Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineArchDruid
addict
Loc: Oregon
Psychedelianism or Learyism
    #494428 - 12/18/01 12:48 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Since the emergence of the counterculture in this country there has been an infant baby religion emerging. A religion so young it does not even have a name. A religion commited to peace through all hardship. A religion of acceptance and love for all beings. A religion of introspective almost taoist meditative beliefs. A religion who's sacraments have been made un-available to it. On a side note was wine kept from the Roman Catholics during prohibition?
This religion has been hated, branded and subjigated(sp?) all of it's existance. Yet still it endures. This religion who's basis of beliefs are bound to love, not hate; acceptance not judgement. No matter your religious background or system of beliefs, surely they can respect, even intigrate and learn from this. Most organized religions are based on these things yet lower themselves to hate and violance. Ours has not hurt anyone. Yet it is still looked down upon and not recognised(sp?) as a legitimate religion.
After what happened at Rainbow farm, I believe it is now the time to emerge ourselves with an affiliation to this belief system and end this infintile chastening of OUR people.
This religion is not a religion of a specific god or gods, but a religion for religions. It accepts all beliefs and respects them. I think that Christians, Buddhists, Muslims and all other religions can find a place with us. While retaining there own beliefs. Maybe it's not a religion at all but a needing to refine the religions of old. And reiterate the teachings of peace, love and acceptance. I don't know, but I believe that it deserves recognition as well as any.
I here by offer a name, Learyism.
Illustrating the pioneer that put into words what we all were thinking and could not. It comes from his term of Psychedelianism which I think covers it quite well. I think though that the establishment would frown on this name saying it is a religion of drug use, which is not true. It only seeks to aquire enlightenment through old established customs enhanced by the use of god's gifts to this earth. All religions were steaped in the use of these plants since the dawn of time, It still is a mystery to me why the usage stopped all of a sudden seemingly. I think it has to do with some sort of control mechanism, although I don't presume to know.
I know this might be un-popular to some and I can understand that. But to those who do not agree, ask yourself. Is not agreeing with something reason enough to keep under a heel.

Anyways something to think about. I do sware to all of you who read this. That from this day my religion will be this one, whether or not it retains a name or not. I will spend my days fighting to get this religion recognised for all the good souled people who were kept under heel for these "COUNTER-modern-CULTURE" beliefs. As well as to secure our right to OUR sacraments.

--------------------
" I have decided to become an example for others, although I have never been one for moderation. I have decided never to eat LSD while asleep, never to refrain while awake, and to never eat less than 10 hits at a time."

Edited by ArchDruid (12/18/01 12:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Re: Psychedelianism or Learyism [Re: ArchDruid]
    #494454 - 12/18/01 01:44 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

That name's not going to work. the last thing we need is another religion named after or based on the teachings of one man.

no disrespect.

but yes I suppose a name is needed as long as you folks have to fill out those census forms telling your race and religion and stuff....bah. yuck.

OfflineArchDruid
addict
Re: Psychedelianism or Learyism [Re: Traveller]
    #494471 - 12/18/01 02:13 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

While I do agree with your comment about the name being about one man, I did not mean to say that this infant religion was soley based on his teachings. But rather that he above all others who are pioneers in this field deserves the honor.
Perhaps the term Psychodelic Shamanism.
Although again I feel that the arguement could be made that it gives a feeling of a "drug" based religion.

--------------------
" I have decided to become an example for others, although I have never been one for moderation. I have decided never to eat LSD while asleep, never to refrain while awake, and to never eat less than 10 hits at a time."

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #494481 - 12/18/01 02:23 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Read the "Book of the Subgenius" or some Joseph Campbell.
I laughed at the common threads...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinereu_bent
Stranger
    #494494 - 12/18/01 02:46 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

there need be no name. there need be no creed. that is what destroys this so called learyism and what is responsible for the corruption of it. however i commend you. it is not a topic that is easily communicated without much controversy and you have done well. i will not follow you, but i will stand beside you.

OfflineArchDruid
addict
Re: Psychedelianism or Learyism [Re: reu_bent]
    #494557 - 12/18/01 04:45 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you, you are my brother in soul.
To walk side by side is a greater honor than to be followed.
I do agree about the "cheapening" of it through a "label".
But in order for a religion to be a recognisable one it must have a name. It need not to have one in it's infancy though. We shall see how things develope.
Perhaps Leary should mearly be recognised as a founding father. Mearly was the wrong word but I could think of none other.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #494585 - 12/18/01 06:21 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

"aquarian conspiracy" (marilyn ferguson)
the attempts to find ways to help people wake up come from many sources...
there are already in existence a number of psychedelically-oriented religious groups...
the church of the tree of life
the fane of the psilocybin mushroom
neo-american church (art kleps)
& more, some with websites, some reviewed in articles, also interesting related link-type stuff at erowid & csp, & thefane has some nice links & webrings, & spiritplants & theforbiddenfruit & more i'm sure...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #494683 - 12/18/01 09:58 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

In my church I worship the sun.
Not polytheistic, or containing any aspects of inferiority.
In that case I will pass on this god to you.
You can worship it or die.
Thank You for your time.
And don't talk bad about the sun either.
Karma will attack you.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #496890 - 12/20/01 11:21 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I say we say fuck religion(no disrespect to those who do believe in it though). Let's just call it:

"Spirituality".

Learyism and psychedelicism are good to, but spirituality is different than religion.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #497037 - 12/20/01 02:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Holy Cow of the Himalayas! If Tim Leary had been buried instead of cremated and shot into outer space, he'd be laughing his Crypt-Keeper-looking ass off! I met Tim twice, almost 20 years apart, and have read much of his stuff. An Irish-Catholic originally, he couldn't fit the Psychedelic Experience into the religious 'form' of Catholicism, so he initialy turned to Hinduism. It is every individual's creative responsibility to synthesize and integrate one's mystical experiences into forms and words that lots of people are familiar with.

The mystical dimension of the world's religions does have room for these experiences. The 'shewbread,' the 'manna,' the 'soma,' the 'eucharist,' the sacramental attitude can be found everywhere. One needs to wed it to meaningfully created rituals and a high sense of ethics (a universal ethic that includes peoples of other faiths, and respect for animals as well). If these experiences do not become 'ensconsed,' or 'framed' within rituals in one's life, they tend to 'evaporate' from memory, and become relegated to 'some crazy things I did in my youth,' like a lot of people my age who are just carbon-copies of their boring, secular, materialistic aged parents. Most of my peers didn't integrate these experiences into their personalities, and thus, lost them. They were not transformed. Religions are outer forms that frame and protect the sacred experience of its founder. Don't take the husk for the kernal, and religion is good. Modify your own.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineArchDruid
addict
Re: Psychedelianism or Learyism [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #497182 - 12/20/01 05:47 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Your right LearyFan the word religion often ruins what was intended to be great. I just use the term for "a system of spiritual beliefs". Spirituality works too, but governments do njot recognise "spiritualities" just "religions". And that is my point getting it recognised. By the way thank you for the list of links.
MarkostheGnostic - I appreciate your wisdom. I feel blessed that a person who actually met the man reiterated what I had been saying. Not that it was a seperate set of beliefs, but rather that it could incompase and better those old ways. I agree with you that it is all our responcability to put into words ones own spiritual experiences. I still feel that he deserves the honor.

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #497204 - 12/20/01 06:21 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Tim Leary advocated creating your own religion. Creating one based on him would be beneficial as long as you used your own ideas, not just a copy of his. I respect Leary alot and agree with alot of what he had to say through his life. What he said helped me recognize my own beliefs.

I cheer you on ArchDruid. Its exciting to live in a time where more and more people are waking up... The choice between fear and love is coming closer, people are starting to make up their minds on what side they're on.

peace with you

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Anonymous

Re: Psychedelianism or Learyism [Re: Adamist]
    #497527 - 12/21/01 01:36 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I practice Shroomism :tongue:

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Psychedelianism or Learyism [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #501565 - 12/26/01 12:40 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

MarkostheGnostic, I think you could have made your point without saying that Leary would be laughing at us if he had heard that.

However you did make a good point. Unless you come up with a philosophy that you truely believe in, and incorporate that into your pychedelic experiences, you'll forget what "it" was all about, because all you'll have is the word "it". Well you said it better than I did, but I heard you.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate