Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: Le_Canard]
    #5007174 - 12/02/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Quote:

Ramuh said:
Wait...are some christians seriously boycotting the happy holidays saying for real?

I'm a bit behind on the news lately with college+2jobs, but that just seems absurd.

Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses have boycotted Xmas for some time now. They also don't recognise Halloween, for obvious reasons. It must suck to a a JW...... :frown:

Yeah, thats slightly different though. Saying 'we don't believe in this holiday' and saying 'we wont buy from people who say happy holidays instead of christmas' are pretty different. One is just having a certain belief, and one is being intolerant to accepting any other beliefs in a way.

Oh, and it does suck IMO. My mom raised me as a JW till I was about 10  and started to think for myself a bit more.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePrajna
ReliablyUnreliable
 User Gallery

Loc: Proud Canadian
Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: Prajna]
    #5007188 - 12/02/05 03:38 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I'm curious...those of you who are atheists and celebrate Christmas, do you also celebrate Hanukkah?

Why not?

--------------------

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: Stonerguy]
    #5007205 - 12/02/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

If Jesus was still around I swear he'd be bitch slapping people right and left for spreading intolerance.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#5007550 - 12/02/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Prajna said:
I'm curious...those of you who are atheists and celebrate Christmas, do you also celebrate Hanukkah?

Why not?

Nope. The reason is because I wasn't raised with any jewish influence whatsoever. I grew up with Christmas. My family was hardly religious and besides Sunday morning Christmas services that was the extent that Jesus's birthday had on Christmas. It was a time for family and celebration with hardly any religious overtones. It will continue to be that way.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: looner2]
    #5007562 - 12/02/05 05:10 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

what the hell is wrong with happy holidays? Christmas is a holiday.

so is Hannukah and Kwanza and all the other winter holidays.

Am I missing something? Happy Holidays is an acceptable way to wish someone a Merry Christmas....... did the store ban everything that had "Christmas" in it or what?

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (12/02/05 05:10 PM)

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: leery11]
    #5007600 - 12/02/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

"Happy Holidays" implies you are celebrating something else other than just Christmas. And christians can't have you believing in anything they don't believe in themselves, or else everybody goes to hell or something fun like that.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: TheDude]
    #5007628 - 12/02/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Don't they know that Jews produce their TV specials? :lol:
(Thanks Carlos.)

But honestly.. "Happy Holidays" doesn't imply Christmas any more than any other holiday that happens to take place in the same month.  It just means, whatever you choose to celebrate, enjoy it.  And consume more goods!  CONSUME!!

I can see why hardcore intolerant people might not want to support the message of "happy holidays", for the same reason- it doesn't expressly imply their holiday.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #5007847 - 12/02/05 06:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Prajna said:

Why not?

Like looner, I to was raised with Christmas traditions.  My family was very religious however and the whole Jesus thing was a huge part of it all.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I formed my own opinions about God and left behind the religion that I had been raised with.  But the holiday traditions that surrounded Christmas will always be a part of my life.  Decorations, parties, gift giving, all that fun commercial BS that has nothing to do with Jesus.  Thats my Christmas now! :grin:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #5007879 - 12/02/05 06:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I'm curious, has anyone read the article posted? I wasnt as irate about the whole renaming issue as I was about the employee being fired for explaining why Walmart chooses to use happy holidays and the origins of christmas.

Ill copy a bit
The controversy was sparked when a woman recently complained to Wal-Mart that the store was replacing its "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays."

The League says the woman received an e-mail response from a customer-service representative named Kirby, reading exactly as follows:

Walmart is a world wide organization and must remain conscious of this. The majority of the world still has different practices other than "christmas" which is an ancient tradition that has its roots in Siberian shamanism. The colors associated with "christmas" red and white are actually a representation of of the aminita mascera mushroom. Santa is also borrowed from the Caucuses, mistletoe from the Celts, yule log from the Goths, the time from the Visigoth and the tree from the worship of Baal. It is a wide wide world.
Fogleman confirmed the original note was written by a Wal-Mart representative, and explained today:

"We at Wal-Mart believe this e-mail between a temporary associate and one of our valued customers was entirely inappropriate. Its contents in no way represent the policies, practices or views of our company. This associate, who was hired less than three weeks ago, is no longer employed by our company."

THis makes me wonder...why is the costumer valued and the employee not? because the costumer is being treated as a representitive for a legion of consumers...and the employee, well, he took money from walmart by being employed.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: peepeepottypants]
    #5007936 - 12/02/05 06:55 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

peepeepottypants said:
I'm curious, has anyone read the article posted? I wasnt as irate about the whole renaming issue as I was about the employee being fired for explaining why Walmart chooses to use happy holidays and the origins of christmas.

Ill copy a bit
The controversy was sparked when a woman recently complained to Wal-Mart that the store was replacing its "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays."

The League says the woman received an e-mail response from a customer-service representative named Kirby, reading exactly as follows:

Walmart is a world wide organization and must remain conscious of this. The majority of the world still has different practices other than "christmas" which is an ancient tradition that has its roots in Siberian shamanism. The colors associated with "christmas" red and white are actually a representation of of the aminita mascera mushroom. Santa is also borrowed from the Caucuses, mistletoe from the Celts, yule log from the Goths, the time from the Visigoth and the tree from the worship of Baal. It is a wide wide world.
Fogleman confirmed the original note was written by a Wal-Mart representative, and explained today:

"We at Wal-Mart believe this e-mail between a temporary associate and one of our valued customers was entirely inappropriate. Its contents in no way represent the policies, practices or views of our company. This associate, who was hired less than three weeks ago, is no longer employed by our company."

LAME.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: The christians that boycot "Happy holidays" [Re: MOTH]
    #5008084 - 12/02/05 07:38 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

if you want to get technical, the actual celebration we call christmas is pagan in nature.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder