Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOneWhoHasSeen
Temporal Anomaly
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang
    #5063521 - 12/14/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I have been thinking a lot about these three things, and I would like to discuss something of a breakthrough I have had, and hope you can give me some feedback. But first, I would like to define the above for those who don't know them (people who are used to this kind of thing might want to skip ahead a bit).

Entropy:
There are a lot of definitions of entropy floating around, especially because people started using the word for non-scientific ideas. However, this definition is generally accepted by the scientific community.

Entropy is a measure of the dispersal of energy. It measures how "concentrated" or "dilute" energy is.

The Big Bang:
This theory usually comes in two parts. The first is generally accepted, the second is highly debated.

First, the universe exploded from an infinitesimally small point in space were all matter and energy come from. Over a period of some 15 billion years, the universe finally expanded to the size it is right now. We have observed the universe expanding from a central point, and thus the theory was born.

Secondly, the rate at which the universe is expanding is decreasing, it is decelerating. The only reasonable account for this is that the gravity of the known universe is pulling on itself, pulling back toward the central explosion point. If the mass of the universe is large enough (which we believe it is, since only 10% of the universe is visible, the other 90% is believed to be dark matter, which can not be viewed by any known means), this collapse will result in an ultra massive black hole forming at the exact location that the Big Bang originally started. It will suck all energy and matter into it, eventually the gravity will become so massive that it will shrink in size to an intestinally small point in space, the original status of the big bang before the explosion...

The Second Law of Thermodynamics
Now, the second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of the universe is always increasing. Or, in other words, the energy of the universe is always becoming more dilute. This is easy to picture if you look at a star, it pumps out large amounts of energy in the form of heat and photons. This energy is sometimes stopped by stellar bodies, such as planets, but the vast majority of it is dumped into empty space, becoming more and more dilute as time progresses.

However, this is here were things really get interesting. If the entropy of the universe is always increasing, always becoming more dilute, then an implosion (or collapse if you will) of the universe must be impossible, because that would result in a CONCENTRATION of the energy of the universe, meaning that entropy would be DECREASING.

On the other hand, however, there is nothing stopping the deceleration of the universe! There is no negative force outside of our universe driving it to continually expand. The only reason it is expanding now is because of the original explosive force of the big bang.

So really, we are only left with two choices. Either A. the second law of thermodynamics is incorrect (this can't be, as we have proven it beyond a doubt, that is why it is a law and not a theory), or B. at some point and time the laws of thermodynamics as we know them will change, probably will reverse. This is the point when the universe stops expanding, and starts collapsing.

And if B is true, what kind of effect on the laws of physics would it have? Many believe that entropy is how we view time, both time and entropy are always increasing. Thus, if at some point and time the entropy of the universe is always decreasing, we would view time oppositely. Meaning that we would start going backwards instead of going forwards. If you think about it in that way, then is time is ALREADY going backwards?

Here is were I am really having trouble getting a grasp on the ramifications of my theory. Can someone either debunk me or help me out with this? What exactly does all of this mean?

--------------------
A Temporal Anomaly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang [Re: OneWhoHasSeen]
    #5063667 - 12/14/05 06:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

IF there was a big bang, it was not wat scientists think of it now.

more likely, there never was such a thing.

from a standpoint of logic the big bang makes absolutly no sense.
or at least, no one tires to explain it the mechanisms of it.

"First, the universe exploded from an infinitesimally small point in space were all matter and energy come from."

there is no such thing as infitnitly small, beyond the concept that is.
it is not a "real" tangible thing, its like saying "what is nothingess?" ITS NOTHING. NOT THERE. NO-THING. NULL.

"FIRST" the univrese exploded? an explosion is a REACTION.
that means it was not first.
the idea of cause and effect is one of the first expressions//examples of duality.

this notion creates an infinite cycle of regression.
it(big bang theory) is not a theory of creation, nor an explanation of why or how things SUPOSEDLY are.
it is a JOKE. or a trick maybe.

if the universe is expanding, wat is it expanding into?

physics are not explanitive of reality, they are descriptive. they are subjective descrpitions. they are symbolic representations of wat appears to be happening.
they say, "atoms do this, and in this case they do this."
"if this happens, then this should happen(because thats wat we think we saw before."

they do not explain how anything happens.

science, like religeon. is a JOKE.
for the moment anyway.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Edited by BleaK (12/14/05 06:21 PM)

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #5063676 - 12/14/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

A couple things:

The Second Law states that Entropy always increases on average in any closed system. It can and does decrease for periods of time, as long as the average entropy increases over time.

If the entropy of the universe is always increasing, always becoming more dilute, then an implosion (or collapse if you will) of the universe must be impossible, because that would result in a CONCENTRATION of the energy of the universe, meaning that entropy would be DECREASING.

Not so, in this case. Entropy depends on the current state of a system only - not the state it was previously in.

Think of a box, filled with hydrogen gas. The MAXIMUM entropy the box can contain is when the hydrogen gas evenly fills the box. Now shrink the box down to half its original size. How can the entropy increase when it was already at the maximum? It can't. The hydrogen gas may be at a higher density in the now smaller box, but it will still evenly fill the box - that is the highest state of entropy possible for that box, no matter what its size is. The same should hold true for the Universe as a whole.

On the other hand, however, there is nothing stopping the deceleration of the universe! There is no negative force outside of our universe driving it to continually expand. The only reason it is expanding now is because of the original explosive force of the big bang.

Our most recent measurements actually show the acceleration to be increasing. This has revived Einstein's old idea of the "cosmological constant" - a form of repulsive gravity that only acts over extremely large distances. Others have proposed that the force of gravity itself becomes repulsive over extreme distance scales and that it is only attractive on smaller ones (though still quite large).

At any rate, it is becoming clear that the expansion of the universe is not slowing down at all.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang [Re: BleaK]
    #5063711 - 12/14/05 06:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Those are common misconceptions, due to a misuse of words.

When we say the early universe "exploded" we are certainly not speaking of it in the same sense as we speak of gunpowder exploding. By "exploding", we are trying to indicate the incredibly rapid expansion the early universe experienced - it went from something smaller than the nucleus of an atom to the size of a basketball in just under one second.

Also, the Big Bang theory is not a theory of creation at all - nor was it ever meant to be. It is a theory used to describe the very early universe, however it says nothing at all about the moment of creation itself. We can use the laws of physics, as we currently know them, to probe backwards to about 10^-43 seconds after creation...beyond that point our best theories break down and give nonsense answers.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang [Re: trendal]
    #5063745 - 12/14/05 06:25 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

my musings were of cause and effect, and duality.
my points still stand with the language modifications you bring up.

and as u stated;
"We can use the laws of physics, as we currently know them, to probe backwards to about 10^-43 seconds after creation...beyond that point our best theories break down and give nonsense answers."

nonsense indeed.

AND. my statements on the nature of science and phyisics in peticular have been left unchallenged.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#5063755 - 12/14/05 06:27 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Depending on the amount of hydrogen gas inside the container and the size of the container... won't the gas group together forming clusters of gas, which of each has varying entropy in their individual systems? Isn't this what entropy is? Increasing complexity through molecular interaction? Or is it the Universe reaching a constant in which the temperature is displaced evenly everywhere?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang [Re: psyka]
    #5063852 - 12/14/05 06:41 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

No, the gas would not group together forming clusters of gas. The entropy of a closed system approaches a maximum value.

OfflineOneWhoHasSeen
Temporal Anomaly
 User Gallery

#5063857 - 12/14/05 06:42 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

BleaK,

If you look at the equation E = MC(2), you can see how energy can be converted into mass and back again. Matter is just another form of energy, just as heat and radiation are. Since energy has absolutely no mass, then it can be in a point infinitely small, at least as small as the sub-quantum level. Then, if a large portion of this energy were converted into matter (some believe God to be the catalyst, those who believe in the string theory believe that this energy came from the extra dimensions at the sub-quantum level), it could then expand from this infinitely small point to a huge point very very rapidly.

I think that an infinite cycle of regression is also a great way to explain how the big bang works, but it can not be true if the second law of thermodynamics is also true.

The universe is expanding into a vacuum, and only inter-molecular forces, gravity, and of course the limit of the speed of light, holds us together. At least, that is how it has always been explained to me.

Trendal,

I agree with your statement about the second law of thermodynamis. However that same law states that despite the fact if an entropy of a system decreases or increases, the entropy of the universe (meaning the system + its surroundings) must always be increasing. So any decrease of entropy within a system must result in a greater increase of entropy within the universe. Since only a vacuum exists beyond our universe, that means that the entropy of our universe must be always increasing.

The hydrogen in a box has a set amount of entropy, as entropy is a state function. However, when you decrease the volume of the box, the entropy of the hydrogen decreases because the matter, and therefore the energy, of the hydrogen inside is becoming more concentrated, more like a solid.

Also, if that box of hydrogen were to allowed to infinitely expand, say in a vacuum (which is what our universe exists in), then the entropy is always increases because the hydrogen can become infinitely dilute as it takes no energy to expand against a vacuum.

?Exploded? ?expanded?, I don?t see how these words are being miss-used, since all an explosion means is a rapid expansion.

Perhaps the big bang theory is not a theory of creation. But besides that point, what I am talking about is the half way mark, the mid-life crisis, of the universe. IF the universe?s expansion is decelerating, this point will come eventually.

Quote:

Our most recent measurements actually show the acceleration to be increasing. This has revived Einstein's old idea of the "cosmological constant" - a form of repulsive gravity that only acts over extremely large distances. Others have proposed that the force of gravity itself becomes repulsive over extreme distance scales and that it is only attractive on smaller ones (though still quite large).

At any rate, it is becoming clear that the expansion of the universe is not slowing down at all.

Could you post a link or something about this? If this is true, then I can put my mind at ease about all of this.

--------------------
A Temporal Anomaly

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang [Re: Annom]
    #5063884 - 12/14/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

So Annom, how do stars form?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #5063887 - 12/14/05 06:46 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The big bang, is happening right now! :smile:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #5063901 - 12/14/05 06:47 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OneWhoHasSeen said:
BleaK,

If you look at the equation E = MC(2), you can see how energy can be converted into mass and back again. Matter is just another form of energy, just as heat and radiation are. Since energy has absolutely no mass, then it can be in a point infinitely small, at least as small as the sub-quantum level. Then, if a large portion of this energy were converted into matter (some believe God to be the catalyst, those who believe in the string theory believe that this energy came from the extra dimensions at the sub-quantum level), it could then expand from this infinitely small point to a huge point very very rapidly.

I think that an infinite cycle of regression is also a great way to explain how the big bang works, but it can not be true if the second law of thermodynamics is also true.

The universe is expanding into a vacuum, and only inter-molecular forces, gravity, and of course the limit of the speed of light, holds us together. At least, that is how it has always been explained to me.

"Since energy has absolutely no mass, then it can be in a point infinitely small, at least as small as the sub-quantum level."

energy is potential. potential is a concept.
there is no "as small as" for infinity.

"The universe is expanding into a vacuum"

how big is the vaccum, and/or, is that vaccum not part of the universe?

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5063922 - 12/14/05 06:50 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

?Exploded? ?expanded?, I don?t see how these words are being miss-used, since all an explosion means is a rapid expansion.

The speed of light is not holding us together because it is space itself that is expanding. There is no center, like there is with an explosion; an explosion is not a good way to compare with the big bang theory.

The big bang theory does not say anything about the state before the "bang". It is general relativity that predicts an singularity, but the problem is that general relativity and quantum mechanics fail for black holes/singularities.

OfflineOneWhoHasSeen
Temporal Anomaly
 User Gallery

Re: Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang [Re: BleaK]
    #5063939 - 12/14/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BleaK said:
energy is potential. potential is a concept.
there is no "as small as" for infinity.

"The universe is expanding into a vacuum"

how big is the vacuum, and/or, is that vacuum not part of the universe?

Vacuum, at least from a scientific point of view, is not part of the universe because it has absolutely no energy what so ever. Its just nothing, and since the universe is full of energy, it is something. That is why they are separate.

--------------------
A Temporal Anomaly

OfflineOneWhoHasSeen
Temporal Anomaly
 User Gallery

#5063961 - 12/14/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The big bang theory does not say anything about the state before the "bang". It is general relativity that predicts an singularity, but the problem is that general relativity and quantum mechanics fail for black holes/singularities.

Not if the string theory holds true. In that theory, there are dimensions of a certain number, that exist only at the sub-atomic level. And it is here were relativity and quantum mechanics, usually mutually exclusive, meet in a harmonic single equation.

However, I must admit that there are several string theories out there, stating there to be as few as 7 dimensions and as many as 23 or more! And these string theories are at odds with each other. So your point is valid.

--------------------
A Temporal Anomaly

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #5063990 - 12/14/05 07:02 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

duality is a bitch.
i always end up confused.

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5064070 - 12/14/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

M-theory is the newest "string theory". M-theory more or less unified the five consistent superstring theories. It has 11 dimensions.

The problem in understanding and trying to apply string theory, entropy, big bang, quantum mechanics, etc is that we can't understand anything without heavy mathematical tools. Even then there is not a real way to "understand" many concepts; it's impossible to visualize 4 dimensions, let alone 11. It's 100% mathematics and I think most people here don't have these mathematical tools to "understand" string theory. I really don't want to ruin the fun in thinking about this, but if you really want to use logic and apply theories to reality, I advice to start with Newton and Einstein.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5064104 - 12/14/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
So Annom, how do stars form?

Yes, I understand why you ask that. From huge clusters that form in gas clouds. The sun does radiate energy though.

I can't explain you what entropy really is, it's a pretty difficult concept if you try to apply it.

J♠
Male User Gallery

#5064355 - 12/14/05 08:18 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
Depending on the amount of hydrogen gas inside the container and the size of the container... won't the gas group together forming clusters of gas, which of each has varying entropy in their individual systems? Isn't this what entropy is? Increasing complexity through molecular interaction? Or is it the Universe reaching a constant in which the temperature is displaced evenly everywhere?

Yes, gravity does alter the equation in a significant manner. Due to gravity, the configuration resulting in maximum entropy is actually a black hole - there is no object or system which can contain as much entropy as a black hole.

However the gas will not collapse until a significant density has already been reached. For concentrations below the required density, the gas remains spread out and fairly uniform.

--------------------

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

#5064429 - 12/14/05 08:33 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i'm just gonna jump in and ask a silly question...

why is the earth round?

Edited by Schwammel (12/14/05 08:34 PM)

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: Entropy, the Universe, and the Big Bang [Re: Schwammel]
    #5064438 - 12/14/05 08:38 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

why is the sun round?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom