested in European and Oriental history, I am interested in chemistry, biology, nature, politics and music, besides drugs.

I have always been interested in politics, my mother has never been very interested in politics but my father always has.
I would struggle to label my own political thinking, I'd say I combine so-called ultra right-wing ideals with (so called) ultra left-wing ideals.
Which has been rather difficult right up 'till now, but if you don't suffer for what you believe in, you believe in nothing. :grin:

Offlinealphaking
Stranger
Male
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Durbs]
    #17772831 - 02/09/13 12:34 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

NIETZCHE!

Offlinetokeweed420
 User Gallery

Loc: north of 60
Re: About me (and you) [Re: alphaking]
    #20917896 - 12/02/14 02:36 PM (6 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

alphaking said:
NIETZCHE!

good points argued here

--------------------
:volcano:  :volcano2:

Offlinehumphreybot
Stranger
    #21803404 - 06/13/15 05:32 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

i dont know if this reply is truely relevant or not. got a warning from the site. fuck it, replying anyways.

i am a newbie, 54 years old. no political party. i believe like my man james madison that were are all responsible for our state of being.

i am most likely to lean towards equality. i have no tolerance for bigotry or prejudice at all (fuck the sec, love you akbar)

i look forward to sharing opinions and screaming at you all in the future.

you can blame my presence on one of your own, just not saying whom

Invisiblemycosis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSA Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: humphreybot]
    #21803423 - 06/13/15 05:37 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

:ushankadrink:

Invisiblepaperbackwriter
Edward Lear

#22354545 - 10/09/15 11:49 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, I'll give this a shot.

I'm a mid-30s father of two.  I've been a stay at home dad most of the last five years.  I've mostly worked in the restaurant industry but have also done quite a bit of phone based technical support and a fair amount of construction.

I enjoy cooking and have worked at some pretty nice restaurants over the years.  I also enjoy growing mushrooms.  My goal is to perfect my growing techniques and get an edible business off the ground.

In my free time I enjoy reading non-fiction, edible mushroom hunting, and arguing politics on the internet!

If you're nice to me I'll be nice to you.  If you want to be a dick you can expect me to run out of patience eventually.

:smug:

--------------------
Why should we strive with cynic frown
To knock their fairy castles down?  ~ Eliza Cook

It's rather embarrassing to have given one's entire life to pondering the human predicament and to find that in the end one has little more to say than, 'Try to be a little kinder.' ~Aldous Huxley

OfflineTipote
petty crook and transvestite
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK/France/US
    #22560983 - 11/22/15 06:02 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

Born in 1989
Male, Caucasian, French/British/American
In the US for a few months every year but reside at other times in UK and France
born in the Caribbean, upbringing in various US states, the UK and France
Father was first in the French military and then founded an organisation similar to MSF working in all over running refugee camps and supplying emergency aid. This was probably my main introduction to politics/global affairs.
Mother is a language teacher of Spanish descent. I can say about 10 words in Spanish, half of which are useful.
I was brought up without religion but I believe in a concept of God
Political views probably classed as liberal in the American sense but are closer towards socialist/anarchist.
Degree from a UK University in International Politics and Conflict Resolution with a particular focus on Middle Eastern Politics. I also did minors in Philosophy, Ethics and Religion
I'm drawn to permaculture farming, aquaponics, mushroom cultivation/mycology and international aid organisation work and just trying to find a way to work for myself
The more I have learned about politics, the more broken I see the entire system to be though I try to be optimistic.

other:
i come from a low income background.
I love all animals, especially kitties.
I smoke weed on the reg. And love psychedelics.
I enjoy debate, kindness, and laughing.
i hang to the left.

:typingdog:

Edited by Tipote (04/23/19 12:54 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Tipote]
    #22819789 - 01/24/16 03:59 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I like. :thumbup:  I love dem animals. I have four dogs myself.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineAtobaccotaster
Stranger

#24274344 - 04/26/17 07:08 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I'm male, 32, from the greater Richmond City, Virginia
and Suburbs,
having only spent about one year in the city.

I'm interested in government reform on point of the abolition of necessity laws, laws which invade fairness because of a perceived necessity on point of scoring highest by the eye for an eye scales of ma'at. Especially on point of taxation without thorough consensual validation none of the money goes to any necessity law enabling.

If the taxes upkeep government military and economic global infrastructure, all necessity laws upheld by the government are enabled.

I am a Sufi persuasion Sunni Muslim. I consider taxes best replaced by an anarcho jihad within global monotheism and mysticism wherein 1/10th of spending is donated to scientific method validated most impersonal upkeep of the military's evolution. If telepathy and astral travel exist, exact stop is scried at global mosques monasteries and ashrams in transitioning government spending over to an anarchist military by a dollar for dollar initial exchange system,
intended even to abolish global warming and any other prospective humanoid inflicted environmental catastrophe spending.

If any astral traveling shroomers exist, they can lucid dream on and astral scry the impersonal stop they are capable of objectively contributing.

OfflineCount of SabugosaS
Nerdy floater
Male User Gallery

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Atobaccotaster] * 3
    #24275094 - 04/27/17 05:13 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

One of my instant favorite threads...

I'm 36, born in Israel, brought up in Brazil and a US Citizen since 2010. I came to the US with my mother in September 96.

My family's philosophy was to do onto others, etc. Political affiliations were nill, but since my father lived through a right-wing Authoritarian, Military Regime in Brazil from 68 to 1980, and since I have refugees and victims in my family tree from both Stalin and Hitler, neither extremes were cultivated. Most of the men in my immediate family were soldiers in Israel, and that also helped shape my political views. Ultimately, I lived through the core of the far right-wing philosophy in my pre-adulthood, but was always inclined to a social-capitalist and progressivist mindset, which eventually settled in me.

I'm an atheist for having no deity, a skeptic for not believing and an agnostic for not knowing, but also a graduate rabbi (obviously non-practicing for a long time). I respect all religions, but dislike any kind of dogma. I do not find it necessary - I actually find it annoying - to be a militant for the cause of "lack of belief." I also have a BA in International Relations, and am now a teacher.

I am a writer, but seldom an author. My dream is to be able to write a book. My only complete work, still requiring much review, is named "Being Jewish," written in Portuguese, originally, as a response to Rabbi Oliver Sacks, from the UK. I speak Portuguese, Spanish, Hebrew and English, and know some Yidische and German.

Great to meet you, guys!

--------------------
In Hebrew, the words "wine" and "secret" hold the same numerologic value. When wine comes in, secrets spill out. Do you think the person who said that knew mushrooms? When mushrooms come in... Is there anything beyond a secret?

Edited by Count of Sabugosa (04/27/17 05:22 AM)

OfflineConnoisseur

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Count of Sabugosa] * 1
    #24578127 - 08/25/17 12:38 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

S - Male
A - 20s
P - Independent/Green Party
C - USA
N - Italian

Offlineghost914
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24614955 - 09/08/17 09:42 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I'm 21, male, white hispanic. I'm a fascist yet I've look at many ideologies within a couple of years and I've determined all that is necessary is that we stick together under nation and God to bring America on top. I do not believe that we should up and go to war with countries but I do believe war is a necessary reality in certain situations. I am a Christian that adheres to stoicism, I am a Christian because the Bible gives direction in life and Jordan Peterson gives it a objective truth to it.

Edited by ghost914 (09/08/17 09:44 PM)

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

Loc: Spain
Re: About me (and you) [Re: alphaking]
    #24644439 - 09/19/17 03:59 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

alphaking said:
NIETZCHE!

You mean Friedrich NIETZSCHE ??  At least learn to spell his name you dozy fuckwit !!!!

--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Maybe some mod or whatever might think this has now been long enough.

OfflineDrayce
Spidget Finner
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaia
    #24746691 - 10/29/17 10:21 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
When debating with you guys (and gals), I find it easy to be sarcastic and demeaning b/c I view many of you not as people with feelings, but as some entity created by the create and mighty internet. ]

I am a 20 year-old male from MI who is attending a 4-yr college for the purpose of obtaining a Bachelor's of Science in political science w/ a minor in business. I love poli. sci., but absolutely can't stand my business courses. My grade point average is a 3.9, and my academic progress is very important to me.

I have only been interested in politics since the end of the 2004 election, and to tell the truth, I didn't even vote. My embarassment over being so apathetic about such an important aspect of citizenship is what eventually got me interested. This forum has fed my knowledge of both domestic and international politics greatly, due to the wide spectrum of political representation here. At first, I just lurked, due to my lack of knowledge, and fear of being made a fool of, but eventually I decided to post and I have been doing so ever since.

EDIT:  Disregard previous posting.  I didn't see the original OP date.
I have no excuse.

Edited by Drayce (10/30/17 09:50 AM)

InvisibleEnlilM
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Drayce]
    #24747038 - 10/30/17 06:48 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Wow...math and/or observation fail, bro. That post was written in 2006, and he said he was 20 and was interested in politics since 2004. 

Wanna try that again?

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineZakaij
Stranger noDanger
I'm a teapot

Re: About me (and you) [Re: Enlil]
    #24766797 - 11/07/17 02:20 PM (3 years, 27 days ago)

:laugh:

OfflineIearnit
Stranger
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Zakaij]
    #24768838 - 11/08/17 09:14 AM (3 years, 27 days ago)

Wonder what his honest perceptive is now . . .

OfflineDace5
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Iearnit] * 2
    #25286742 - 06/23/18 07:05 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I was born a poor Black Child... Nah, just kidding, I'm White but grew up poor. Born in 1960. My Father worked as a dairy farmer, my Mother didn't work. I'm the youngest of 4 boys. In 1970 my Father had a heart attack and was disabled and could no longer work. My Mother picked up a job picking mushrooms (no shit) part time because she still had to care for my Father, Brothers and me. We got Gov. Assistance, food stamps, no cash benefits. That was back when you had to go to the welfare office to pick up your food stamps, then go to the distribution center for your Gub'ment cheese. (2 lb block) and powdered milk, canned shredded chicken and pork. I realized years later that my mother was an awesome cook because the meals she was able to pull out of that shit were amazing. Because we were on welfare we got lunch tokens for school lunch. Being 10 years old and wearing hand me downs was bad enough but then they called you out into the hall to receive your token, and every kid in class knew who the welfare kid was. I got into a lot of fights. This lasted until I quit school at 16 and my Parents signed off for me to enlist. I left 3 months later when I turned 17. And although those years were pretty bad, I look back and am thankful that we had what we had. 
Politically, I'm a Conservative. Small Government and personal responsibility is high on my list.  That being said, I realize, through my own experiences that Government assistance is important and that people who need it should have access to it. What I don't approve of is generations on assistance. Kids, teaching their kids, teaching their kids how to scam the system. The system itself, makes it difficult to get off of assistance. We need reform.
I voted for Trump. He wasn't my first choice, I was leaning toward Johnson and being a Vet, couldn't vote for that lying whore of a dog Clinton and Sanders was to far left. Johnson was a flake. Unprepared in the debates. Clueless. Stein? Nah. That Left Trump. Hey, I voted for Reagan so...
I'm am pleasantly surprised at trump. He is pretty much upholding his campaign promises despite the push back for the RINOs and the deceitful media.
I expect to vote for him again in the upcoming Presidential Election. Democrats have no one.

Oh yeah, I'm married and have three girls. 32, 20 and 18. I also own several handguns and am licensed for concealed carry. My oldest carries also and so will my two youngest when they turn 21. They will not become victims.
I also like cats, I have one. His name is Stoopid. I Kayak fish, mostly salt water, Striper, Flounder, Black Sea Bass and Tautog. Long walks on the beach and holding hands, quiet moonlight dinners and snuggling.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Innvertigo]
    #25949088 - 04/22/19 11:50 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
I'm a 35 year old white male (German/Italian/English). I'm a traditional Libertarian, though I haven't always been a Libertarian, I used to be a conservative in the 90's.  Well I was a conservative as far as the definition describes and not what it is today. I'm not a lover of the left/democrat philosophy and up until our current president I'm no lover of the Republicans neither.  I'm not a very compassionate person towards people who can do things but won't for any reason.  I've been interested in politics since I was 21 and have voted in every election since I was 18, however I don't normally vote in local elections.

As far as education goes I have a BS in Architecture and an MBA from the University of Michigan (Go Blue!)with a concentration is Human Resources.  I work as an Architect at a large company and actually enjoy it.  I've lived in Michigan my entire life with the exception of my military service where I lived in Washington and Oklahoma. I have a wife and no kids but she's expecting our fist child soon.

I am heavily into sports, Hockey, Football (American), snowboarding, hunting and fishing. I love snowboarding since I was about 18 though I don't do half as many tricks as I used to. I used to be on this site quite a bit but now my work only allows me a few posts a day.  I've been hunting since I was 13 and been fishing all of my life.

My turn ons are puppies, kittens and walks on the beach
Turn offs: liberals, Birkenstock sandals and vegetarians

Where did you go mate?

I was reading random posts from way back and I ended up reading a bunch of your political posts.

What do you think of politics today?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleZombiWurm
Stranger

#26335598 - 11/21/19 09:12 AM (1 year, 14 days ago)

What are all of you doing now over 10 years later?

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: ZombiWurm]
    #26335640 - 11/21/19 09:26 AM (1 year, 14 days ago)

Waiting for the newbies, like you, to post about yourself.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlineliving_failure
unworthy
Male

Loc: spain, madrid
Re: About me (and you) [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #26414210 - 01/03/20 10:37 AM (10 months, 26 days ago)

Lets to a small negromancy with this post:

Male
29 years Old
Spanish, part castillian, part basque and part andalusie that for some reason is the part blonde with blue eyes.
Studied Mechanical engineering, ended up as a software developer.
However i spent most of my teenage years having problems with authority, now that i earn enough is different i guess.
I prefer to avoid labels, but since everyone is labeling themselves:
I am kinda far-left oriented more into the anarchist side that the socialist one.

InvisibleZombiWurm
Stranger

Re: About me (and you) [Re: living_failure]
    #26414614 - 01/03/20 02:45 PM (10 months, 25 days ago)

Socialism and Communism is evil and the scum of the earth. Anarchists are completely against all things socialist or communist.

InvisibleZombiWurm
Stranger

Re: About me (and you) [Re: living_failure]
    #26414623 - 01/03/20 02:46 PM (10 months, 25 days ago)

As an anarchist, we are waging war against modern american communists.

OfflineStable Genius
.... in the loop
 User Gallery

Loc: Wide Bay, Aus Flag
Re: About me (and you) [Re: ZombiWurm] * 2
    #26436228 - 01/16/20 05:48 AM (10 months, 13 days ago)

First political experience - aged 6 - conned into letterbox delivery of Australian Labour Party How to Vote flyers by grand father.

Home state of Qld, known as The Police State.

Was in high school in the 70's during the reign of the corrupt Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen

Took Citizenship Education as a subject due to influence from Left Wing Socialist teacher(who also gave us the use of a shed for our band to practice in).

Saw dad on strike many times. He a Life Member - Electrical Trade Union.

Found my own electrical trade apprenticeship after finishing Year 10.

Saw massive change in electrical industry, worked West Aus, Northern Territory, Queensland in construction field.

Held shop steward position on construction sites, mainly for safety reasons, sort your own fucking pay problems out.

Walked out the gate on strike many times and marched to various government offices and been as obnoxious as required by organisers.

Became disillusioned when drug testing took the fun out things.

Retrained again into Renewable Energy field.

First court appearance 15. Have taken police on in court, and won, twice. Have represented myself in court. Have been mistaken as solicitor by solicitor.

Am now masquerading as a business owner.

Still playing guitar badly.

Wish I had tripped on shrooms earlier in life.

:hatsoff:

Offlinekitten6
hiker
Male

Loc: UK 0161
    #26455181 - 01/27/20 12:17 PM (10 months, 2 days ago)

born in the UK, immigrant parents father from Netherlands and Mother from Turkey, currently studying in college. I think maybe names/labels are not such a good thing but maybe they are convenient in this case so, i guess i could be called anarchist communalist idealist. I think revolutions are always called too late and by then it is already too late. My turkish background leads me to be quite into kurdish communism but I don't believe in the eventual dissolution of power. Socialism although less idealistic is simply a convenience escape to what is necessary. I think regulation is no means to solve any problems. Regulation shouldn't be necessary there shouldn't have been an opportunity in the first place for corporations to become so expansive, which is the reason why 'regulation' was invented. People talk about separation of powers as if they balance things out now that is abused powers learn to take shots from each other and will find infinite ingenious ways to exploit each other for them eventually leading to a champion. We are well on our way to finding out who the champion will be and we are narrowed down to only to less than a hundred competitors likely of winning at this stage. We have come to the point where there is no more rooms on the final battling ground of the giants, and hopefully by then all our problems will be solved by war.

OfflineVahn421
Awakening Moonlighter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland
    #26810905 - 07/08/20 11:06 AM (4 months, 25 days ago)

35, Male, Utah.

Republican Mormon until 2008.

Ex-Mormon liberal until about 2015.

Centrist/Libertarian since then. Socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

The reason I left the left was because I realized they're as religious as religious people are, just without the religion. In our modern climate, the political left is the party of censorship, cancel culture, heretics, heresy, dogma, heathens and apostates, etc...

I never thought I'd see the day where the party of censorship wasn't religious republicans but liberal leftists, but here we are.

My biggest platform is anti censorship and the exposure of what is truthful and real. Psychedelics help bring me here.

Yoroshiku.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Delicious Bacon, Ranch Dressing, Scales, Terrence McKenna, Thousand Island

General Interest >> Political Discussion