Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
an idea on bulk grows using minni straw bales 12 pound yeild with 5 square feet.
    #5085909 - 12/20/05 03:36 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Just an idea here.

this fall i saw many little one foot x 6in x 6in decorative straw bales and they got me thinking.

what if you were to clone a piece of stem from a healthy large strong mushroom. Then take that and make a large amount of liquid culture, lets say about enough to fill up a cooler that can hold 2 cases of beer

take 12 of those before mentioned straw bales and dunk them one by one in the LC or mycelum slurry. then place them in a square shape on a large piece of clear plastic drop cloth. the square should be 1.5 x 1.5 foot with a 6 inch gap in the middle.
ten take another 4 and make an offset square on top of the first one, and then 4 more with another offset square.

the end result is a cube of these spawned myc bricks. which is 1.5 foot cubed, but with a 6 inch square gap running down the center.

then take 4 wooden dowels and push them through the 4 corners vertically from the top, making the dowel stick out on the bottom about 4 inches, the rest, about 6 inches sticking out the top.

then make 3 more of these cubes, and place them in a martha stewart closets http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product.jsp...&categoryId=932

you could place an ultra sonic humidifier, small heater, and a air purifier in the top section of this, flowing air downward, with some pvc tubing running from the top of the closet to the bottom floor for an air return to maintain a continual cycle of well controlled, humidified air

the volume of this whole thing adds up like this, the standard half pint can yeild 4 grams dry. the size of the straw bale is .25 cubic feet, .25 (cubic foot) = 14.9610389 US pints. one bale is about 30 times the volume of the standard half pint.

now theoretically the yeild is in direct correlation (linear) to the volume of the substrate, so the yeild for one brick, would be aproximately 4 grams dry (at a half pint) x30(increased volume of substrate) which is 120 grams, this would be multiplied by 12 for the total number of bricks in the formation. 120 x 12 chich gives us ~1440 grams dry of yeild.

now dont forget that we have 4 of these bricks in a single portable closet, 1440 grams x 4 = 5760 grams, 5,760 grams = 12.6986263 pounds.

now assume that you want to have as many of these as possible. they only take up about 5 square feet... think of how many you could have, imagine haveing 15, one made every other day, eventually yeilding every other day for a month.... WOW which would be 12.698 lbs x 15 which is slightly more than 190 lbs, in what i would assume is a little over 2 months time...

im going ot order some oysters and test this out, cuz god only knows that im not going to fuck aroiund with 190 LBS of shrooms.

the interesting thing about this configuration is the gap in the middle, it will allow air flow a constant substrate temperature, which should aid in ability of the substrate to colonise and fruit quickly. furthermore the natural contam resistance of straw and clean air flow should help kill off any contaminants.

possible problems with the yeild calculations, one the 4 grams dry was based on total growth through the life of a BRF jar using the standard pf tek, but im my expierence bulk tends to yeild more.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Edited by zippoz (12/20/05 03:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: an idea on bulk grows using minni straw bales 12 poud yeild with 5 square feet. [Re: ZippoZ]
    #5085939 - 12/20/05 03:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

woops meannt to put this in the non advanced forum, anyone want to move it?

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: an idea on bulk grows using minni straw bales 12 poud yeild with 5 square feet. [Re: ZippoZ]
    #5085964 - 12/20/05 03:53 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm, that is an interesting idea, but id assume you'd need to be running a serious hepa or the contams will eat the straw alive. If you could figure out a way to seal it off from normal air during colonization this would be a nifty idea.

Here's a question for ya, do you think the bricks of straw would colonize while suspended in the LC? Like if you just took a couple of tubs with the slurry, tossed in the straw, and let them sit, would the myc be able to take over the straw. Because then all you would have to do is just close off the top of the LC container and you wouldnt have to much to worry about in the contam area. Once the bricks are almost done you could take them out and arrange them since colonized substrate is more resistant to contams.

Cool idea!

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

Loc: Here, there, EVERYWHERE
    #5085968 - 12/20/05 03:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

The bails would have to be SOAKED in LC to colonize quick enough to beat out contamination. Every time I've used hay or straw it's contamed within 2 flushes. Now i use just a tiny bit of timothy hay with cow crap....

I'd think you'd have to be real careful with the environment these were in... but it's basically a commercial style bail grow. :laugh:

--------------------
........someday I'll find it.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: an idea on bulk grows using minni straw bales 12 poud yeild with 5 square feet. [Re: mediman0078]
    #5085979 - 12/20/05 03:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

as long as you pasturise the straw, is should be fine i have seen straw do some CRAZY SHIT, resist all types of contams in the dirtiest of places.

im just thiknig a dunk in the slurry then putting it in a pillow case and swinging it around to use centrifical force to remove the excess water.

also like i said an air filter (heppa) would be in the top, wiht a heater and humidifier keeping conditions optimal.

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#5085991 - 12/20/05 04:00 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

also there is the issue of suspendig the bales before the myc takes hold enough for structural stabliity,

i suppose wrapping the whole bottom to the top in chicken wire, then cutting out the area for the air shaft should be fine. the myc will just grow over it, and its easy to sanitise with some h202

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #5085994 - 12/20/05 04:00 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

your stoned again aren't you?

lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: an idea on bulk grows using minni straw bales 12 poud yeild with 5 square feet. [Re: Roadkill]
    #5086002 - 12/20/05 04:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

no actually although i probably sohuld be. whats your opinioni roads, do you think that this could work?

--------------------
PEACE

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #5086025 - 12/20/05 04:09 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I dont think that it will work.

Visions straw basket worked well though.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #5086101 - 12/20/05 04:27 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zippoz said:

no actually although i probably sohuld be. whats your opinioni roads, do you think that this could work?

I personally think the contam rates will be very very high with your method above.

reason being...
I have been trying to inoculate horse poo with LC's for the past year and a half...most of those contaminated.
And horse poo is less likely to contaminate than plain straw...IMHO.

I even used a couple pre-pastuerized Tenn Stud horse poo that was in the bags in my experiments.
and they contaminated.

People are trying to do away with a couple steps in growing bulk substrates...
basically doing away with the grain colonization process.
this is great...but when you experiment with new methods expect alot of failures.

I'm tired of trying...and getting only a few bags from over 50 attempts.
When you get a shit load of contaminated bags from trying to inoculate LC's into a bulk substrate you get a little discouraged.

So I'm discouraged...and I'm watching to see if someone else can figgure it out.

Bah hum bug!~

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: an idea on bulk grows using minni straw bales 12 poud yeild with 5 square feet. [Re: Roadkill]
    #5086181 - 12/20/05 04:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm, so lets try this, since we're thinking on a large scale here.....

What about making a MONSTER agar plate.  And then using giant wedges to colonize the straw.  You'd have the benefit of the precolonized substrate without the negative of the liquid, it'd be easier and less messy to spawn, and it'd be cool as shit to have like a 4 ft diameter agar plate :laugh:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
Re: an idea on bulk grows using minni straw bales 12 poud yeild with 5 square feet. [Re: coda]
    #5099371 - 12/23/05 10:03 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

giant agar wedges :grin: i'm crying from laughing so hard

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder