Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Old timers straw tek progress *pics* [Re: bassplayer74]
    #512796 - 01/07/02 12:42 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

None of my straw colonized hardly at all. Some small patches grew but it never colonized like it was supposed to. I cant quite figure out exactly what I did wrong. Here's exactly what I did again, please tell me if you think you know where I screwed up.

First I cooked some straw in a metal wash tub at 160F for an hour. Then I let it cool and drain for several hours. Then I laid out about 4 or 5 inches of it in a big tub and sprinkled pf cake powder all over it and mixed in completely. Kept temp around 75F(thats as high as I could get it). And for humidity all I did was keep the lids on the tubs. The walls of the tub stayed wet. I waited and waited and only got VERY minimal growth after like 10 days. Now its been almost 3 weeks and the small patches that did grow have died. Weird huh? The only thing I can think to do to help next time is to maybe cover the straw with a sheet of plastic with holes in it. Other than that, I am at a loss. I thought I did everything right. I guess not. Now, I'm just trying to get the remainder of my pf cakes to fruit and I cant even get them to pin. I guess I just suck. Well, I can't say that because I have fruited cakes before and had great results. For some reason this time its just not working. The only difference is when I had success before I was using a humidifier and this time I'm just using damp verm to keep the humidity high. Any help you can offer would be awesome.

Thanks

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #512824 - 01/07/02 01:17 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

My friends are now reprting much success with this STRAW TEK.

I'm starting to think that you either had some suckey ass straw (most prefer wheat straw) perhaps it was just too dry an enviroment.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (01/07/02 01:59 AM)

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#512831 - 01/07/02 01:34 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

My thoughts: You don't need to blend the mycellium. Clumps are fine. If you break the cakes too much, you'll slow the mycelliums regrowth and expose more surface area to contaminats. Remember after you crumble cakes/ and before the mycellium covers the exposed nutrients there is a higher chance of contams.

Using larger chunks, the mycellium would spread more locally but you can mix the straw every two days or so to split the growing chunks up.

As far as wetness of the straw, it seems a no briainer. After pasteurizing in water, strain it overnight and squeeze it out in a tshirt style bag. When nothing drips off the squeezing, then its right.

Also, be careful about raising the temp to high. What happens is that straw/hay get real hot on their own when you stack it. Its metabolizing or something. Overheating will encourage contams and dry out the mycellium.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #512873 - 01/07/02 03:06 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

View my hay tray post under pictures. Let me know if you need more info.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Anonymous

#512915 - 01/07/02 05:20 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I have used several diffent strains with this method at the same time under the same perameters with different results.. have had B+ side by side with PESA and watched the B+ go to shit while the PESA takes off, that is because the PESA is very vigorous and spreads like a mofo, it was climbing the walls; and the B+ that I was using was some dead, slow ass degenerate mycelium. It really does help to use a healthier strain with straw, and you know your mycelium is healthy when it fluffs out and look like a marshmellow in its jars, PESA is very good like this. So are Cambodians. That would be my first advice, also do not 'blend', that is bad... you are setting yourself up for failure by 'blending'.. do not use a coffee grinder, that is the same thing as 'blending'... . The only 'correct way is to 'chop' the cakes with a chopper, or food proccessor, like OT says, 'cornmeal consistancy', no shortcuts ok. Thirdly, dont forget to soak your straw overnight before you pasturize. Finally, be sure to place a peice of seran wrap over the top of the straw while its spawning, tuck it into the sides, poke a few holes in it... this helps, and may actually be critical to the process. keep the temps in the 80's during this part of the process. I am sorry to hear of your negative results with ot tek, I have seen what you describe happen also, I would say again most importantly to get a vigorous strain and it will spread into its host. If you are willing to try again I will send you some pesa prints to work with; PM me if you are interested.

P

OfflineJammer

Re: Old timers straw tek progress *pics* [Re: Anonymous]
    #513383 - 01/07/02 03:27 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

There is another awesome post with pics of another member's straw tek (I believe it was Joshuwa)- where he grinded up the mycelium with a blender and within a week it's white as cotton!!

The thread has the word "hay" in the title, when in reality he is useing wheat straw. Based on those pics it apears to be MUCH faster than the crumble cake method.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineJammer

Re: Old timers straw tek progress *pics* [Re: djfrog]
    #513396 - 01/07/02 03:38 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Check out this thread with pics of what straw can look like when inoculated with a blended up B plus cake:

(copy/paste)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=512646&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Jammer&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=507639

I hope the URL works, it seems to have my handle imbeded in it from this end.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
Old timers straw tek *pics*UPDATE 1/10 [Re: bassplayer74]
    #516397 - 01/10/02 01:01 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hi all,

Next attemp at oldtimers tek has been on a smaller scale. 1 small Rubbermaid filled with about 2-3 inches of straw. Used 2 pf cakes for innoculation. This time, a piece of aluminum foil with holes in it has been placed directly on top of the straw. This seems to make all the difference. This pic was taken after only 2 days. It's just about "bricked out".

Cool huh? Now if we can just get the casing right... BTW, the cakes that we birthed into rubbermaid tubs almost 2 weeks ago still have not changed in appearance at all. We are using classic pf strain. Temp 75F and Humidity 95-98%. Once a day fanning. Any suggestions? Thanks

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

Offlinefrancisco
Richman Sporeman
Loc: USA
Re: Old timers straw tek progress *pics* [Re: MAIA]
    #644251 - 05/25/02 01:43 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hay is so much more nutritous,that it almost aways is overcome by contams.I use wheat straw as first choice

--------------------
Well...Maybe just a little.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies