Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMystic_Rain_Man
Stranger
 User Gallery
Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK!
    #5042881 - 12/10/05 03:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

This is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. I actually didn't know what the hell it was for the first minute... Thought it was a praying mantis that tried to crawl down my sink and got stuck with it's ass in the air. But after a short time of looking at it I was amazed at what I was looking at... 2 morning glory saplings sprouting from my drain!

How did they get there? well, if it isn't obvious i'll tell you a story. A few days ago I discovered that the morning glory seeds I had bought months ago might have been coated with some sort of pesticide, so I took them to my bathroom sink, plugged the drain, and began to wash around 900 seeds with tap water and dishwashing liquid. Afterwords I put them all in a coffee filter, unplugged the drain, and began rinsing them by holding the filter under the running water... Well the water gathered a bit and quite a few of the more adventurous seeds managed to jump out of the filter. I quickly closed the drain but heard a grinding sound as some of the seeds were being forced into the drain by the plug, 'Eh, oh well, no big deal' I thought, so I continued with the rinsing and dried the seeds... Well, apparently, sometime later the seeds managed to beat all odds and grow in a place where I would have never considered possible... in my drain pipe. :laugh:

Now, the drain has been semi clogged for months, the water would always take it's time to drain, and I don't doubt that there is plenty of gunk in there... But how can a plant grow in such filth? It is not earth, it is hair, dirt, toothpaste, facewash, soap, oil, dead skin cells, chemicals and anything else that has been accumulating all this time... Could all this have mixed together along with moisture and created a form of mulch able to sustain plant life?... Or have the plants merely sprouted from the moisture and are feeding off the seeds waiting to die? As of now, it is probably the latter, but who knows? Maybe the damn things will start to grow roots!

Anyway, enough with the talk, I know what you want, you want pictures. Well I got em'.

Now if you look carefully at the last few pictures not only can you see the seeds as they managed to sprout in thin air, but also how filthy the drain really is... You can also see that one of the seeds has fallen deep and the seedling has really made its way out of the depths like some intertwining vine...

To be honest, I'm a little concerned, just how deep have the seeds gone and sprouted, could they grow roots? I don't want growing plants adding pressure to my drain pipe or septic tank and possibly causing some damage, would some liquid drain-o kill the stuff?...

Hell, if these plants grow that easily, I might as well plant some in the backyard and start to harvest the seeds. :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelobotomix
Stranger

Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: Mystic_Rain_Man]
    #5042940 - 12/10/05 04:41 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

did you flush some seeds in the sink, or did those start growing out of the bacteria on your pubic hair? :smile:

Edited by lobotomix (12/10/05 04:41 AM)

OfflineMystic_Rain_Man
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! *DELETED* [Re: lobotomix]
    #5042949 - 12/10/05 04:47 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Mystic_Rain_Man

Reason for deletion: Eh, cause I feel like it.

OfflineMystic_Rain_Man
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5043041 - 12/10/05 06:15 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Hm, I pulled some of the seedlings out of the drain and it turns out there are more than just a few, might be a dozen or so in there, many are too deep to get out... Not only that, but the seeds sprouted straight down, and the plants have already managed to grow roots...

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

#5043212 - 12/10/05 08:24 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

How strange, thanks for sharing.

Offlinechamp
pudding pop
 User Gallery

Loc: unknown trashscape
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: Trav]
    #5043232 - 12/10/05 08:36 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You should pour some weed killer down there, man. MG's are insanely strong plants and they might fuck up your drain. They can even sprout again from little root bits.

Maybe a few days later do the liquid plumber too, just make sure it doesn't mix with any weed killer.

Great pics, though.

OfflineMystic_Rain_Man
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: champ]
    #5043261 - 12/10/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

champ said:
You should pour some weed killer down there, man. MG's are insanely strong plants and they might fuck up your drain. They can even sprout again from little root bits.

Maybe a few days later do the liquid plumber too, just make sure it doesn't mix with any weed killer.

Great pics, though.

Really? You think they really will do some damage?... I wouldn't think it would be safe to pour weed killer down the drain, but if this is a serious problem, I guess I might have to get a professional opinion... I just wonder how i'm going to explain this to a plumber or gardener...

'Hi, I was washing morning glory seeds in my sink to get rid of the pesticides so I could break the law and eat them, Now I got some growing in my drain, is it safe to pour weed killer down into my septic tank?'... :grin:

Invisibleroby000
me
Trans-male
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! *DELETED* [Re: Mystic_Rain_Man]
    #5043306 - 12/10/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by roby000

Reason for deletion: k

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: roby000]
    #5043340 - 12/10/05 09:21 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

if anything shut the water off and remove the trap from the sink *the U shaped part underneath* if anything that should be where most of them are growing from.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflinepH_
Voyager
 User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #5043405 - 12/10/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

hah, what a great read in the morning. funny stuff. i'll be careful with my seeds from now on, i don't want a jungle growing in my bathroom  :grin:

OfflineMystic_Rain_Man
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: pH_]
    #5043584 - 12/10/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You know... This will make one hell of a story when I get it sorted out :grin:

I have posted it in a plumber forum... But come to think of it, could this really be dangerous? How are these plants supposed to grow in an area full of salty urine, too much water, no soil, no light, mounds of human waste, shit eating bacteria, and the drano i'm about to clear the damn clog with? Sure the seeds sprouted, but how long were they going to last with their roots in bacterial infested drain gunk?...

Then again, if I clear the clog, the remaining seeds and seedlings will be washed into the septic tank, we're talking about pure human fertilizer, it could turn into a jungle down there for all I know... Quick, anybody remember anything about plant biology when they taught it to you in school?... How long do average plants live in total darkness, without sunlight? :shocked:

Oh... and i'm glad you all learned something from my stupidity, use a bucket. :wink:

Edited by Mystic_Rain_Man (12/10/05 10:40 AM)

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
    #5043664 - 12/10/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah... wow... that's special dude, "special" with a U  :lol:

OfflinePingasa
Stranger
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: StickyWater]
    #5044005 - 12/10/05 12:31 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

why is there "salty urine" in your sink drain? did you decide to pee in it?

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: Pingasa]
    #5044147 - 12/10/05 12:56 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I was thinking the same thing...

Morning glories are some hardy weeds. Those bastards'll grow straight through solid cement if you give em the chance.
Definently need to make sure there's no more down there.

OfflineMxIndustry
Sheep
Male

Loc: GTA
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #5044184 - 12/10/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Try to kill the sprouting plants off with bleach.I doubt the MG plant would grow in your septic tank, no light & insufficient ammounts of co2.

--------------------

Better living through chemistry.

Contribute to the Seed Exchange

Contribute to the Free Cactus/Ethno Ring

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: MxIndustry]
    #5047472 - 12/11/05 09:33 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

you do know that when you sweat it's piss thats coming out of the glands right?

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineKaleidoscope
Voodoo Child
Loc: the 28th dimension
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: coda]
    #5047500 - 12/11/05 09:39 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

your sink drain trap might actually prove to be quite an ideal place for plants to start growing. think about all the 'compost' thats stuck in there. MG's aren't picky either...they'll grow damn near anywhere. I wish i would have known about the properties of MG seeds when I lived with my parents...they were everywhere at home.

--------------------

Purple haze, all in my brain, lately things just don't seem the same. Actin' funny but I don't know why, 'scuse me while I kiss the sky.

OfflineMystic_Rain_Man
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: Pingasa]
    #5047727 - 12/11/05 10:42 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pingasa said:

:grin: That paragraph was poorly organized, I meant in the septic tank, in case a few seeds managed to slip their way through... I doubt the sink trap is the only place they've ever ended up, If plants can grow from crushed seed pulp, then i'm going to have to call a plumber...

MxIndustry, thanks for the heads-up on killing them with bleach, i'll try it.

OfflineShripping
Shripping onTrooms

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: pH_]
    #5047778 - 12/11/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Your sink looks pretty nasty.

--------------------
"Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you." - Bill Hicks

OfflineMystic_Rain_Man
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Morning Glory plants growing IN MY SINK! [Re: Shripping]
    #5051282 - 12/12/05 06:24 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Really? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I opened the sink up yesterday and cleaned the gunk and hair out of the drain trap, the clumps of plant matter I pulled out were so tightly locked together they looked like marijuana nuggets, never have I seen plants so horribly mutated, must of been toxic waste down there. I also cleaned out the pipe, problem solved... but what a weird thing to happen...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom