Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music?
    #4982927 - 11/26/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The day before Thanksgiving, all of the shows on archive.org availabe for download became available only for hi-fi streaming.

Take a look.

Anybody know any details as to why they are doing this? Danksis got an e-mail talking about it, in detail and they were saying something about Jerry's ex-wife doing it. I also think Phill has something to do with it, but that is purely speculation on my part. I'll see if I can find that e-mail.

They also completely took off about 1500 shows from archive. What the fuck is going on? :confused:

--------------------

:murray:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: blissedout]
    #4982932 - 11/26/05 11:50 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

a lot of bands have been doing it lately.

its not the sharing of the music thats prohibited, its the sharing of the digital files for download that most bands are trying to get rid of.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Jim]
    #4982944 - 11/26/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, but why take off so many shows completely and only allowing streaming with hi-fi? That only allows about half of the folks to even be able to listen to their stuff, without having to download it. I stream ALOT and it doesn't affect me, but I have alot of people that this will be fucking over.:thumbdown:

--------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Jim]
    #4982947 - 11/26/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

bt.etree.org...download shows there

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
    #4982950 - 11/26/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yeah they did. Fucking disgrace to Jerry and the fans.

Greed, the worlds driving force!

Here is a link to an online petition to put an end to this bullshit.

Free the SoundBoards ! :smile:
http://www.petitiononline.com/gdm/petition.html

Billy Corgans last band, Zwan, allows free downloads form the national archive, but the Dead won't?

Something is seriously wrong with this.

--------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: emptywisdom]
    #4982956 - 11/26/05 11:58 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

They still do allow it to my knowledge, unless bt hasn't caught up with the new policy, but certain bands hate teh digital age, ie the allman brothers dont' allow digital trading...

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

#4982965 - 11/26/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for that link. Petition signed! This is bullshit! Seriously, what is the world coming to that the Dead's music is locked down?:sad:

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #4983163 - 11/26/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, signed as well!

This is a disgrace to Jerry's memory!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineDeadHeadNotLed
Stranger
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Ripple]
    #4983256 - 11/26/05 01:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

This was Grateful Dead Productions decision. They are having financial trouble, so much that they had to lay off an employee who was there since the beginning. They will make SBD's available to the public eventually, for a price. Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, read this article by David Gans. I think it sums it up pretty well.

-------------------------------------------

Yesterday the Grateful Dead's archive was removed from public access at archive.org. From the announcement:

...the Internet Archive has been asked to change how the Grateful Dead concert recordings are being distributed on the Archive site for the time being. The full collection will remain safe in the Archive for preservation purposes. Here is the plan: Audience recordings are available in streaming format (m3u).

Soundboard recordings are not available.

The howling has begun, and the sense of entitlement that has always concerned me is in full flower.

Many are quoting the famous Jerry Garcia statement, "Once we're done with it, you can have it," or words to that effect.

I think we need to get a little perspective here.

First of all, when Jerry said that - and he said it more than once, so we know he meant it - tape trading was an important aspect of life in the Deadhead community. It was a one-to-one affair, for the most part, and although there were some social pathologies in evidence, it was largely a manifestation of our love for the music and our desire to enlighten the world and turn our friends on.

That is a far cry from what is happening now. The internet Archive and all the other online distribution sources are high-speed, mass-distribution systems that make the best quality recording available to all who know where to look for them. That is a good thing, of course, culturally - but there is an economic element to this that must be taken into account.

I've read a ton of angry posts in the last 24 hours, from people who are convinced the greedy Grateful Dead are doing this to preserve their champagne-and-Porsche lifestyles. "I've given them thousands of dollars over the years, for tickets and CDs and t-shirts," I read. "How dare they take away my instant access to all their music just so they can make money off it?"

A couple of weeks ago there was another round of layoffs at GDP. A few more people - friends and fellow Deadheads - lost their jobs because GDP isn't making enough money to keep them on board. I heard that one of the casualties of this last downsiziing was Ram Rod, who was a member of the GD road crew from the beginning. I really don't think anyone took lightly the decision to let that brother go.

"They are doing this in order to protect their download business," is another cry I've heard. Well, yeah, and in what universe is that an unreasonable position?

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I have a job on the periphery of the Grateful Dead organization, but I am not privy to their decision-making process and I don't depend on them for my income. I help to promote their official releases by playing them on the radio, obviously, but I also play a lot of unreleased music (and I've gotten some of that unreleased music from archive.org).

I have sympathies on both sides of this issue, but I am also detached enough from it to have a perspective that I hope you'll at least consider.

There's a petition online directed at GDM and promising a boycott. "Now it appears doing the right thing for the fans, has given way to greed."

I think it is worthwhile to ask ourselves if there isn't some greed on the other side of the equation.

--------------------------------------------------------

Be grateful for what you got.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: DeadHeadNotLed]
    #4983322 - 11/26/05 02:02 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

"Once we're done with it, you can have it.

enough said.

call the fans greedy some more, see how much support and sympathy you get.

They've been makeing questionable decisions for a long time. Look at what they did with Jerry's guitars. Disgracefull. I can't belive this was a necessary action to take.

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4983384 - 11/26/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

horse shit

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: gdman]
    #4983410 - 11/26/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm...That article was a good read....tells the other side of things

if they cant afford to keep basic crew with them though...geez...i think they need a better accountant....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4983412 - 11/26/05 02:45 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I guess I won't be buying anymore cds, shirts or posters from them anytime soon

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4983413 - 11/26/05 02:45 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gdman said:
horse shit

--------------------
yawn...
SG

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4983431 - 11/26/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It's not like back in the day though, when everybody involved in their productions could count on all the money that the tour would bring in.

And it's like they've outlawed trading of their music... they just don't want ALL of it in one location that is not exactly their own. There are other prominant bands who have large taping/trading followings whose music is not available on the Archive, but is still just as available for those in the Know.

There is still plenty of music flowing around the internet, you just have to be a little more savvy in how to come across it.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #4983808 - 11/26/05 05:21 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

this is bullshit, blaming all this on the internet is a fucking cop out. Think about it, what better way to spread the love and light of the music then by using something that BILLIONS of people access everyday?

to me this:

Quote:

That is a far cry from what is happening now. The internet Archive and all the other online distribution sources are high-speed, mass-distribution systems that make the best quality recording available to all who know where to look for them. That is a good thing, of course, culturally - but there is an economic element to this that must be taken into account.

translates into this:

Quote:

Oh shit, we've just realized the potential of the internet and a way to make money off something that should be and was free. Lets fuck over all the loyal fans, newbies, and casual listeners just so we can pad our bank accounts a bit more

You know, i can sympathize with the production company being tight on cash. But, wtf, its the dead. ANY tour they go on is going to attract heads. If they need money so fucking bad why dont they throw a few shows? It makes no sese to me at all to suddenly change things to the exact opposite of what they used to be because of new technology and a short cash supply. There are plenty of other ways to make money besides fucking over the listeners. I know if they started a donation fund id throw a few bucks there way to help them out. After all the deads music has helped me out over the year its the least i could do to give back.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinewharfrat12
Stronger thanDirt

Loc: Sinking beneath the water...
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: coda]
    #4983868 - 11/26/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Luckily I've got all my favourite shows and almost every good SBD recording from the archive downloaded. I got about 70 shows downloaded from that site...phewww

--------------------

"Tell me the cost, I can pay let me go, tell me love is not lost.
Sell everything, without love day to day insanity's king."

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4983895 - 11/26/05 05:43 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

well this is all a serious bummer to me,

and i dont even download music.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: wharfrat12]
    #4983906 - 11/26/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

im pretty pissed about this. it obviously woundlt fly if jerry was still alive. ive been buying cds like crazy lately and a few shirts. this makes me sad.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: coda]
    #4983924 - 11/26/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

You know, i can sympathize with the production company being tight on cash. But, wtf, its the dead. ANY tour they go on is going to attract heads. If they need money so fucking bad why dont they throw a few shows? It makes no sese to me at all to suddenly change things to the exact opposite of what they used to be because of new technology and a short cash supply. There are plenty of other ways to make money besides fucking over the listeners. I know if they started a donation fund id throw a few bucks there way to help them out. After all the deads music has helped me out over the year its the least i could do to give back.

precisley. If they are tight on cash, let it be know. I doubt there is any other community that would be as sympathetic and supportive as the deadheads, as long as they would just play a fair hand and not get greedy on us. If thats the game they wanna play so be it. There is absolutley no worse buisness strategy possible than to alienate and disrespect your fans and supporters. IT's like they are trying to destroy the beauty of what they represent. Wtf?

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: DeadHeadNotLed]
    #4983935 - 11/26/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I don't believe for a second that Ram Rod was laid off, I'm sure there are many new employees who don't have their lives dedicated to the music who could have gone.

It's bullshit, it's all about greed.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineOriginal
God, I lovethis...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Monterey, CA
    #4984033 - 11/26/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

One acronym(sp?)...

FTP

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonized cakes smell like South Florida...

Seriously...
---------------------------------
I can't sleep cuz the mexicans keep lighting their fireworks...
---------------------------------
If ya don't want trouble, ya gots ta crumble...

-Johnny Cochran on the use of crumbled vs. whole cakes..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Original]
    #4984133 - 11/26/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Who knows wtf is going on, but i doubt its for pure greed seeing as you can still download ratdog and phil shows...I don't know if the philosphy has really changed. TBH we need more info before jumping to conclusions. There are 80+ gd shows on bt.etree.org at the moment including many soundboards, if they wanted all the online trading to stop they would have been asked to pull those as well no? I will remain skeptical and wait and see,but i'll still be spinning at every ratdog show i can

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Ripple]
    #4984165 - 11/26/05 06:54 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ripple said:
I don't believe for a second that Ram Rod was laid off, I'm sure there are many new employees who don't have their lives dedicated to the music who could have gone.

It's bullshit, it's all about greed.

I agree 100%

--------------------

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
    #4989523 - 11/28/05 12:42 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4969851/an/0/page/14

I don't think Gans has too much credibility, because he's a DJ and hence has unlimited access to Grateful Dead music. He doesn't need to use archive.org at all, and the site isn't intended for the music industry.

Two years ago, the only Grateful Dead song I could name was Touch of Grey, and I'd be hard pressed to recall the lyrics. Over the past two years, the message board, reviews, and archive itself on archive.org has allowed me to share the joy of previous generations of Dead Heads. Over those two years, I've sunk hundreds of dollars into the Grateful Dead organization, going to two Dead-only shows plus Bonnaroo 2004, attending Bonnaroo 2005 and Gathering of the Vibes 2005 with Ratdog, purchasing several shirts and one sticker, and have recommended these shows to others. Looking at the situation purely in economic terms, archive.org was part of a two-way street of capital flows in BOTH directions. Now Dead Heads are getting much less value for their money.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4989666 - 11/28/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

WTF?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Rose]
    #4989694 - 11/28/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

My thoughts exactly.:nonono:

The world is definitely coming to an end.

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
    #5925255 - 08/02/06 12:23 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I signed

--------------------
:orly:

Offlinethedestroyer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #12190871 - 03/12/10 03:11 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

jerry radio is pretty cool. i know this is about the dead but oceans of ocyrus is a good site to. also you should read icculous all of the answers are in the book.

OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunny Afternoon in
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: thedestroyer]
    #12190928 - 03/12/10 03:20 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

good bump brah ::facepalm:
:intardnet:

--------------------

Song of the week, click Huey:

Song of the week list in journal.

Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Grateful Dead stopping the free sharing of their music? [Re: Tedwilto]
    #12191145 - 03/12/10 03:55 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Tedwilto said:
good bump brah ::facepalm:
:intardnet:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #12191257 - 03/12/10 04:14 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

The sense of entitlement from most of you is the funniest (and saddest) thing I have seen in a very long time.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder