Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushroomSmoothie
Sushi Fanatic

Loc: Local Brothel
Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS**
    #5089480 - 12/21/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Just got done dunking my first 2 cakes and theyr all ready to grow. Here is my growing chamber for these 2:

The temp is usually around 68F-72F and the humidity can be from 90-96%. One question I had was to roll it after I dunked, I didnt know if it was necessary or if i had to sterilize the vermiculite first and how. My last question about the terrarium is that there is some gaps in the plastic lid:

You can see the long thin gap where I am pointing and there are is some small gaps where the handle connects to the lid. Just wondering if it is bad or not but the humidity is not affected by it at all. Thanks a lot guys.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejcasias
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS** [Re: MushroomSmoothie]
    #5089533 - 12/21/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The small crack should be fine. This actually might provide a very very small amount of air exchange which is necessary when you can't fan the FC. It looks like a great chamber for a beginner, mine is very similar except i have a reptile humidifier so i can dramatically increase humidity. As for dunking and rolling, It not at all necessary, however it is a good idea. If you want to make humidity just right you can place a heating pad under the FC, this is increase the humidity produced by the perlite, just monitor so it doesnt' get too hot. Good luck!!

--------------------
Human beings must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS** [Re: jcasias]
    #5089549 - 12/21/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I don't like heating pads because they creat hot spots.

as for everything else looks good. I would have gone with a clear lid for directional light. i wouldn't worry about that very small gap in the lid, like the person above said might help with gas exchange.

as for the dunk-N-roll it helps retain water but it is not required.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS** [Re: MushroomSmoothie]
    #5089550 - 12/21/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

How is light getting in?

Also, with cakes, humidity won't be too much of a problem, just make sure there is moisture on the sides and it'll be fine. The perlite is not necessary, but there is no reason to chuck it out yet, just be wary of keeping too much water in there and keep using peroxide in the perlite...water sitting in there can easily lead to contams.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineMushroomSmoothie
Sushi Fanatic

Re: Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS** [Re: demiu5]
    #5089572 - 12/21/05 11:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I have a huge lamp sitting right next to my desk which is on for atleast 4 hours a day and there is definately enough daylight. When rolling a cake should the vermiculite be sterilized? And a temp around 70F should be good right?

--------------------

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
    #5089579 - 12/21/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yes if your going to roll sterilize the vermiculite or you will run into contam issues.

What kind of bulb is in the lamp?

Offlinejcasias
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS** [Re: thenewguy05]
    #5089615 - 12/21/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The best type of light is at most pet stores. Its a daytime light that simulates sunlight to the T. I would leave it on for 12 hours,not 4, leaving it on for 4 it will take forever to pin.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomSmoothie
Sushi Fanatic

Re: Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS** [Re: jcasias]
    #5089662 - 12/21/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

My lightbulb is a Sylvania 150V Daylight, so i guess I should be good. It says daylight right on the top. I also have good daylight coming into my room. How do i sterilize the vermiculite before I go about rolling my cakes?

--------------------

Offlinejcasias
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5089702 - 12/21/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't sterilize my verm before rolling, though I didn't know that I should because i asked around and nobody said I should, my cakes are doing fine too. You can't nuke it because if u nuke dry verm it burns. The only way i could imagine is placing it in a bag that can take high head and pressure cooking it.

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5089713 - 12/21/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Welcome to the shroomery!

Verm is sterile right out of the bag, no need to microwave or PC it. Just wet your cakes and roll them around in a plate of verm. Make sure to get your temps up to about 75 degree F, also make sure to keep them warm during the night! If you have a crappy heater like my apt and live in a cold area, the temps can drop to the 50's which is not good for the mushies.

Other then that looking good! :thumbsup:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Birthed my first 2 cakes, growing chamber OK? **PICS** [Re: coda]
    #5089720 - 12/21/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

jcasias the real reason you dont want to nuke verm is because its a metal! Or, there's at least metal in the verm, either way, it has the potential to fuck up your microwave and it smells really really bad when you burn it. To sterlize it in the microwave (even though its not needed) just soak it to field capacity.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale