Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Total Acceptance Taken out of context - it means zip. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5089567 - 12/21/05 01:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
unbeliveable how twisted up things can get,
an experiential insight turns into
an instruction which is deformed into
a partly understandable aphorism which becomes
an old wive's tale and then
a complete misunderstanding
applied to the wrong things altogether.

then smart web persons look at it and become a box of silly monkeys trying to take a misunderstood old wives saying which was derived from an aphorism that may have been a yogic instruction from an experiential context, and then they take it seriously as if a guide to the perplexed (and it is not that).

this is when it really seems to be a wank

:confused:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Acceptance of the best [Re: Veritas]
    #5089637 - 12/21/05 01:59 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

great graphics veritas
as per usual
accept nothing but the best
:wink:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Acceptance IS the best! [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5089650 - 12/21/05 02:02 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Nah, I prefer to accept it all & sort through it later while I sing Christmas carols.  :grin:

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Re: Total Acceptance = Total Inertia [Re: Swami]
    #5089716 - 12/21/05 02:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

ah, yes... acceptance is neccessary if one wants to achieve an enlightened state of mind... it's important to look beyond physical appearance and even look beyond assumption. we must accept things as they are, even if they don't really ever work our way.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Total Acceptance = Total Inertia [Re: Veritas]
    #5089749 - 12/21/05 02:26 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

"What evidence do you have for your claim?"

He was claiming to need nothing, having acheived a state of perfect contentment.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Total Acceptance = Total Inertia [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5089767 - 12/21/05 02:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

OH! Sorry, Swam, I couldn't hear you with your tongue in your cheek like that.

Congrats! It's not every day one of our own becomes enlightened.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #5089780 - 12/21/05 02:36 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I was countering sarcasm with sarcasm.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Total Acceptance = Total Inertia [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5089784 - 12/21/05 02:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

We're on the same page, sir.  :grin:

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #5089791 - 12/21/05 02:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
So what my house is freezing? If I am not uncomfortable, there is no need to chop wood or buy more heating oil.

So what if I am starving? If I am not uncomfortable, there is no need to hunt, grow, or work to buy food.

Yup, that chick over there is mega-hot, but I accept things as they are, so no need to 'make a play'.

Think I will just sit here in Zazen and never move...

What a terrible oversimplification and western interpretation of the idea of Total Acceptance!

As Veritas said, Total Acceptance doesn't mean never doing anything. A water is passive, and does not struggle to achieve some "desired" state. It accepts its path and its nature. And what do rivers do? They cut mountains! Carve canyons! They can wipe out entire cities in a single flood! A river may stay put for thousands of years, but every drop of water is brand new to that river and is always in motion! Where is the inertia?

Total acceptance is not the same as APATHIC COMPLACENCY! Westerns often apply this misinterpretation to buddhist teaching and consequently misunderstand the religion as pessimistic and anti-progressive. "Yeah they're just a bunch of commies who don't want to accept responsibility and do something with the world. They'd rather meditate in a cave and avoid everything." :rolleyes:

Total acceptance is ACCEPTANCE of that which we were FIGHTING before. Mainly, our constant Becoming in every moment. Instead of allowing our Becoming to be fullfilled like a river flowing down it's path we try to build dams and canals, irrigation ditches. Then we cry when our artificial rivers dry up or flood, or collapse.

Of course, there is no way for me to explain this to you, Swami, and have you understand it in any other way than that which you have convinced yourself is the proper understanding. So I'm not going to try.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Total Acceptance = Total Inertia [Re: dr0mni]
    #5089799 - 12/21/05 02:41 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Total acceptance is ACCEPTANCE of that which we were FIGHTING before. Mainly, our constant Becoming in every moment. Instead of allowing our Becoming to be fullfilled like a river flowing down it's path we try to build dams and canals, irrigation ditches. Then we cry when our artificial rivers dry up or flood, or collapse.

Yes! Excellent insight.

Resistance of reality is wasteful expenditure of energy which could be used for our benefit.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5089809 - 12/21/05 02:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

closer

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: Total Acceptance = Total Inertia [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5089836 - 12/21/05 02:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I like dr0mni and Veritas' explanations.

However, I think if Swami is comfortable with his interpretation, all the better for him... I mean, he's the one living contently. If it aids him, then it may guide him.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #5090014 - 12/21/05 03:30 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
You are looking into starting your own business because your current work situation is not SATISFACTORY. If everything was totally acceptable, you would make no effort to change anything.

TRUE or FALSE?

False. :grin:

This is merely a question of semantics. Some are referring to one definition of "acceptance" as being favorable reception and approval of that which is being accepted, while others regard "acceptance" as being a belief in something, an agreement.

These who refer to the second definition, that of an agreement, recognize reality for what it is being presented to them as, and they agree with it, in that reality is currently in that state as it is, and that it would be a useless mental struggle to deny that reality is this way.

These same people propose that, from this, it is perfectly allowable to accept reality in this manner and yet openly embrace initiating action within it in order to produce change. Such an action does not contradict their agreement with reality in the manner that acceptance as a term is being used.

Others interpret these people's expressions as though they are saying that they accept the way reality has presented itself to be, implying that reality is in a state that they find desireable, acceptable, fo shizzle. From such a perspective, it is then confusing to see these same people express that they will engage in changing this reality they claim to accept. If they accept it for what it is, why would they attempt to change it?

:lol:

You should all be fucking commited, you fucking loons. :smirk: Happy holidays, all, I'm off to bed. :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Total Acceptance = Total Inertia [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5090022 - 12/21/05 03:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

:hug: Merry whatever, you pyrotechnical deity, you.  :wink:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Total Acceptance and a happy new year [Re: Veritas]
    #5090065 - 12/21/05 03:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i can accept that

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Total Acceptance and a happy new year [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5090075 - 12/21/05 03:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I understand that! :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: Total Acceptance and a happy new year [Re: Icelander]
    #5090102 - 12/21/05 03:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I accept, too. :smile:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Total Acceptance and a happy new year [Re: Swami]
    #5090714 - 12/21/05 07:10 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

..acceptance sometimes can be translated as 'realisation' (especially in the light of the 'changing', imo)

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #5091085 - 12/21/05 08:51 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

Swami said:
You are looking into starting your own business because your current work situation is not SATISFACTORY. If everything was totally acceptable, you would make no effort to change anything.

TRUE or FALSE?

This is merely a question of semantics. Some are referring to one definition of "acceptance" as being favorable reception and approval of that which is being accepted, while others regard "acceptance" as being a belief in something, an agreement.

These who refer to the second definition, that of an agreement, recognize reality for what it is being presented to them as, and they agree with it, in that reality is currently in that state as it is, and that it would be a useless mental struggle to deny that reality is this way.

These same people propose that, from this, it is perfectly allowable to accept reality in this manner and yet openly embrace initiating action within it in order to produce change. Such an action does not contradict their agreement with reality in the manner that acceptance as a term is being used.

Others interpret these people's expressions as though they are saying that they accept the way reality has presented itself to be, implying that reality is in a state that they find desireable, acceptable, fo shizzle. From such a perspective, it is then confusing to see these same people express that they will engage in changing this reality they claim to accept. If they accept it for what it is, why would they attempt to change it?

You should all be fucking commited, you fucking loons. :smirk: Happy holidays, all, I'm off to bed. :lol:

:congrats: :congrats:

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #5092663 - 12/22/05 06:55 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

Swami said:

TRUE or FALSE?

:lol: Excellent Answer! Merry Yule!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds