Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery
    #492177 - 12/15/01 04:48 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,
The subject is a little choppy but I can only fit so many characters:) The real title should say

Stealther: IP Chaining Program that you can acutally use to login into the Shroomery!

Ok, people have been PMing me and emailing me (which I more than welcome) and they've been telling me that they either can't get this whole idea of chaining proxy servers together or when they do it, they can't log into the Shroomery.

Well, thanks to this program, thats now changed. To log into the Shroomery, you need to accept Cookies. You're browser accepts the cookie and ta da! You're logged in. Well, if you chain proxy servers to hide your IP address, many servers won't allow cookies. Mostlly for junk emailing reasons.

So I went looking around (with all the free time I have, which is none:) ) And I found a program that is easy to use, and customizable. AND it has one feature that really caught my eye. This feature is that you'll be redirected from a different proxy server everytime you go to a different web page. Thats right, with every page you go to, even if its the same domain, you'll supposedly get a new/different IP address. Now thats pretty cool:)

So I got the program and I've been trying it out. So far so good. I installed in a few minutes, then configured my web browser to work with it, and that was it. Its Windows based so don't worry about changing any major settings.

After I got up and running I wanted to see if it actually worked. So I came here to the Shroomery. Well, at first it didn't but then I configured the "Cookie Control" under the "Proxy Engine" Tab and I removed all of the default domains and added the shroomery. I closed my browser, restarted it and now it works fine.

Then I wanted to test this "New IP address for every page" feature. So I went to http://www.all-nettools.com/pr.htm to test the IP address. And I'll be honest, its not bad, but sometimes my IP address did come up, not all the time, mabye about 70% of the time it was hidden. Just go to the link above and keep hitting the REFRESH button.

All and all I'd say give it a try if you're afraid of people logging your whereabouts.

The link to download Stealther is http://www.photono-software.de/Stealther/main.php3?language=eng

Oh, and for those of you who don't know how to find your IP address, its easy. Get online, then pull up a DOS prompt. When the prompt comes up simply type "ipconfig" - don't type the " " just type - ipconfig - then hit ENTER. You're real IP address will then magically pop up:)

Hope this helps

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Edited by Lana (12/15/01 04:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSinj0n
Stranger
Loc: Alabama, Georgia
Re: Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery [Re: Lana]
    #496735 - 12/20/01 06:36 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

First off... Lana, thanks for the link to this great software.

It seems to be very reliable, and I can only tell a very minor change in transfer speed.

If you use AOL, however, you will probably run into problems getting it to work. The easiest way around this is using Netscape or Mozilla to browse, instead of Internet Explorer. IE 5.5 with AOL 6.0 is practically impossible to use this software with (and that's what I'm using right now)... However, once I installed Mozilla, and configured the proxy as outlined by the Stealther help files, I was browsing anonymously within minutes!

IE 5.0 and below with AOL can be configured to use a proxy... It should be able to be configured the normal way, but if you have problems, try searching Yahoo for "configure proxy AOL"; you should find numerous links to sites that will help you get it all set up.

If anyone has any questions, or if you have problems setting it up, feel free to PM me, or simply reply here.

Laterz,

--------------------
-Sinjon

Edited by Sinj0n (12/20/01 07:30 AM)

Offlinejuubou
grower
Loc: New England
    #500851 - 12/25/01 01:38 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

When it comes to web security, I do things slightly differently, but I actually feel pretty good about it.

First -- my dialup ISP is Anonymizer. When you pay for dialup access ($59.95/3 months), you also receive an ssh tunneling account. They require no personal information, and you can pay with cash. So then...

Second -- setup SSH tunneling so that port 8080 on my machine is forwarded to Anonymizer, through the SSH tunnel, to port 80 on their side. From here, I can set my browser to use http://localhost:8080/ as the web proxy. This makes it so that all my web requests go encrypted from my system to Anonymizer, thus websites only see Anonymizer's IP (rigel.cyberpass.net). But wait, there's more:

Third, I set up the Squid caching web proxy, listening on port 3128 of my machine, which forwards all requests to port 8080. Set proxy to http://localhost:3128/. This helps cut down on the amount of traffic going out from my machine -- if it is cached locally, the browser will display it without even sending a hit to their server. But that's STILL not enough...

Fourth, I install the Junkbuster Proxy on port 5865 of my machine, and tell it to forward all requests to Squid on port 3128. Junkbuster keeps a blocklist of sites which should never have web requests sent to them (ad.doubleclick.net, servedby.advertising.com, etc, etc), and also blocks tracking cookies, banner ads, and web bugs. I then set my browser to use http://localhost:5865/ as proxy, and everything works fabulously.

I monitor my squid logs periodically looking for sites that I did not go to, and then add them to the junkbuster blocklist. I also use ssh tunneling to forward my local port 25 to Anonymizer's port 25, so that all of my outgoing email is encrypted between my machine and Anonymizer. I do the same with port 119 for Usenet, so that I can read newsgroups anonymously.

Then again, I'm paranoid.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery [Re: juubou]
    #500913 - 12/25/01 03:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hi Juubou,

Great post!

The SSH tunneling would be great to do, I've looked into things like SecureCRT and Windows based programs...they seem a little "shaky" to me but I'm picky.

Yeah, I'm paranoid too.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinejuubou
grower
    #501679 - 12/26/01 04:20 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Haven't ever used SecureCRT (and I don't use Windows at home), but in skimming download.com I just found Tunnelier, which claims to be an SSH2 port forwarder. The key, though, is having somewhere to ssh *to*. If your ISP doesn't offer shell accounts, they likely don't offer ssh access either. Hence my use of Anonymizer. There's also a project AT&T is working on called "Crowds", which is sort of a gnutella-style distributed multi-proxy-chaining deal, but I'm not sure if that ever got off the ground.

Offlinejuubou
grower
Re: Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery [Re: juubou]
    #501686 - 12/26/01 04:30 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Oh. Neat. Crowds did get off the ground.

Check it out... it even runs on Windows.

InvisibleAzulAgave
    #509727 - 01/04/02 01:28 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Lana if I was Vulcan (i.e. Spock) I would do a mind melt on you. Only because with you and on how fucking hot you are the mind melt would be twice as intense. Sex would be good too. =)

Offlinedioze1
Satans minion inthe war onlaughter
Loc: Up a hogs ass looking for...
Re: Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery [Re: AzulAgave]
    #525360 - 01/19/02 06:16 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

When you look up your IP address there are also two other things that appear, subnet mask and default gateway. what are these other two things?
Dioze1

--------------------
Not all that wander are lost.

Offlinezoodoo
Stranger
    #574529 - 03/09/02 08:02 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I use stealther myself. Great program. I had a few problems with it in the beginning, but It is now running nicely.

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery [Re: dioze1]
    #574543 - 03/09/02 08:30 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

Subnet Mask:  32-bit address mask used in IP to indicate the bits of an IP that are being used for the subnet address.

Ex: 
Your IP: 192.168.0.200
Mask: 255.255.255.224

Network Subnet = Your IP AND Mask
11000000 . 10101000 . 00000000 . 11001000
11111111 . 11111111 . 11111111 . 11100000
11000000 . 10101000 . 00000000 . 11000000 or 192.168.0.192

So the network address is 192.168.0.192

Default Gateway: Usually 1 IP address above your network address.  This is the machine that will act as a gateway to your internet.  More then likly though it leads to a bigger network and then to the internet.  But thats a whole other story :wink: 

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery [Re: windex]
    #838672 - 08/23/02 04:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Bump!

I think this is a program people would be looking for now...
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals