Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesoozler
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Preparing for an ego-loss experience. *DELETED*
    #5134068 - 01/03/06 04:14 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by soozler

Reason for deletion: Privacy

Edited by soozler (01/03/06 06:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLifeIsSweet
Stranger
Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. [Re: soozler]
    #5134075 - 01/03/06 04:28 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It comes back

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5134094 - 01/03/06 04:52 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

According to Timothy Leary, even slight practice with meditation will allow a person to allow their ego die willingly.

Is there anything else I should do? And more importantly as there any advice/experience anyone can give me regarding any part of the ego-death experience?

Sometimes, I think that I might be in over my head with this stuff. I will obtain buddahood through the use of psychedelics! Regardless of how terrifying the experience is: I would be passing up on the opportunity of an eternity.

Do not confuse a "level 5 trip" with "egoloss"... the two are very different. A level 5 trip is pretty useless from a spirtual standpoint... the idea isn't to get so messed up that you cannot function, but rather to use the drug to get you into the proper mindset so that you can loose yourself.

The harder you try, the more it will evade you. The trick is to set the stage, sit back, and let it happen. When you forget to try is when it will finally hit you.

My technique is pretty simple, and works for me. I dose to a nice level three where I get lots of visuals, but I don't start to fracture mentally. I find a nice, clean, comfortable place that is dim and quiet. While sitting, I look for the patterns that are moving around in the carpet, on the wall, or where ever I am looking. I start to focus in on the patterns, exploring the fractal nature of the patterns within the patterns, allowing the flow of the patterns to encompass my every thought...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#5134118 - 01/03/06 05:21 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

meditation will help a lot. reading leary and stuff will help but its not necessary. all you need really is your mind and a nice quiet spot to trip. some trips will just start flying straight towards ego death phenomena, others won't go anywhere near it. you just have to be ready, and when it comes, you let go and it happens.

don't try and force it. just feel the flow and enjoy the trip. you will be taken away from your ego sooner or later.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. [Re: alsey]
    #5134156 - 01/03/06 06:10 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

the point to begin with and to end in is
that you are already enlightened:
i.e. the light is within.
just be good, get used to observing without attachment (meditation)
nothing phoney helps.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#5134181 - 01/03/06 06:41 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

how long does ego-loss last? can it happen without psychedelics or meditation?

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. [Re: raytrace]
    #5134247 - 01/03/06 08:19 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

it can last less than a second, or a lot longer. i've heard of people being in egoless states for more than an hour but i think that's pretty rare. but once you're in that state, time in the normal sense is completely meaningless.

it can happen without psychedelics, but i'm pretty sure some form of mental practice is required. i think one has to be a very proficient meditator to achieve this state without drugs. it also happens when you die.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5134303 - 01/03/06 09:03 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Hello and welcome. I can tell that you are well prepared for this experience. I think that you will do well. Going it alone and in a strange unknown wilderness place (especially at night) is a powerful experience, (one has few anchors for the ego to grasp on to, such as a sitter or familiar surroundings.) I would like to go into more detail but I'm off to work.  Maybe I will post more on this when I return as this is about my favorite subject here and I so appreciate those few who take it seriously. I think at the right time and place it can facilitate  personal evolution to a very fast track. Once again welcome to the Shroomery and I look forward to more of your posts. :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. [Re: alsey]
    #5134333 - 01/03/06 09:26 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

The Ego loss experience is the suspension of reflexive response (ego) complexes, which includes the reflexive masking of sensation (input), masking of memory (processing), and masking of expression (personality). One may experience from a floating or comfortable suspension integration and oneness, to a bewildered but quiet alienation; one may alternatively experience utter fear as all that was familiar is gone.

this suspension can certainly be attained temporarily in yoga and meditation, as part of jhanas or absorption. (By concentration and/or repetition of a focussing mental sequence, a mental standing wave supports suspension from other habituated mental activity.)

this suspension of reflex mentation also can occur temporarily with psychedellics or even alcohol, as part of inebriation. (the experience is better with the less poisonous psychedellics (IMO) since you can more easily stay conscious during the detatched state)

Note: suspension of this group of reflexes (temporary "ego-loss") is not guaranteed by either route; meditation and medication are merely fascillitators, and the degree of suspension is only relatively astonishing as opposed to total. Until unconsciousness, some reflex is present, but it may be a reflex that continues to suspend, which is like jhana as when concentration becomes automatic or a looped reflex.

Suspension (floating with ego-loss) is not the goal or is not achieved by direct approach (trying to float), it is not given or certain that it will be experienced every time with exactly the same reproduced efforts; it is more like the result of a flipped coin.

in neither case, drugs or meditation, does it mean the person is enlightened, temporarily or permanently, though it is a liberating experience to be unshackled by these reflexes.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Fare Thee Well.
Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. [Re: Seuss]
    #5134350 - 01/03/06 09:38 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

Do not confuse a "level 5 trip" with "egoloss"... the two are very different.  A  level 5 trip is pretty useless from a spirtual standpoint... the idea isn't to get so messed up that you cannot function, but rather to use the drug to get you into the proper mindset so that you can loose yourself.

These are wise words, I hope you try this soozler. There is nothing else to say except, "exactly!" :biggrin:

Offlinesoozler
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. *DELETED* [Re: raytrace]
    #5135877 - 01/03/06 05:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by soozler

Reason for deletion: privacy

Edited by soozler (01/03/06 05:45 PM)

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
    #5136066 - 01/03/06 06:49 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Oh the American dream :smile:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5136387 - 01/03/06 08:02 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

If you are delving into you depths for the first time a sitter can be very beneficial. Maybe always. I'm not an expert. I found that my solo experiences have been the most powerful in many ways. I do have a shamanic friend that I do trip with though. Or voyages together have an awesome quality.

As far as being incapacitated, that depends on lots of things. Learning is always a risk. Risk is one thing that makes it powerful.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinesoozler
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. *DELETED* [Re: Icelander]
    #5136417 - 01/03/06 08:11 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by soozler

Reason for deletion: Privacy

Offlinesoozler
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5136650 - 01/03/06 09:25 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I just realized that I will never experience the ultimate know. as there will be no "I" when my ego dies. This is mind boggeling. It would make sense if the ego doesn't die, it just turns itself off or no longer interfeers with pure thought.

Crazy.

Edited by soozler (01/03/06 09:26 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #5136686 - 01/03/06 09:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

One cannot prepare for something that does not happen. The so called ego-loss of psychedelics is an illusion. One merely becomes aware of the ego....it is still there.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
    #5136687 - 01/03/06 09:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

it just turns itself off or no longer interfeers with pure thought.

I think that you would be hard-pressed to find an Ego that would willingly do either of these! :grin:

Hence the "terrifying" aspect in you original post. 

You're right...it is mind-boggling stuff!

I've always heard here "don't expect anything".  I've come to find that that is really good advice!

Let it flow.....

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. [Re: VirgilKane]
    #5136712 - 01/03/06 09:42 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

enlightement has it's price

if you only lost half of your ego

than waht did you gain?

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: Preparing for an ego-loss experience. [Re: Schwammel]
    #5136722 - 01/03/06 09:47 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

everybody assumes they gain something by doing something

it doesn't work taht way...

truth be told if you actually gained anything

you wouldn't be asking what!

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#5137678 - 01/04/06 04:17 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

what is the difference between enlightment and ego-loss?
while in an egoless state, do you not feel your skin?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder