Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBizOng719
Stranger
need some glass blowing info
    #5095596 - 12/22/05 08:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i recently got the idea to start blowing glass but seeing how i dont really have any information on the topic i was hoping someone would have some usefull information for me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: BizOng719]
    #5095612 - 12/22/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: need some glass blowing info [Re: dr_gonz]
    #5095617 - 12/22/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

didn't Randall try to blow and failed miserably to our comedic delight?...

--------------------

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: need some glass blowing info [Re: CaptainH13]
    #5095643 - 12/22/05 08:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

hah

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: need some glass blowing info [Re: BizOng719]
    #5095661 - 12/22/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Here's all the info you need to know:

I suck at glass blowing

Why the hell I took this glass blowing class I do not know. I have no artistic ability at all, so I would never be even adequate at something like this.

On top of not being good at it, it is not fun at all. It is hot, annoying, and mind-numbingly boring. Who would want to do this shit?

A little glass blowing primer for you:

There is a big hot furnace in the shop. This furnace has a pool of molten glass in the bottom of it. You open the door and you either need to take a solid metal stick (a punty) or a metal blow stick (blow pipe) and dip it into the pool of glass and bring out a gelatinous glob.

You then need to mildy comform this blob into an appropriate shape. If you want to make a cup for example (what my class was doing) you need to blow into your blow pipe and expand a bubble. You then shape your bubble into a glass shape, etc..etc...

Sometimes your glass will get cold and it will be very difficult to shape. If this happens you need to take your stick with its blob over to the mini-furnaces to heat it up. You need to be very careful about the temperature of your blob of glass. If it gets too cold it could shatter. It it gets too hot it will just run off of your pole like soupy goo. The whole process of doing all of this requires a zillion little intricate steps. It is such a fucking hassle.

Everything I have made so far looks like it was made by a "special needs" person. Jesus fucking God I can only imagine what the instructors say behind my back as I work on one of my pathetic and misshapen masterworks. Do they laugh? Do they pity me?

Well, I almost lost it at class. I tried to make several glasses and every time something bad happened (my bubble collapsed or became too misshapen to work with). After four attempts and no success I started to get really pissed.

One of the instructors was using my mini-furnace to do something. I needed to get my piece to a mini-furnace quickly. So, I thought I would quickly sneak in and use somebody else's furnace. One of the other students (a girl) said in a very self-righteous and snippy way, "You need to use your own mini-furnace".

I had this blob of orange molten glass at the end of my blow stick. I quickly fantasized about shoving it right into her face. I had to restrain myself from doing this. Oh glory of glories how delicious it would have been to see her shriek as her flesh singed and evaporated into acrid smoke. How rapturous it would have been to hear her pleas for mercy as I drug her over to the 4000 some degree furnace and stuffed her into it almost like I was St. Peter casting someone into the bowels of hell.

After my fifth piece decided to turn into a deformed mess, I had had enough. I said, "That's it...I'm done.". I went and sat down and the teacher got all worried. She could see my rage bubbling. I was exuding it like an aura. She said, "Let's go out onto the porch and cool off." We went out and she said, "You need to calm down. Don't get so frustrated and don't be so hard on yourself. If everybody could glass blow then everybody would do it. It takes a lot of skill and it is hard. etc..etc...". She gave a pretty good pep talk but it did little to assuage my bad mood. I don't think she fathomed how utterly vicious I was feeling.

During my break I went to the pet store across the street. This store sells alligators. You can feed a mouse to the alligators for $1 per mouse. One of the more memorable mice fought like a trooper. He jumped about and evaded the tooth-lined jaws of death. He even managed to scamper up onto the back of one of the gators in the tub. But, inevitably one of the gators got ahold of him and chomped him out of existence. It felt so satisfying. I ended up spending $4 at that store.

I then went back and somehow managed to get a cup finished. It looked like a drunk person had made it. I didn't much care.

I am not going back to that place.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: need some glass blowing info [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5095676 - 12/22/05 08:31 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

BEHOLD! The wonders of glass-blowing!

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#5095680 - 12/22/05 08:33 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainH13 said:

yes,yes he did :bigolboot: BOOT!

--------------------

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
Re: need some glass blowing info [Re: BizOng719]
    #5095743 - 12/22/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

try pyrex instead of soft glass. that maybe more up your alley. smaller pieces and glass tubing instead of blow tubes. although the spinning technique takes some practice.

OfflineBizOng719
Stranger
    #5095916 - 12/22/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainH13 said:

i have no idea like what the hell your talking about man

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale