Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc.
    #5072759 - 12/16/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

hey everyone,
i seem to have a lot of contam problems. i thought i solved this by improving my techniques and builging a glove box. i think where i went wrong with the glove box was cutting the holes for the pvc pipes a little too wide (i could only find 4 and 1/4 inch diameter hole saws and my pvc pipe couplings were 4 inch outside diameter). on one hand i might be able to just get some wider pvc couplings and use silicone caulking to seal it, seems like it owuld be sturdier than the white stuff. i also could maybe make it a positive pressure box too. but i'm not too familiar with the specifics on how they work and how to build one. i understand that the idea is to get them blowing hepa filtered air into the box and you can have a small hole cut in the side to bring your tools in and our of.

i would really rather have a flow hood though. it seems that they would be a lot easier to work with than a glove box. i found a nice small flow hood that would be perfect for me if it is a good one. you can check it out if you go on ebay, type in a search for "flow hood", theres a link on the left hand side of the page under the matching categories that says health care, lab&life science, click that, then towards the bottom of that page click the link that says "portable hobby laminar flow hood" .

but $750 + shipping and handling for a 50 lb. package would be more about 3 of my pay checks. if it is more practical i will definately consider saving up for it. but i'm wondering how much more practical it will be to just build one.

if anyone can show me to a good place to get any of the individual supplies, mainly a strong enough fan and a good set of filters, i'd appreciate that a lot. i was thinking if i can get the filters, a good fan, the only other opbstacle would be some boards and something to use as the actual hood.

thanks

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (12/16/05 06:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #5072767 - 12/16/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

check the link...I don't think eBay likes it...happen all the time

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Edited by Snaggletooth (12/16/05 06:21 PM)

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5072786 - 12/16/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

umm, well, i have no idea what you just said lol. can you translate that for me? i'm dense :smile:

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #5072797 - 12/16/05 06:22 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

haha...my bad "link" not "like"....

--------------------

Atheist Chat

OfflineJoeyShmoey
PowerStroker
Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5072877 - 12/16/05 06:54 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #5072901 - 12/16/05 07:02 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

you can build one cheaper...

http://www.fungifun.org/flowhood/?PHPSESSID=bfa9b676b32d7de0e398de5a8794ca1d

if you do a search there are other threads on how to make other types of flowhoods.

I'd build my own if I was you.
I'd get a 24" x 24" hepa filter off ebay for less than $75.00 or buy a 24" x 48" from http://www.filtersrx.com/sizes.asp?CAT=HEPHP9
And pick up a blower motor from Grainger that matches the hepa filter...for around $195.75 http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611630999
Get a 1/2" or 3/4" sheet of plywood with wood finish on one side for the outside.
And use a stick of 1" x 1" lumber for the braces.

and I'd make it something like this...

good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: JoeyShmoey]
    #5072910 - 12/16/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I don't like my golvebox either, though it is positive pressure...

I would LOVE a flow-hood but don't have the room...and it would be a little hard to store when not in use and a little hard to conceal

Though I don't know if that pacific item is worth that but they can be expensive to make (high grade parts) or buy...so

I am suffering with the glove box with it's limited space...

I had a 4' PVC, glove, fan, heppa...I could not make the gloves work....at all

Removed them...good fan pressure, keeps the air moving out..

I would try to narrow down the problem before you lay down that type of money...

Would hate to have spent all that money and still have a problem...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #5072932 - 12/16/05 07:13 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lordoftheshroomz said:
"portable hobby laminar flow hood" .
but $750 + shipping and handling for a 50 lb. package would be more about 3 of my pay checks.

you can build your own for less than $700 if you buy all new components and pay
someone to build it for you, currently I'm redeveloping some I've lucked up on,
I'm trying to move away from glass and use polycarbonates or acrylics and sheet
aluminum, this keeps the weight in a true 'portable' range, no one wants to lug
around 50lbs of plywood...

using cherry plywood and a few salvaged parts (blower) I paid a little over
$200 for everything to build one for a friend. I recomend birch plywood because
it's a little lighter than most of the other hard wood plywoods, it takes a
finish quite well with a minimum of sanding if any at all, and
building it your self you can make it any size you want , that will enable
you to work comfortably with any materials, supplies and instruments

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #5072960 - 12/16/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

BTW... this is definately not a $750 flowhood

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5072963 - 12/16/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

That's sharp man.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: musher_420]
    #5073013 - 12/16/05 07:38 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Nor is it laminar flow. Looks like a paper furnace filter.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: flow hoods: opinion on one i found on ebay, practicality of building one, etc. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5073143 - 12/16/05 08:18 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

lol yea, idk, i was definately going ot look further into it before i went and dropped the $800 or so on it IF i was gonna do that.

i'd have more fun building one anyway. the only downside would be possibly fucking it up, but that would probably only happen if i was doing some serious improvising with parts lol. since i have an income now, i can afford better stuff.

heres a good question for me to start with: what is laminar flow as opposed to any other type of flow hood?

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5073160 - 12/16/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I found this

Smooth or straight...no turbulent..air flow i guess

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Edited by Snaggletooth (12/16/05 08:27 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #5073277 - 12/16/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

=
Clean room ceiling unit with built in blower & speed control($125)
New still plastic sealed 6X24X48 Filter was $100. Both off eBay.
Built my own pre/filter out of filter material on hand.

Bolted on 9 legs(1X4 wood)to filter housing, skinned legs with one sheet of kitchen laminate paneling, 1 sheet of glass as a work surface total $70. Build it so legs & panels could be detached for easy moving & storage. So, I came in at under $300. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#5073325 - 12/16/05 09:09 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

thanks snaggle tooth and everyone else

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#5073470 - 12/16/05 09:45 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

ok i hope this link works this time.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/AstroCel-HCX-High-Ef...1QQcmdZViewItem
i found a 2ft x 2ft x 11.5 in HEPA filter. they want $25 starting bid, no current bids on it yet.

i was thinking of using a 300-400 cfm blower, but im having a bit of difficulty understanding exactly how to match a filter and a blower.

i was wondering if a blower like this one: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611757255&ccitem= would work out ok with the filter in the link above.

--------------------

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5073493 - 12/16/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

LMAO..nope..but I looked around...is it the AstroCel HCX something or the other...

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#5073512 - 12/16/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

lol snaggle tooth, now i dont think this is your fault at all, but i once again didn understand what u wrote right there. i gather that ure saying that that blower wont work with the filter i chose, but when u said:
Quote:

..but I looked around...is it the AstroCel HCX something or other...

i didnt understand what you meant by that. lol imagine how hard it will be for me to understand what ure saying in about an hour, cuz i jus ate up some of my boomers :laugh:

--------------------

Offlineboosthappyvw
Stranger
    #5073560 - 12/16/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

laminar flow is a smooth flow of air if there is terbulance inside the hood it could create a negative preasure wich sucks air from outside
try to sheild 2/3 of the front so air only come out the bottom and have air move from the top down
one of ebay is only worth it if you were going to do alot of pig poo or casing like 5lb or more a week
i do everything in my livingroom while watching tv and just were gloves and spray lysol and never get contams until after the 2nd flush unless i spray to much

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5073574 - 12/16/05 10:12 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

:bongload:

I was referring to the HEPA filter...the link does not work...

I looked on Ebay for, 2ft x 2ft x 11.5 HEPA filter and found that one
the Name of the filter was like Astro Cel HCX....

it looks good...but was wondering what should go first

Get the filter and then get a fan for it

or the other way around...I don't know but I will be making one my own, so good thing to know.

I don't know about the calculation for that but would also be interested in to know

:thumbup: :bongload:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Edited by Snaggletooth (12/16/05 10:25 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix