Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools
    #5121904 - 12/30/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Children in Washington State are being given 'Patriotism tests' which are completely unrelated to their studies. The paper gauges whether or not the student shows fealty to the power of the state and whether the student believes in the right to overthrow a corrupt government.

A reader from Washington State writes us to highlight a questionnaire paper handed out to her daughter and the rest of her 10th grade class.

The reader comments,

"We live in Washington state. My daughter is in 10th grade and found this to be interesting. She has a GPA of 3.75 and uses her brain. This was given in her English class, and has nothing to do with the materials they were studying. We thought you might be able to use this. They are grooming our kids. Keep up the great work. Christine."

Considering the fact that this paper is a complete one off in that it is not part of any standard curriculum, we must question the motivations behind it.

Is the paper a means of gauging the level of obedience to the state amongst American teenagers?

We have covered several examples before where the government identifies a target group in society and canvasses their views on the nature of power and when that power goes too far. For example, in the 90's, American marines and national guard were occasionally asked if they would be willing to fire on American citizens in a time of crisis.

We are by no means against patriotism when it means love of country. Unfortunately however, the new brand of so-called patriotism translates as worship of government, and that definition is something that the founding fathers never intended.

link,
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/december2005/301205patriotismtests.htm

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJuliaDream
Stranger

Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: MAIA]
    #5121927 - 12/30/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

That looks like bad news to me. It seems as though the government is trying to see which students are 'sheep' that follow rules blindly, and which are not. I think it might be the start of something terrible. I mean, what if they had certain answers red flagged, and students were put on watch lists because of their opinions? That's definitely not cool!

--------------------
“We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.”

Jack Handy

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: MAIA]
    #5122029 - 12/30/05 11:13 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

oh now come on.

you'd think from reading this that this questionnaire is some sort of statewide initiative in washington, part of some conspiracy to identify and red flag possible dissidents while they're young.

reasons that this is another bogus nutcase conspiracy theory:

1. there is nothing to indicate that this questionnaire is being filled out by students in the entire state, an entire school district, or even an entire high school.

2. the test is not mandatory.

3. it is not in an electronically-readable format, as would be required to compile a massive secret database. there is nothing to indicate, and no reason to suspect, that the answers are recorded in any format at all.

this is a questionaire about political ideas and philosophy. it looks like something a history teacher might write up to get his or her students thinking. not a big deal. at all. i commend the teacher who distributed this. it probably got his or her students thinking about things they'd never thought of before.

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #5122115 - 12/30/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Someone at that school is trying to get a profile of the students attitudes. Presumably because they are trying to come up with an indoctrination strategy of some kind.

Or maybe it's the military trying to put together a new recruitment program.

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5122352 - 12/30/05 12:22 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Way to make something out of nothing.

Also, you mislead the readers of this thread by saying it is a "test". I see no grade on the paper, and on the top it says it is an opinionnaire. There is also no statement that this survey is even any more than something one teacher printed out and had their class fill out.

:shake:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: Redstorm]
    #5123848 - 12/30/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

First clue to the bullshit nature of this.....Said fascist state is Washington. Washington for fucks sake. It's like a giant San Francisco. Sheesh. Try harder

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: Redstorm]
    #5123850 - 12/30/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think the letters beside the question are the grades, the penmanship is different if you look.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinelwm
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: barfightlard]
    #5123873 - 12/30/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

We've got to weed out those damn liberals somehow. Shit if things keep going the way they are you'll have people getting on national TV advocating 40 hour work weeks, universal health care, community hospitals, women and minority rights ect. We'll all go straight to hell and the devil will have his way with our tender, luscious asses.
If we don't dig up Hitler RIGHT NOW and sic him on the world we're all all DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: lwm]
    #5123909 - 12/30/05 06:34 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The letters are the correct answer "A"gree "D"isagree

I wish i had shit like this when i was in school :laugh:

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5123945 - 12/30/05 06:56 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
First clue to the bullshit nature of this.....Said fascist state is Washington. Washington for fucks sake. It's like a giant San Francisco. Sheesh. Try harder

I noticed that. Those must be the desired answers, but I still do not see a grade on the paper.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #5123950 - 12/30/05 06:58 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Grade, desired answer whats the difference. right = good, wrong = bad.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: barfightlard]
    #5123954 - 12/30/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

There is a large difference. There is nothing on the paper or in the mother's account that this patriotism "test" is actually worth anything whatsoever.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5124033 - 12/30/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: lwm]
    #5124046 - 12/30/05 07:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

lwm said:
We've got to weed out those damn liberals somehow. Shit if things keep going the way they are you'll have people getting on national TV advocating 40 hour work weeks, universal health care, community hospitals, women and minority rights ect. We'll all go straight to hell and the devil will have his way with our tender, luscious asses.
If we don't dig up Hitler RIGHT NOW and sic him on the world we're all all DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

How do you know that the test wasn't written by a liberal?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: Catalysis]
    #5124137 - 12/30/05 07:56 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
How do you know that the test wasn't written by a liberal?

If that were true then there would have been misspellings all over the paper.  :smirk:

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #5124798 - 12/30/05 11:52 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think the A's and D's are the mother's answers.

Somebody was compairing answers and maybe having some intellegent dialogue.

Liberservatives hate it when people do that.

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Pupils Being Given 'Patriotism' Tests in Washington State Schools [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #5125171 - 12/31/05 02:34 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

This is a rather strange story; assuming that it's true (which wouldn't be all that weird in itself), we don't really know the source behind the material. It could be an English/History/Philsophy teacher attempting to start a dialogue, or it could be research trying to find out where teenagers stand politically or philsophically.

And of course, even if it is research, that's no reason why it could be bad. Perhaps it's a local university just trying to see how political attitudes are changing in teenagers over the past few years. Who knows?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale