Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineluckyjew
Stranger
Oven sterilization
    #510313 - 01/04/02 07:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Can large amounts of substrate be sterilized in the oven? If so, at what temperature and for how long?

Thanks for the help!

-luckyj

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Oven sterilization [Re: luckyjew]
    #510357 - 01/04/02 07:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

No

Offlineluckyjew
Stranger
Re: Oven sterilization [Re: ]
    #510376 - 01/04/02 08:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Then what is the cheapest way to do it?

Anonymous

#510389 - 01/04/02 08:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

What substrate are you sterilizing?
If you are using brown rice and vermiculite...you can just boil the jars in a pot of water for an hour
Otherwise..you need a pressure cooker

Look in the grow/find section

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
    #510602 - 01/05/02 12:52 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have seen cases of oven sterilization where all of the dry parts of the substrate were mixed together, put into an oven safe bag, and cooked in an oven. It was a part of a kit that I once got. The oven safe bage were supplied, so I dont know where to get them.
I had 2 bage full, 4 Qts. per bag, that were cooked for 350 degrees for 1 hour. Then flipped over and cooked for another hour. After that I removed the bag from the oven(which had an oven tie on it by the way) allowed it to cool to where I could handle it, then I added the necessary amounts of water. After that I cooked them for another half hour with the twist tie off.
It smelled terrible by the way, and took about 6 hours total. Not to mention it was a part of a kit so they took into amount how much water would evaporate during the last half hour of this process.
It did work surprisingle enough, nice ass substrate too. Colonized pretty well. However you can get plastic lids for your regular jars and stick them in the microwave. Much much easier, plus you wont have to stray off from any of the standard substrate formulas.

Good Luck

Offlineluckyjew
Stranger
Re: Oven sterilization [Re: Under_net]
    #511060 - 01/05/02 04:09 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not using a jar method. I plan to bag the soil in a a spore works cultivation bag. Is it safe to put these bags in the microwave?

How long should soil be nuked? Say 1 Qt. of soil for instance.

Offlineluckyjew
Stranger
Re: Oven sterilization [Re: Under_net]
    #511063 - 01/05/02 04:10 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not using a jar method. I plan to bag the soil in a a spore works cultivation bag. I will be using a brown rice and vermiculite substrate. Is it safe to put these bags in the microwave?

How long should the substrate be nuked? Say 1 Qt. of soil for instance.

Offlinefungichick
Your mom
    #519333 - 01/13/02 01:10 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Unfortunately I've never used anything but jars to grow. My take on oven sterilization - I wouldn't rely on it by itself. I've only used oven sterilization as a pre sterilization method for my substrate ingredients as an extra precaution. 300 degrees for 20 minutes for the dry substrates. This definitely seems to kill quite of the few nasties that would normally grow without sterilization. I then boil/steam my jars with the mixed substrate for 1 hour. I did an expiriment once to see how effective oven sterilization really is. I baked the dry ingredients and boiled the water which I then used to mix up a few jars of substrate. I let them sit for a little over a week (I did not inoculate them) and only one of the jars showed minimal signs of contamination. Try mixing up some substrate without sterilizing at all and see what kind of nasties grow in those jars! Since I don't have a pressure cooker I presterilize my substrate in my oven in addition to 1 hour of boiling the jars on the stove and have had 0 jars lost to contamination since. In the past when I've only boiled/steamed my jars to sterilize them I'd lose a few (1 to 3 out of 20) jars to contams. But hell none is better than some in this case.

From what I gathered the Myco Environment bag comes with its own presterilized substrate so I don't think sterilization is necessary. Spore Works does have instructions on their site on how to use the Myco Environment bag. I've provided a link to the info you are requesting below.

Spore Works Myco Environment bag

Good luck with your bag o substrate.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation