Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBarnelby
Enthusiast
Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic)
    #5158795 - 01/09/06 03:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Ok first off I will explain why my cake looks like this...this is my first grow and this cake was colonizing so slowly (because I made the substrate too dry) I just decided to birth way early to experiment with it. I wanted to see if I could make a worthy fruit chamber for my 2 good cakes, and so far it looks like I can. I've already conquered some cobweb, but last night this green crap popped up. I have read on some posts that this can be scraped off and sprayed with h202. What do you guys think? What is up with that striped mushroom growing off of the green spot? What should I scrape the stuff off with? Thanks

--------------------
In every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don't worry, be happy.

Edited by Barnelby (01/09/06 03:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Loc: Washington
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: Barnelby]
    #5158818 - 01/09/06 03:36 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Because of the yellowness of your photo, it's hard to actually see what you are talking about, but if you feel it should be scraped off, flame-sterilize a blade or razor and scrape it off, spray directly on that spot with h2o2 and maybe add a little salt on that spot for good measuere, being careful not to get anything on the other growth areas. The striped mushroom is normal enough.

--------------------

Offlineblueferret
some guy

Loc: cow town
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: matchbook]
    #5158935 - 01/09/06 04:12 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

looks kinda like brusing not mold. take a Qtip and rub the spot if nothing comes off on the Qtip its probably just brusing and shouldnt be worried about.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: blueferret]
    #5159224 - 01/09/06 05:27 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Agreed. I'll bet rubbing it makes nothing happen, but a few minutes later, it will be bluer/greener. It looks like a chunk of verm there and the mycelium on top of it dried out.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBarnelby
Enthusiast
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: blueferret]
    #5159226 - 01/09/06 05:28 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Nope, it was a contam...scraped most of it off...hoping it stays gone.. :frown:

--------------------
don't worry, be happy.

Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: Barnelby]
    #5159256 - 01/09/06 05:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What makes you say it was a contam? Did you do the q-tip test? Small bumpy parts of the cake can turn greenish-blue, and look a lot like contam, or the beginning of a green-blue pin.

--------------------

OfflineBarnelby
Enthusiast
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: matchbook]
    #5159532 - 01/09/06 06:41 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah, Q tipped it. Came off...so I started scraping...took off about a quarter inch of mycelium...kept seeing little bits of it here and there. At least the better part of the cake wasnt contam'd.

--------------------
don't worry, be happy.

Offlineblueferret
some guy

#5161638 - 01/10/06 05:05 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

make sure and h2o2 and or salt on it then. I have had great luck with fighting things with salt.

Offlineismokeweed
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5162783 - 01/10/06 01:50 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

how much salt do you need to put on a small spot of contam? just like a few grains or a dash..

OfflineAngeloWish
Sr. Mydriasis

Loc: MEXICO-Mushroom Capital
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: ismokeweed]
    #5163067 - 01/10/06 03:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Cover it in salt.

--------------------
+'this' reality is the one i like the most+

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: AngeloWish]
    #5163112 - 01/10/06 03:12 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

idd say scrap and cover with h202, well affter confirming that it is not brusing.... take q-tip dab the spot, if nothing shows up on qtip, its bruising, but if sometime does, its green mold. goodl LLuck!,.

--------------------
"Sanity is not statistical."

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: DinahTheCat]
    #5163575 - 01/10/06 04:52 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Salting substrate or casing material is worthless. As mushroom mycelium hates salts. H202 only effects the mold spores, not the living mycelium. That procedure will only cause rotting and then MEGA contaminations. The only thing you can do is continue to dig out the contaminated substrate from the cake until it recovers with mushroom mycelium. Do this away from your grow area for sure. No need in spreading mold spores throughout your growing area...

Edited by hotnutz (01/10/06 04:53 PM)

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #5163612 - 01/10/06 04:59 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

would it also help when after you dig the contam spots out, add some h202?

--------------------
"Sanity is not statistical."

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: DinahTheCat]
    #5163661 - 01/10/06 05:08 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

No. Simply dig out the contaminated substrate beyond the infction some to ensure of a good mushroom mycelium recovery and that you've gotten all of the contaminate. Don't add anything to the freshly, dug out spot. That will only set back the mushroom myceliums ability to colonize it quickly and will allow the contaminate a chance to take a foothold on the substrate again. Make sure to do your surgery outside, well away from your grow area. After surgery, don't go in to your grow area at all. Spores from the mold will be all over you. Wash up and change clothes before going back in to your grow area.

IMO, this is too much work for saving a single cake. I'd disgard properly and start anew...

Edited by hotnutz (01/10/06 05:58 PM)

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
    #5163731 - 01/10/06 05:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

looks and sounds like bruising, which is normal and perfectly fine.

however the color of the picture makes it very hard to pinpoint what it could be.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

Offlinematchbook
Photographer

#5163733 - 01/10/06 05:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
No. Simply dig out the contaminated substrate beyond it some to ensure of a good mushroom mycelium recovery and that you've gotten all of the contaminate. Don't add anything to the freshly, dug out spot. That will only set back the mushroom myceliums ability to colonize it quickly and will allow the contaminate a chance to take a foothold on the substrate again. Make sure to do your surgery outside, well away from your grow area. After surgery, don't go in to your grow area at all. Spores from the mold will be all over you. Wash up and change clothes before going back in to your grow area.

IMO, this is too much work for saving a single cake. I'd disgard properly and start anew...

What are you talking about? Contams can't take a foothold when you cover the area in salt. The contam will only continue if it finds a way to spread into another area. Too much work? It only takes 2 minutes to scrape, spray, and dump salt.

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#5163849 - 01/10/06 05:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Wrong. Salt is a horrible additive for beating contaminates. Mushroom mycelium (especially cubensis) will not colonize a salted substrate. Thus, no mushroom mycelium on the substrate=contaminate prone substrates and rotting. Rotting=bacterium. Try it and see, because you obviously haven't.....

Edited by hotnutz (01/10/06 05:46 PM)

Offlineblueferret
some guy

#5164314 - 01/10/06 07:50 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Funny makes me wonder why I have had myc grow back over a salted area... I know I wasnt shrooming cause the grow hadn't fruited yet....
In my experiance myc is very very slow to recolinize a salted area it does not like salt but if you dont over do it, it can grow back, and I have never once had salt cause anything to rot salt is a preservative. you may end up with a bare spot but it wont cause your stuff to rot.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#5164364 - 01/10/06 08:03 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It most certainly will cause rotting, even with smaller applications. Mushroom mycelium will NOT colonize a feshly salted spot, in which makes the spot vulnerable to contamination later on. Salt also will penetrate far deeper into the substate than needed. If your going to do a salt type treatment, use hydrated lime instead.

Edited by hotnutz (01/10/06 08:05 PM)

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#5164404 - 01/10/06 08:13 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

By the way, salt only works as a preservative when used heavily.....

Edited by hotnutz (01/10/06 08:16 PM)

OfflineBarnelby
Enthusiast
    #5164747 - 01/10/06 09:26 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Wow this sure has gotten big. Ok so here's the deal. As I said this was my first cake so it is kind of my experiment cake. Didn't dunk it or anything; would have fallen apart. I scraped off the green (as much of it as I could) but today there were hints of it in the same spot. I scraped the shit out of it to ensure that it doesnt come back...but as I said, this is just my "practice cake" so I dont really care. I have some very nice looking mushrooms on there right now, though. I'll put up a pic tomorrow. I put salt on the spot before I read what was said about salt...oh well. We'll see. Two concerns, though. My mushrooms seem to have furry little bases...at first I assumed this was cobweb, but it is normal right? Also, my pins have a trace of green around where the cap connects to the stem...what is up with that?

--------------------
don't worry, be happy.

Edited by Barnelby (01/10/06 09:27 PM)

Offlinematchbook
Photographer

#5165905 - 01/11/06 01:04 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
Wrong. Salt is a horrible additive for beating contaminates. Mushroom mycelium (especially cubensis) will not colonize a salted substrate. Thus, no mushroom mycelium on the substrate=contaminate prone substrates and rotting. Rotting=bacterium. Try it and see, because you obviously haven't.....

You are incorrect.  I have used the salt method before on the mean green.  I saw a small little patch of green start, and I immediately dumped a small pile of salt on it, as you see in the picture, but not enough.  So I dumped a bit more and covered it.  The salt stopped it and I got a beautiful flush.  It was just a small area.. so I didn't care if the mycelium colonized that area or not.  I'm just glad I salted it.  Eventually the green did escape, but not before yielding me 2 nice flushes.  If I hadn't used the salt, I probably would have lost the casing before the first flush.

Sorry for the large images

Before

After :smile:

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#5166375 - 01/11/06 06:58 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

matchbook said:
Quote:

hotnutz said:

You are incorrect.  I have used the salt method before on the mean green.  Eventually the green did escape, but not before yielding me 2 nice flushes.  If I hadn't used the salt, I probably would have lost the casing before the first flush.

Sorry for the large images

Before

After :smile:

You just proved me right. lol! And you applied it on the casing layer. Do it on the substrate and see what happens, like a cake for instance. Like we're discussing here remember. I'm not incorrect at all. Wait to see his cake now after a good salting recommendation.....

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #5166608 - 01/11/06 09:10 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomArtist84 said:
looks and sounds like bruising, which is normal and perfectly fine.

however the color of the picture makes it very hard to pinpoint what it could be.

It looks perfectly fine to me, or DID. But, he's already scraped, salted, peroxided it, and Lord knows what else.

OfflineBarnelby
Enthusiast
    #5168585 - 01/11/06 05:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
Quote:

It looks perfectly fine to me, or DID. But, he's already scraped, salted, peroxided it, and Lord knows what else.

Yeah yeah yeah, well it's not like it was my FIRST CAKE OR SOMETHING!!!  :evil: Haha. But I'm pretty damn sure it was a contam it was spreading relentlessly so I just grabbed the shrooms that werent near it, dried em, and chunked the cake....to make room for some fully colonized 1/2 pint badboys :cool:

--------------------
don't worry, be happy.

Edited by Barnelby (01/11/06 07:14 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale