Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMedo
Stranger

Can we have a sticky about cold shocking?
    #4931224 - 11/14/05 02:40 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I keep seeing the myth of cold shocking being good for cubensis posted over and over; people thinking it's a standard practice when in reality it's causing more harm than good. Can there be a tek update for any that have it/a sticky that tells of the dangers of cold shocking, and how putting a tropical mushroom into a freezing cold fridge doesn't even make sense to do in the first place?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Loc: midwest of ...
Re: Can we have a sticky about cold shocking? [Re: Medo]
    #4931226 - 11/14/05 02:42 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

WIGGLES: Um, wrong. When the mushies are first beginning to grow as lil baby mycelium in some poo in nature, they're in a warm, dark, CO2 rich environment. That is why you colonize substrate in dark places, with little air exchange, with a decently warm temperature.

However, how do those baby mushrooms know when they've gotten towards the exterior of that pile of poo? Its cooler. They're being exposed to oxygen and light. If you have the light and the oxygen, then maybe you need to try a cold shock.

Obviously Medo, you don't want them in freezing cold. However dropping the temperature to 50 degrees for about 12-24 hours isn't going to damage the mycelium, and it could very deffinately induce pinning. I think the confusion is the term cold shock... by you're writing "freezing cold" I think you mean temperatures below 32 degrees f/0 degrees C.

--------------------
P. Cubensis Growth Parameters
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

Edited by jarroddupont (11/14/05 02:43 AM)

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4931230 - 11/14/05 02:44 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Just curious, but isn't Cubensis naturally occurring throughout the entirety of North America? That includes the temperate north, where they can be found flourishing throughout the autumn with often very cold temperatures. I can't see how cold shocking could be extremely damaging, but maybe you know something I don't :smile:
I still don't claim to be an expert.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineMedo
Stranger

Re: Can we have a sticky about cold shocking? [Re: jarroddupont]
    #4931233 - 11/14/05 02:45 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The common definition of a cold shock is a fridge, and this is what the myth is perpetuated as. This is certainly colder than 50 degrees. It is not a "shock" if it's dropped a natural amount.

OfflineMedo
Stranger

#4931236 - 11/14/05 02:46 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The network underground does not reach 32 degrees sustained while it is flushing, underground is naturally warmer. It is also a natural network and can sustain lower temperatures without taking a death blow. A cake ready to birth is not so strong or able to take this kind of abuse and can cause many different factors you would not normally see to happen, and can be a vector in causing failure easily.

Edited by Medo (11/14/05 02:48 AM)

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4931237 - 11/14/05 02:46 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Haha, obviously you don't live in the North East :smile: We'll have 70 degree temperatures one day, then 40 degrees the next. I love being in a temperate region... i never know when to put my shorts way.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Can we have a sticky about cold shocking? [Re: wiggles]
    #4931239 - 11/14/05 02:47 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

>isn't Cubensis naturally occurring throughout the entirety of North America?

No, it's not, just the south of it.

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

#4931244 - 11/14/05 02:49 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

MEDO: you're the same person that said cyans are MEXICANA!!!

Dude, what the fuck?...

If you are so correct in your beleif this is true, and everyone else just seems to ignore you, obviously we have found, IN OUR EXPERIENCE, that it is not so...

At this point, one would think you'd say "fuck em', let em' damage their mycelium"

Which is what you should do, because OBVIOUSLY your advice hasn't gone too terribly far...

By no means am I trying to be an ass, but seriously...
THIS doesn't make your input weigh very much..

--------------------
-- Croatian Proverb

OfflineMedo
Stranger

#4931250 - 11/14/05 02:52 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Perhaps you should have read the last reply instead of trying to discredit me by a SINGLE post that was erronously made after I worked a stressful 3 day straight weekend. Maybe you should stop posting in my threads and harassing me, and mind your own business.

It isn't a belief. Ask any advanced cultivator here, and they will tell you the same thing. I'm not debating it with you, I'm asking the admins for something.

Edited by Medo (11/14/05 02:55 AM)

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can we have a sticky about cold shocking? [Re: Anno]
    #4931254 - 11/14/05 02:55 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
>isn't Cubensis naturally occurring throughout the entirety of North America?

No, it's not, just the south of it.

Ahh, okie, was going by the FAQ, and I misread it. Talks about Southern US and south america, my bad! :smile:

But, I know for a fact that people have found cubies at least as far north as Pennsylvania (it was in one of the posts recently about picking). So, they may be migrating? :lol:

--------------------

Hunter S. Thompson

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Re: Can we have a sticky about cold shocking? [Re: wiggles]
    #4931258 - 11/14/05 02:58 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Hey MEDO: here's one that'll break your balls...

Cubes in Kansas in NOVEMBER after FREEZING temperatures...in the snow too...

Just thought you'd find this interesting..

--------------------
-- Croatian Proverb

OfflineMedo
Stranger

#4931261 - 11/14/05 02:58 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I couldn't care less if they've grown on a nuclear reactor. The point here is about cold shocking jars. Once more, stay out of my threads.

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

#4931265 - 11/14/05 03:05 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

uh oh...getting defensive when confronted with evidence of being incorrect...

*last post in your thread*

--------------------
-- Croatian Proverb

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4931269 - 11/14/05 03:08 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I think what the confusion is really about is that people recomend to dunk in your fridge to reduce any bacterial growth that might be in the water etc. etc. No this should not be under freezing, most fridges are around 40 degrees. I hace a mini fridge setup directly for this and keep it at 45 degrees. Use a infrared thermometer to make sure the jars arent too cold and have no problems, and no delay in pinning or adverse effects whatsoever.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineMedo
Stranger

#4931274 - 11/14/05 03:11 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm defensive of nothing. I fully await many people who actually know what they are doing as long-term growers, and have done actual grows seeing the possible dangers, to post in this thread and back up the science. I don't give bad advice or advice that I have not personally tested multiple-times or come from verifiable resources.

I have no clue why someone would refrigerate a dunk when most put H2o2 or bleach in the dunkwater anyways. The point of the "cold shock" from what people have tried to put across; is that it increases or causes pinning. In reality a very very small drop will do the same thing; without the damage.

Edited by Medo (11/14/05 03:17 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#4931283 - 11/14/05 03:18 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

That was my point, I'm not "cold shocking" Im dunking. And yes I use h202 in my dunks as well. Its called extra precaution. Also some people might not like putting something harmful and caustic like bleach in with something they are going to eventually eat. Even if it is a small amount.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineMedo
Stranger

Re: Can we have a sticky about cold shocking? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4931289 - 11/14/05 03:22 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I'm not talking about dunking so I'm not quite sure why you're posting about it. You don't need cold temperatures as a cake is usually contam resistant when fully colonized. And the H2o2 will kill pretty much everything in the small span you have it being soaked. You don't dump bleach in like it's a toilet, and it isn't transfered throughout the network into the fruits, anyways.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#4931304 - 11/14/05 03:41 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Why do you argue points that were already clarified?? It makes you look like an ignorant.

First Post

"I think what the confusion is really about is that people recomend to dunk in your fridge to reduce any bacterial growth that might be in the water etc. etc"

Hence why i posted. That there is confusion by newbies between cold shocking and dunking in a fridge.

Second Post

"Even if it is a small amount. "

You should start paying attention to posts before you start to insult people

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineMedo
Stranger

Re: Can we have a sticky about cold shocking? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4931311 - 11/14/05 03:53 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

If you read my replies, you would see I answered you about it. And I fully understood your post, and never insulted you. Having an irrational fear of using a chemical that isn't even transported throughout the network is where true ignorance is, not a cultivator who uses an effective method of preventing contamination. It's quite a bit less harmful than any of the pesticides in the entire vegetable isle at a grocery store. If someone is so fearful still though, they can just use H2o2 as previously stated.

Edited by Medo (11/14/05 03:55 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#4931312 - 11/14/05 04:00 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

*shakes head*

"Well, I'm not talking about dunking so I'm not quite sure why you're posting about it."

Must not have understood completley.

"Having an irrational fear of using a chemical that isn't even transported throughout the network is where true ignorance is, not a cultivator who uses an effective method of preventing contamination. It's quite a bit less harmful than any of the pesticides in the entire vegetable isle at a grocery store."

Too bad i grow my own veggies using no pesticides and beneficial bugs to take care of pests.

You obviously just want to argue that it will hurt, too bad its done all the time and doesn't. So where are all these experienced growers you were talking about that will help justify you??

Im done with you.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate