Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprotected_son
Stranger
Best soil for cannabis and why?
    #5157482 - 01/09/06 06:19 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What would you say is the best soil for cannabis indoor and outdoor and why?

--------------------
*~-READ-~*

The creator of this reply or this post takes no responsibility or liability for anything that happens as a result of, you, reading or trying anything on this page or anything contained in subsequent pages. By reading this. you are implying that you are in agreement with this disclaimer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Loc: Vermont USA
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: protected_son]
    #5157839 - 01/09/06 10:35 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

no soil. go hydro.

--------------------
Did your grow fail, and now your out of spores? Problem Solved. Check out my CakeSaver Tek.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5236115/an/0/page/0

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Loc: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: NESpores]
    #5157859 - 01/09/06 10:45 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

nawh soil gives a much tastier bud and higher yields ime. i use a mix of potting soil, verm and peat and it works good enough for me but i have no idea what the best soil is.

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
    #5158324 - 01/09/06 01:06 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Here is an ongoing thread on outdoor soil choices :sun:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5157491/an/0/page/0

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#5158336 - 01/09/06 01:12 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

A well fortefied loose soil. Organic. Worm castings, bat guano, sea bird guano, coco coir, blood meal, lime, kelp meal, fish immulsions. Chealates, and natural organisms.

Fox Farms makes a good soil that needs to be lightened with perelite.

I dont care what others say.............

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5158406 - 01/09/06 01:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SHEIKofSHIITAKE said:
A well fortefied loose soil.  Organic.  Worm castings, bat guano, sea bird guano, coco coir, blood meal, lime, kelp meal, fish immulsions.    Chealates, and natural organisms.

:thumbup:

also, when budding they will love some ground bone meal.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: rod]
    #5160041 - 01/09/06 08:43 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

This one :wink:...........................

Root your toot
by DJ Short, photos by Barge (04 May, 2001) The right soil and nutrients are key components to having phat, happy buds.

The best indoor buds are soil grown. Actual organic earth allows buds to produce flavours, tastes and effects which cannot yet be reproduced in hydroponic systems. Unlike hydro systems, soil is not meant to be a sterile medium. Quite the contrary, the best soils are very much alive and thriving.

Superior soil

It is possible to grow plants in specially prepared soil that will require no fertilizers in the water later on. There are a number of such commercial and specialty brands of potting soil on the market today. Most are not completely organic and may contain unwanted chemicals. There are some smaller companies up and down the West Coast, among other areas, that do make clean products. It is up to the consumer to shop around in their area and get familiarized with the brands available in the local market.

Even the good local products tend to skimp on some of their ingredients. This is why I like to supplement any commercial soil I use. The two main additives I use are worm castings and a bat/seabird guano mix. For soil used in the vegetative stage I like to add more worm castings than bat/seabird guano. For soil used in the bud cycle it's the opposite - more bat/seabird guano than worm castings. When one gets to know one's local products well and gets the mix down just right, the resulting success becomes evident.

The following is a simple recipe for a soil mix that has proven successful for me in the past. The bulk of the mix ? about 70% of the finished product ? is made up of equal parts peat or sphagnum moss (I prefer coarse cut sphagnum moss) and perlite. Then worm castings are mixed in to about 15% of the finished product. About 10% of the finished product is made up of some kind of organic compost, either green or brown. Any rich green manure will do, or bat/seabird guano or seaweed for that matter. The final 5% is made up of a mixture of about equal parts trace mineral elements, granulated charcoal, washed sand and volcanic ash. To this mix a specific dry fertilizer may be added, depending on if the soil will hold a plant in vegetative or flower cycle.

The mixture then needs to be moistened. The perfectly moistened mix will hold together as clumps when squeezed but will not release any more than a drop or two of water. As with many other aspects of life, practice makes perfect.

Organic manic

As for nutrients and supplements, there are many on the market. My preference is for the most natural and organic substance available. Many fertilizers are made from industrial chemical sources and do not, in my opinion, produce the highest quality. The more natural elements are by far preferred. These come from the more obvious natural sources such as worms, fish, bats, birds, plants and seaweed. Green manure, or rich?composted plant matter, is another excellent source of food for plants. As for where to find a reliable organic garden supply store, well, if the store clerk says anything to the affect of: "chemical or compost, it don't make no difference," then you are not in a reliable organic garden supply store. It is a large consumer market to be explored.

Some people choose to feed their plants by spraying a nutrient solution onto the plant and having it absorbed through the foliage. Though "foliar feeding" does work, I tend to avoid doing it due to the fact that the foliage is inevitably going to be smoked. There is no guarantee as to how much residue remains upon the foliage, or what exactly that residue may be, when it is finally consumed. Therefore, it is important, especially during the flowering stage, not to use the foliar feeding method on any part of the plant that is destined to be consumed. Foliar feeding during the vegetative stage on the larger shade leaves that will be discarded is a relatively safe practice.

Nutrient knowledge

The primary knowledge concerning fertilizer and nutrient (other than its source) are its N, P, and K levels. N stands for Nitrogen, P stands for Phosphorous and K stands for Potassium. These are the three main nutrients that plants need to thrive. Most fertilizers have a number consisting of three numbers such as: 30-10-10, or 5-37-15. These numbers represent the ratio of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium (in that order) in the product. That is 30 parts N (nitrogen)-10 parts P (phosphorous)-10 parts K (potassium) is what is in a 30-10-10 fertilizer. An additive I like to use with every fertilizing is a B-vitamin hormone supplement such as Super Thrive. This product helps the plant better metabolize its nutrient uptake, and most are organic.

High nitrogen, low phosphorous, low potassium fertilizers stimulate foliar and stem growth in the vegetative stage. In contrast, low nitrogen, high phosphorous, high potassium fertilizers promote lush flower, bud and fruit growth in the bud or flower cycle.

I like to end all nitrogen to the plant at least five to six weeks prior to harvest. And I like to end all additives to the plant two to three weeks prior to harvest. A B-vitamin hormone such as Super Thrive may be given up to the last week. But I highly recommend a pure water flush for at least the last two watering times.

Nematodes and tea

Teas made from bat/bird guano and/or worm castings and/or green manure are an excellent source of organic nutrient. These teas are simple to make and easy to use. Prepare a container with enough water for a full watering. Next, add the bat/bird guano, worm castings and/or green manure to the water. Finding the "perfect amount" to add will take some practice. The nutrient is allowed to sit and "steep" in the water releasing the nutrients' water soluble properties.

Another method is to use the full amount of nutrient in a smaller amount of water to create a concentrate. The concentrate is then added to the full amount of water for watering. The tea will color the water similar to the shade of the nutrient (usually brown, but sometimes green as with green manures). The steeping takes anywhere from one day to several days. The teas are considered fresh when made. It is important to use them immediately when they are ready, and to not allow them to stand too long and stagnate. The tea is applied the same way the water is during watering. This is the preferred method of adding organic nutrient during watering.

Another great additive for the organic garden are beneficial nematodes. These microscopic, living organisms are found at the more complete organic garden centers. Beneficial nematodes are cultivated and sold live, usually refrigerated. They must be kept refrigerated until they are ready to be used. They usually come in a sponge, or some other porous medium. It is only necessary to use a small portion each time as they will reproduce profusely if properly introduced into the soil.

A small portion of the nematode colony is simply introduced into the water, (tepid - not too hot, not too cold) with or without the organic fertilizer, and soaked into the soil. Once in the soil, the nematodes do their thing by multiplying and consuming the things detrimental to the plant, such as fungus, spores, insect larvae, mold, and bacteria, while leaving the plant to thrive. Ideally, beneficial nematodes may be added as often as desired, but once every month or two is sufficient.

These are the basics when it comes to growing medium, nutrient and additives. This information was gained via experimentation on advice given to me in the past. Now it is your turn.

Hydro Power

Hydroponic medium is any sterile medium that will hold some water, but allows water and air to pass through. Gravel, perlite, rockwool, volcanic pumice, rock corn and sand are some examples of hydroponic mediums.

Most hydroponic systems provide nutrients via the water that is passed over the rocks several times daily. These systems consist of a reservoir, a pump (or pumps), tubing to carry the fluid to the plants, the pots and medium that hold the roots of the plants, and some way for the water to flow, or be pumped, back into the reservoir. The water soluble nutrient is mixed with the water in the reservoir and delivered to the plants via the pump and tubing several times a day. Most systems also utilize a timer to automate this process. There are also ebb and flow, PVC pipe, wick and various other passive systems, but they are much less common.

Hydroponic systems are famous for producing the largest amount of foliage and fruit. The plant does not have to put as much energy into its roots and therefore has more energy for foliar and bud growth. Also, the roots are regularly aerated and thus have excellent oxygen exposure. However, The incessant regimen tends to produce more of a bland finished product.

The entrepreneurs in the hydroponic industry are striving for the most natural hydro system, and are experimenting with many new nutrient products to achieve this end. I have, however, yet to sample a hydroponic grown product that surpassed a soil grown product in overall quality and flavor.

The same can be said about indoor versus outdoor growth, as well. That is, when grown outdoors in the right environment the finished bud is usually superior to its identical twin grown indoors.

Oh and fuck hydro :wink:

--------------------

OfflineErickson
Resident
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #5161918 - 01/10/06 09:19 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

That's an awesome take of it from a buy that has grown a lot of bud.

--------------------
Fortune Favors The Bold.

Edited by Erickson (01/10/06 09:19 AM)

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

#5162469 - 01/10/06 12:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Great post :thumbup:

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
Oh and fuck hydro :wink:

:rotfl:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Erickson]
    #5162486 - 01/10/06 12:21 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

yeah that sounds like solid shit dude, could i tempt u to add some words and reccomended books and stuff like that for the 'submit article here' sticky topic?

as for 'fuck hydro', as i understand it from experianced growers in holland (who have all the best toys and treats) the hydro option
is only a real benifit in the logistical sense and only when growing alot of plants, like 100 or more.

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Invisiblekrishnamurti
Stranger
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #5162649 - 01/10/06 01:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

if your growing indoor organic, get some dolomite lime. its a soil additive that will help keep your pH in check, and pH is very important regarding your plants health.

--------------------
I'll see you down in Guantanamo Bay

Donate spores to FSRC or suffer the consequences!*

Wikipedia

Overgrow has been shut down :sad: check out www.icmag.com if you need MJ info

*consequences may or may not be suffered

Offlinelwo
Stranger
Loc: redland USA
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5163176 - 01/10/06 03:24 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Are wetlands a good place for the hemp plant?
On a delta, with some drainage, dry on the dry spells, but an area prone to flooding? Can hemp survive a flood? is hemp prone to root rot?
If so, how can I avoid it

--------------------
Weed Love When the cherry is bomb, get it on.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Kerr]
    #5165036 - 01/10/06 10:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Whats so funny, do you know something I dont?
probally not. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineBoglyn
Put them on theglass
 User Gallery

#5165220 - 01/10/06 10:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I buy fox farms soil and then add in a few micro nutrients to help it along. Good stuff.

--------------------
The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.
---Galileo

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Boglyn]
    #5165528 - 01/10/06 11:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Dood I know pro smokers that can't tell the difference between hydro and soil. Not worth the extra effort unless you are outdoors or have the means to move and remove all the soil. Hydro gives huge yields also and is quite easy once you get the hang of it.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Offlineprotected_son
Stranger
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? *DELETED* [Re: Fluxburn]
    #5166423 - 01/11/06 07:34 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by protected_son

Reason for deletion: chrome

--------------------
*~-READ-~*

The creator of this reply or this post takes no responsibility or liability for anything that happens as a result of, you, reading or trying anything on this page or anything contained in subsequent pages. By reading this. you are implying that you are in agreement with this disclaimer.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#5166700 - 01/11/06 09:50 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Dig a hole, and put in a few catfish heads and cover with loose soil. That is how river bottom bud is grown.

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

#5168608 - 01/11/06 06:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Haha laughing with ya :grin::sun:

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Kerr]
    #5236447 - 01/28/06 08:40 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"Hydroponic systems are famous for producing the largest amount of foliage and fruit. The plant does not have to put as much energy into its roots and therefore has more energy for foliar and bud growth. Also, the roots are regularly aerated and thus have excellent oxygen exposure. However, The incessant regimen tends to produce more of a bland finished product.

The entrepreneurs in the hydroponic industry are striving for the most natural hydro system, and are experimenting with many new nutrient products to achieve this end. I have, however, yet to sample a hydroponic grown product that surpassed a soil grown product in overall quality and flavor.

The same can be said about indoor versus outdoor growth, as well. That is, when grown outdoors in the right environment the finished bud is usually superior to its identical twin grown indoors."

Suck on deze nuts.

--------------------

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: krishnamurti]
    #5237199 - 01/29/06 12:25 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

krishnamurti said:
if your growing indoor organic, get some dolomite lime. its a soil additive that will help keep your pH in check, and pH is very important regarding your plants health.

this lime yo uspeak of, where would i find such a thing? could i bu it at a homedepot or target or something? or would i have to go to a specialty store? or have to order online?

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Anonymous

Re: Best soil for cannabis and why? [Re: Fraggin]
    #5238504 - 01/29/06 01:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fraggin said:
Dig a hole, and put in a few catfish heads and cover with loose soil. That is how river bottom bud is grown.

hahahahahaha

That's always how the old men around here told me to grow weed

"if you can pop em in your fingers, you can't plant em
see you just dig a hole and throw you some fishguts and a few seeds in it and then cover with soil loosely. We used to grow 15lbs a year like that"

ha

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds