Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Typingwords]
    #677582 - 06/14/02 02:35 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Typingwords, I completely agree with you but you must understand that that type of reasoning doesnt work with swami. If what you say is slightly disputeable, and almost whatever you say will be, then he will point out your flawed arguement. It's good to be skeptical though, but it's also important to be able to have firendly conversations (obviously not to Swami though).

So Typingwords, which books have you read by K.?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #677653 - 06/14/02 04:01 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Swami, don't you agree that if everyone read his books and fully understood them and they applied his teachings to real life, then there would be heaven on earth?

I would agree, but then the same could be said about many books. How many Christians truly practice the teachings of Christ, or Muslims, the teachings of Mohammed? There is a huge gap between entertainment, intellectual stimulation and actually living the word.

I would like to hear specifically how application of his teachings has significantly changed your life.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineTypingwords
Veteran Seasonal PNW Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: seattle-ish area, WA
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Swami]
    #677803 - 06/14/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I guess you're right, but krishnamurti's ideas seem to ring true more than all that other bullshit, and I think most people are able to recognize the truth in what he says, which makes it easier for them to live out the teachings.

As for how his ideas have specifically changed my life, well, I can't say that they have...yet. That is why I keep reading it so often, trying to pound the ideas into my head and shed my mind's lousy conditioned habits. However, I am slowly but surely feeling a change in my thought process. Basically my mind is becoming more attentive to everything.

And to Buddha1, I am currently reading "Think on these Things", "Commentaries on Living third series", and a biography type book called "Krishnamurti: 100 years"

--------------------
everything everyone everywhere.
forever and ever

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
    #678167 - 06/14/02 09:33 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Krishnamurti has helped me understand my emotions and my thought process better. Recently I broke up with my girlfriend of over a year and a half. We were living together and were very close. If I had never read any Krishnamurti, I would have been very depressed and in a terrible state of self pity. I would have analyzed the situation again and again, I know I would have done this because I have acted this way in similar past events. Because of reading K. I have realized that she is not my life, and that the attachment I developed towards her was self destructive. I was a little depressed for a week, but that was mostly due to confusion and complicated events that I'm not going to get into. I realized that by dwelling in these memories of the past I was making my life much harder than it needed to be. I enjoy myself more now, on a daily basis, and I appreciate nature and beauty more since reading K. I have always been calm and laid back, but I have even more control over my emotions now. Keep in mind I'm far from being 'enlightened' but I'm probably on the right path.

Typingwords, I just finished 'The second penguin Krishnamurti reader' and I own 'total freedom' but I havn't started reading it yet. I was going to buy a Krishnamurti book for a close friend of mine but I'm not sure which would be the best for a first time K. reader. I was thinking either 'Think on these Things', because it looked pretty straightforward, or 'The second penguin Krishnamurti reader' because I've read it and I enjoyed it. Which would you recomend?

OfflineTypingwords
Veteran Seasonal PNW Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: seattle-ish area, WA
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Buddha1]
    #681144 - 06/15/02 10:23 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, i've never read that penguin one, but it sounds pretty cool just by the name! But I did just give "Think on these Things" to a friend and she really liked it. And it's the first Krishnamurti thing I ever read and it totally blew my mind right away. I love the straightforwardness. He just tells it like it is. And you're left with your jaw hanging.

--------------------
everything everyone everywhere.
forever and ever

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
    #685057 - 06/18/02 01:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

the penguin one is two books in one. 'The Only Revolution' and "The Urgency for Change'. They were both very good. I think I'll chech out 'Think on These Things' next. I know what you mean about it blowing your mind away. It seems so odd that Krishnamurti isn't a household name, but it probably ill be in a hundred years or so.

To anyone reading this who has yet to read any Krishnamurti:
Check it out. He doesn't tell you how to live or what to do, he simply explains the world we live in and how it conditions our mind. It's not hard to read, or boring, so if you have any urge for a 'higher knowledge' check it out.

OfflineHunabKu
Stranger
    #685110 - 06/18/02 03:27 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Typingwords: It always takes two.

Buddha said: "A few months ago, before I had read any Krishnamurti, I would have argued and defended my points. But that wont solve anything, we would both be wasting energy."

Hey man, a few months ago, before I realized, I would have read Krishnamurti. Put that in your hand and clap it.

Edited by HunabKu (06/18/02 06:16 AM)

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: HunabKu]
    #685845 - 06/18/02 09:44 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

HunabKu, before you realized what?

I never said I was perfect or enlightened or right. I make mistakes, and often, I'm still young, but I make many less mistakes since reading Krishnamurti. Dont judge me by my posts, and don't judge Krishnamurti by my posts, I dont put a lot of thought or time into my posts. They're full of mistakes and contridictions (not to mention spelling errors).

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#685917 - 06/18/02 10:08 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Awareness, which is meditation-in-action, should be reflected in the smallest things that you do; even typing out a post. Sloppiness and laziness have no place in a Master's (or potential Master's) daily practice.

--------------------

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Swami]
    #686396 - 06/18/02 02:31 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

True Swami, but right now the internet and message boards arn't a priority for me. I don't need to prove myself to anyone, I post for fun and for interesting discussions. Originally I didn't write much about Krishnamurti or his ideas in this forum and others because I have only been reading K. for a few months. By no means do I feel comfortable or capable representing his concepts and his teachings. I did not post about them because I didn't want to distort the message. But it seems as though people need some incentive to read, so I took a stab at posting. I realize now that I should have made my standpoint clearer. I wasn't trying to give rock solid arguements, I was just trying to convey my thoughts and feelings K.'s work to inspire people to read his books. I wasn't expecting David Hume to respond.

Then, after your post, I realized that what I said was being turned into an arguement, a debate about his ideas. I wasn't looking for a debate, I was merely trying to spread awareness of Krishnamurti's work. I am very grateful to the people who first introduced me to K's work, so I decided to pass the favor on, because I'm sure that there are many like me who have never heard of K.

But I realized I had made some ignorant remarks so I tried to clear thing up, by explaining how I came to a false conclusion. But once again I was unsuccessful and made minor mistakes. I was too caught up in trying to convey an idea that I did not realize how my statements could be misinterpreted, and I also made many assumtions that I should not have made. But I am learning, so thank you Swami for your skeptical insight and your beautiful execution of the 'Descartes method of doubt/inquiry'.

By the way, Krishnamurti is also a skeptic (not directed at Swami because I'm sure he allready knows). K. on awareness:

"Let us begin as though we know nothing about it at all and start from scratch. Let us not make any assertions, dogmatic or subtle, but let us explore this question which, if one really went into it very deeply, would reveal an extraordinary state that the mind has probably never touched by superficial awareness. Let us start from the superficial and work through."
-J. Krishnamurti, The Urgency of Change, The Second Penguin Krishnamurti Reader.

Edited by Buddha1 (06/18/02 02:32 PM)

OfflineHunabKu
Stranger
    #686474 - 06/18/02 03:29 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Buddha1, I realized, period. When I'm posting I can only be groggy. But if I'm not posting, I'm awake. Think about those metaphors. If you look a little into the Tao, you'll see that anyone who espouses in books isn't important. The mountain isn't a result of the path. The light isn't a result of your eyes. Just remember that your "enlightenment" isn't a result of Krish or anybody else. It's a matter of realization.

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: HunabKu]
    #686504 - 06/18/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

Just remember that your "enlightenment" isn't a result of Krish or anybody else. It's a matter of realization.

Well said. Krishnamurti is helping me come to this realization. He is helping me explore what this means, and his books have a potential to help many others come to this realization. If it had not been for others promoting Krishnamurti's work, I may have never contemplated this realization. I am very glad that people have taken the time to promote his work, and I decided to do the same. I know that no one but myself can free my mind, but K. helps me understand why my mind is not free. He helps me see reality clearer and understand what seeing reality clearly is. And this "realization" or "enlightenment" is seeing reality clearly.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #686577 - 06/18/02 04:31 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

To you guys who are really into krishnamurti right now:

If I may make a suggestion, don't get too caught up in what he is saying. If you use his books as a crutch you will never become "totally free". One Krishnamurti reader suggested that you should throw away the book after you read it. I have to say that is a bit silly but the point does come across right?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Krishnamurti [Re: chodamunky]
    #686857 - 06/18/02 06:51 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Of course. "If you find the buddah on the road, kill him." Look at where the finger is pointing to, not at the finger

Krishnamurti is a magnificent intellect telling you to use the intellect to go beyond the intellect. Don't get caught in the trap along that way that is easy to fall into. If you REALLY want people to get into Krishnmurti, interest them, not by your admiration of the man or his words, but by the NEW state of clarity that you have entered into.

Think on These Things.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (06/19/02 01:33 AM)

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: chodamunky]
    #687234 - 06/19/02 12:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

If I may make a suggestion, don't get too caught up in what he is saying. If you use his books as a crutch you will never become "totally free". One Krishnamurti reader suggested that you should throw away the book after you read it.

I dont throw away the book when I'm done, I give it away, and I tell whoever I give it to to give it away when they are done.

In reply to:

If you REALLY want people to get into Krishnmurti, interest them, not by your admiration of the man or his words, but by the NEW state of clarity that you have entered into.

I am not saying that I admire him or his words. I understand much of what he says. His teachings have helped me see clearer. Any Krishnamurti reader should know not to idolize or follow anyone, I am no exception. But like I said earlier, I have a long way to go.

I dont worship Krishnamurti or praise him or follow him. I listen to what he says. He is a being like any other, but he can see much clearer than most. It is not Krishnamurti that is great and that helps me, it is what he says.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder