Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 *DELETED*
    #5066345 - 12/15/05 09:36 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Plutonium

Reason for deletion: "ridicule"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: Tien]
    #5066376 - 12/15/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, it does make a lot of sense. But you have to take it in context, because there have been many, many predictions like this before, and I would imagine that some of them too may have correlated with actual astronomical events.

Doesn't mean that anything is going to happen, or for that matter not happen, per se. But if governments suddenly started preparing for a doomsday based on Mayan prophecies, they probably wouldn't get much praise. It's all about politics.

Personally, I'm hopeful that some drastic change in consciousness will occur.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066387 - 12/15/05 09:47 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i see where you are coming from with this, and I do believe a polar reversal is generally close from my studies. (although Its hard to specify close from my bliefs)

But from what I understand it isnt necessarily known what 2012 actually indicates, some believe it indicates mass changes negatively, such as extinction, others believe it indicates a period of a golden age of enlightenment.

As much as we've learned, I don't feel we have enough information to hold down any one theory as to what that date signifies.
It could be one or the other, or may very well be both.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5066439 - 12/15/05 10:02 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The New World order will come about before then, don't worry.

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

Loc: Here, there, EVERYWHERE
    #5066450 - 12/15/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

:twitchy: :shiftyeyes:

I kinda believe in the theory behind this... but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I work a modern job with no connection to a primitive life... but when I'm at home, i love knowing i can grow my own food, psychedelics, and create a livable shelter. I've created a kiva out behind our house too... It's amazing how warm underground sheltering stays, even in 0 degree weather. I think it's important to know how to live without modern technology, who can say it'll always be there... and if you live in hurricane country, you know what I mean... after the power has been out a couple weeks, you'll notice a big difference on how you live your life. :laugh:

--------------------
........someday I'll find it.

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: mediman0078]
    #5066481 - 12/15/05 10:15 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mediman0078 said:
:twitchy: :shiftyeyes:

I kinda believe in the theory behind this... but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I work a modern job with no connection to a primitive life... but when I'm at home, i love knowing i can grow my own food, psychedelics, and create a livable shelter. I've created a kiva out behind our house too... It's amazing how warm underground sheltering stays, even in 0 degree weather. I think it's important to know how to live without modern technology, who can say it'll always be there... and if you live in hurricane country, you know what I mean... after the power has been out a couple weeks, you'll notice a big difference on how you live your life. :laugh:

I really doubt though that an underground shelter will withstand a flip in our magnetic field. I'm seriously starting to think that this is what happened to the dinosaurs.

It's a scary thought. There will be no place to run, no place to hide. Not under oceans, not under ground, and probably not even in the sky. Destruction of ridiculous magnitude.

The human race will probably be lucky if there is ANYONE left alive..or maybe I'm just really paranoid :rolleyes:

Pluto

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5066491 - 12/15/05 10:16 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

How would a flip in the earth's magnetic field destroy anything? Wouldn't it just make compasses point in the opposite direction?

OfflineMcKennaFan200
AmateurGairologist

#5066501 - 12/15/05 10:19 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Why should we be concerned?!

"Massive earthquakes will demolish all buildings on the planet, and instigate colossal tsunamis and intense volcanic activity. In fact, the Earth's crust will shift, sweeping continents thousands of miles away from their present positions."

Sounds good to me!  Mother nature having her revenge, I think it will be quite the show if this ever happens. :crazy2:

--------------------

"It seemed to me culture is a shabby lie. Or at least this culture is a shabby lie. If you work like a dog, you get 260 channels of bad television and a German automobile. What kind of perfection is that?"-McKenna

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #5066502 - 12/15/05 10:19 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

No offence, but I'd love to see some real scientific evidence for this -Not just a Mayan prediction. If anyone can post a link, I'd be most grateful.

It's been 700,000 years since the last magnetic reversal. To my knowledge neither the Mayans nor the Egyptians were around at that time, so they really can't have records of such a disaster.

(Also, a magnetic reversal will NOT cause the earth to tilt 180 degrees on it's axis.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong or if I misunderstood something.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: DNKYD]
    #5066511 - 12/15/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

a polar reversal from my understanding, would increase cases of cancer, and mutate and mess with our genetics. I dont think it will neccesarily kill us in one big sweep, but more likely event in our inability to have offspring. This is all from what I understand, perhaps there are other effects.

Basically during the process of the reversal the magnetic field that protects us is down, the outward magnetism and inwardn travel in different directions...which may be neat cuz we'll see aurora borealis everwhere it travels!

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: ummikko]
    #5066513 - 12/15/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It's all a bunch of bat-shit nutty mythical (AKA: religious) bullshit. People have some sort of fascination with the end of days. If they're anticpating it so eagerly they should just grab a gun and simulate their own "end of days".

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: McKennaFan200]
    #5066516 - 12/15/05 10:24 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

McKennaFan200 said:
"Massive earthquakes will demolish all buildings on the planet, and instigate colossal tsunamis and intense volcanic activity. In fact, the Earth's crust will shift, sweeping continents thousands of miles away from their present positions."

Except crustal plates move somewhere around 4-8cm/year...so I'm not really worried about continents zooming around the earth...

I doubt this will happen at all, and if it does, it won't be to the predicted magnitude

EDIT:
from the mayan page : "On December 21, 2012, there will be an "alignment between the galactic and solar planes." The winter solstice sun will "conjunct the Milky Way." This is supposed to open up some sort of "cosmic sky portal." ...

^ That just seems WAY too far fetched on my part.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying the earth will undergo a magnetic reversal, i'm saying it will not blow us all up)

Edited by memes (12/15/05 10:28 AM)

Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: peepeepottypants]
    #5066518 - 12/15/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I dont have a link but I was watching a NOVA special on Magnetic reversals, and I have also looked up information online, and read books that breif them, indicating we're long overdue for one.

Basically what I've learned is that the magnetic field has reduced about 6% in the last century, which indicates a polar reversal, as well as recent evidence showing inward megnetism in areas of outward magnetism, which is also indicative of a polar reversal.

Perhaps NOVA has a website

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5066528 - 12/15/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

So if, like ummikko said, there was a polar reversal 700,000 years ago..... how the fuck did shit survive that?

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066535 - 12/15/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ummikko said:
No offence, but I'd love to see some real scientific evidence for this -Not just a Mayan prediction. If anyone can post a link, I'd be most grateful.

It's been 700,000 years since the last magnetic reversal. To my knowledge neither the Mayans nor the Egyptians were around at that time, so they really can't have records of such a disaster.

(Also, a magnetic reversal will NOT cause the earth to tilt 180 degrees on it's axis.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong or if I misunderstood something.

There has been 3 polar shifts in the last 100,000 years.

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066539 - 12/15/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

because life always finds way. perhaps the mutations it causes won't be so negetive, perhaps they will just cause us to be asexual and bud offspring. Or perhaps we will be cleared out for the next species who has been changed in such a way to have their time at the top of the foodchain. If theres one thing I feel mostly strongly about, it is that long after humans have left life will find a way, whatever form that may be

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5066541 - 12/15/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

So it's even less of a problem than what people are babbling about. Nothing's gonna happen except for our compasses pointing somewhere else. Won't change a damn thing. People just like thinking about the worst possible scenario because deep down inside they hate the human race (and who wouldn't?)

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #5066544 - 12/15/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i say thers gonna be a hurrican or some kind of natural disaster that kills us all... just like the dinasours... its probably gonna be a huge earthquake and all these volcanos start erupting out of nowhere...

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066552 - 12/15/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I wouldnt say its a small problem, the lack of the barrier of a magnetic field will allow things like UV rays to be much stronger. The magnetic field is pretty important to the stability of our being.

When I have more time I'll look up more info and post the links

Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: AliceDee]
    #5066556 - 12/15/05 10:36 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

remember, we still dont know exactly what killed the dinosaurs

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5066561 - 12/15/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It was Richard Simmons

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #5066563 - 12/15/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

not exactly but we know it was a natural disaster...

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

#5066570 - 12/15/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Plutonium said:

I really doubt though that an underground shelter will withstand a flip in our magnetic field. I'm seriously starting to think that this is what happened to the dinosaurs.

Pluto

Well, I dunno... i just don't believe that anything where I'm at will be moving or shifting very much. There's geological records taken from the Permian basin that date back to when New Mexico was under the pacific ocean millions of years ago, and nothing in those records indicates huge land mass shifts or even much volcanic activity.... it was more of a reference to living without help, which could happen if something super disaterous occured. I feel that if some super disater occured, those with the knowledge to live without a supermarket and central heating and air fare a better chance of surviving a while than those whose lives fall apart if their cell phones loose signal.

--------------------

Offlineummikko

#5066577 - 12/15/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm.

The reversals do not occur regularly, so we really can't be overdue.
I'll quote a geology book (Stephen Marshak: Earth -Portrait of a Planet, 2001) on the topic:

Quote:

The lenghts of different polarity chrons, the time intervals between reversals, are different. For example, we have had a normal-polarity chron for about the last 700,000 years. Before that, there was a reverse-polarity chron that lasted 1.75 million years. The youngest four polarity chrons are named Brunhes(current), Matuyama, Gauss and Gilbert. There have been some short-duration reversals (less than 200,000 years long) within the chrons. These shorter reversals are called polarity subchrons.

There were two normal subchrons in Matuyama. Brunhes has yet to see one.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066580 - 12/15/05 10:42 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

are we sure about that? Define natural? Is it natural in the course of the earths dynamics or the course of the universes dynamics, cuz there is A LOT of natural shit that could mess up the earth in the course of all things.

Invisibleadrug

#5066584 - 12/15/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The Mayan culture is dead. The Egyptian culture is dead. Why should I believe a bunch of predictions from some long dead civilizations?? They were wrong about many other things, why not this?

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: adrug]
    #5066590 - 12/15/05 10:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

if the world ends, i'll be high when we go down. and then the government can blame marijuana

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066591 - 12/15/05 10:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I was under that impression, from "A brief history of nearly everything" by bill bryson. WHich isnt very in depth, since he attempts to explain the history and course of everything in only 500 some pages. I believe he did actually say "we're long overdue"

But, I'm always in a state of education, so I will take that into account. Thank you for the correction

Offlineummikko

#5066593 - 12/15/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Plutonium said:
There has been 3 polar shifts in the last 100,000 years.

That's called an apparent polar-wander path. It is caused by continental drift/plate tectonics. It has NOTHING to do with polar reversals -they are a magnetic anomaly.

--------------------

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066608 - 12/15/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

If you think that way about it then why should believe anything from any culture, it all dies some way in the end.

The Mayan's "death" is very mysterious. Not much is known as to what happened to it, from what I understand

Invisibleadrug

#5066610 - 12/15/05 10:49 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Exactly. Why should I?

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

#5066613 - 12/15/05 10:49 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Big enough volcano blows somewhere and **poof** instant winter for a large portion of the globe until it settles... happened in the early 1800's. Large enough rock collides with the planet and **poof** huge blast, followed by years of winter... there's things out there I fear more than magnetic shifts. 1 year of winter could easily spark world wars over commodities as simple as bread....

--------------------

Edited by mediman0078 (12/15/05 10:51 AM)

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066626 - 12/15/05 10:52 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Then do you not believe anything, knowledge most often holds a basis and has arisen out of a culture in some way,

*A man who stand for nothing, will fall for anything* malcom X

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #5066627 - 12/15/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

There's so much hype about 2012. I went to a small music festival here in Scotland last november and in the "goa tent" there was a lot of talk of it. So many people think something might happen.

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#5066631 - 12/15/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I don't believe anything that can't be proven to me.

But if you want to live in a fantasy world, by all means...

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: Revelation]
    #5066633 - 12/15/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

People were shitting their pants over 2000.....

--------------------

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066634 - 12/15/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know what you're deriving from my conversation that is evidence that I live in a fantasy world

Just about nothing in this world can be proven.

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

#5066653 - 12/15/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Copied directly from 2012 survival strategy:

Unfortunately, you need money in order to survive. Without money there is little chance of survival. If this is your case, you will find in this website a list of other possible survival places. You can go there before the cataclysm. Of course your survival chance will be a lot smaller than that of the well-organized group. But it is always better than doing nothing.

Understand that it would be impossible to enter our central group if you have few materials or none at all. The situation during and after the cataclysm will be so precarious, that we won?t be able to provide for other survivors. We will hardly be self-sufficient! Please take that as definite! Do not have any illusions! Without your own effort your chances of survival are terribly small!

GIVE US YOUR MONEY AND YOU CAN SURVIVE WITH US. :lol:
Sounds like someone got a big chunk of prime real estate and is eager to farm it out to doomsday believers with money... :rolleyes:

Still an interesting read...

--------------------

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066659 - 12/15/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

If everything was going to be destroyed why the hell do they want money

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066668 - 12/15/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Theoretically speaking...something BIG has to happen for Earth's magnetic fields to flip.
Experiments have been done with bi-polar magnets where they were exposed to lightning. As soon as the magnet was struck, the poles flipped. Same applies to earth.

...Except there isn't any lightning to hit the earth. However, the sun will help us out with that one. Since 1999 our warm star has become REALLY active, throwing record-breaking flares into space. These flares usually cause "aurora borealis"..or the Northern Lights.
So one of these days, magnetic energy from a huge solar flare WILL hit the earth and cause a magnetic shift.

The next few decades were predicted to be "quite" for the sun. I don't know about you, but I see a totally different picture.

Solar flares from 2003/2004/2005

Pluto

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #5066682 - 12/15/05 11:05 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

so what happens when the polars shift?? do we start falling towards the sky??

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066692 - 12/15/05 11:07 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

great information pluto.

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066696 - 12/15/05 11:08 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

No one really knows what the fuck is gonna happen.
I can tell you one thing for sure, when you flush your toilet after the polar reversal; the water will spin counter-clock wise.

And for the Australians it will swirl clock-wise.

Pluto

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066709 - 12/15/05 11:10 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

THats the scariest part of all

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

#5066712 - 12/15/05 11:10 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

peepeepottypants said:
remember, we still dont know exactly what killed the dinosaurs

There's really strong evidence that it was in fact a meteor and a volcanic chain reaction because of it. Apparently there are minerals that are only found in meteorites such as biranite, that have been found in soil layers dating to the end of the cretaceous period.

Or at least thats what they teach us in school.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: Gillette]
    #5066728 - 12/15/05 11:14 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

good to know.

What do you study if you dont mind me asking, it seems like your getting a real valuable education if thats information from your field

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066734 - 12/15/05 11:15 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

adrug said:
The Mayan culture is dead. The Egyptian culture is dead. Why should I believe a bunch of predictions from some long dead civilizations?? They were wrong about many other things, why not this?

Anyone who can build a place with 3000 rooms and encrypt mathematic equations UNKNOWN to our civilization into the walls is worth beleiving.

Pluto

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

#5066743 - 12/15/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Actually I'm an education/humanities major, thats just from some random Geography, turned Geology class I'm taking.

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066752 - 12/15/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

AliceDee said:
so what happens when the polars shift?? do we start falling towards the sky??

polar shift doesnt mean the end of gravity, heh.

Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Polar Reversal/Mass Extiniction/Ice Age in 2012 [Re: Gillette]
    #5066755 - 12/15/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

still a very respectful major. good to hear your retaining the unrelated material, I can honestly say I didnt remember SHIT from my Bio class, but im not very scientific minded, and my teacher was way too smart for me to stay on track with his thinking

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066767 - 12/15/05 11:22 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

"November 4th 2003 saw the most powerful Solar flare eruption (see animation below) on record. This measured a colossal X 28 on the Solar Richter scale. For those unaquainted with the magnitude of Solar Flares it may be difficult to comprehend the extreme force of such an explosion which is the largest ever recorded in the Solar System."

Pluto

Invisibleadrug

#5066778 - 12/15/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

How can you tell us this for sure?

Will we even be using toilets if its the end of the world?

Maybe you should think about what you're saying before you say it.

This whole thread is ridiculous.

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066784 - 12/15/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, I can tell your FOR SURE. YOUSE YOUR HEAD..MAGNETISM

When you piss, your urine will swirl the other way too...lmao.

Pluto

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066791 - 12/15/05 11:26 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

and if this thread is "ridiculous"....why not stop posting here?

Pluto

Invisibleadrug

#5066812 - 12/15/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Because someone has to counter this daydream with some reality.

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066813 - 12/15/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

second that

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066818 - 12/15/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

What reality are you bringing?

you have offered no information, you just make fun of everyone for what they are saying?

When you "counter" our "daydreaming" with your own evidence, then perhaps someone will consider your remarks a contribution, until then, they ad nothing

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066819 - 12/15/05 11:33 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

the topic may be a little far fetched - but polar reversals happen, we just dont know what symptoms come with them.

I find it all very intriguing

Invisibleadrug

#5066825 - 12/15/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, first of all, how can you explain the accuracy of Mayan knowledge of something that has never happened before?

What is this "something big" you speak of that would bring this poleshift about?

Have you been reading Zetatalk again?

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066829 - 12/15/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Cmon pluto, don't delete it because of one person,

Many others are finding your thread and contribution very interesting and informative.

I vote you reinstate your post! if not, I understand

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

#5066840 - 12/15/05 11:38 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Well, if you really want to get into ridiculous....

and this may discredit my education...

Lumeria and Atlantis are both said to have disappeared due to electro-magnetic shifts causing natural disasters.

ps. I think this thread really belongs in S&P or or MR&P

--------------------

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066852 - 12/15/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

lol
I don't know any more than any of you.
I know that the Mayan calendar is coming to the end, and Egyptians were concerned with the same date. That's all.
I also know for a fact that the sun keeps getting more active.
That's all.
The rest is anyones guess.

Pluto

Edited by Plutonium (12/15/05 11:47 AM)

Invisibleadrug

#5066855 - 12/15/05 11:42 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

So you're just guessing, which has no basis in accuracy whatsoever. Got it!

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5066863 - 12/15/05 11:43 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Wow..you don't have to be a dickhead about it.

Stranger
 User Gallery

#5066874 - 12/15/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Because their calender has been accurate on other things, what we are debating is the end of their longterm calender. They had a rather accurate system of dating things.

the something big is what we are discussing, Im sure you can find information on what happens when there is poleshift, seeing as its happened before (although not during the course of human life)

I dont partake in zetatalk or know what it is.

I dont have the time to really search the internet for information right now, cuz I need to go for a final. but i would encourage you to research the information on your own. I respect your skepticism, seeing as we should not believe everything we hear, but I do feel you've been rather close minded on this matter, seeing as this is the first time you asked for information rather than ridicule it

Now off for my final

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5067000 - 12/15/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Do you want to explain wtf the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field has to do with the direction of a toilet's flushing? At first I thought you were confused, but now I'm starting to think this whole thread is just a big joke...

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5067008 - 12/15/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

When the calendar we use today ends, what happens? It starts over at 01/01. Why would some long-since-dead civilization's calendar cause cataclysmic earth-shattering events to unfold when it ends?

There's always going to be doomsday preachers and I will always laugh in their face and go about my way. It's better if I'm with friends, though, because then I can point and laugh with a group of people.

Invisibleadrug

#5067019 - 12/15/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DNKYD said:
When the calendar we use today ends, what happens? It starts over at 01/01. Why would some long-since-dead civilization's calendar cause cataclysmic earth-shattering events to unfold when it ends?

Thank god, someone with some common sense.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5067029 - 12/15/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think it was renamed to "un-common sense", seeing has how a great majority of the human population has seemed to misplace theirs.

Offlineummikko

#5067224 - 12/15/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Dammit.
I liked this thread. Not because of the ridicule, but the actual debate.

End of the world aside, I'd really like to learn more about solar flares causing polar reversals. After all, the mechanism by which polar reversals occur remains unknown. IMO solar flares is not a bad guess.

A few more words about this picture, to clear confusion:

When geologists measured paleomagnetism(the record of ancient magnetism preserved in igneous rock) in basalt that had formed millions of years ago they found that the dipoles representing this paleomagnetism did not point to the present-day magnetic poles of the Earth. Based on this finding, they concluded that Earth's magnetic poles must slowly change position,"wander" over time. This interpretation was wrong.

When polar-wander paths were calculated, it was noted that rocks from different continents produced entirely different paths for the poles.
This could not be. The polar-wander theory was abandoned, and the theory of continental drift was born: While the poles stay fixed, continents drift in relation to the poles and to each other.
That's why it's called apparent polar wander path -It does indeed appear as if the pole was wandering.

So the picture is not about the movement of the south pole, but the movement of Antarctica in relation to the south pole. :smile:

edited:typos

--------------------

Edited by ummikko (12/15/05 01:30 PM)

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

#5067683 - 12/15/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You think the whole continent has moved that much in (on the long side of what's been discussed) 700,000 years? In that pattern? I don't think there would be that much drift... that has to be hundreds of miles.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #5067793 - 12/15/05 03:48 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

im very interested in the suns activities sa of lately. every day i watch the poes sattelite info.

i was out watching the sky after the X28 flare on nov 4th it was amazing.....

i saw the ones last winter too.

and we are supposed to be on the slow side of the 11 year solar cycle....

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlineummikko

#5067877 - 12/15/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mediman0078 said:
You think the whole continent has moved that much in (on the long side of what's been discussed) 700,000 years? In that pattern? I don't think there would be that much drift... that has to be hundreds of miles.

No. Continental drift and polar reversals are two separate things that don't affect each other.

The continents are moving all the time at a very slow speed (about the speed your fingernail grow). The magnetic poles don't move. The Earth's magnetic field does not move the continents. Google "plate tectonics" if you're interested in how and why continents move.

BUT every now and then, between a few hundred thousand years and a couple of million years, the Earth's polarity is reversed. This occurs relatively quickly in geological terms -it presumably takes something from tens to a few thousand years for the shift to complete. This has no effect on the geography of Earth and it doesn't affect continental drift. The poles don't move during the shift -only the Earth's magnetic field "transforms" and changes direction.

Oh, and don't really have opinions or theories of my own about this -I'm only doing a minor in geology. I'm not suggesting anything, merely repeating what I've read in textbooks.

--------------------

Offlineummikko

#5067954 - 12/15/05 04:21 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I had a second look at the picture. Yeah, you're absolutely right. Continents don't move NEAR that fast. It takes tens of millions of years for movement of that magnitude to happen. That picture is screwed. Anyway that doesn't affect my point about the polar-wander paths. I'll try to find a better picture about it.

--------------------

Edited by ummikko (12/15/05 04:30 PM)

Offlineummikko

#5068052 - 12/15/05 04:54 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Found something. This is from the Ordovician era(roughly 500 million years ago) to the end of the Jurassic (140 million years ago) if I interpreted it correctly:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals