Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Depleted Uranium
    #5156205 - 01/08/06 08:57 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What does the political consensus feel about Uranium weapons used on the battlefield. Many countries have used them predominantly by the U.S. in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom, Also in the Balkans and BH territories. Its toxicity is debated but it has shown in contaminated areas risk of a cancer and birth defects.

Do you think its use in the battlefield should be legal?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5156335 - 01/08/06 09:30 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Now, I'm VERY liberal, but I'm also a scientist....

As such, I really have no problem w/ depleted uranium ammunition. Depleted Uranium is LESS radioactive than the uranium found naturally in the Earth. Any student knows that. While forming it into bullets obviously concentrates it, I still see little evidence to show that is harmful in ANY quantity.

I'm not sure where the incidence of higher birth defects, etc, comes from. Links?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #5156839 - 01/08/06 11:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#5156889 - 01/08/06 11:41 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I don't care what's used on the battlefield. Not like it's a playground or something.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: daimyo]
    #5157036 - 01/09/06 12:24 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It's half life is 4.5 billion years, it is a very toxic heavy metal disregarding the radioactivity.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #5157168 - 01/09/06 01:33 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
I don't care what's used on the battlefield. Not like it's a playground or something.

I sure hope you're in the military making comments like that.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #5157396 - 01/09/06 04:33 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

and lets not forget that people live in the battleground after the war is over, which is where the concern comes in. if the battleground was some barren wasteland that no one ever visited for a thousand years after the war then that would be one thing, but currently the battleground is Baghdad and other heavily populated areas.

i won't pretend to know for sure whether or not DU has real negative health consequences or not (i don't really know) but there is evidence that it does. Since so many people claim to care about the welfare of the Iraqis i think the obvious choice would be to determine once and for all whether it does or not, because if it does, then it must be stopped. otherwise we are all just hypocrites when we talk about helping iraq.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Edited by JonnyOnTheSpot (01/09/06 04:47 AM)

OfflineHiflyer
Stranger
Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #5157404 - 01/09/06 04:41 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Now, I'm VERY liberal, but I'm also a scientist....

As such, I really have no problem w/ depleted uranium ammunition.  Depleted Uranium is LESS radioactive than the uranium found naturally in the Earth. Any student knows that.  While forming it into bullets obviously concentrates it, I still see little evidence to show that is harmful in ANY quantity.

I'm not sure where the incidence of higher birth defects, etc, comes from.  Links?

Do you have some stats/evidence/studies to back up this position? 

There was the "Radiation: a New Generation of Hibakusha" documentary.  It seems like  DU would be a cause of exposure...but we'd need to see the geiger levels of various places and overlap that with DU use, or nuke plants/ weapons facilities.

Funny, the French and Japanese are right up at the top of the list for Nuclear Power plants per capita, I think.  :shrug:

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: Hiflyer]
    #5157407 - 01/09/06 04:47 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

who is this puppet?

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #5157912 - 01/09/06 11:07 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

daimyo said:

Soon enough. You?

Why do you believe that military service is a prerequisite to an opinion on the matter of using depleted uranium on a battlefield?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5157985 - 01/09/06 11:28 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

My only problem with depleted uranium is when it is used against urban targets, where the radioactivity has a high chance of having an effect on civilians long after the round is shot.

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: Depleted Uranium [Re: Redstorm]
    #5159356 - 01/09/06 06:06 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Fanatic muslims believe that the only guarantee they have of going to heaven is to die fighting for the cause of Allah. Now everyone is happy.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #5160313 - 01/09/06 09:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

Soon enough. You?

Yes, eight years.

Quote:

Why do you believe that military service is a prerequisite to an opinion on the matter of using depleted uranium on a battlefield?

It's not a prerequisite, it just seems rather callous to me for an armchair general to say "who gives a fuck what soldiers are exposed to?"

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5161755 - 01/10/06 07:39 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i don't see any problem with using it in armor, but i'll agree that it's overused in munitions.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom