Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflinePrajna
ReliablyUnreliable
 User Gallery

Loc: Proud Canadian
Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: Unagipie]
    #5011016 - 12/03/05 04:25 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Unagipie said:
Why do right wingers hate intellectualism so much? Are they stupid or something?

They hate it for the same reason that they hate almost everything.
They find it threatening, because they can't understand it.
Because they are driven by fear.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: Prajna]
    #5011052 - 12/03/05 04:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Is William F. Buckley one of THEM?

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #5011055 - 12/03/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
Is William F. Buckley one of THEM?

William F. Buckley is the exception that proves the rule.

--------------------

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: Silversoul]
    #5011083 - 12/03/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I just wanted to reccomend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It's about the McCarthy hearings, and how journalist Edward R. Murrow and his news team at CBS helped bring the bastard down. It gives a great perspective on the madness that can be brought about in a "with us or against us" atmosphere of fear.

One difference between the USA and the dictatorships that the leftists support is that you can fight things in court in the USA and other western countries. In many mid east countries including Saddam Hussein's regime, if you question the government they can give you the death penalty or just kill you for opposing the rulers. I say we liberate more Islamic theocracies from the evil Islamic rulers.

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: Los_Pepes]
    #5011090 - 12/03/05 04:49 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

"Modern Liberals, With Some Exceptions, Are Fascists. They Preach Peace At The Expense Of Liberty, Diversity At The Expense Of Common Sense, Equality At The Expense Of Fairness And Choice At The Expense Of Life. They Are The First To Speak About Rights, Yet They Seek To Deny You Yours If You Disagree With Them. They Vociferate The Importance Of Free Speech, Yet Do Everything In Their Power To Stifle Yours. They Demonize The Very System Which Allows Them The Freedom To Criticize In The First Place, And They Are The Last People In Line When It Comes To Defending The One Country On Earth That Would Ever Tolerate Their Hypocrisy. They Are Divisive, Immoral And Utterly Incapable Of Understanding Why Everything I Just Wrote Is The Truth." - Edward L. Daley

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5011108 - 12/03/05 04:55 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Do you have anything on-topic to add?

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5011142 - 12/03/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Los_Pepes said:
Quote:

Paradigm said:
I just wanted to reccomend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It's about the McCarthy hearings, and how journalist Edward R. Murrow and his news team at CBS helped bring the bastard down. It gives a great perspective on the madness that can be brought about in a "with us or against us" atmosphere of fear.

One difference between the USA and the dictatorships that the leftists support is that you can fight things in court in the USA and other western countries. In many mid east countries including Saddam Hussein's regime, if you question the government they can give you the death penalty or just kill you for opposing the rulers. I say we liberate more Islamic theocracies from the evil Islamic rulers.

I don't think it was the leftists that supported Saddam. Or Pinochet, or any of the military juntas helped into power by us during the Cold War.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5011190 - 12/03/05 05:25 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Surely, you're not presenting yourself as an intellectual in comparison to Looners....what?....simpleton. neanderthal?
It's not intellectualism we disrespect, it's the circle-jerk, navel-gazing, intellectual incest indulging, no-action douchebags who populate academia. They think intellectualism is an END and has it's own value. Intellectualism should be a means. Academia should not be a protectorate for societal refugees. We work. They jerk.

Huh? I think that's a bit off base. I don't know a single tenured professor that doesn't work their ass off to get things published. I would never want their job. I spent 8 months working in a dog kennel, doing nothing but scraping shit up (this was before I got promoted to actually walking the dogs). I'd rather spend my life doing that than putting in the kind of lab hours my boss does.

On Topic: Saw the movie over Thanksgiving. I thought it was pretty good. For some reason, I felt like they could have done more than simply reenact the events. It felt like they wanted to present a sort of fable, but for a lot of people - younger people really - more context would have been useful. I walked in with vague knowledge of McCarthy. My girlfriend said she wasn't familiar with him. I think kids today, and definitely kids 30 years from now, could rent the movie and think that the issues were just miniscule blips in Congress and a journalism.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: Gijith]
    #5011300 - 12/03/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

are you not in the US?

if you are, it may be time to find another girlfriend.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: Gijith]
    #5011642 - 12/03/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Surely, you're not presenting yourself as an intellectual in comparison to Looners....what?....simpleton. neanderthal?
It's not intellectualism we disrespect, it's the circle-jerk, navel-gazing, intellectual incest indulging, no-action douchebags who populate academia. They think intellectualism is an END and has it's own value. Intellectualism should be a means. Academia should not be a protectorate for societal refugees. We work. They jerk.

Huh? I think that's a bit off base. I don't know a single tenured professor that doesn't work their ass off to get things published. I would never want their job. I spent 8 months working in a dog kennel, doing nothing but scraping shit up (this was before I got promoted to actually walking the dogs). I'd rather spend my life doing that than putting in the kind of lab hours my boss does.

On Topic: Saw the movie over Thanksgiving. I thought it was pretty good. For some reason, I felt like they could have done more than simply reenact the events. It felt like they wanted to present a sort of fable, but for a lot of people - younger people really - more context would have been useful. I walked in with vague knowledge of McCarthy. My girlfriend said she wasn't familiar with him. I think kids today, and definitely kids 30 years from now, could rent the movie and think that the issues were just miniscule blips in Congress and a journalism.

I knew lots of tenured professors who mailed it in. At a pretty good university, too.

--------------------

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Good Night, and Good Luck [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5012729 - 12/04/05 01:30 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Have you seen Good Night and Good Luck?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]