Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Books... [Re: Anubis]
    #3999279 - 04/01/05 08:50 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My personal favorite is still 1984 by George Orwell.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Books... [Re: Cloud9]
    #3999517 - 04/01/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Bulgokov is ace, but stephen king s-u-c-k-s. Maybe his older stuff was good.

read *crime and punishment* before you read anything else. make sure you get the latest penguin translation though, its the best. Same goes for Margarita.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Books... [Re: Doom]
    #4000696 - 04/01/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

King doesnt suck man your just one of the snobby assholes that believe that if its popular is not good enough. Its not all about the language man The best books are ones that have a great story, but if you find one that has a great story and great language you should treasure it. The Dark Tower books by Stephen King are one of those books with great language and an original and amazing story, and thats why I reccommend them to people.

But I think if you really wanted to give a go at a King book Mr. DOOM you should try "hearts in atlantis". I would have to say its kings best pure writing. He makes things that should be boring or just space fillers interesting. And its one of the few books I've read that have made me laugh out loud, and cry. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
Re: Books... [Re: blaze2]
    #4002086 - 04/01/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I really, truly, honestly don't like Stephen King either. I'm not just saying that like some sort of snobby asshole, and I doubt that the other guy was either. YOUR reaction however, seemed to be kneejerk. I'm giving it another try this weekend though. I've got an 18 hour drive ahead of me and plan on listening to The Gunslinger on my way down. Hopefully I can break through to the point of understanding this man's greatness. We'll see, but this will be my last go at it.

While we're at it, like I said, I'm taking a pretty long drive this weekend, and one just as long the next, and I'd like to get a few audio books. Any suggestions? I've got The Gunslinger, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but am looking for one or maybe two more. So, if there are any must reads that happen to be on audio books, let me know.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Books... [Re: PoopShooter]
    #4002104 - 04/01/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I never liked stephan king until i read "The Dark Half". Thats a fucked up book.

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: Books... [Re: Cloud9]
    #4003741 - 04/02/05 03:06 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Cloud9 said:
My personal favorite is still 1984 by George Orwell.

Good choice. Very compelling reading, especially for current times.

I suggest The Culture of Makebelieve by Derrick Jensen. Jensen is a great writer and he intertwines alot of information in this. I seriously felt changed by this book. It gave me a new perspective on civilization & culture. This suggestion comes from the bottom of my heart. I'm a member of Derrick's discussion group and I can rightfully say he's a nice guy.

one review:

From Publishers Weekly
Writing with the same driven passion and intense intelligence as his critically acclaimed A Language Older Than Words, which examined the interconnections between personal and social violence, Jensen says this book "is more about racism and far more broadly hate as it manifests itself in our Western world." As in the earlier work, Jensen paints on a huge canvas he details American racism from the genocidal slave trade through lynchings to the 2000 murder of Amadou Diallo by NYC police, and covers a wide range of other cultural horrors as well: the massacres of Native American people, the Holocaust, the 8,000 deaths from the 1984 Union Carbide gas leak in India, and the deaths of 500,000 children in Iraq. The book is packed full of startling details South African apartheid laws were enacted at the direct request of the De Beers diamond company to facilitate business; aspects of Christian doctrine supported slavery until about 100 years ago. But the uniqueness and enormous power of Jensen's work is his ability to forge these events into an emotionally compelling and devastating critique of the intellectual, psychological, emotional and social structures of Western culture. Along with greed and globalization he says that the valuing of production over life and the abstract over the particular have set Western culture on a course that will end "really, with the end of the planet." While some readers might take umbrage at his more unsettling associations he compares Hitler's political language to Teddy Roosevelt's Jensen's intricate weaving together of history, philosophy, environmentalism, economics, literature and psychology has produced a powerful argument that demands attention in the tradition of such important books as Herbert Marcuse's Eros and Civilization and Brigid Brophy's Black Ship to Hell.

amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846

chelsea green publishing:

http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/cultureofmakebelieve

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Books... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4004509 - 04/02/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Healing Journey by Claudio naranjo.

This book covers the first and original research into the therapeutic values of MDA, MMDA, Ibogaine and Harmala and Harmine. A great book by researcher from Chili. Now rare and out of print and hard to find.

Also:

The Ghost Dance: The Origins of Religion by Weston La Barre, author of the Peyote Cult.

This book is about primitive man's discovery amongs food-hunter gatherers of hallucinogenic mind-altering plants which may or may not have led primitive societies to come to terms with deity and the idea of deity.

Two excellent books.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (04/02/05 10:45 AM)

Offlinereefercactushead
Ask. Why.Confusion.

Loc: PA
Re: Books... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4973695 - 11/23/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

TERENCE MCKENNA

--------------------
Know.

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Books... [Re: MeatSpace]
    #4973865 - 11/23/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Justine and Philosophy in the Bedroom by the Marquis De Sade

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Books... [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4974176 - 11/23/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey
The Book of the Subgenius by Rev Ivan Stang
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
The Stranger by Albert Camus
120 Days in Sodom & Other Writings by Marquis de Sade
A Collection of Essays by George Orwell
Short Stories of Ernest Hemmingway
The Surrealist Manifesto by Andre Breton

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Books... [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4975383 - 11/24/05 06:31 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder