Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Greyhound: Misery?
    #5089725 - 12/21/05 12:20 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Have any of you ever ridden Greyhound or any similar Bus/charter?  How far did you travel?  was it comfortable? or did you want to kill the screaming kid two seats over?

All I hear from my friends is horror stories.  I am leaving SW Florida to DC tomorrow, it's a 25 hour, 1000 mile trip.  Needless to say, I will be bringing a lot of music to play. 
So lets hear the horror stories, or the good ones(if any)  :crazy2:

Man, I hope some hot chick sits next to me :laugh:
:rolleyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Greyhound: Misery? [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #5089737 - 12/21/05 12:24 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

the longest i have been in such a bus is 9 hours... and i have to say it was bearable... i don't know if you are able to read on a driving car (i always get dizzy), but if you can you are saved... bring a good book along... and obviously music...

good journey, man!  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #5089740 - 12/21/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

We were building some new walls for the greyhound station in Dallas and some hobo came up trying to sell us a sleeping bag. He was a black dude and says, "You guys probably hunt, wanna buy my sleeping bag?" (a black guy sees some white dudes working and he had us pegged as big game hunters)

for your trip... I like getting an album that I haven't really attached any significant memories to and then listen to it over and over... by the end of the trip and from then on. Everytime i hear that album, memories flow through real good about that trip. It's not as common when I mix the selection up though.

--------------------
"You might not be aware of this, but there are a lot of dickheads on the Internet." - D. Wong

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #5089743 - 12/21/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think I have to take a greyhound 11 hours into Canoodia in February...

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5089753 - 12/21/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Well one time I was heading between Philly and syracuse, and on the greyhound from my crossover in scranton to syracuse, there was this highly obnoxious emo kid, who frightened the hell out of me when he stood up and revealed obscenely tight pants... it scared me.

Another time I was taking the same trip and waiting for my bus during the layover in scranton, this really uncomfortable old dude came up to me and was like "I never seen a chick roll a cigarette, you cant roll one for shit" I just kinda put up with him for a while, until he randomly was like "You know some chick got raped right over there last week"

hmmm...makes me feel comfortable when I'm travelling alone.

On the other hand I've had the great fortune of meeting a really neat and introspective girl on the bus ride from philly to scranton on the same day, who gave me an angel reading that was right on in accordance with recent changes I had gone through.

Not really horror stories, but stories nonetheless

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #5089758 - 12/21/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It's not too bad, all things considered, although it's saving grace is that it's a pretty cheap way to travel. Just watch yourself in some of those bus stations.....

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
    #5089759 - 12/21/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i took a greyhound from chicago to san diego... the ride wasnt so bad. i just listened to music and slept. it just sucked cause i had like no money. so everytime the bus stopped all i could get to eat was a candy bar.. so i didnt get to eat any real food for 5-6days ... so my advice, bring some food or money! hahaa

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: Greyhound: Misery? [Re: Infrared]
    #5089924 - 12/21/05 01:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, so far I have:
Bring entertainment/books/music :smile:
Don't talk to the crazies :lol:
Watch myself in the bus stations :abduction:
Have money so I don't have to succumb to the candy bar diet(that's rough!)  :crazy:  :grin:

Good stuff.  Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #5089946 - 12/21/05 01:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Dude,

I went on a greyhound for 4 and half long fucking days.

Let me tell you, it's a great experience.  I loved it and met a whole bunch of people I still talk to.  Even met a real hot chick (yeah :thumbup:)  Anyways, I travelled from london, ON to whitehorse, Yukon.  Only a 12 hour layover in edmonton but other than that it was pretty non-stop.  But awesome trip anyways :laugh:  Any more questions, ask em :smile:

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Greyhound: Misery? [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #5089973 - 12/21/05 01:22 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I agree with DB42, BRING LOTS OF FOOD WITH YOU. I succumbed to the candy bar diet, trust me, it's fucked me up for my whole life as far as I can tell. I can't even eat as much as I could before, not even close. Bring music, cd player, batteries, books, stuff like that.

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
Re: Greyhound: Misery? [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #5090069 - 12/21/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yea!! i swear my stomach shrank ... to this day i still cant eat as much as could before that

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #5090090 - 12/21/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I rode it from Austin, TX to Elmira, NY....

FOUR DAYS OF HELL.

There are a few good things about greyhound. Such as, if you want to be low key and avoid aircraft, it's a grimy alternative.

Which brings me to what grossed me out about Greyhound the most:

The grime. The boogers (wiped all over the seat by nasty coughing/sneezing diseased little kids). The stench. (bathroom always seemed to spread it's odor all throughout the coach).

And I'm not even that much of a germaphobe...but...on that Greyhound...for four days straight...I seriously thought the grime and other disgusting qualities would drive me crazy.

And that's not even including the rude fuckers. The people who cut in front of you in line (little tip: always try to be the first in line at each stop. Greyhound overbooks their coaches, so if the coach gets too full, even if you have a ticket they won't let you on. Happened to me twice from TX to NY), the people who won't stop yapping or snoring extra load, the babies...the perverts. It's all there on the Greyhound.

They also do random bag searches for drugs. My friend got her bag searched randomly, the kid doing the nosy bullshit found her bong and sack of weed. He confiscated it and said, "Get on the bus." See? On an airplane you'd be in prison after a find like that. Another good thing.

I'll avoid Greyhound in the future though, personally.

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #5091532 - 12/21/05 09:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

From This Thread

Keep on your toes through the whole trip. Greyhound isn't like an airport. they don't pay they're employees much, and they're stations are always guaranteed to be in the worst possible part of town. Keep all belongings in sight at all times. Be prepared to have any number of bus station scams run on you. Bag switches, pick pockets, pedophiles, thieves, beggars, con artists, drug dealers, and every shade of shady character congregates at the bus stations.
Know your route, ask again frequently just to be sure, yet don't trust what they tell you. The system is very chaotic. If they say the bus leaves in ten minutes assume that it could leave in 5.
You've got to guard your seat if you don't want anyone to sit next to you. So every time that the bus stops and lets new people on get in the isle seat, and pretend to be asleep. That way you'll be the last person that has to share a seat with potentially fat, stinky, and creepy people.
I made it my entire trip (Texas to Ohio and back) without being searched, but i did see one bus at one station get shook down by the po's.
And the number one rule that you got to remember, is that no matter how comfortable that big seat looks in the back of the bus, put at least 2 rows of seats between you and it, or else you might spend several hours smelling people shit.

but aside from that, the greyhound is a cool experience. You get to see the country up close, and personal. You meet some interesting people too.

--------------------

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5091539 - 12/21/05 09:19 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I went from Indianapolis to NYC 3 days after 9/11.....It was like 20 hours or so. It was bearable. I just sat in my own space and listened to music the entire way.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Greyhound: Misery? [Re: Deadmaker]
    #5091693 - 12/21/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

My grandma once told me a story about the person next to her pissing on her leg in a greyhound bus. They stopped the bus and kicked his ass off. You can have a good or bad experience, but either way your going to see/experience some fucked up shit.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineFireside
winter welcome

#5091730 - 12/21/05 10:23 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

does anyone know if they run drug dogs by greyhounds going into and out of Canada... why not just board, hide your stash tapped either hidden in the bathroom or under an empty seat, and ride for the good and bad no need to tape it to your testicles, or even worse, carry it in your pocket!

--------------------
"Around us the jungle, ahead of us, the Secret"

Mushroom Wood Lord, Flowstone
Check in under the nymph flower

Offlinejanelle1502
RecoveringPessimist
 User Gallery

Re: Greyhound: Misery? [Re: Cubieman420]
    #5091772 - 12/21/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cubieman420 said:
My grandma once told me a story about the person next to her pissing on her leg in a greyhound bus. They stopped the bus and kicked his ass off. You can have a good or bad experience, but either way your going to see/experience some fucked up shit.

grandma stories make me laugh.

Last time I was on a greyhound the bus driver was a dick, he left this nervous little old lady at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere. We kept trying to tell him that he left her there but he was all dickishly denying it, until the highway patrol called the bus and told him they had picked her up. It was sad, but pretty funny....

So my advice is, don't lag at the rest stops. They could give a fuck if they leave you there...

--------------------
All statements in this post are fictitious.

OfflineOriginal
God, I lovethis...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Monterey, CA
    #5091794 - 12/21/05 10:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I'm from SW Florida...

Bonita Springs actually.. (inbetween ft. myers and naples)

I was born in Naples..

Now I live in Nor-Cal..

DA 239 BITCHES!!! (used to be 941 but the counties got all gay on us)

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonized cakes smell like South Florida...

Seriously...
---------------------------------
I can't sleep cuz the mexicans keep lighting their fireworks...
---------------------------------
If ya don't want trouble, ya gots ta crumble...

-Johnny Cochran on the use of crumbled vs. whole cakes..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OfflineUlcerPentacidis
psilophile

#5091878 - 12/21/05 10:53 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

In my opinion greyhound isn't too bad, I had a fairly interesting time riding it.

In the summer of 04, I rode it from minneapolis MN to Redding CA, for a grand total of 54 hours each way. Although it was a long ride, I really did enjoy myself, and met a bunch of interesting people along the way. I was lucky enough to be offered weed a few times on the trip, which was nice, and in turn shared some cannicarmelcorn I had with a few people as well. All the things drtyfrnk mentioned seemed pretty accurate, and you gotta try your damndest to keep that seat to yourself whenever possible.

--------------------
µgrammar

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male

Loc: center of earth
    #5092899 - 12/22/05 07:13 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i rode the greyhound for over 90hours total the last time i rode it...

51 hours from CO to NYC
4l hours from NYC back to CO.

it wasn't as terrible as i thought... it was warm, you don't have a reserved seat, the bathroom stinks, there are sometimes drug dogs and bag searches, etc.

i survived it w/ sleeping pills and vodka and lots of music... i was awake for approx. 7hrs of the trip out.. i just got used to waking up at the transfers and stops to use the bathroom.

i managed to carry some mushies with me the whole way out.. i had to ditch the pot i had on me in St. Louis because they had dogs in the station and were searching some busses bags and i didn't know which ones.

all in all... not as bad as i expected.. but most trips can be made for the same price on a plane if booked far enough in advance.

yos-

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds