Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemitchdot
chemicalenthusiast

Syringe/Needle Sterilization
    #4956256 - 11/19/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Alright.

I've been looking around for a bit about liquid cultures and such, seems like a good idea and lots of sciency fun.

Here's the deal, syringes are foriegn to me.
Quick story: I inoculated about two of my six jars and became so frustrated (backflow, needle clogging, etc.) that I asked my girlfriend (ex-nursing student) to finish the other four for me.

So I found a syringe supplier that I think I can deal with. Now, can these plastic syringes found at Inksupply.com be sterilized and reused?

I didn't see anything too helpful on the boards or in the FAQ's, but I did find the following at  Sidebars for New Era Injectables. The site's got something to do with birth control but the information (if applicable) sounds useful.

::STERILIZATION::
Reusable needles and syringes should be sterilized by autoclaving (steam sterilization) or dry heat.

Steam sterilization:
121?C (250?F) at 106 kPa (15 lbs/in2 pressure for 20 minutes for unwrapped needles and syringes, 30 minutes for wrapped items. Allow all items to dry thoroughly before removing.

Dry heat:
(glass or metal items only)
160?C (320?F) for 2 hours (total cycle time for heating up and cooling off is 3 to 3-1/2 hours). Needles should be sterilized at precisely 160?C (320?F) because higher temperatures can dull sharp edges.

Storage:
Unwrapped needles and syringes exposed to the air must be used immediately. In dry sterile containers they may be stored for no longer than one week. Wrapped needles and syringes can be stored for one week if the package remains dry and intact and for one month if sealed in a plastic bag.
---------------------
HIGH-LEVEL DISINFECTION

If sterilization is not possible, reusable needles and syringes should be high-level disinfected by boiling or steaming for 20 minutes and then allowed to dry. They can be used immediately or stored for up to one week in a clean, high-level disinfection of needles and syringes should be avoided.

A high-level disinfected container is prepared by boiling, if it is small enough, or soaking for 20 minutes in a plastic container filled with 0.5% chlorine solution. The chlorine solution can then be transferred to another container and reused. The container should be rinsed thoroughly with boiled water and allowed to air dry.

So whats the deal?

-m(d). :sniper:

--------------------
Plan for the worst
Hope for the best
and the rest was written.

:dancingshroom:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Syringe/Needle Sterilization [Re: mitchdot]
    #4956292 - 11/19/05 02:54 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The fact that they say "single use only" on them leads me to believe that they are syringes for medical use, even though they are being sold for a different purpose, so I'm almost positive they can be sterilized by any of the methods you described.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
    #4956299 - 11/19/05 02:54 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

When I first started years back...I had the same syringe for about a year. What I did was put some rubbing alcohol into a glass. I dropped the needle in. Then I sucked up the alcohol into the syringe and shook it, then emptied into the sink. I did this several times, sometimes with the needle on the syringe so it thoroughly cleaned everything.

While I was doing this, I was microwaving some water (around 5-10 minutes). When I was done with the alcohol part...I did the same thing with the water until there was no alcohol in the syringe or on/in the needle.

When all was clean...I sucked the VERY hot water into the syringe, put it in a zip lock with the needle/in its cover (did the alcohol thing with that too)...then put this into the fridge.

When it was cool...i did the ol' spore print/shot glass routine.

Always worked out fine.

Offlinemitchdot
chemicalenthusiast

Re: Syringe/Needle Sterilization [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #4956320 - 11/19/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Badass.

Thanks for your help.

--------------------
Plan for the worst
Hope for the best

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Syringe/Needle Sterilization [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #4956577 - 11/19/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
When I first started years back...I had the same syringe for about a year. What I did was put some rubbing alcohol into a glass. I dropped the needle in. Then I sucked up the alcohol into the syringe and shook it, then emptied into the sink. I did this several times, sometimes with the needle on the syringe so it thoroughly cleaned everything.

While I was doing this, I was microwaving some water (around 5-10 minutes). When I was done with the alcohol part...I did the same thing with the water until there was no alcohol in the syringe or on/in the needle.

When all was clean...I sucked the VERY hot water into the syringe, put it in a zip lock with the needle/in its cover (did the alcohol thing with that too)...then put this into the fridge.

When it was cool...i did the ol' spore print/shot glass routine.

Always worked out fine.

That is , exactly , to a tee , how I do mine :thumbup:

I keep the cover for the needle inverted and filled with alcohol . Dump it out right before placing over the needle. Make sure it's still clean.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

InvisibleHyphalTryptamin
Stranger

Re: Syringe/Needle Sterilization [Re: HippieChick]
    #4956637 - 11/19/05 04:34 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I make a solution of boiling water and bleach at a ratio of approximately 1:10 and let all the syringe components including needle sit for about 1/2 hour, making sure the plunger is pulled all the way back and the syringe is full. I then rinse everything out in very hot water, dry the needle with a paper towel and then swab it with alcohol, and flame it over my gas cooker, the dry cap is then replaced. As for the syringe, this is thoroughly rinsed out and then 2CCs of water is sucked up and the plunger pulled right back as to expose a little puddle of water in the body of the syringe. Then blast in the microwave on high for 4 mins. You're then good to go. :-)

--------------------

Offlinemitchdot
chemicalenthusiast

Re: Syringe/Needle Sterilization [Re: HyphalTryptamin]
    #4960945 - 11/20/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Killer.

So what I gather is that I need to:

A: Sterilize the syringe (fully submersed and draw/expel)
B: Sterilize the needle (fully submersed)
C: Attach both
D: Hot rinse both syringe/needle (draw and expel water)

And the antiseptic agent (be it bleach or alcohol) is strictly my choice?

Good work everyone.

m(d)

--------------------
Plan for the worst
Hope for the best

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#4961001 - 11/20/05 06:10 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I suck about 1cc into my syringe's then lay them down in the microwave and turn it on for about 30seconds until steam is shooting out of them. Then I let them sit for about 5 Min's.
I turn on the microwave for another 30's and repeat this a few time's.

While I'm doing this I have distilled water boiling on the stove.

After about 20 Min's of boiling the distilled water I shoot out the water in the syringe then fill the syringe with the boiling hot distilled water. Let it sit a few Min's. Shoot that out. Then refill the syringe and put it into a zip-lock and seal it right away.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4961002 - 11/20/05 06:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Do you happen to have a pressure cooker?

If so?

Simply wash them out, rinse well, allow them to dry, push the plunger all the way in, cap the needle. Then, either lightly wrap in aluminum foil, or put in an autoclave bag & PC for 1/2 an hour.

--------------------

Offlinemitchdot
chemicalenthusiast

Re: Syringe/Needle Sterilization [Re: agar]
    #4961218 - 11/20/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I indeed do have a pressure cooker.

And that sounds like less hassle than all that alcohol/bleach stuff. Shit dries my hands out. Know what I mean? I can't handle itchy hands.

I was just concerned that the syringes, being plastic, wouldn't handle the heat. I take it, this isn't a problem?

m(d)

--------------------
Plan for the worst
Hope for the best

InvisibleSillicybin
    #4993776 - 11/29/05 11:33 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I know this is an old thread, but:

Syringes are made to be able to withstand autoclaving.

You can PC them without worries.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag