Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLBMushroom
Stranger
Question on casing (sterilization)...
    #5183805 - 01/15/06 02:53 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I know many people make casings and put them into aluminum trays, metal trays, etc. which are easy to sterilize by boiling, but all of the trays I've seen that I can boil aren't tall enough to hold the depth of substrate & moisture-retaining-stuff + allow the mushrooms to grow tall within that same "dish" (which helps because a lid can go over it and lock in the moisture without a growing chamber). There are a ton of plastic containers that will allow this though. Would it be sufficient enough to simply wash the plastic containers out with bleach or rubbing alcohol (which of the two is better)? Or would it be easier to buy microwavable plastic and simply boil water it that and leave it to cool, then dump it out and put everything in? How long would someone have to do that? Most microwavable dishes say they withstand temps. of 110+ degrees... but they never specify C or F. I'm not sure if it would melt or not. I guess I'm just asking for a good way to sterilize a plastic chamber that holds both the casing and allows the mushies to grow tall.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAbrainspot
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Rewind
Re: Question on casing (sterilization)... [Re: LBMushroom]
    #5183852 - 01/15/06 03:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Id say rubbing alcohol (the one with the higher content).

In front of a hepa, in a pre-steralized room.

I'm not sure if i understand the question completely tho.

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
Re: Question on casing (sterilization)... [Re: Abrainspot]
    #5183889 - 01/15/06 03:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

put some water in there and put it in the miro. rub it with alcohole. you could use bleach but you have to make sure you rinse super well so stick with alcohole if your going to rub route or just watch then use. sterilization isn't so important when it comes to casings beucase your substrate is 100% colonized when you dump it in and tehrefor quite resistant to contams hence why some poeple don't even sterilize their casing layer or bottom layer or trays. however to be safe i just wipe it out with alcohole takes 5 seconds.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
Re: Question on casing (sterilization)... [Re: skeletor]
    #5183892 - 01/15/06 03:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

also think about it. if the container says i can go up to 110 degrees its most likely C since 110F is not so uncommom for a day time temperature in warm climate.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

OfflineLBMushroom
Stranger
Re: Question on casing (sterilization)... [Re: skeletor]
    #5183914 - 01/15/06 03:31 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

skeletor said:
also think about it. if the container says i can go up to 110 degrees its most likely C since 110F is not so uncommom for a day time temperature in warm climate.

That's true, I didn't think of that for some reason... probably because I thought that they'd be using F because most companies in the US do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds