Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedubbyah
Stranger
my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia
    #5081555 - 12/19/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

so I know this kid, whos mom had severe schizofrenia, and when he was 12 or so he dropped lots of acid, did ether and pcp and shrooms and salvia, now he has really really severe schizofrenia, and is a pretty fucked up person who cant function well nad has paranoid thoughts. he also drinks alcohol every day to self medicate.

he smoked some salvia extract but he didnt break thru, and he said he loved it and it made hinm feel unschizofrenic.. hes going to break thru on 20x again he says... is this a bad idea? i mean, i told him thats a really bad idea, but he says hes still going to do it... if he didnt have a bad experiance when he smoked a littleb it maybe he wont have a bad trip?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleabrad84
Stranger
Male

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: dubbyah]
    #5081581 - 12/19/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yes this is a bad idea, you can't physically stop him but you should try to dissuade him. Just because he smoked a little and didn't have a bad trip means nothing, 20x can be very strong.

Edited by abrad84 (12/19/05 12:03 PM)

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: abrad84]
    #5081634 - 12/19/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i don't think schizo is caused by psychodelics. if his mom has it i'd say he got it from genetics. seriously, if psycho's caused schizo's i'd be locked up.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlinedubbyah
Stranger
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: iateshaggy]
    #5081643 - 12/19/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

it's very well known that if one is genetically predisposed, hallucinogens can trigger latent schizo.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: iateshaggy]
    #5081728 - 12/19/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

iateshaggy said:
i don't think schizo is caused by psychodelics. if his mom has it i'd say he got it from genetics. seriously, if psycho's caused schizo's i'd be locked up.

its not the "cause" its a "trigger" he already had a problem and it just took that one "thing" to push him over the "edge". alright i admit i went crazy with the whole "thing"

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: lemon_lw]
    #5082402 - 12/19/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

he may be on a quest
let him go
let him be

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineKodath
strangerThan

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5082473 - 12/19/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Well, you could try to dissuade him from it but by the sounds of it I doubt that'll work. In the end it's his choice, who knows maybe it'll help him somehow. At least it's salvia, a bad trip lasts all of 10 minutes or so. Although it could still be damaging for him at least he's not risking a 5 hour nightmare.

I'm not sure how you'd trip sit a schitzophrenic but it'd probably be a good idea to do this at least the first few times.

--------------------

Life: Main event at the MGM Grand. Murphy's fighting Occam, and you're in the stands.

InvisiblePsilicubes
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia *DELETED* [Re: dubbyah]
    #5082881 - 12/19/05 05:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Psilicubes

Reason for deletion: Property of the DEA

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Psilicubes]
    #5083023 - 12/19/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You've warned him, warn him again, make sure he understands the risks, if he decides to go ahead anyways and ends up screwing himself up even more than he already is well... Natural selection is somewhat self inflicted...

Invisibleso_me_tuo
Stranger
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: StickyWater]
    #5259259 - 02/03/06 01:15 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

From reading Terrance mckeena and listening to schizophrenic people talk it seems like schizophrenics are just people on a different level of consciousness than everyone Else they just don't understand what is happening to them and our way of living doesn't help.when you are surrouned by people who tell you that your sick you are and certainly if your mind in such a diffrent place and you dont know what is happening. but Terrance mckeena points out that some shamans are schizophrenic. so i just don't think people with schizophrenia are at all messed up and shouldn't refrain from doing anything just because some person says they have a mental disorder. If you think about it the only reason schizophrenic people are schizophrenic is because the majority of people feel how they feel and can tell that "schizophrenics" feel and think differently. You can call people "schizophrenic" but they are really just people who feel different from you IE everyone. mental disorders are defined but the culture not the person them self. and i feel like people telling people who are schizophrenic that they are that just makes them think they are sick forever instead of having them just work out the way they feel and put there reality back in working order. mental disorders are just another barrir created by people that is unnessary and places you father from reality.

Edited by pheonix (02/03/06 01:28 PM)

OfflineOrizonsHorizon
Stranger
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: so_me_tuo]
    #5259468 - 02/03/06 02:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pheonix said:
From reading Terrance mckeena and listening to schizophrenic people talk it seems like schizophrenics are just people on a different level of consciousness than everyone Else they just don't understand what is happening to them and our way of living doesn't help.when you are surrouned by people who tell you that your sick you are and certainly if your mind in such a diffrent place and you dont know what is happening. but Terrance mckeena points out that some shamans are schizophrenic. so i just don't think people with schizophrenia are at all messed up and shouldn't refrain from doing anything just because some person says they have a mental disorder. If you think about it the only reason schizophrenic people are schizophrenic is because the majority of people feel how they feel and can tell that "schizophrenics" feel and think differently. You can call people "schizophrenic" but they are really just people who feel different from you IE everyone. mental disorders are defined but the culture not the person them self. and i feel like people telling people who are schizophrenic that they are that just makes them think they are sick forever instead of having them just work out the way they feel and put there reality back in working order. mental disorders are just another barrir created by people that is unnessary and places you father from reality.

Ya thats pretty deep and this probably does apply for some other sublte Mental disorders but Schizophrenics, no. THe yardstick of sanity can only be measured in funtionality..Shizoids are for the most part not functionalable without receiving proper treatment. Have you ever been around severe manic Schizoids? THe ones that spend they're whole life in lock-down asylums. I guess perhaps in some type of reality they could symbiotically exist but Im not gonna consider the thought until then.

OfflineJackattack
Stranger

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: so_me_tuo]
    #5259493 - 02/03/06 02:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Give us an update after he smokes the stuff. It'd be interesting to know if salvia could possibly help schizophrenics. I'd say let him do it for science.

InvisibleMushy_face
Stranger

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Jackattack]
    #5259506 - 02/03/06 02:14 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Is terrence mckenna shizofrenic? you would have thought so after reading some of his ideas, but i got the impression he was alrite?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Mushy_face]
    #5259654 - 02/03/06 03:12 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

terrence was very indulged
I am not happy with the trail he left and how it is so pumped up
dmturner was more scientific, but not a good swimmer when it came to the last dunk.
anyway
the thing about schizophrenics (and drug experimenters) is that you can't really generalize.
often schizophrenics will dicard entire social and consensual rulesets exhibiting a great deal of fluidity in almost any mental activity.
in a way habit is less of a controling factor, and will itself is exposed as a primal mover, accessible, naked and raw.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Mushy_face]
    #5259655 - 02/03/06 03:12 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The brief way you described him described me when i was 16 and started doing looots of psychedelic drugs. Now that im older, i see other young kids doing what i did and i perceive them as extremely strange.

I guess what im saying is - kids will be kids, and im glad i did the experimentation i did when i was young. I still have a strange mindset but am reasonably functional. It took a couple years to flatten out..

Concern is great - redefine normal, hopefully he succeeds. You wont change him.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleMystikMushroom
I RULE YOU!
    #5259951 - 02/03/06 04:47 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pheonix said:

Ah yes...Terrence talks about this phenomenon in his book "The Invisible Landscape". He talks about the connections between the shamanic mindset and the schizophrenic, and how western culture MAY have writen these people off.

Think about it...I feel MUCH more schizophrenic now than before I started using psychedelics.

I think that being "schizophrenic" is the ultimate goal of any indigenous shaman. It's not a sickness to them...it's a state of awareness. This state is channeled and controlled through shamanic techniques passed down from shamnan to aprentence. Children who exhibit signs of "mental illness" (like epilepsy for example) are not seen as "sick" but gifted, and are often taken under the wing of the local shaman as an apprentence.

The shaman shuns his culture and lives on the edge of the vilage in solitude, because he obviously has no interest in the every-day squabbles of his culture. His people understand are respect that relationship because they themselves are more tuned into that mindstate than we currently are.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: dubbyah]
    #5260049 - 02/03/06 05:12 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

He should not use psychedelics and salvia.

It is prone to increase his suffering and decrease his grasp on reality. The salvia may last three minutes, but the consequences for a schizophrenic may last three years.
And it may even be a pleasant salvia experience causing all this misery.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlineheidegger
Stranger

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Asante]
    #5260153 - 02/03/06 05:51 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

There is a chance that Salvia might be unlike serotonergic entheogens and does not pose a risk of aggravating schizophrenia, but I really don't think that this is a risk worth taking in this situation.

Kappa opioid agonists like Salvinorin A decrease dopamine levels in certain brain areas, so they are doing exactly the opposite of most other entheogens or 'drugs'. That might be a reason why your friend described an improvement of his symptoms. However, the long-term effects or possible rebound-effects are unknown, so... see the first paragraph.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #5260175 - 02/03/06 05:59 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pheonix said:

I totally agree

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Asante]
    #5260201 - 02/03/06 06:08 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, since it seems your friend with schizophrenia will keep on using drugs despite your point of view on this whole thing, tell him that if he trys to do 20x again and it actually "solves" his problems, ask him if he feels alright when hes not on it because i know that less severe forms of depression can be "solved" by using empathogens such as mdma for <some> people, but then again with the use of most drugs by depressed people for "self-medication" it helps only when they are on it. Something like this is very dangerous because it ends up with addiction to the substance/s, and with mdma can even make it worse and not help anymore when using it.

Back to the "solving" of mental illnesses/ problems issue. Some spirtual experiences can lead a suicidual person in the right path, causing them to think very postively. Same with mental illnesses, an expereince "could" possibly cure their problem, but it varies with each mental illness/problem and each human. I do think that a person who is depressed by events and does not have a chemical imbalance can become happy again with a spirtual experience, though its risky. But with something more severe and harder to treat, the risks get bigger. Most likely if your friend feels "alright" on the 20x, even though if he feels alright from the 20x it might seem he likes insainty(20x is pretty intense stuff, i dont feel it could cure me of something but i enjoy the intensity to ecscape from reality for a little, but it seems for him it would probably make him even crazier, he will only feel alright on it only when he is on it. If he has a severe case one use wont "cure" it off, most likely if he did it everyday it wouldnt even help much, it could even trigger something deeper. My dearest opnion is that he should seek medical guidance with a professional in the field of pyschriatric disorders and medinical sciences; they will probably help him recover the most he can with intense mental and physical thearpy consisting of techniques and classes, with the use of anti-depressants as well.

--------------------
"Sanity is not statistical."

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: heidegger]
    #5260217 - 02/03/06 06:14 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

perhaps an unpopular opinion, but i think in this case the issue is with the experience and not the chemical reaction in his brain.

Salvia made me paranoid, it laid out a construct of reality that i was living in a computer simulation and rearranged my concept of freewill.

Anyways, my experience is irrelevent - all im saying is that Salvia may increase his paranoid delusions in the short term (things get confusing when your abusing drugs), However, as in my experience - I cant refuse my preminitions to follow certain attractors.. and even if it is detrimental shortterm, things are meant to happen for a reason in my world. (that concept of freewill!) Generally everything starts to make sense in retrospect..

If the kid already has a "terrence-mckenna-view-of-the-world" perhaps this will solidify and help him come to terms with his place in this reality. Everything takes time, he's got institutions telling him he's sick, a world telling him how to be, and intuition telling him everything else, while everyone tells him thats wrong.

I say sit him, and help him grasp his experience, and buy him a book on the tao. :wink:

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: PDU]
    #5260263 - 02/03/06 06:34 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

His schizoid behaviour is from his mom, it is an inheritance fro his mother. And I don't know why, but I'm almost sure that if uses proper anykind of psychedelics could help him out.
Just keep us informed of this matter cause I'm curious.
Oh and.....whish him all the luck.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #5260392 - 02/03/06 07:14 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah i do think its possible that a spiritual experience from a drug "possibly" might help him out although in the case of schizophenria, it can vary very much from person to person, so it is very risky to try, but yes for most (for me too) salvia 20x, above, puts you in the drivers seat of the car, but you my friend aren't the one driving; the control of your actions, thoughts, feelings, prety much everything, is out of touch with the experience, so daily use would defientely escacalte pyschosis of probably anyone(unless very spiritual: a shaman's thinking is very different) escpeialy with this disorder. keep in touch with him, try to help as much as possible and inform us please. Thanks

--------------------

OfflineWillieTomg
If stemmer votedme 1, I'm doingSOMETHING right!
Loc: On the insides of your ey...
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: DinahTheCat]
    #5260837 - 02/03/06 09:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Wait a minute, what was the thread title again?

Quote:

my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia

Hmmm... seems like there's some important information there... if only there were a way to highlight it...

Quote:

my schizofrenic friend (WHO GOT IT FROM DOING HALLUCINOGENS) is going to smoke salvia

And you guys are telling him to seek spiritual experiences with drugs...

Y'know what? Whatever. I see a large number of people on this forum apparently get a kick out of seeing people perma-fried, and all I can do is cast my two cents and point out how illogical it is based on the thread title (and the entire OP for that matter.) And what's sick is that I've already been in a half dozen arguments in a thread just like this in Mental and Physical Being.

I guess I can't do much to stop you from where I sit, but I say it's a stupid idea.

--------------------
Battles of wits are impossible with the unarmed.

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: WillieTomg]
    #5260989 - 02/03/06 10:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

People who actually have the disorder should not smoke salvia.
It is almost impossible for them to benefit from it.
I have relatives on both sides of my family who killed themselves because of the disorder. I knew one of those people, and if you were to give him even the littlest hit of salvia he probably would have enjoyed it, but it would only accentuate his disorder in days to come.
Hallucinogens can trigger schizophrenia, mainly for people who are genetically prone to it.
MORE Crossfiring synapses is not a good thing for someone with schizophrenia. Hallucinogens and schyzophrenia are most definately related in more ways than one.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: WillieTomg]
    #5261187 - 02/03/06 11:11 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Actually willie i think you would have to define permafried - obviously we dont know how bad this kid is. It was said in the title that he's skitzo, later in the threat its mentioned that he got it from his "skitzoid" disorder and his paranoid thinking from his mother -

Guess what.. There's tons of well spoken, intelligent, artistic, and functional people on these boards that fall under the skitzoid personality type, I am one of them.

None of us here know the real severity or situation of this kid - "kids" "shouldnt" be doing drugs at all, but some of us have and will, and some of us are better for it... Chemically vs. life situation/reality construct/intelligence is a big difference as i was saying before.

However, to accept mental illness straight up, because someone "suffers" symptoms that many of us enjoy, understand, or at very worst have learned to live with - is wrong.

Situation - living with parents...

Hospitalization/dangerous behavior

Psychiatric drugs/counselling

diet

school/education

friends

and knowledge..

are all factors that come to play here. I think both opinions have been represented fairly depending on the answers to these unknown variables and i think.. since your as "in the dark" as us, that your statement is invalid.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineCutter
other side guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oh Yeah land
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: stemmer]
    #5261277 - 02/03/06 11:35 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with WillieTomg and stemmer about using street psychotropics as a home cure for schizophrenia is playing with fire.

I'm all for natural cures
I have a cousin that has schizophrenia, he just tried strangling his mother because he thought she was a demon, and 2 months before that he jumped off a bridge landing on the ground 30 feet below breaking a couple ribs, and spraining his ankle, running from supposed invisible demons trying to kill him.

I hear a lot about this disease, and when I was in my mid teens I tripped with a bunch of guys that i knew, and one guy seemed perfectly normal, untill he tried acid that time and freaked out, found out later that he is schizo and the acid triggered it.

Not saying he wouldn't have been affected by it later in life, but drugs only make it worse. Only when he was on the medication the doctor provided was he stable, but those drugs made him impotent and gain weight so he stops taking them, then freak out a couple weeks later.

Schizophrenia is a degenerative disease, it only gets worse, and even though there are effective treatments, there is no cure.

Thinking that salvia is some miracle unfound cure for schizophrenia is ignorant, and careless.

And thinking schizophrenia is a good thing, like some blessed shaman, or some other glamorized position is really messed up.
Try watching a son strangle his own mother, or jump off of brides hurting himself and tell me that schizophrenia is cool then.

Moral of the story, don't give people with schizophrenia drugs, especially psychotropics!

Offlinedubbyah
Stranger
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Cutter]
    #5261285 - 02/03/06 11:36 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i didnt say anything about schizoid personality disorder, his mom had schizophrenia and so does he

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5261325 - 02/04/06 12:02 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

They are the same thing dude.
Unless you are differentiating between schizotypal personalities, and actual schizophrenia.
I think we were all talking about full blown schizophrenia and those who are prone to the disorder.
If you want to know why I seem to care, Its because I cant take psychadelics anymore. I noticed some very big changes in myself at around the age of 22(if you know what I mean) due to ayahuasca.
I learned things from these drugs that are by no means normal, and I know how weird they can get for normal people.
If I ever did ayahuasca again I would know even more about how prone to schizophrenia I am, or I would actually become very schizophrenic for life. Ayahuasca doesnt last for a week, tappering off for 2 years for most people. 2 years later I still see visuals.
If someone dosed me with salvia, id probably beat the shit out of them, and Im not a violent person.
If your friend wants to learn from it he will learn some things about his problem, some of it will almost certainly consist of things he was better off not muddying his condition with though.

If I were you id do all I can to make him not want to do that to himself.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#5261327 - 02/04/06 12:02 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

sorry, read someone elses post thinking it was you.

What are his symptoms exactly?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5261707 - 02/04/06 06:10 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I see a large number of people on this forum apparently get a kick out of seeing people perma-fried

I don't think that's it.
On the one hand you have extremes of the "harmless" philosophy, on the other hand you have a lot of our members who routinely take excessive risks.

Alot of us don't believe things will go wrong. Harm? It must be government lies, all of it. It doesnt ever happen.
Especially strong is this lobby in Cannabis circles on this website. Some people feel that anyone should use weed and anyone who objects is a brainwashed bastard.

---

Then there are people who routinely take excessive risks. An extreme thereof was one member we had to let go. There are painkillers that are mostly acetaminophen (lets say "aspirin") with a bit of codeine or a similar opioid.

You can easily separate the bulk of the crud ("aspirin") via a cold water extraction using two glasses, cold water and a coffee filter.

But no, our guy just swallowed them whole in frightening numbers because he could not be bothered to extract.

"eight grams of acetaminophen are no reason for concern" he stated, and started flaming and growling to defend that statement. When he was finally pressed hard enough to reveal what led to this lethal advice, it turned out he had read somewhere that "most people do not DIE below 8gr of acetaminophen".

That kook used pseudoscience and hostility to defend that the FATALITY BORDER in most people was "no reason for concern". And why?! because he couldn't be bothered to use two glasses and a coffee filter to do a five minute cold water extraction which would turn a lifethreateningly poisonous dose into a perfectly safe one. (if you have a habit)

Taking twenty-four regular strength Tylenol's worth of Acetaminophen is "no reason for concern" and was rabidly defended to the very end - his banning for consistently pushing potentially lethal advice to n00bs.

---

So you have people who see no harm and people who rabidly deny any harm.

It almost seems like a magical incantation that one has to make everything seem harmless to assure no harm will come to oneself.

If you choose to take what are assumed to be substantial risks then that is your own choice, but don't advise people to take substantial risks because you do.

People with psychosis and especially schizophrenia should NEVER take psychedelics. Even "harmless" pot is a notorious offender in causing relapses in schizophrenic people.

It is utterly misguided to recommend a schizophrenic to start using a psychedelic.

If you (anyone) recommend a schizophrenic to take psychedelics:

--The schizophrenic will pay the price
--Their family and loved ones pay the price
--The medical system is burdened by an unneeded flareup of a psychosis that may require hospitalization
--The psychedelic movement suffers for yet another TRUE casualty

And all this offset by a three-minute salvia high that isnt even recreational in most people.

I mean -damn- people! Theres lots of harm reduction work to be done here.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineCutter
other side guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oh Yeah land
    #5261764 - 02/04/06 07:06 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Very well said, your post should be stickied somewhere obvious.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #5261804 - 02/04/06 07:50 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:

And all this offset by a three-minute salvia high that isnt even recreational in most people.

Dude I don't think he seeks for recreation. think he wants his mind bach, or at least to find a meaning.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: Cutter]
    #5262155 - 02/04/06 10:48 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

your post should be stickied somewhere obvious

The joys of sarcasm :grin:

Quote:

Dude I don't think he seeks for recreation. think he wants his mind bach, or at least to find a meaning.

He probably will lose his mind further and whatever meaning he may find could well be clouded, obscured or erased by psychosis :frown:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5262729 - 02/04/06 02:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

People with psychosis and especially schizophrenia should NEVER take psychedelics.

I'm going to have to disagree with that absolutism.

I agree with what you're trying to do, i.e. prevent that guy and other psychotic individuals from self-medicating with hallucinogens, but there are times when psychotic and even severely schizophrenic patients can, and maybe even SHOULD, be administered psychedelics. Under the care of a properly trained psychedelic therapist, many psychotic individuals whose condition had resisted any other form of treatment available recovered completely after a series of LSD sessions (sometimes up to 100 or more) and did not relapse [Grof 1994, Blewett & Chwelos 1959]. The use of psychedelics in their cases was vital to their recovery and allowed the return of a fully functional life which they most likely wouldn't otherwise have had.

I realize that there is a HUGE difference between being administered a psychedelic in a clinical setting and taking it at home with a friend, but your statement wasn't qualified in any way.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is that most people don't know about the vast success that psychedelic therapy had from the early 50s to the early 70s. Psychedelic therapy wasn't a fringe practice back then, it was very much a part of mainstream psychiatry. Yet today, even most psychiatrists don't admit this. The practice died not because it wasn't effective but because of tightened legislation aimed at taking psychedelics off the street. Psychedelics are not only for healthy people. The list of illnesses which can be successfully treated, or even cured, by psychedelics is LONG. In the case of some of these illnesses, psychedelic therapy of some sort is the only known treatment or cure. It's a damn shame such promising research ended almost completely over 30 years ago. If so much was achieved in the first 30 years of psychedelic research, where would we be now after 30 more?

Yeah, there are the two groups of people you described but there are also the people who value accuracy. It's not certain that he will go insane by smoking salvia, and yes it is even possible that he will experience a lessening of psychotic symptoms as a result of it. Of course the risk is very high, and I join you in advising against the self-treatment of psychosis or schizophrenia with psychedelics. Just don't say "never".

Just as a footnote---and I hesitate to say this as it's probably going to be taken the wrong way but I will anyway---if salvia is a highly effective treatment for schizophrenia like the world has never seen, there is only one way at this point in time that we will ever find out, and that's by precisely the situation described in this thread. Sucks, doesn't it?

References:
Grof, Dr. Stanislav; LSD Psychotherapy, Hunter House (1994)
Blewett, Dr. D.B. & Chwelos, Dr. N.; Handbook for the Therapeutic Use of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide-25: Individual and Group Procedures, (1959)

Offlinedubbyah
Stranger
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #5262767 - 02/04/06 02:15 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, there was alot of successful work with LSD psychotherapy, and the reports on severely psychotic children under the age of 10 who were given controlled LSD sessions are VERY VERY interesting, and fairly successful too.. so to say to *never* give anyone with schizophrenia a psychadelic is wrong.

smoking salvia by himself isnt going to help him in the way he wants it do, though, thats why im trying to stop him..

he thinks it will heal him and cleanse his body and stop him from going to hell. he also wants to go to the amazon and do ayahuasca because he read it heals people.

also, to the person who said schizoid personality disorder and schizophrenia are the same thing, you're wrong.

I also think he has some type of nerve damage. He is EXTREMELY weak, extremely skinny, has involuntary twitches, and basically can't hold his arm up for more then 10 seconds... I told him to go to a hospital immediately, and he said he went to one before and they tapped into his brain and electrocuted him... I told him he *NEEDS* to go to a hospital, and he just said, "im going to go to the amazon to get healed".. Its an annoying situation, cause he always calls me and gets on aim and tells me how hes going to hell and tells me how he isnt normal and basically just describes typical schizophrenic symptoms, along with nerve damage/phyiscal symptoms. He's been given many different anti-psychotics, but he doesnt take them with any regularity, thus, there's no effect. He also is in a state of denial, and cant realize he has a mental disorder. He makes up psuedospiritual reasons for how he is, like the salvia was laced with arsenic, and how it stole his soul... The nerve damage and physical symptoms are of large concern, since it seems like hes dying, and only deteriorating..
He drinks lots of alcohol every day too, and basically refuses to help himself because hes in denial.

Edited by dubbyah (02/04/06 02:22 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#5262786 - 02/04/06 02:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dubbyah said:

smoking salvia by himself isnt going to help him any, though, thats why im trying to stop him..

you dont know that, sounds like he's fairly versed in psychedelics if he knows about shamanic use of ayahuasca.

Im battling with definitions here, i wonder what this kids life is like day to day.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinedubbyah
Stranger
Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: PDU]
    #5262799 - 02/04/06 02:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
Quote:

dubbyah said:

smoking salvia by himself isnt going to help him any, though, thats why im trying to stop him..

you dont know that, sounds like he's fairly versed in psychedelics if he knows about shamanic use of ayahuasca.

Im battling with definitions here, i wonder what this kids life is like day to day.

no, hes not well versed in psychadelics at all. hes misguided and not taking medication and has delusions. believe me when i say doing ayahuasca would NOT be good for him.

Edited by dubbyah (02/04/06 02:29 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#5265425 - 02/05/06 08:03 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

alright fair enough. perhaps ive been inconsiderate in the matter.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5265483 - 02/05/06 08:35 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

there was alot of successful work with LSD psychotherapy, and the reports on severely psychotic children under the age of 10 who were given controlled LSD sessions are VERY VERY interesting, and fairly successful too.. so to say to *never* give anyone with schizophrenia a psychadelic is wrong.

That's a misunderstanding. It's not the psychedelic that causes benefit, but rather the intensive therapy facilitated by the psychedelic outweighs the aggrevating effects of the drug on the psychosis.

Schizophrenic psychosis is mainly problematic because people have nothing to hold onto. this is aggrevated by psychedelics.

The basic message of psychedelics is: "what you thought was solid isn't solid at all so now you got to work at it." This is the wrong thing to do to a psychotic individual. They may well lose all grasp on sanity they have.

When we return from a trip we come to our senses. When he returns from his trip he returns to delusional schizophrenia.

So we should not give psychedelics and he should not take them on his own.

Grof's book "LSD Psychotherapy" when it comes to psychosis dictates a closed ward and a team of psychiatrists.

Quote:

he thinks it will heal him and cleanse his body and stop him from going to hell.

Antipsychotic drugs will do that, and these drugs wipe psychedelics out.

OK I shouldn't say never, but if you look at the circumstances it would be best if he didnt do it in 99.9% of cases.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5265690 - 02/05/06 10:33 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Quote:

there was alot of successful work with LSD psychotherapy, and the reports on severely psychotic children under the age of 10 who were given controlled LSD sessions are VERY VERY interesting, and fairly successful too.. so to say to *never* give anyone with schizophrenia a psychadelic is wrong.

That's a misunderstanding. It's not the psychedelic that causes benefit, but rather the intensive therapy facilitated by the psychedelic outweighs the aggrevating effects of the drug on the psychosis.

That may (possibly) be the case with something like MDMA, but try having a therapy session when your patient is on 1000ug of LSD... Or when they're completely catatonic. It's true that there is a lot of supervision involved and that the sessions are intensive but most of the actual therapy is done between sessions and focuses on assisting the patient with analyzing and integrating their experiences. Most of the time the patient is under the actual pharmacological influence of the LSD, they are advised to stay in a reclined position with eye shades and headphones, though they are allowed to do pretty much anything they please if they absolutely want to.

Quote:

The basic message of psychedelics is: "what you thought was solid isn't solid at all so now you got to work at it." This is the wrong thing to do to a psychotic individual.

"The basic message of psychedelics" could be the subject of several thousand threads, but even if what you say is true, calling into question the solidity of the reality they are holding onto might be the only way to get certain patients to release their hold on their "false reality" after which they can be guided back towards a vision of reality more conducive to constructive living.

Quote:

Antipsychotic drugs will do that, and these drugs wipe psychedelics out.

Anti-psychotic drugs are fairly effective at relieving symptoms of psychosis often with almost as debilitating side-effects. Still, they often enough don't work and they in general do not repress symptoms for much longer than they are used. There are plenty of negative side-effects of LSD psychotherapy but the end benefits are lasting.

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: my schizofrenic friend (who got it from doing hallucinogens) is going to smoke salvia [Re: DinahTheCat]
    #5280628 - 02/09/06 03:26 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

woah i never said that, i said itd be bad yo.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder