Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBarnelby
Enthusiast
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #5164747 - 01/10/06 09:26 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Wow this sure has gotten big. Ok so here's the deal. As I said this was my first cake so it is kind of my experiment cake. Didn't dunk it or anything; would have fallen apart. I scraped off the green (as much of it as I could) but today there were hints of it in the same spot. I scraped the shit out of it to ensure that it doesnt come back...but as I said, this is just my "practice cake" so I dont really care. I have some very nice looking mushrooms on there right now, though. I'll put up a pic tomorrow. I put salt on the spot before I read what was said about salt...oh well. We'll see. Two concerns, though. My mushrooms seem to have furry little bases...at first I assumed this was cobweb, but it is normal right? Also, my pins have a trace of green around where the cap connects to the stem...what is up with that?

--------------------
In every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don't worry, be happy.

Edited by Barnelby (01/10/06 09:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Loc: Washington
    #5165905 - 01/11/06 01:04 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
Wrong. Salt is a horrible additive for beating contaminates. Mushroom mycelium (especially cubensis) will not colonize a salted substrate. Thus, no mushroom mycelium on the substrate=contaminate prone substrates and rotting. Rotting=bacterium. Try it and see, because you obviously haven't.....

You are incorrect.  I have used the salt method before on the mean green.  I saw a small little patch of green start, and I immediately dumped a small pile of salt on it, as you see in the picture, but not enough.  So I dumped a bit more and covered it.  The salt stopped it and I got a beautiful flush.  It was just a small area.. so I didn't care if the mycelium colonized that area or not.  I'm just glad I salted it.  Eventually the green did escape, but not before yielding me 2 nice flushes.  If I hadn't used the salt, I probably would have lost the casing before the first flush.

Sorry for the large images

Before

After :smile:

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: matchbook]
    #5166375 - 01/11/06 06:58 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

matchbook said:
Quote:

hotnutz said:
Wrong. Salt is a horrible additive for beating contaminates. Mushroom mycelium (especially cubensis) will not colonize a salted substrate. Thus, no mushroom mycelium on the substrate=contaminate prone substrates and rotting. Rotting=bacterium. Try it and see, because you obviously haven't.....

You are incorrect.  I have used the salt method before on the mean green.  Eventually the green did escape, but not before yielding me 2 nice flushes.  If I hadn't used the salt, I probably would have lost the casing before the first flush.

Sorry for the large images

Before

After :smile:

You just proved me right. lol! And you applied it on the casing layer. Do it on the substrate and see what happens, like a cake for instance. Like we're discussing here remember. I'm not incorrect at all. Wait to see his cake now after a good salting recommendation.....

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Need help fast...contamination forming...Can I beat it??(pic) [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #5166608 - 01/11/06 09:10 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomArtist84 said:
looks and sounds like bruising, which is normal and perfectly fine.

however the color of the picture makes it very hard to pinpoint what it could be.

It looks perfectly fine to me, or DID. But, he's already scraped, salted, peroxided it, and Lord knows what else.

OfflineBarnelby
Enthusiast
    #5168585 - 01/11/06 05:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
Quote:

It looks perfectly fine to me, or DID. But, he's already scraped, salted, peroxided it, and Lord knows what else.

Yeah yeah yeah, well it's not like it was my FIRST CAKE OR SOMETHING!!!  :evil: Haha. But I'm pretty damn sure it was a contam it was spreading relentlessly so I just grabbed the shrooms that werent near it, dried em, and chunked the cake....to make room for some fully colonized 1/2 pint badboys :cool:

--------------------
In every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don't worry, be happy.

Edited by Barnelby (01/11/06 07:14 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract