Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
The Doctor, The Sheep, and The Cadillac - Pt 1.
    #5007233 - 12/02/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

It was just after midnight when I first saw the sheep. I was running about eighty-eight or ninety miles an hour in a drenching, blinding rain on U.S. 40 between Winnemucca and Elko with one light out. I was soaking wet from the water that was pouring in through a hole in the front roof of the car, and my fingers were like rotten icicles on the steering wheel.
It was a moonless night and I knew I was hydroplaning, which is dangerous?.My front tires were no longer in touch with the asphalt or anything else. My center of gravity was too high. There was no visibility on the road, none at all. I could have tossed a flat rock a lot farther than I could see in front of me that night through the rain and the ground fog.
So what? I thought. I know this road-a straight lonely run across nowhere, with not many dots on the map except ghost towns and truck stops with names like Beowawe and Lovelock and Deeth and Winnemucca?.
Jesus! Who made this map? Only a lunatic could have come up with a list of places like this: Imlay, Valmy, Golconda, Nixon, Midas, Metropolis, Jiggs, Judasville?all of them empty, with no gas stations, withering away in the desert like a string of old Pony Express stations. The federal Government owns ninety percent of this land, and most if is usless for anything except weapons testing and poison-gas experiments.
My plan was to keep moving. Never slow down. Keep the car aimed straight ahead through the rain like a cruise missile?.I felt comfortable. There is a sense of calm and security that comes with driving a very fast car on an empty road at night?.Fuck this thunderstorm, I thought. There is safety in speed. Nothing can touch me as long as I keep moving fast, and never mind the cops: They are all hunkered down in a truck stop or jacking off by themselves in a culvert behind some dynamite shack in the wilderness beyond the highway?..Either way, they wanted no part of me and I wanted no part of them. Only trouble could come of it. They were probably nice people, and so was I?But we were not meant for each other. History had long since determined that. There is a huge body of evidence to support the notion that me and the police were put on the Earth to do extremely different things and never to mingle professionally with each other, except at official functions, when we all wear ties and drink heavily and whoop it up like the natural, good-humored wild boys that we know in our hearts that we are?.These occasions are rare, but they happen?despite the forked tongue of fate that has put us forever on different paths?But what the hell? I can handle a wild birthday party with cops, now and then. Or some unexpected orgy at a gun show in Texas. Why not? Hell, I ran for Sheriff one time, and almost got elected. They understand this, and I get along fine with the smart ones.

But not tonight, I thought, as I sped along in the darkness. Not at 100 miles and hour at midnight on a rain-slicked road in Nevada. Nobody needs to get involved in a high-speed chase on a filthy night like this. It would be dumb and extremely dangerous. Nobody driving a red 454 V-8 Chevrolet convertible was likely to pull over and surrender peacefully at the first sight of a cop car behind him. All kinds of weird shit might happen, from a gunfight with dope fiends to permanent injury or death?.It was a good night to stay indoors and be warm, make a fresh pot of coffee, and catach up on important paperwork. Lay low and ignore these loonies. Anybody behind the wheel of a car tonight was far too crazy to fuck with, anyway.
Which was probably true. There was nobody on the road except me and a few big-rig Peterbilts running west to Reno and Sacramento by dawn. I could hear them on my nine-band Super-Scan short-wave/CB/Police radio, which erupted now and then with outbursts of brainless speed gibberish about Big Money and Hot Crank and teenage cunts with huge tits.
They were dangerous Speed Freaks, driving twenty-ton trucks that might cut loose and jackknife at any moment, utterly out of control. There is nothing more terrifying than suddenly meeting a jackknifed Peterbilt with no brakes coming at you sideways at sixty or seventy miles per hour on a steep mountain road at three o?clock in the morning. There is total understanding, all at once, of how the captain of the Titanic must have felt when he first saw the Iceberg.
And not much different from the hideous feeling that gripped me when the beam of Long-Reach Super-Halogen headlights picked up what appeared to be a massive rock slide across the highway?right in front of me, blocking the road completely. Big white rocks and round boulders, looming up with no warning in a fog of rising steam or swamp gas?.
The brakes were useless, the car was wandering. The rear end was coming around. I jammed it down into Low, but it made no difference, so I straightened it out and braced for serious impact, a crash that would probably kill me. This is IT, I thought. This is how it happense?slamming into a pile of rocks at 100 miles an hour, a sudden brutal death in a fast red car on a moonless night in a rainstorm somewhere on the sleazy outskirts of Elko. I felt vaguely embarrassed, in that long pure instant before I went into the rocks. I remembered Los Lobos and that I wanted to call Maria when I got to Elko?.
My heart was full of joy as I took the first hit, which was oddly soft and painless. No real shock at all. Just a sickening thud , like running over a body or a corpse?or ye fucking gods, a crippled 200-pound sheep thrashing around in the road.
Yes, these huge white lumps were not boulders. They were sheep. Dead and dying sheep. More and more of them, impossible to miss at this speed, piled up on one another like bodies at the battle of Shiloh. It was like running over wet logs. Horrible, Horrible?..
And then I saw the man,-- a leaping Human Figure in the glare of my bouncing headlights, waving his arms and yelling, trying to flag me down. I swerved to avoid hitting him, but he seemed not to see me, rushing straight into my headlights like a blind man?.or a monster from Mars with no pulse, covered in blood and hysterical.
It looked like a small black gentleman in a London Fog raincoat, frantic to get my attention. It was so ugly that my brain refused to accept it?.Don?t worry, I thought. This is only an Acid flashback. Be calm. This is not really happening
I was down to about thirty-five or thirty when I zoomed past the man in the raincoat and bashed the brains out of a struggling sheep, which helped to reduce my speed, as the car went airborne again, then bounced to a shuddering stop just before I hit the smoking, overturned hulk of what looked like a white Cadillac limousine, with people still inside. It was a nightmare. Some fool had crashed into a herd of sheep at high speed and rolled into the desert like an eggbeater.

Holy SHIT thats good stuff. I always get giddy reading the first couple pages of this story. It runs about 20-25 more, and I dont have the patience to type that. Go buy the Book!

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The Doctor, The Sheep, and The Cadillac - Pt 1. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #5007827 - 12/02/05 06:24 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I TOTALLY read all of that.

:crankey:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: The Doctor, The Sheep, and The Cadillac - Pt 1. [Re: OJK]
    #5008652 - 12/02/05 10:59 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

So? You SHOULD have read all of that. And then went out and bought the book, and read the rest...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#5009237 - 12/03/05 03:21 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Damnit, read this shit....

--------------------

Offlinerickpsfuckyou
listening to Mozzy
Male

#5009356 - 12/03/05 04:43 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i read it, now i want the rest...

--------------------

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: The Doctor, The Sheep, and The Cadillac - Pt 1. [Re: rickpsfuckyou]
    #5009599 - 12/03/05 07:41 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

VERY nice clip from a book......but may i ask......is the title of the book - the title of this post?

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: The Doctor, The Sheep, and The Cadillac - Pt 1. [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #5009679 - 12/03/05 08:57 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

No....

its....

"Kingdom of fear....Loathsome secrets of a star-crossed child in the final days of the American Century"

--------------------

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
    #5009713 - 12/03/05 09:18 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

wow! I'm fucking HOOKED! I want to read the rest of that!

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5009845 - 12/03/05 10:19 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
No....

its....

"Kingdom of fear....Loathsome secrets of a star-crossed child in the final days of the American Century"

oh

in that case I've read it already

a good read, but not on a computer screen

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder