Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government
    #5142108 - 01/05/06 02:15 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

New polls have put the Conservative party in the lead for the January 23rd election. Yikes.

OK.

So, now, 5 weeks after the election is called, the Liberals start to campaign. The Prime Minister has began attacking the Conservatives in earnest."You want a fundamental difference between Mr. Harper and myself? Well, this is it: I believe that social policy - the things we do to help each other out and help each other up - is a window on the kind of country we are, and the kind of country we want to be."

I hope everybody out there can grasp the significance of a Conservative victory. It would be akin to the Bush victories in America.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: carbonhoots]
    #5143553 - 01/05/06 03:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What is so severe about a minority conservative government? People believe to much in the scare tactics and 'boogeyman' policies.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #5144622 - 01/05/06 08:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Lets hope on January, 24th, George W. Bush calls Stephen Harper to congratulate him on winning.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: lonestar2004]
    #5144785 - 01/05/06 08:56 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

OMGDZl!!!

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #5144853 - 01/05/06 09:11 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

4 Reasons to NOT vote Liberal...

Just in case ya forgot...

1. The billion-dollar boondoggle: Human Resources Development Minister Jane Stewart was in the hot seat in 2000 when an internal audit found that Jean Chr?tien's Liberal government had failed to track employment program grants worth $1 billion to make sure the money was spent properly and the promised jobs were created. At one time, the RCMP had launched 12 separate investigations into HRDC files as a result of the audit; three of them related to grants awarded in the prime minister's riding of Saint-Maurice. Stewart faced grilling for months in the House of Commons, but managed to hold on to her job. She decided not to run again in the 2004 federal election, however.

2. Shawinigate: Questions over Prime Minister Jean Chr?tien's involvement in two properties in his riding began in 1993 and lingered until the day he left office in late 2003. Chr?tien sold his stake in the Auberge Grand-M?re resort just before becoming prime minister and sold his shares in the Grand-M?re Golf Course shortly after that. But he wasn't paid for the golf course shares until 1999.

The issue at the heart of the debate: When exactly did Chr?tien stop having an "interest" in the properties? Twice in 1996, he contacted Fran?ois Beaudoin, president of the federal Business Development Bank of Canada, about a $2-million loan being sought by Yvon Duhaime, the new owner of the Auberge Grand-M?re, to expand the hotel. The prime minister made another call to the BDC in 1997 about a scaled-back version of the loan. The federal ethics counsellor later ruled that Chr?tien had done nothing wrong, but the opposition parties loudly begged to differ.

3. The sponsorship scandal: It all began in the aftermath of the 1995 Quebec sovereignty referendum, which saw a super-slim majority of Quebecers voting to stay in Canada. But the sponsorship affair didn't really burst into the public consciousness until Feb. 10, 2004, when Auditor General Sheila Fraser released her long-anticipated audit of the federal sponsorship program.

Chr?tien had set up the secretive program to raise the profile of the federal government in his home province of Quebec, by paying community groups and other organizations to use the Canada flag logo on their promotional materials or fly the flag prominently at public events. The Liberal prime minister later said it was his "duty" to remind Quebecers of how much federalism had done for them. If that was its goal, in the end the $355-million program did more for the cause of Quebec separatism than any other factor in recent history.

Mr. Justice John Gomery, who headed a public inquiry into what went wrong, found that $150 million from its budget was paid to ad agencies in Quebec in the form of fees and commissions. In many cases, a hefty fee was paid merely for passing on a cheque from Ottawa. Most damning, Gomery also concluded in his November 2005 report that a kickback scheme existed, with ad executives expected to donate to the federal Liberal Party in Quebec in return for the government contracts they received. The commission chair said former Liberal public works minister Alphonso Gagliano must have known about the kickback scheme, and blamed Chr?tien and his chief of staff, Jean Pelletier, for failing to provide adequate supervision over the program.

Fury over the sponsorship scandal was seen as a major factor in the June 2004 federal election, which saw new Liberal Leader Paul Martin reduced to a minority government. When he took office in December 2003, just before Fraser's report, Martin had been riding high in the polls and was apparently unbeatable.

4. The income trust leak investigation: Time and the Jan. 23 general election results will tell whether this proves to be a true scandal or just a matter of lousy timing for the precariously ruling Liberals.

On Nov. 23, 2005, Finance Minister Ralph Goodale finally announced a decision on a hot financial topic he had been reviewing for more than two months: He said the Liberal government would not impose new taxes on income trusts and would lower the taxes on dividends paid by corporations.

With the Martin government facing defeat in the House of Commons within days, it was unlikely that Goodale would take the unpopular step of taxing income trusts, an attractive and fast-growing investment vehicle for Canadians. But the opposition quickly began to cry foul over an unusual bump in stock market activity in the hours before Goodale's suppertime announcement that November day. The NDP's finance critic, Judy Wasylycia-Leis, asked the RCMP to investigate whether Goodale's office had somehow leaked the information, allowing in-the-know market players to benefit.

On Dec. 28, Wasylycia-Leis's staff returned from a Christmas break to find a late gift: a fax from the RCMP confirming that the force would launch a criminal investigation into the allegations. As of this writing, Goodale has rejected all calls to resign while the probe takes place and Martin has expressed his staunch support, repeatedly calling his finance minister a man "of the greatest integrity."

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Rono]
    #5145091 - 01/05/06 10:15 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Don't forget the money pit of a gun registry.

Originally tabbed at a cost of $119 M with expected cash inflows of $117 M, effectively only costing tax payers $2 M, has ballooned to over $2 billion in costs.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Noetical]
    #5145239 - 01/05/06 10:48 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Last time the conservatives ruled Canada, they raised interest rates so high that it cost the Canadian economy $160,000,000,000 in lost output. Unemployment was near 12%.

The Conservatives would of put us in Iraq at a cost of billions to battle non-existant WMD.

The Conseratives want to hire 1000's of newe cops and put marijuana offenders in jail for US style mandatory minimums and try 14 year olds as adults.

All this prison costs too much money in lost output, destroyed families and useless imprisonment costs.

These scandles that have happened with the Liberals are 1000's of times less significant and costly than the Conservative's official policy.

Anyways, that's a great picture of Ol' Bushy and Ol' Harper.

Hope it remains a bad vision tht has no truth to it. We'll see in a couple weeks.

--------------------

OfflineErickson
Resident
    #5145287 - 01/05/06 11:03 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I've had enough of the liberals. Stephan Harper is one shady bastard though, well he can't be all that bad i guess... I seen a picture of him kissing a baby in the news, I mean, evil people don't have pictures of them kissing babies on the news do they? Last time NDP had provincial power here in B.C. they gave so many rights to the workers that employers didn't hire as many... I'm leaning green, but I believe conservatives will make gains in this province as well as in Ontario and I say all the power to them.

--------------------
Fortune Favors The Bold.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Erickson]
    #5145435 - 01/05/06 11:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Last time NDP had provincial power here in B.C. they gave so many rights to the workers that employers didn't hire as many...

True. Capital went on strike in BC once a social democratic government took power.

Worker rights are paramount if capitalism is ever going to be humanized.

Just look overseas, where people labour in sweat shops patrolled by armed guards. That's how low unfettered capitalism will go. To outright slavery conditions.

Electing Harper will just yeild more of the world to undemocratic capitalist demands.

The Green party is really having some troubles now, and, frankly I don't like their policy much. Too fiscally conservative, and the Sierra Club endorsed the NDP environmental policy over the Greens!

Whatever, Harper will kick the few remaining supports out from our fragile soveriegn democracy here in the north part of North America.

To me, the NDP is the only way to vote, unless you're in a Conservative/Liberal swing riding, then it makes sense to just vote against the Conservatives.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5145462 - 01/05/06 11:54 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Who is the most libertarian group out of the main ones?

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#5145728 - 01/06/06 01:26 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'm affiliated to no political party and think all of these guys are a bunch of jokers. There are portions of every parties platform that I like and portions of every parties platform that I disagree with.

Now to some of your points,

I'll make no apologies for that Conservative Government, they fucked up and they rightfully went. Just like this Liberal government fucked up and has to go.

Canada spends about $12 billion on its Military (grossly underfunded and the equipment is dangerous for our peacekeepers). Even if Canada went to Iraq (something I'm glad didn't happen) there wouldn't have been billions thrown at our military, we would of played the same role we played in Afghanistan when we hitched a ride over there. I also dought that would have passed in a minority Conservative Government anyways.

With all the violence in Toronto and other Canadian major centres right now I'd say we do need those extra 1,000 police, which would be way more effective then a money pit of handgun registry.I whole heartedly agree with an increase in the mandatory sentencing for serious gun offences and an elimination of the so called 'revolving door' bail for such offences.

I don't agree with their drug platform because I believe no one has a right to tell anyone else what they can do with their bodies. That being said the mandatory sentences are for major trafficking of Cocaine, Heroin, and Crystal Meth. Marijuanna becomes an issue only at 3kg and they won't go forward with decriminalization.

Ideally I'm hoping for a Conservative minority but we will likely see a smaller Liberal Minority. Hopefully all the parties can work together to create a better Canada.

Random thoughts:

I think if Quebec wants to be soverign we should let them and we should not impede with their right for self determination.

Carbon, are there any Conservative policies that you see as beneficial to Canada?

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Redstorm]
    #5145744 - 01/06/06 01:34 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Big Red,

We do actually have a Libertarian Party but they are a nothing party at the moment. Hopefullt they can gain some momentum in the coming years and be a viable choice.

Of the major parties I think the Green's would be the most Libertarian but they only represent about 6-7% in the polls. So by default I think it is the Liberals who have become very Fiscally Conservative under Martin's tenure as Minsiter of Finance and they limit their legislation of morality. That being said they have a huge government and such incidents as outlined above have been huge bureacratic money pits.

I really had high hopes for Martin but he has been an utter failure.

OfflineErickson
Resident
    #5146068 - 01/06/06 08:37 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know about all these scare tactics... Stephan Harper seems like a weasel, true, but I believe no matter how he seems he'll make a fine prime minister. That's just me though.
Paul Martin has done a lot for our nations economy while being the finance minister and the leader of our country but very little is done by the national government for the provinces of B.C. and Alberta. I'm hoping for some more even representation out of the conservative party that will be taking the majority of seets out of these two provinces. The NDP, I believe they would do a lot to unify our country, my vote could go to them.

--------------------
Fortune Favors The Bold.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government *DELETED* [Re: Erickson]
    #5147322 - 01/06/06 02:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Noetical

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #5187215 - 01/16/06 01:57 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'm definitely voting NDP myself :cool:

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: deff]
    #5187937 - 01/16/06 05:10 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

deff said:
I'm definitely voting NDP myself :cool:

Me too.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibletrendalM
Jâ™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: barfightlard]
    #5187950 - 01/16/06 05:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Me three. For the second time around :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: trendal]
    #5188664 - 01/16/06 08:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Me four?

InvisibletrendalM
Jâ™ 
Male User Gallery

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Darcho]
    #5188881 - 01/16/06 08:52 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well shit, maybe if we were all in the same riding we'd have a chance of getting one of the NDP guys in :smirk:

Oh well. No way I'm voting for the conservatives, and Martin's too much of an ass to get my vote. I would vote green...but I'd like to see the NDP get a few more seats this time around to balance things out.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#5189069 - 01/16/06 09:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Less Liberals, more NDP and a Conservative minority will make me a happy guy.

Hopefully we'll end up with more MP's whose main concern is Canada and not their political career.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #5190122 - 01/17/06 05:17 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

resistance is futile, assimilate or be destroyed. :crazy:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #5195341 - 01/18/06 03:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Martin, Harper and Layton are flying on the Executive Airbus to a
gathering in British Columbia when Martin turns to Harper and says,
chuckling, "You know, I could throw a $1000 bill out the window right
now and make someone very happy." Harper shrugs and replies, "Well, I
could throw ten $100 bills out the window and make ten people happy."
Not to be outdone, Layton says, "Well I could throw a hundred $10 bills
out the window and make a hundred people happy."

The pilot rolls his eyes and says to his co-pilot, "Such arrogant asses
back there. Hell, I could throw all three of them out the window and make 32
million people happy."

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Shdwstr]
    #5195381 - 01/18/06 03:22 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:

That made my day, great joke!

InvisibletrendalM
Jâ™ 
Male User Gallery

#5195492 - 01/18/06 04:02 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

:lol: Brilliant!!!

--------------------

OfflineErickson
Resident
    #5196887 - 01/18/06 09:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'd be a lot happier if Belinda Stronach went with them!!! Awesome joke man!

--------------------
Fortune Favors The Bold.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #5201779 - 01/20/06 06:18 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

lol, thats good :thumbup:

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Innvertigo]
    #5205294 - 01/21/06 01:37 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, Canada -- you're not really going to elect a Conservative majority on Monday, are you?

Friday, January 20th, 2006
Michael Moore Statement on Canadian Election

Michael Moore is currently in production on his next movie. As an avid lover of all things Canadian, he has issued the following statement regarding Canada's upcoming election on Monday:

Oh, Canada -- you're not really going to elect a Conservative majority on Monday, are you? That's a joke, right? I know you have a great sense of humor, and certainly a well-developed sense of irony, but this is no longer funny. Maybe it's a new form of Canadian irony -- reverse irony! OK, now I get it. First, you have the courage to stand against the war in Iraq -- and then you elect a prime minister who's for it. You declare gay people have equal rights -- and then you elect a man who says they don't. You give your native peoples their own autonomy and their own territory -- and then you vote for a man who wants to cut aid to these poorest of your citizens. Wow, that is intense! Only Canadians could pull off a hat trick of humor like that. My hat's off to you.

Far be it from me, as an American, to suggest what you should do. You already have too many Americans telling you what to do. Well, actually, you've got just one American who keeps telling you to roll over and fetch and sit. I hope you don't feel this appeal of mine is too intrusive but I just couldn't sit by, as your friend, and say nothing. Yes, I agree, the Liberals have some 'splainin' to do. And yes, one party in power for more than a decade gets a little... long. But you have a parliamentary system (I'll bet you didn't know that -- see, that's why you need Americans telling you things!). There are ways at the polls to have your voices heard other than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

These are no ordinary times, and as you go to the polls on Monday, you do so while a man running the nation to the south of you is hoping you can lend him a hand by picking Stephen Harper because he's a man who shares his world view. Do you want to help George Bush by turning Canada into his latest conquest? Is that how you want millions of us down here to see you from now on? The next notch in the cowboy belt? C'mon, where's your Canadian pride? I mean, if you're going to reduce Canada to a cheap download of Bush & Co., then at least don't surrender so easily. Can't you wait until he threatens to bomb Regina? Make him work for it, for Pete's sake.

But seriously, I know you're not going to elect a guy who should really be running for governor of Utah. Whew! I knew it! You almost had me there. Very funny. Don't do that again. God, I love you, you crazy cold wonderful neighbors to my north. Don't ever change.

Michael Moore

(Mr. Moore is not available for interviews because he now needs to address the situation in Azerbaijan. But he could be talked into it for a couple of tickets to a Leaf's game.)

--------------------

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

#5205478 - 01/21/06 02:45 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

The worst possible thing that could happen on Monday... is if the Conservatives do win.

Do people not remember the past Conservative Governments in Canada.
Here's just a few highlights.

They did lower personal income tax slightly... and the ones who benefited the most, were the wealthy who had to pay MUCH less. Not the average person.
They introduced the GST which effectively pulled more tax out of everyone, especially those of lower incomes. Who didn't get the tax breaks of the wealthy.
Canada was deep in debt causing interest rates to skyrocket... remember double digit mortgage rate interests... I do... mine was at 19 3/4%. And that was at a Bank!!!
Hundreds of businesses closed their doors, throwing thousands of people out of work! Why did they close? .... They moved their plants to the U.S. because the US offered them large tax breaks and incentives. So... unemployment in Canada rose horrifically.

And this was with a more centered Conservative Government. I can't begin to imagine the chaos this Far right, fanatic, conservative group will create.

This Coming Monday could go down in Canadian History as "Black Monday" the day we screwed ourselves, our families and our children, by electing the Conservatives. Don't let it happen.
We could all be singing "I don't like Mondays" as our National Anthem at the hockey games that no one will be able to afford to go see!

Good luck to us all... We may need it!!!  :rolleyes:

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #5206055 - 01/21/06 10:30 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shdwstr said:
They did lower personal income tax slightly... and the ones who benefited the most, were the wealthy who had to pay MUCH less. Not the average person.

Pretty standard conservatism. Do whatever possible to help the wealthy.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#5206151 - 01/21/06 11:24 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I have yet to see any of these boogeyman policies in the Conservative agenda.

Black Monday? Come on people the sun will still rise on Tuesday when we have a Conservative minority government and we will be just fine.

Do you see any beneficial policies on the Conservative platform?

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

#5206199 - 01/21/06 11:56 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I have yet to see any of these boogeyman policies in the Conservative agenda.

Really?

I didn't like plan to cancel hte low income tax cut the Liberals just brought in. 15% raised to 16%? While canceling capital gains taxes. What the fuck is with that?

Or the revamping of the young offenders act and criminal code to make it legal to try 14 year olds as adults and provide for mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent drug offences. The prisons required to hold all the druggies in Canada will cost billions.

Harper and his baffoon party have long been against medicare, public pensions, ei, etc. Although it's not exactly in their platform, what left of our social programs are in jeporady.

--------------------

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

#5206229 - 01/21/06 12:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Like everything else politicians say during an election... what makes you think any of it is true.
When Ontario voted in a Conservative Premire, he broke EVERY single campain promise he made.
What makes you think a Federal Conservative leader would do any thing else.
The only promises you can trust him to keep, are the ones that will...

Paint a bullseye on Canada, for entering into Bush's "War on Terror" and bringing in US missile defence onto our shores.
Ruining our economy, by sending more natural resources, jobs and money to the U.S.
Take away our freedoms as Canadians by bending over and taking it up the ass by US imposed laws that should have no juristiction over Canadians.
Imprison more Canadians under laws of US design such as the draconian efforts of the useless and failed "War on Drugs"
The Conservative slogan "Stand up for Canada" is the biggest joke and lie I've ever seen any party use. It should read "Stand up and give Canada to the U.S." cause that is what they will do!

If your Canadian, you should Stand up for Canada!!! By voting anything other than Conservative.

Yes, the sun will rise again on Tuesday if we end up with the Conservatives in Power.
But... In a few years, we will all be saying... When will we ever learn?  :mad:

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#5206426 - 01/21/06 01:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'm glad you guys could respond. Harper is not Bush, nowhere close. The Canadian Conservative party is a slightly right of centre party that is more left than The Democrats. I will ask this again, are there any aspects of the Conservative platform that either you agree with?

Carbon,

I did not like the cancelling of that tax cut and would have liked to see it stay. That being said a GST cut to an eventual 5% will be of more benefit to low income earners who don't pay taxes and those earners in the lowest tax bracket (and will also make home ownership much more affordable). Both will have more money in their pocket at the end of the day. The personal income tax cuts proposed by the Liberals are the ones that would benefit the single $65,000 a year individual.

And really the difference between the two tax plans comes down to a little over one hundred dollars either way in various situations and that is taking into account a 6% gst and not a 5% gst.

Adult sentencing for 14 year olds is only for violent and serious repeat offenders. The mandatory drug sentencing is targeted at large drug offenders (ie: large scale grow-ops and crystal meth producers). You aint doing time for snorting an 8 ball or smoking an eighth. All parties are supporting mandatory sentencing for violent gun related crimes. There will be no overflowing of the prison system and billions being pumped into it, that is just pure hyperbole.

?There will be no private, parallel system,? Mr. Harper said. ?We can, and will, achieve better results for patients and maintain the essentials of our system of public health insurance while maintaining our universal public health care system.?

The Conservative platform has also confirmed its commitment and protection to the CPP and GIS.

Shdwstr,

Like everything else politicians say during an election... what makes you think any of it is true

I totally agree with you and have to look no further thatn the Federal Liberals current track record as a prime example.

I don't think we are heading anywhere internationally unless as peacekeepers, a minority government will ensure that. I hope to god that whoever is in power does not let Marc Emery get extradited and compromise our soverienty.

I have been extremely disapointed with this governments lack of transparency and accountability and will not give them another mandate. It is to bad that Paul Martin has been such a dud and had to clean up all of Chreatien's mess that he left as his legacy.

I see aspects of all parties platforms that I both agree and disagree with. I am hoping for a minority government that offers Canada more Statesmen than politicians.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #5206464 - 01/21/06 01:39 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

"I don't give a damn that the Liberals are more corrupt than any three American administrations added together, at least they are not Conservative!"

Typical Canadian thinking.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

#5206718 - 01/21/06 02:37 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

noeticbuzz said:
The Canadian Conservative party is a slightly right of centre party that is more left than The Democrats.

Your kidding Right?
They are as extremist as you can get in Canada!

Quote:

noeticbuzz said:
I will ask this again, are there any aspects of the Conservative platform that either you agree with?

Not that I believe they would uphold without hurting us overall. Harper is a fanatic, with no concept of reality or of what the Canadian people want or need.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#5207640 - 01/21/06 07:37 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

They are as extremist as you can get in Canada

Yeah, key qualifier in Canada. They are still more Liberal than The Democrats.

Harper is a fanatic, with no concept of reality or of what the Canadian people want or need

The word fanatic should be reserved for names like Duvalier or Pol Pot not Harper, he isn't going to usher in the fourth reich. It would also seem reasonable that what the Canadian people want or need is being accurately reflected in the polls, wouldn't it?

I'm going to agree with Phred here, there is a real nasty stigma associated with the word Conservative in Canada. I think alot of you have bought into Martin's campaign of fear.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#5207648 - 01/21/06 07:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Not that I believe they would uphold without hurting us overall

Free votes in parliment and an elected senate would somehow undermine the Canadian way of life?

Whatever the outcome on Monday Liberal or Conservative here is to a parliment with more Statesmen and less politicians.

OfflineErickson
Resident
    #5212121 - 01/22/06 09:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I personally would have lower income tax, even a little over lower GST because income tax is paid by only canadians but GST is the only way to tax the tourists and it's better to take there money than our own.

--------------------
Fortune Favors The Bold.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government *DELETED* [Re: Erickson]
    #5212749 - 01/23/06 12:56 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by carbonhoots

Reason for deletion: picture won't show up. it does in the preview, not the post

--------------------

Edited by carbonhoots (01/23/06 01:04 AM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5212758 - 01/23/06 12:59 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: CANADA: Severe risk of Conservative government [Re: Silversoul]
    #5212922 - 01/23/06 01:50 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup: :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds