Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Loc: coming down fast, miles a...
I cant figure out why
    #517942 - 01/12/02 12:29 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Shrooms need water to produce large healthy fruit right? So why do some people put their cakes on lids instead of directly on the perlite where they can absorb what they need? Also I have seen pics of people growing out of jars in terrariums , what is the advantage of leaving them in the jars? Is it just to make things easy?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: I cant figure out why [Re: Chemical_Smile]
    #517959 - 01/12/02 12:50 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

To much water can cause problems.

The first book on home mushroom cultivation involved fruiting directly from Jars that were cased. It is easy, but recasing can be a pain in the ass in between flushes. Also you have a smaller surface area to fruit from then birthed cakes, or flat casings.

OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Loc: coming down fast, miles a...
Re: I cant figure out why [Re: ]
    #517968 - 01/12/02 12:58 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

What kind of problems? Can you elaborate ? Im currious.

Anonymous

Re: I cant figure out why [Re: Chemical_Smile]
    #518001 - 01/12/02 01:25 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

They need to breath to stay healthy. The perlite is not to wick the cakes, it is adding moisture to the air that surrounds the cakes. This high humidity combined with the remaining moisture within the cake, and good air exchange makes the mushrooms grow.
Having the cakes sit directly on the perlite can lead to contamination, dieback of the mycelium at the bottom of the cake. Most pictures you see of cakes fruiting will have a large portion of their fruits coming from the bottom section of the cake. If this cannot breath and is overly saturated, and is dying back, how many fruits will you get.
Some people put a bottom layer of perlite underneath their substrate when laying down trays to be cased, but this is to absorb excess water, not to supply water.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation