Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemethus
Stranger
Loc: a lovely place
stems of mystery
    #498190 - 12/21/01 08:29 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Here's the deal:
I found this bag of fresh mushroom stems on the ground as I was walking home from work. No kidding. The mystery here is that they were obviously grown locally and indoors (because I live in a land of ice and snow), but they do NOT stain blue, or any color at all. I've showed these stems to a few friends of mine (mycology experts by no means) and one fella said that he's eaten hallucinogenic mushrooms many times before that just don't stain. Hmm. So I refered to a few general interest kind of mushroom hunting guides, with no mention of particular non-staining-yet-trip-inducing mushrooms. Some on-line mushroom guides (like the Magic Mushroom Field Guide) tell me that there are active mushrooms that don't stain, but others (like Mushroom John's ID Guide) tell me that there are no active mushrooms that do not stain. Hmmmmm. I'm torn... Why would someone grow these mushrooms in their house, seal the fresh stems in a ziploc bag, and drop em in the snow?
Any suggestion on what I should do with this fungus? I been keepin' the bag in the fridge for a week!
Thanks, methus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: stems of mystery [Re: methus]
    #498231 - 12/21/01 09:32 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Without seeing pictures, I am at a loss here, maybe they were edible mushrooms, have no idea. snap some quality pics and maybe we can help ya out.

Cheers

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

Offlinemethus
Stranger
Loc: a lovely place
Re: stems of mystery [Re: SThomas]
    #499130 - 12/23/01 02:45 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm.... I unfortunatly don't have a camera or a scanner or anything, so no pictures of the fungus. I know that'd make identification a bit easier, but as it stands, the mystery remains, I reckon.
thanks, bro.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #499254 - 12/23/01 10:49 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Well it is thought that Psilocin oxidation causes Psilocybian mushrooms to stain blue. Some can contain larger amounts of Psilocybin and Baeocystin, but lower amounts of Psilocin than others. In this case, there may not be any blue-bruising.
I think that any mushroom containing Psilocybin has the potential to bruise blue, being that Psilocybin actually breaks down into Psilocin in the mushroom as well as in the human brain.
So some species will not bruise blue due to lack of potency, although containing smaller amounts of active chemicals.
I don't know why, but for instance, Ps. semilanceata rarely bruises blue and when it does, it is almost always only at the very base of the stem. Ps. stuntzii, as well, very rarely bruises blue.
It's probably true that all "Psilocybian species" on the whole will bruise blue. However, it may vary from one patch to the next within a particular species. I'm only talking about bruising from handling the mushrooms myself. There are chemicals that will react with the Psilcybians and "make them bruise" blue.
It's sort of confusing isn't it? hehe.
I have had bags of Ps. cubensis that didn't have any bruising on them whatsoever. It is thought sometimes that the more blue, the more goodies you've lost into the air. I'm not gonna back that up, though, as I've only read this.
Good Luck and Stay Cool!-Levi7.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: stems of mystery [Re: Levi7]
    #499283 - 12/23/01 11:31 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Quite sure Levi. After ingestion, psilocybin is hydrolized to psilocin pretty rapidly and completely. 100 mg of psilocybin (C12H17N2O4P, MW=284.3) are equivalent to 72 mg of psilocin (C12H16N2O, MW= 204.3).
Ps. Semilanceata also contains 0.2 % baeocystin (others only traces). Baeocystin has effects on humans very similar to those of psiloc(yb)in, but is weaker (per weight) (J.Gartz, pers. comm.).
Also Psilocybin is the is the compound that stabilizes the psilocyn (prevents its oxidation, bruising), so theorically besides the bruising being an effect of high contents of psilocyn it also could be the effect of a low concentrention of psilocybin, so i've read.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: stems of mystery [Re: MAIA]
    #499501 - 12/23/01 05:46 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

nice MAIA that was interesting!

Anonymous

#500673 - 12/25/01 09:27 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I don't eat things I find on the street.

When in doubt, throw it out!

OfflineSherlockDrubu
enthusiast
    #500676 - 12/25/01 09:38 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

the shrooms in my fridge (dried) don't have any stains except a small bit of blue on the bottom... they are quite potent...

maybe someone growing thought "Hey, I'll only eat the caps and give someone a nice christmas treat... they should stay fresh in the snow :-)"

OfflineDrGonzo401
Stranger
    #505946 - 12/31/01 02:31 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

OR MAYBE they were one of the morons who think you only eat the caps

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale