Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHollywood
journeyman
Help with Puerto's
    #517637 - 01/11/02 04:55 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I ve got a bunch of Puerto's growing right now, some in straw, some in 1/2 straw and 1/2 shit and some regular 50/50 casings.

The problem is that all of them a serious ass attitude problem. They all colonized extremely fast and have a incredible pin set but once they get to a about 2 inches they seem to stop growing except for the veil opening up and sporulating. Not to mention these little bastards dont ever get fatter than a pencil.

I'm pretty much totally pissed off as I've tried adjusting their growth parameters in every way possible but am still unable to correct the problem at hand.

I dont know what the problem could be because I've also got some EQ's and Gulf Coast's growing under the same conditions and their massive, growing a good six inches tall and getting as fat as my thumb before their viels break.

Now that I think of it as a point of reference ( because my sorry ass is digital camera illiterit ) if any of you got a chance to catch XAZIA'S recent post with pics of her Puerto's there were some different pics one with a couple of big ones and another with more smaller shrooms. The small ones in the pic resemble mine exept that my pin set is bigger by ten fold but what good is that if they never get any bigger or taller before the viel breaks and they sporulate all over the place?

I'm wondering if any of you that have had experience growing out this cub could tell me if you might have experienced any of the same set backs and if so what did you have to do to correct them...... that is if it is even a correctable problem. I can't help but wonder if it's just a character default of the particule strain I recieved from Myko Tek because I've eliminated just about every thing else I could think of.

Thanks Hollywood

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleisis
addict
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: Hollywood]
    #517851 - 01/11/02 08:56 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Many people have had problems with overlay with Puerto's. Could you be dealing with that? From what I have read they are very aggresive colonizers and they tend to overlay the casing.

OfflineHollywood
journeyman
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: isis]
    #518422 - 01/12/02 11:30 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

No it's not overlay but premature sporulation and stunted growth.

OfflineHollywood
journeyman
    #518697 - 01/12/02 05:41 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Damb its been two days.............. looks like nobody wants to help ol Hollywood out. *weeping*

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

#518706 - 01/12/02 05:46 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Could possibly be bad genetics.

Get a print from another vendor and try them again. Hopefully you'll see better results.

Peace

--------------------
[green]There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased this line.[/green]
Visit FSR

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: Trail_Blazer]
    #518812 - 01/12/02 08:36 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

rule of thumb here, don't grow Puerto's! They're a total pain in the ass.. they're still a wild sub-strain that hasn't been domesticated as of yet, they're a wild card from the word go.

so if anyone were to get a massive flush from these fuckers, i'd have respect, because they've given me many problems too.

OfflineAnArKey
    #518889 - 01/12/02 09:54 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

You mentioned your pin set was x10 of what someone with sucess was. That's probably the problem. The mycelium is trying to support too many mushrooms.

You could try picking 70-90% of the little pins when they appear. That might give the remaining ones chances to grow to a respectable size.

But if you are getting shorties, but lots of them, what's the problem? Is the yield dramatically lower?

Anonymous

#519030 - 01/13/02 01:23 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Did you multispore directly into substrate, or isolate on agar first?
Either way you could have had bad luck, or picked a poor fruiter.
Too many pins can be a problem, but usually at least one would grow up normal!!!

I found them to be relatively easy. A tad bit slower to pin then others, but not difficult.
Isolated pure strain on agar from a multispore germination. Two transfers yielded a pure strain, clean of contaminants, and very uniform.
Innoculated substrate in Quart jars.
4 parts manure
1 part rye grass seed
1 part perlite
moisture content to field capacity.
Pressure cook for 2 hours at 15 psi. Large cooker.

Agar wedge innoculated jars of sterile substrate.
10 days to completely colonize 2 cups/jar substrate. at room Temperature in rubbermaid.

Broken up spawn was laid out in trays, aluminum meatloaf pans. 2 jars per pan, and cased with 1 1/2 inch layer of casing soil, 1peat:1/4 perlite moistoned to field capacity and sterilized for 45 minutes at 15 psi.
Casing was covered with plastic for 48 hours. Plastic was removed and placed in my fruiting chamber, one clear rubbermaid inverted on another, imperfectly sealed.
Pins were visible at 13 days from casing and matured by day 20 from casing. Slow compared to others. Fruits were singles, LARGE, and many clusters of up to 5 shrooms, one LARGE, and several small to medium all growing from the same cluster. Tenasiously attached together, and to the casing. Had to cut large ones at the base when mature, to allow connected small to medium to mature.
Very thick rhizomorphs, and very aggressive vegetatively. NEEDS THICK CASING, and very short casing incubation. Don't even wait for visible mycelium peaking through the casing surface. Initiate within 48 hours of casing.
The Spore race(Strain) is wild, but all of the Rhizomorphic sectors isolated from the original spore germination, FRUITED!!
I had no deformed mushrooms, or small mushrooms. ALL were quite robust. Only small ones were attached to larger mushrooms in a cluster. SINGLES were giants.
I have no fancy setup for air exchange. They were slow at pinning and maturing compared to other SPORE RACES, but they are one of my favorite cubensis.
KEYS TO SUCCESS:
Thick casing layer, greater then 1 inch.
Early initiation after casing, no longer then 48 hours. Initiation involves an instant reduction in stagnant air. Manual fanning with a paper plate if neccessary, but not at the expense of casing layer moisture. Mist casing layer to keep immediate soil air interface moist, but not wet.
Hint. Closed, sealed grow boxes with condensation on the walls will result in EXCESSIVE CASING LAYER COLONIZATION. It will try to eat your box. LOL Leave the lid slightly open.

If laying out thicker substrates, greater then 4 inches deep, I woud increase casing layer to 2 inches for sure.

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: ]
    #519068 - 01/13/02 02:17 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

excellent response

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: ]
    #519069 - 01/13/02 02:17 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

excellent response

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #519223 - 01/13/02 08:21 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hey Hollywood i'm also with puertos right now, i wanted to make you or anyone else a question, what is the amount of light per day you give them to initiate pinning ? Anything out of the ordinary ?

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: MAIA]
    #519322 - 01/13/02 10:50 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: ralphster44]
    #520486 - 01/14/02 01:21 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

hollywood...unfortunatley i seem to be having the same prob also. the pics in my post you refer to were taken on thurs of last week. none of the shrooms in my pics got any taller, the caps just started to open as you explained and sporulated. even the ones in the horse dung, yeah they were fat as hell but didn't get over 3 inches tall. haven't eaten any yet but hope the pack a hell of a nice trip or i may put this strain on my b list.

oh p.s- that pin set was from a casing made with only one pf cake, i now know that if i would of used more than one cake i would have seen much nicer results. i'm learning as i go though!!!

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Edited by XAZIA (01/14/02 01:25 PM)

Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: XAZIA]
    #520527 - 01/14/02 02:05 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hey Hollywood, I know what your talking about, I got that same damn problem,. I see way too many little pins and it seems like what is going on is that the Puertos mycelium is overcolonized and the pinning stage produces way too many pins. I believe that what is going on is the nutrients are never focused on one fruit, and instead are being dispersed to all of them. Thats just a wild guess though. But anyway, I do have another strain going, so I do know that PR are faster colonizers but very bad fruiters. I want a refund.

--------------------
"Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

"Never underestimate the power of denial." -from American Beauty.

OfflineHollywood
journeyman
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: mrdasani]
    #521186 - 01/15/02 12:44 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

LOL, I hear ya my friend, they can be a bitch! However its been a while since I started this thread and it looks like I'm stating to come out on the better end of it.

Like I said earlier, to try correcting the problem I put different tubs and casing under different conditions to try to better understand just what exactly they liked and came to some good conclusions.

The first thing that became apparent to me was that tubs and casings that were thicker than 2 inches, (some up to 4 inches thick did much better than their thinner conterparts.

Due to the massive pinset and number of fruits growing it seems that the nutrients in the substrate were rapidly consumed instead of gradually like the other strains I have growing. It made my think of five grown adults trying to fill their stomachs on a meal fit for one, its just not going to happen. So as an experiment on a select few of the thinner substrate projects as hard as it was to do I sacked up and pulled 1/3 of the pins and set them aside for later use. As the flush matured it was obvious that it had made a positive impact. The size of the fruits doubled and even tripled in size compared to earlier fruits as well as the end dry weight being better.

Secondly my Puerto projects consisted of tubs of plain straw, tubs of 1/2 straw and 1/2 dung, tubs of just dung and plain old 50/50 casings. The 50/50 casing and plain straw tubs seemed to come out on the bottom while the dung/ straw mix and just plain dung excelled due to the extra nutrients. However 50/50 casing and plain straw tubs did ok but only the thicker ones. The smaller ones didn's seem to hold enough nutrient value for this strains insatiable appetite and produces abundent but small, thin fruits that sporulated prematurley.

Also some tubs were cased, some were not and some tubs were cased thicker than others. The tubs that were cased, and especially the ones that recieved a thicker casing layer took longer but produced better results, (smaller pinset but bigger healthy fruits.

Last there were two other factors that seemed to have a big impact. Those being more frequent misting and constant air exchange. For the air exchange part I simply purchaced a large fish tank pump, a couple feet of hose and a three prong control valve so that I could run three lines off of the main. I figured due to ther appetite if they liked extra nutrients they must like extra water and oxygen and it seems to have payed off. What a thinker lol!

Also I just want to say thanks to everyone that replied to this thread, especially Teonan whos advice was right on the money. Thanks bro appreciate it.

Sorry to keep rambling but before I go I figured I'lI share my insight on the potency/ vibe this strain produces. Last night I was feeling kinda dangerous and decided to throw a good 3 or 4 of my bigger Puerto's back along with some of the pins I pulled.

Needless to say underestimated the potency of this cub and wound up with an unwanted solid level 4 or better trip that was for the most part down right unpleasant if not scary as scary as hell.

The trip was creepy as hell. It had an overwhelming erie feel to it. When it really started to come on I noticed a very loud buzzing noise like a fallen power line that just wouldn't go away. They made my mind wonder so much I couldn't even hold a thought other than that of feeling afraid. And the visuals weren't happy and colorful like other strains but rather came across as a little to spooky for me. All that I seen was this black fuzz kinda like cobweb web mold growing all over the place and even on me. It freeked me out so I went outside but there was even more of it growing in the sky and in the trees. When it was finally over I felt very releaved but suffered from heavy bodyload, headache and stomach pain. Worse than any other cub I've tried. Please don't let this scare you away from taking these you might love em but I don't think I even want to take them again.

Hollywood

Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
    #521472 - 01/15/02 05:08 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Holy shit Hollywood, I had that same exact trip mentality. Fuckin A, I think those Puertos contain a more "dirty" or different type of pysilocybin. Anyway, I know what your talking about, I saw some good visuals, but half way into it, my mind seemed regretful of a lot of shit. That night after I did PR I tried Treasure Coast and doubled the ammount cause of tolerance to my mind. But this time it was more "regular" the usual experience. Problem was, there were so many variables and things contributing to my trip, Im not sure if it was the PR or just a "bad day". Any way, I do know this, PR gave me a more confused mindset and everytime something repeated, I couldn't help but wonder why it happened, such as cars passing by the street, or as I yawned. If you come across these lil bastards, take heed, its a little different. I still want a refund!

--------------------
"Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

"Never underestimate the power of denial." -from American Beauty.

OfflineMycoangelo
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: mrdasani]
    #521526 - 01/15/02 06:10 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I have also noticed that these guys are small but potent. However I don't believe that the trip is any different from any other cubie, just more potent. Another interesting tidbit on this strain is that it is perfectly happy to grow invitro. Just flip the jar upside down after 100% colonization and expose to light 24/7 the entire growth process. When one of the caps starts to discolor: open jar, stab with sterilized chopstick making cake-sicle over the oven, pick off fruit, put cake-sicle back in jar, fill jar with tap-water, cap jar and stick it in cabinet overnight, pour off water, put back in growing area upside down and wait a few days for more fruit. The cakes seem to last forever and never get contaminated. The first flush is kindof a pain because there is very little room in the jar, so they grow down into the verm. But by the 2nd flush or so theres plenty of room and they make nice fruit. No terrarium, no contam. Requires regular maintenance however as larger fruits left in too long will blacken. Sometimes, all that is required is harvesting the fruit in question and jamming the rest back in to get bigger.
Credit to PF/Hippy Tek

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: Mycoangelo]
    #524410 - 01/18/02 10:33 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

OK...i know i'm late, but better late than never.
excellent info in this thread and extremely useful. i decided to harvest my casings and start over by spawning more dung. plus i had like 7 puerto cakes in a rubbermaid that were not doing anything, except one which i thought had contams while it was still in the jar and set it at the top of my closet and forgot about it, i checked on it and it had three shrooms about 3-4- inches long growing in the jar. two were at the top and had curved up like rams horns. anyways...
i pasturized some dung/straw mix, hung to drip and placed in a rubbermaid non-transparent container. broke up all seven cakes into small pieces and mixed well with dung. the dung and cakes make about a 4 inch layer of substarte. so......
should i case with 50/50 BEFORE 100% colonization, leave alone for about two three days then initiate pinning, and what would be the best way to do that if i were to case inside of the 10 gqallon rubbermaid directly?

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
    #524487 - 01/18/02 11:48 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Xazia,
Let the spawn/dung mixture fully colonize before casing. Once you case, let the mycelium run through the casing layer. When you see a bunch of ropes poppin out of the casing layer, then it's time to initiate pinning. This is best done by increasing the air flow and dropping the temp by 5-10 degrees F. for a day or two. As long as you have good air flow and 90% relative humidity, you should be all good.
PR's are by far the fastest strain I've ever seen. 1/2 pints innoculated with isolated liquid mycelium colonized in 10 days.

OfflineMycoangelo
    #524925 - 01/18/02 07:16 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I've read that if you use manure you really don't need to case. Is that true?

OfflineHollywood
journeyman
Re: Help with Puerto's [Re: Mycoangelo]
    #525268 - 01/19/02 01:46 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Damb I'm impressed this turned out to be a great thread. Thanks everyone!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale