Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
petri plate steralizationn
    #505873 - 12/31/01 03:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ii still have a set of dirty plates that i used a whle back. what is the best way to resteralize plastic petri plates? Ii have a nice specimen i want to clone to the agar...

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: pleezr]
    #506249 - 12/31/01 11:49 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

petri plates suck.

Use a glass jar.

I use 500ml jam jars. They are rectangular(sort of) so I lay them on their sides.

Works good

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflineJbfrustraited
Stranger

Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: pleezr]
    #27077980 - 12/08/20 12:53 AM (2 months, 19 days ago)

I just soak them in a bleach solution then spray them with peroxide And iso but I'm thinking about going and buying one of those ultraviolet light boxes that people stick their phones in now to kill germs. So just wash it really good and stick them in the light box for a few hours.

Edited by Jbfrustraited (12/08/20 12:54 AM)

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: Jbfrustraited] * 2
    #27077991 - 12/08/20 01:15 AM (2 months, 19 days ago)

Jb, didn't you just have a bunch of plates contaminate? Bleach and peroxide don't sterilize anything.

Disposable petris aren't meant to be reused. They are made from polystyrene and can't be heat sterilized. The manufacturers radiation sterilize them in the sealed sleeves. If you're going to be reusing petris for sterile work, they need to be borosilicate glass or polypropylene.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: Jbfrustraited]
    #27077993 - 12/08/20 01:16 AM (2 months, 19 days ago)

:whathesaid:
I'd be curious to see what you come out with using UV light. Plastic petris aren't meant to be reused but UV could work.

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #27079747 - 12/09/20 02:04 AM (2 months, 18 days ago)

I think it would be a fussy process because the petris would have to be sitting open under the light. The sterile surfaces need unobstructed line-of-sight with the UV source because the plastic will block UV-C and even dust particles create shadows. There's also the potential for eye and skin injury from the ultraviolet radiation. I've had shortwave UV burns from arc welding without proper PPE and it's creepy and gross.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

OfflineGroo
sola dosis facit venenum
 User Gallery

Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #27079759 - 12/09/20 02:20 AM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Plastic Petri dishes MELT in the PC

OfflineJbfrustraited
Stranger

Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #27080864 - 12/09/20 07:21 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Sir Pentinite said:
Jb, didn't you just have a bunch of plates contaminate? Bleach and peroxide don't sterilize anything.

Disposable petris aren't meant to be reused. They are made from polystyrene and can't be heat sterilized. The manufacturers radiation sterilize them in the sealed sleeves. If you're going to be reusing petris for sterile work, they need to be borosilicate glass or polypropylene.

I do not reuse plates I was just making a suggestion if he was going to be so to wash them well with bleach and peroxide and then use UV light to sterilize them. I have some Infected plates but that was because I was testing out bad syringes that were sent to me by www.mushroomprints.com they sent me one batch of bad Spore syringes and then replaced it with another batch of bad Spore syringes which I tested on agar and where full of bacteria and mold. I used to have a nice selection of Pyrex glass petris but I have lost them over the years due to breakage I was very happy with them. I should get some more.

OfflineJbfrustraited
Stranger

Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #27081199 - 12/09/20 10:50 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

That's what I was thinking because they're selling UV everything now a days. They're selling little 8" by 6" boxes that you can put your phone in and other small accessories and it sterilizes them with UV rays. I figure you could probably put petris in there  and your tools/syringes in it. I mean it couldn't hurt to use it for another step for your sterile field and May beca good option for a glove box to have one of those in there to leave your tools in.

OfflineGroo
sola dosis facit venenum
 User Gallery

Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: Jbfrustraited]
    #27081286 - 12/09/20 11:54 PM (2 months, 17 days ago)

Or wash your tools and use the special wrapping technique as seen here
a special thing i dont see as needed that uv whatever.

OfflineJbfrustraited
Stranger

Re: petri plate steralizationn [Re: Groo]
    #27081521 - 12/10/20 05:35 AM (2 months, 17 days ago)

Yeah yeah I know.... Lol.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation