Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
...drowned jars! w/ pics
    #498879 - 12/22/01 10:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Due to a faulty set-up for my jar incubator I have 13 jars with excess water in their bottoms w/o bacterial contamination yet. I hate to see all of my work go to waste. There's not too much water in the bottoms, just enough to cover the bottoms. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to either save my work or to use my jars to boost some other method.

Thank you for any ideas,
Joshua

UPDATE:

Here are some pics that show the excess moisture in my jars.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (12/29/01 03:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleslither
addict
Re: Help me reclaim my drowned jars! [Re: Joshua]
    #498975 - 12/23/01 12:13 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Your incubator setup has nothing to do with water being in the bottom of your jars, If there is ANY water in the bottom of your jars there is too much. I incubate my jars on shelving units, never had that problem. You obviously prepared your jars wrong.

BTW there's a forum called cultivation where all these basic questions are supposed to be posted. You'd probably get better answers, alot of people are so tired of seeing newbie questions in advanced that they won't answer them, at least that's how I feel.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Help me reclaim my drowned jars! [Re: slither]
    #498990 - 12/23/01 12:26 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

>Your incubator setup has nothing to do with water being in the bottom of your jars.

Sounds like an assumption. My jars did not show any signs of excess water until two and a half weeks after placing them in my incubator. That tells me that there was slow absorbtion of water over time.

>If there is ANY water in the bottom of your jars there is too much. I incubate my jars on shelving units, never had that problem. You obviously prepared your jars wrong.

Was your set-up dry? If so a comparison between your set-up and mine is invalid. Why not inform me of your working set-up.

>BTW there's a forum called cultivation where all these basic questions are supposed to be posted. You'd probably get better answers, alot of people are so tired of seeing newbie questions in advanced that they won't answer them, at least that's how I feel

I've tried posting in that forum, I don't seem to get any answers. I prefer to get replies from informed Shroomers with good experience.

So what is your set-up anyway? I could use some help.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Edited by Joshua (12/23/01 12:33 AM)

Invisiblealtarego
    #499188 - 12/23/01 08:55 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Joshua -

What else do you have in the jars (substrate, species, growth, etc.)?

More details might help get you a useful answer.

Best,
AE

Invisibleslither
addict
Re: Help me reclaim my drowned jars! [Re: altarego]
    #499215 - 12/23/01 11:29 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

My jars have a 3/8-1/2" hole in top, plastic ball lids, filter disks, kept in a room about 75-85deg f relative humidity stays under 50% which is important for an icubation/lab room to cut down on contams. And I always add gypsum to my grain.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Help me reclaim my drowned jars! [Re: altarego]
    #499389 - 12/23/01 04:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The jars were prepared w/ brf and verm. They were innoculated on the 1st of Dec. Most jars showed signs of good colonization until about a week ago. Most are 40-60% colonized. I am sure they are taking on water from my set-up. I cased 2/3 of one jar which was not colonized on the bottom. I placed the bottom 1/3 back in the jar and placed it back in my incubator. I have noticed that even more water is in this jar now.

Thanks,
Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblealtarego
    #499393 - 12/23/01 04:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I'm not really qualified to answer, since I don't care for the cake tek (not having ever tried it either), but I'd say see what happens. Remove them from the incubator if that is the source of the problem.

If they colonize fully, you're fine, if not, I'd scrap them and start again, because most likely they are contaminated. Sometimes "water" in a culture is in fact exudate from contaminants, often bacteria.

Hope this helps, or at least helps you to move on to grain/casing teks, where you will find (when you get the hang of it) better and more fruitful results.

- AE

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #499420 - 12/23/01 05:58 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

in cake method in jars, the simplest way to eliminate excess moisture is to invert the jar, thump it so the substrate comes loose off of the bottom and leave it inverted with the lid loose. this assumes that you are using metal lids. my neighbor's cat uses plastic ones.

method B is to invert the entire jar over some oven sterilized vermiculite or perlite in a baking pan. after about a day, go back to not having them that way.

in non-cake method, such as grain or birdseed, it is as simple as adding oven sterilized verm and shaking, but don't do that to a cake, as it is a waste of time.

OfflineTheJerk
Stranger
Loc: florida
Re: Help me reclaim my drowned jars! [Re: slither]
    #499550 - 12/23/01 08:32 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

In reply to:

BTW there's a forum called cultivation where all these basic questions are supposed to be posted. You'd probably get better answers, alot of people are so tired of seeing newbie questions in advanced that they won't answer them, at least that's how I feel.

Hmmm maybe he is a newbie and did not know any better
But hey why try to make someone feel welcome when it is so much easier making them feel stupid
Aint that right Slither ; )

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Help me reclaim my drowned jars! [Re: TheJerk]
    #500006 - 12/24/01 12:41 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

im currently only at the stage of BRF/verm also but my jars have 4 holes in the metal lids covered by tinfoil and are in an incubator which is dry itself where the jars set; but placed in an environment where the RH is approximately 95-100%. i have experienced no additional moisture in the jars collected from the incubator and fully colonized 5 maztec cakes and birthed them yesterday 12 days after innoculation. the rest (koh samui, TC, and Hawiian) are all over 80% colonized; with the hawaiians being about 80% and the others should be ready today or christmas. the hawaiians germinated last though; took about 4-5 days. the maztecs were faster i assume only because i made my own syringe for those (2nd gen for me; ALRIGHT!) with a full print and the others were ordered from lilshopofspores.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology