Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
ion generator
    #4581456 - 08/25/05 08:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

opinions on this technology, please. will it work as stated or should i still go with the flowhood?

The Dual Element Ion Generator....The new answer for clean sterile air. Those of you who have held off buying HEPA filters, large fans, and expensive glove boxes are in luck. Not only do these items cost a lot, they also cost too much just to operate. However, one must have sterile conditions when working with rich agars, spores, and live cultures. Contamination is the number one reason for crop failure. It is a constant battle against contaminants. Your lab, or growing room, is the battlefield. The enemy is not seen until it is usually too late. The air contains millions of bacteria, molds, and many other members of this enemy. They are all waiting to find somewhere to grow. The agar and grain media you prepare to grow mushrooms on will be most suitable for many of these waiting contaminants. To prove this, all you have to do is remove the lid from a petri dish while in a non-sterile area. After only just a short time, place the lid back. Within just two days, there will be growths on the agar surface. You have met the enemy face to face. But now there is a new weapon. It is a new dual action air ionizer. It is better than any other because it not only generates (shoots) negative ions, but it also collects the contaminants (enemies) with a second element (positive charge) in it's base. It shoots billions of negative ions (negatively charged atoms) that attach themselves in a magnet like fashion to any contaminant in the air which in turn attracts them to the closest positive surface. In this case, the positive base of the generator. If they are outside of the shielded area, they fall to the floor. The ones closer in are actually attracted to the special base collector of this new ionizer.
Does it really work? Place a clear glass bowl over the ionizer. Blow plenty of cigarette smoke into the bowl. The instant the ionizer is turned on, the smoke will be gone. It appears to be some kind of trick, but this weapon is for real. This system is just about the only one which can remove and collect dust, pollen, bacteria, and yes, even smoke molecules! Remember that 90% of air pollution particles are under 5 microns. This special Ion Generator will remove particles as small as .001 micron! This is not a typo. .001 micron is correct. It constantly cleans the air. it has no filters to ever change. The contaminants are just held to the wooden base by magnetic force. You can wrap a piece of white handtowel around the base to see it working. Just discard the handtowel and replace with another to check for trash in your air. It cleans 1,500 cubic feet of room! When it is placed inside your home made glove box, you create the utmost sterile conditions. You actually are using "over kill". The flexible emitter allows you to direct ionization where you want it. Now available in "220 Volt" For Overseas and European operations. If you are on 220 volt service, please specify the 220 volt generator when ordering. This unit uses only 1 1/2 watts of electricity. Cost about $1.00 a year to run all the time. UL listed. EPA registered.
:thumbup: or  :thumbdown:
thanks
:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ion generator [Re: backupwards]
    #4581609 - 08/25/05 09:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I use a SIMCO AEROSTAT XC in conjuction with a flowhood.

By itself, the Simco will make any micron size particle floating in air stick to a hard surface, where you can spray a sanitizer like lysol. It is very effective in a small closed bathroom.

You can find them on eBay from $30 & up for a newer model.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Simco-Aerostat-XC-Io...1QQcmdZViewItem

RoadKill also uses the same Simco. Ask him his opinion of it.

--------------------

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #4581642 - 08/25/05 09:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, what agar said :smile:

Many labs/growrooms use these in order to clear the air.  Its very effective and natural. 

Do you know why people say that they sleep better when its raining? 

Because the ions in rain drops act as a natural ion generator and clean the air.  By doing this, people breathe easier and sleep better.

You can buy all different kinds like a  Portable Commercial Ozone Generator

Like agar, lets one of these run for a few minutes or even an hour and then wipe clean! 

:smile:

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: ion generator [Re: Lana]
    #4581697 - 08/25/05 09:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So, is there no difference between the Simco and this duel element generator?
It says that it can take the place of a flow hood or glovebox, I take it would still be best to use them in conjunction with each other?
thanks agar and lana

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4583156 - 08/26/05 06:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I believe the unit you describe is a passive one (without a fan). It must operate something like the Ionic Breeze by Sharper Image.

The Simco Aerostat XC Features inherent balance to ?5V, patented emitter point cleaner, on/off ionization status light, 3-speed (70, 95 and 120 CFM) fan, and integrated heater.

In other words, a Simco will move a LOT of air - quickly. A passive unit will not. A Simco makes the Ionic Breeze look like a toy.

--------------------

Offlinebubbles
OverLord

Loc: London
    #4583642 - 08/26/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i used one when i was growing pot.
all the dust, ect clogs up the holes (stomata?) and reduce the plants efficiency.

i read you get a similar effect from earthing a peice of tinfoil, never tried it tho. i figuret to just hook it up to the earth prong of an inserted plug but for fear of my life i just bought an ioniser.

peace

--------------------
"the modeling chalenge for the future is human history. we will no longer be playing games, we will be proposing actual models and methods to begin to shape the world" Terence McKenna

"Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall KILL you" stewie griffin

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ion generator [Re: bubbles] * 1
    #4583727 - 08/26/05 11:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Never had a contam when used in my GB.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblefungusamongus
fungus
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Nations
Re: ion generator [Re: hyphae]
    #4584294 - 08/26/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've got an AspenAir A-10-2 never been used. I was fixing to list it on ebay. If your interested PM me.

Offlinebubbles
OverLord

Loc: London
Re: ion generator [Re: fungusamongus]
    #4586847 - 08/27/05 08:19 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wow hyphae, real professional looking glove box.

--------------------
"the modeling chalenge for the future is human history. we will no longer be playing games, we will be proposing actual models and methods to begin to shape the world" Terence McKenna

"Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall KILL you" stewie griffin

Offlinephrostbyte_x
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: No where
    #4926799 - 11/12/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I use a fresh air unit made by Eco-quest. They aren't cheep, but they work perfect! This thing works up to 3000 sq ft. Cost about $500.00 - $600.00

Here is a link to it
http://www.ecoquestintl.com/corporate_products/fresh_air.asp

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: ion generator [Re: phrostbyte_x]
    #4930339 - 11/13/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

no thanks, i have ended up with 2 simco aerostat xc's from ebay for less than $100.00 shipped.

they are working excellent, and you really can tell a difference in the air quality of my work room and the rest of the house.

Invisiblemskip23
Can It All Be So Simple!
 User Gallery

Loc: Philly
    #4930444 - 11/13/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

what do u think about this one
Im unsure what im looking for so thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMCO-AEROSTAT-XC-Be...1QQcmdZViewItem

--------------------
url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/05-26/988356075-Picture-278.gif][/url

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: ion generator [Re: mskip23]
    #4930556 - 11/13/05 10:09 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

buy it up bro, i actually bought one of mine from precisiontoolman, good seller imo, fast with the shipping.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: ion generator [Re: mskip23]
    #4930934 - 11/13/05 11:46 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Snag that puppy......... :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ion generator [Re: agar]
    #4931315 - 11/14/05 04:07 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i once tried one of the aspenair things, it seemed to work (did openair g2g just fine)
but who knows, could have been lucky aswell i guess ?
id go with the hepa, that is for sure.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineLacrossa
Cmdr of PiratePenguins

Loc: Mormonia
Re: ion generator [Re: phrostbyte_x]
    #5034705 - 12/08/05 03:58 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I use a fresh air unit made by Eco-quest. They aren't cheep, but they work perfect! This thing works up to 3000 sq ft. Cost about $500.00 - $600.00

DON'T use Ecoquest *anything*. They are one of the more insidious corporations out there, trumpeting "rainbow-clean air" and selling themselves now as a "Christian" company while facing numerous pending civil suits because their products don't work.

OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

#5034884 - 12/08/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Great for "unusual" smells in your lab, great for "unusual" smells from your tomato garden in the closet, great for "unusual" incense smells, great for keeping a decontaminated environment for culture work. I can't praise them enough. I have the new Sharper Image unit that releases oxygen into the room as well.

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: ion generator [Re: MisterMyco]
    #5041285 - 12/09/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Here is a negative ion generator that is supposed to cover a whole room for $39. What does everyone think?

http://www.amazing1.com/negative_ion.htm

OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

Re: ion generator [Re: Blue Helix]
    #5041540 - 12/09/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like it would work.

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

OfflineLacrossa
Cmdr of PiratePenguins

Loc: Mormonia
Re: ion generator [Re: MisterMyco]
    #5049627 - 12/11/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ionization and ozone go hand-in-hand, since the former generates the latter. But be very wary about specifically ozone-producing cleaning units. The studies on these are far from conclusively positive. The commercial-advertising side of the air cleaning industry (unfortunately the largest side) has seized on every new technology and wholeheartedly supported it because it sells. This is irresponsible at best, and criminal at worst.

Such market pitches go: "Nature's cleaning agent!" "Smells like a clean, warm summer's day after a rainstorm." "Ozone protects us from the sun's harmful rays. (How could anything natural be bad?)" etc. etc. That timeless consumer sense still applies--if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Here're the facts as I've found them. Ozone has been shown to break down a lot of emissions and pollutants in the atmosphere. Ozone is especially useful for removing odors, since it has a slightly sweet fragrance. It can "deep-clean" such things as car upholsteries--this is usually how lingering tobacco residue is removed from car interiors.

The catch: "safe" ozone is useless. In order to be effective, ozone has to be in concentrations > 50ppb (that's parts per BILLION, the FDA-mandated safe level). Unfortunately above this level, ozone is a documented health risk which will irritate your eyes, nasal cavity and lungs. Studies have shown asthmatics to be especially sensitive to this damage.

In health care applications, operators treat ozone-producing air cleaners the same way they do UV germicidal lamps: exit the room, make sure the room is sealed, and set that bad boy full blast. Wait an hour after the unit turns off, and then re-enter. (Ozone breaks down quickly in the lower atmosphere.)

But there's one problem which really precludes ozone's widespread use among hobbyist mycologists: ozone will react with terpenes found in cleaning agents (Lysol, Simple Green) to form formaldehyde in the air. (Formaldehyde is carcinogenic and more common than most people realize, but at >.5ppm it will also cause respiratory problems.) Formaldehyde is a stable compound and does NOT break down, it gets absorbed into carpets and released slowly over an extended period of time. These particles are very small and are not filterable with a HEPA.

Highlights from a Consumer Reports review of ozone-producing ionizers:
  • "A 14-year study of 95 urban areas in the U.S. found a clear link between small increases in ozone and higher death rates...The study predicts that a 10-ppb increase in ozone over eight hours could lead to roughly 3,700 premature deaths per year in those cities."
  • "Ozone levels were measured 2 inches from each machine's air discharge in accordance with the standard. All five ionizers failed the test by producing more than the 50-ppb limit--in some cases, much more... In our lab tests, two ionizing models--the IonizAir P4620 and the Surround Air XJ-2000--emitted more than 150 and 300 ppb, respectively, 2 inches from the machine."
So caveat emptor guys, ozone-producing air cleaners are generally useless if "safe", and are quite dangerous if not. You definitely shouldn't use Lysol or Simple Green, et al., if you choose to use these devices.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale