Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Justice Dept. Prepares to Sue SIU for Discrimination Against White Males
    #4923225 - 11/11/05 07:47 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If you are a low-income white male and have ever gone through the process of applying for scholarships, you know how horribly handicapped you are due to institutionalized (literally) discrimination. Everyone knew the 2003 ruling allowing colleges to take race into account during the admission process was opening a pandora's box and this is the end result.

The truly dirty secret about these policies is that 57% of college students in the US are actually female. This is nothing but feel-good discrimination, the worst kind in my opinion.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-051111minority,1,7036507.story

The U.S. Justice Department has threatened to file a lawsuit next week against Southern Illinois University unless the college opens up three paid fellowship programs once reserved exclusively for minority and female students.

The government says it will file the lawsuit because the fellowships discriminate against "whites, nonpreferred minorities and males," according to a letter dated Nov. 4. Federal officials say the graduate student programs, which include monetary stipends, violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which bars employment discrimination.

In its reply, the university has asked for more time to "consider appropriate modifications" and to provide the Justice Department with information about the programs, a spokeswoman for Carbondale-based SIU said.

"We have no reason to believe that these programs are discriminatory," said SIU spokeswoman Sue Davis. "They have successfully expanded the depth and breadth of diversity in many professions and many disciplines for people serving Illinois citizens."

The threatened lawsuit comes more than two years after the U.S. Supreme Court said universities can consider race in college admissions decisions but only among other factors and that each applicant must be evaluated individually.

If the government does file suit, it would be the first to legally challenge race-specific outreach programs at colleges and universities, said Sheldon Steinbach, general counsel for the American Council on Education, a Washington, D.C.-based organization representing 1,800 college and university administrators.

Though the Supreme Court decision was widely regarded as a win for universities that wanted to keep affirmative action policies, since then, schools throughout the country have opened up minority scholarships, fellowships, academic support programs and summer enrichment classes to students of any race.

College officials, fearing lawsuits, have generally interpreted the court ruling to mean that they can no longer offer race-exclusive programs designed specifically to help minority students, Steinbach said.

A Northwestern University summer program, for example, was opened to all students last summer. At the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a program for minority engineering students that provided internships, scholarships and tutoring was renamed and broadened to include non-minority students.

Universities, however, have been reluctant to change fellowships and other programs tied to financial aid that could make a difference in where a student chooses to attend.

"Are there schools out there who are still retaining race-specific scholarships? There probably are. But the mainstream of schools have amended their programs to make them race-neutral," Steinbach said.

Edited by Catalysis (11/12/05 12:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Justice Dept. Prepares to Sue SIU for Discrimination Against White Males [Re: Catalysis]
    #4924251 - 11/12/05 12:16 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

this is awesome!

I would love to see them roll over...

cue sharpton and jackson on stage right!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: Justice Dept. Prepares to Sue SIU for Discrimination Against White Males [Re: afoaf]
    #4933278 - 11/14/05 06:48 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Justice Dept. Prepares to Sue SIU for Discrimination Against White Males [Re: Los_Pepes]
    #4933472 - 11/14/05 07:42 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

The only two criteria that should be considered when someone is applying for these scholarships are a)The students scholastic abilities measured without a curve, and b)The students financial situation.

Affirmative action is a misguided idea that allows some undeserving people to ride the system, while others have to work even harder to get the recognition that they deserve.

Each student should be judged on their own merits, not by skin color or sex.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Justice Dept. Prepares to Sue SIU for Discrimination Against White Males [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4933581 - 11/14/05 08:06 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

The article says that mainstream institutions have eliminated race from their programs. He must have meant fellowship programs only because when I was looking for scholarships in 1998, I had to sift through dozens to find the ones that my sex and skin color allowed me to apply for.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds