Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShlewm
Stranger
Colonizing using shotglasses
    #5012293 - 12/04/05 01:18 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Me and my friend thought it might colonize faster if you just used shotglasses covered in tinfoil and steamed, anyone have any success doing this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Colonizing using shotglasses [Re: Shlewm]
    #5012370 - 12/04/05 01:34 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Sure, but would you get enough spawn to produce anything worthwhile with such a small amount of substrate?

Offlinetheshroomman
Stranger
    #5012373 - 12/04/05 01:34 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

uhh.. you would get almost nothing colonized as not much would fit into a shotglass.... it might work... but why?

Offlinesmarties
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5012392 - 12/04/05 01:39 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

my very first fruits. it was a cased 4oz juice glass. only 1 flush. mostly to see what they would do.

maybe 1g dried.

--------------------
you need supplies? clicky clicky

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: Colonizing using shotglasses [Re: smarties]
    #5012438 - 12/04/05 01:52 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

very interesting hahaha

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5012515 - 12/04/05 02:08 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ive used glasses only a little bit bigger than shot glasses(only after using 1/2-full pint jars for about a year). Ive never had a shitty batch and out of about onehundred cakes, one failure. We eventually used mcy-water to inoculate so we would sometimes decide to just quicken the colonization/fruiting process using smaller jars. We would have shrooms within a few weeks less than with 1/2 pint jars.
The only problem was that they grew less weight in shrooms per jar(so what? we asked ourselves, we made more jars), and then there was the problem that when the massive shrooms grew the cake would fall over because it was so light(cracked some shrooms and primordia right of the cakes that fell). I tried it with casings once and it worked, Ill always prefer growing right off the cakes though.
SHot glasses are small and will colonize fast, but it doesnt give much space or time for the myc to become strong before casing. It is indeed many little jars with one colony per jar. Its hard for it to become as strong unless you go a little bit bigger than shot glasses. If they are not big huge shot glasses, then its even worse for the colony of myc.
Ive never went smaller than 2/3 the size of a 1/2 pint jars.
This is my take on it although all I use jars of myc for is fruiting, no casing. We did laugh our asses off once we saw so much growth on such small cakes(we were just experimenting given the fact that we had endless amounts of myc-water).

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Colonizing using shotglasses [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #5012545 - 12/04/05 02:17 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

this is a disheartning question to read being asked....

a shot glass of substrate would be good for a grain to grain transfer. it would probably take about 5-10 days to colonize depending on your conditions and when they germinate.

remember this is only one fluid once of substrate. this is a small chunk for the myc to hold onto and it won't be as strong as if it were on 8 ounces of substrate.

now lets do a little math. the smallest worthwhile grow i can think of would be 6 pf half pints, two casings of 3 jars. 8 ounces=8 shots= 1 half pint. so 6 x 8= 48 shot glasses, 48 individual ounces of substrate, 48 little pieces of tinfoil (which you'd want to just wrap the whole glass in tinfoil, just around the mouth would be a bad idea for sterilizing and incubating), and the time energy and space to sterilize and incubate 48 shot glasses. they'll colonize on their own so yes it will be a LITTLE faster. once they're done you can go about casing them at least 16-24 in one casing. you could use them as spawn for a bulk substrate.

if you think about it, you could use the same logic and just inoculate 50 million kernals of grain with 500 spores each, and you'll have a similar ammount of spawn (prolyl several quarts) and they will colonize within maybe 12 hours after germination. but you see the more you divide it up like that the more tedious it gets and the more room to fuck it up. of course theres an equal ammount of room to fuck up if you were to just do some sort of 100,000 gallon tank of substrate (that wont dry out and can be shaken somehow :smirk:) cuz if that fucks up you loos 100,000 gallons of substrate and hundreds if not thousands of gallons of spore solution. so you find the happy medium at the half pint jars. pints are acceptable but i'd personally only recommend them if u have good experience with the pf tek or if u absolutely can't get anything else(very seldom).

now if u just do the half pints and get your techniques down and DO SOME READING, then you can probably get the same if not better results with better myco-insurance coverage. also if they are germinating ands colonizing seperate substrates like that, they MAY (not definitely) develop as different substrains which could mean delay due to a little compeetition or just shittier fruits, or both.

last but not least do do shot glasses as cakes will probably get you like 1 wet gram or something totally not worthwhile.

the only acceptable reason to do a shot glass of substrate is if i had some leftovers and i wanted to do a grain transfer with it when it was done. otherwise its just a retarded waste of tiem and energy. the more work you have to do the more room to fuck up. KISS, and cutting corners will probably get you going in circles (lol no joke intended...if anyone got that...) in this hobby. just do the half pints and wait a few extra days.

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #5012649 - 12/04/05 02:53 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

:mushroom2: :rolleyes: :grin:

--------------------

OfflineShlewm
Stranger
Re: Colonizing using shotglasses [Re: agar]
    #5013854 - 12/04/05 02:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Well we screwed up our first attempts at using half pint jars, so we're using what little spores we have left on 6 shotglasses, going to case them. we're just hoping for atleast 1 fruit so we can get more spores and do it properly later. thanks for the replys guys! been lots of help, the pictures were cool too.

Offlinesmarties
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5013966 - 12/04/05 03:32 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

why not make a lc out of a little of the spores you have left instead of hopein for a fruit.

--------------------

OfflineShlewm
Stranger
    #5014006 - 12/04/05 03:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I am interested, details please?

Offlinedroptopsunfire03
Wandering Deity

#5014047 - 12/04/05 03:57 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with the above, i used the 1cc of spores i had left, and now i have 2 cups of clean usable LC, much better idea.

Offlinedroptopsunfire03
Wandering Deity

Re: Colonizing using shotglasses [Re: droptopsunfire03]
    #5014060 - 12/04/05 04:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Karo corn syrup and water, i used i think 2 Tbls per 1 cup tupperware container, microwaved until it reached 170-180 degrees, then set under my bed to cool. Injected the few spores through a hole in the lid, taped the hole shut. Let it sit,you will begin to see long ropy white strands in a fewe days, they will become thincker and moer abundant as time goes on.

Offlinesmarties
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5014079 - 12/04/05 04:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineShlewm
Stranger
    #5015289 - 12/04/05 09:54 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you very much

Offlinexburn
V card
    #5015698 - 12/04/05 11:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

iot would be highly inefficent to use such a small glass. half pinters are where most people see the efficency peaking from my use and experience

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder