Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFURR
Incubator
    #498502 - 12/22/01 07:53 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hi everyone. I've recently started to use an incubator, since room temp is around 60 F, and it was taking more and more to colonize a full 1/4 pint jar. The incubator is a plastic square box with water and a fishtank heater in it. The jars are inside and the water level goes halfway of the jars. The box is covered with aluminum foil. The water temp is warm to the touch, and so are the jars. It's beeb a week now since I started with it, and there's mycelium growing in the jars, but only in the bottom. Before start using it, the bottom was the last part to develope mycelium; is that a sign that anything is going wrong? Should I change anything?
Thank you in advance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineparah
journeyman

Loc: illinois
Re: Incubator [Re: FURR]
    #498507 - 12/22/01 08:12 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

that does seem strange. did you innoculate from the top? what substrate are you using? can you post pics?

--------------------
======
"Hell, if you understand everything I said, you'd be me!" --Miles Davis

OfflineFURR
Re: Incubator [Re: parah]
    #498518 - 12/22/01 09:03 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

No pics, sorry. Inoculated from the top PF style (4 holes on the lid sides). Substrate is BRF.

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #498523 - 12/22/01 09:43 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

my best guess would be that the jars may slightly dry and/or when you injected sporewater it ran to/collected at the bottom and being such small jars the needle should go almost to the bottom aniiways. most if my 1/2 pint jars and about half of the quart ones colonized the bottoms first and then upward from there and innoc points. i used just over 2cc per jar and packed my substrate VERY loosely and when doing it i saw most of the sporejuice run right down the side to the bottom because it was so airy. next time i plan on putting more in the jars to make it more dense; i just made sure these ones were REALLY loose this time. also noticed that theyve shrunk a good 1/4" from original jar diameter and theyre about 90% done- cant wait to birth them tomorrow!

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineFURR
Re: Incubator [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #498569 - 12/22/01 12:03 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Thx Beppo. Yes, i saw some of the spores liquid going all the way down to the bottom, but i think some of it touched the sides on the way down. I'm more concerned about the temp in the bottom of the incubator (the water part). Should I add some more water so it could raise to the jars lids?
Thanks again

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #498576 - 12/22/01 12:15 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

is the setup covered or open? i was in that incubator setup about 3 months ago; and have made a slight modification with a major improvement. i put a smaller tub inside the bigger tub of water and put the jars in the dry tub which floats in the water constantly. cover the dry container so moisture does not drip in there and get your jars all wet and then cover the larger container to keep heat/moisture inside. you can now stack your jars in the smaller dry container ad fill water up as high as you want in the heated water chamber. plus when you wanna take them out and lok at them just remove the smaller tub and place it on your table and do it; you dont need to wipe off every jar or worry about the water getting contaminated and getting to your jars somehow.

--------------------

OfflineFURR
    #498583 - 12/22/01 12:39 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, that sounds great. The setup is covered with tin foil, keeping temp and moisture (too much) inside. I'm gonna try a couple of tupperware, and place the jars inside, then everything inside the main box with water to the top of the tupperware and the fishtank heater in it. I hope it works! I will post the progress here.
Thanks a lot, Beppo

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #498598 - 12/22/01 01:14 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i use a large rubbermaid container like everyone else uses for fruiting chambers and large straw casings with maybe 3" of standing water in it at most. the smaller tub has a lid on it that opens up and stays connected at the rear and snaps in the fromt. both were bought at ames for under $25 for both. the humidity cannot be too high in there; 95% is ok or better than room humidity because your jars can take as long as they want without drying out. youll realize the humidity isnt a problem once you keep the jars in a seperate dry container and that the actual problen is with water droplets on your jars and water being all over your tinfiol getting all over the place when you try and move it.

--------------------

OfflineFURR
    #498602 - 12/22/01 01:22 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

You're right, i have water all over the table every time i check the jars, lol
Thx again

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags