Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Salvia: It’s intense, it’s dangerous, it’s inexpensive ... and it’s legal [OR]
    #4929062 - 11/13/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

It doesn't look like salvia will stay 'under the radar' too much longer...

Salvia: It’s intense, it’s dangerous, it's inexpensive ... and it's legal
November 13, 2005 - mailtribune.com

Salvia is a powerful, legal herb from
Mexico that produces vivid, often
terrifying hallucinations. The drug is
sold in Magic Man in various strengths.

Few police, teachers or counselors have even heard of it, but the drug salvia - a powerful psychedelic herb from Mexico — is legal in the U.S. and easily purchased over the counter in Medford or on eBay.

Also known as Diviner's Sage or Sally-D, salvia divinorum is extremely intense, say those who have tried it. They say it is as powerful or more so than LSD and produces vivid, often terrifying hallucinations and out-of-body experiences lasting five to 10 minutes. Effects vary widely; a few users report little or no effect.

The herb is sold at Magic Man in the Bear Creek Shopping Center in various strengths for $11.95 to $44.95. In Ashland, Zen Den doesn't sell it and Puff's used to but stopped.

Theresa Jermain of Medford called police when a 17-year-old high school student, for whom she is guardian, bought salvia at Magic Man and, after smoking it, told her he "got real high" and it was "way too strong."

After checking out the shop, police reported back to Jermain that the drug was not illegal and there was nothing they could do, she said.

The student, "Chris," who asked not to be identified by his full name, said he smoked it with 15 fellow South Medford High School students and that only three of them had a "good trip" - the rest being "very bad." Students, he added, are little aware of the drug and it's not being much used there.

He described his experience as an "out-of-body experience in a totally different world" followed by a bad "body high," in which he felt sick and awkward and couldn’t move. With a cell phone, he videoed another student on salvia hallucinating and trying to crawl out the back window of a car, he said.

Sheriff's Lt. Dewey Patten, commander of the Jackson County Narcotics Enforcement Team, said he wasn't aware of the drug. "I don’t know what we'd do if we found someone whacked on it, because it's not illegal," he said.

Jan Janssen, community outreach officer with Ashland Police, said she'd never encountered it, but after consulting the drug Web site erowid.org, said it's surprising that it's legal, considering that most users report unfavorable experiences. Ashland officers trained as drug recognition experts do know the drug and can spot its effects, she said.

Patten consulted a comprehensive drug reference, "Uppers, Downers and All-Arounders," co-written by Ashlander William Cohen, who also lectures and makes films about psychoactive drugs.

Salvia, wrote Cohen, is similar to PCP and originates among the Mazatec Indians of Oaxaca, Mexico, who use it to induce dreamlike hallucinations, delirium and out-of-body experiences, so as to seek out the causes of illness.

The effects, or "trip," last up to 10 minutes, tapering off over half an hour, with the nature of the trip dependent on the person’s mind-set and surroundings.

"Cliff," a 19-year-old from Ashland who asked not to be identified, called salvia an "anti-drug drug" because his trip was so intense that it turned him off alcohol and drugs.

"In my first trip, my legs turned to a waterfall of tears," said Cliff. "The second time, I thought, seriously, that I had died and that my soul was being sucked out of me. It was the most intense thing I've ever done. Coming off it, I felt needles were coming out of my body. It definitely had teaching value because I was abusing (alcohol and drugs) and it gave me a lot of insight about what I was doing."

Magic Man owner John Hopf said salvia is sold as an incense or meditative aid like sage - and that customers learn about it on the Internet and come in to buy it. Although Hopf said he knows of no psychedelic properties for the plant, his store had a stack of printouts from a government Web site warning that salvia is a powerful hallucinogen.

"Pete," 27, another Medford resident who used salvia and asked not to be identified, said he had bought salvia from Magic Man seven or eight times. He described it as "a meditative thing that helps you feel a reality outside the ordinary reality and become one with yourself, as a unity."

He added, "It's very personal, not smoke-a-bowl-and-relax."

"Max," an 18-year-old senior at North Medford High School who bought salvia last week at Magic Man and declined to be identified, said friends suggested he try it. "I'm curious. I'll probably feel good for a while and hallucinate. They said it was worth the money for the feeling you get."

The federal Drug Enforcement Administration has the plant under review based on its potential abuse, availability and effects on users, said DEA public affairs officer Lauren Alder in Washington, D.C.

"The DEA lists it as 'of concern,' but just because it's not listed as a controlled substance doesn't mean it's healthy or safe," said Alder. "The medical profession stresses the danger of it."

The DEA Web page on salvia classifies it as a psychoactive terpenoid, a family that includes marijuana. It produces "profound hallucinations," with effects similar to mescaline, the DEA bulletin said.

Three years ago, staff Oregonian columnist Margie Boule branded salvia "the most powerful natural hallucinogen known on earth."

"Salvia divinorum is a wild ride," wrote Boule. "This is not a drug that simply makes people play Beatles' records backward. It induces powerful hallucinations that sometimes are terrifying."

Salvia is illegal in Australia, Italy, Denmark, Norway and South Korea. California Rep. Joe Baca in 2002 introduced a bill to ban it in the U.S., but, says erowid.org, it is chemically different from schedule I and II drugs, so it is not covered by the federal law used to ban drugs.

SALVIA
salvia divinorum

Other names: Diviner's Sage, Sally-D

Cost: Sold in various strengths for from $11.95 to $44.95 a bag

Use: Similar to PCP, intense hallucinations lasting for 5-10 minutes when the drug is smoked

Legal use: An incense or meditative aid, akin to sage

Federal position: The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has the plant under review. The government classifies it as a psychoactive terpenoid, with effects similar to mescaline

Why is it still legal? Chemically differences from schedule I and II drugs mean it is not covered by the federal law used to ban drug

Where is it banned? Australia, Italy, Denmark, Norway and South Korea

Salvia web site: erowid.org

DEA information: www.usdoj. gov/dea/pubs/states/newsrel/newark_intel_bulletin_salvia.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: veggie]
    #4929066 - 11/13/05 02:17 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Salvia web site: erowid.org

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: Jim]
    #4929190 - 11/13/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

bye bye sally

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: veggie]
    #4929201 - 11/13/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

:cruelworld:  Ugh...  time to start clubbing reporters like baby seals

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #4930231 - 11/13/05 08:56 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The DEA Web page on salvia classifies it as a psychoactive terpenoid, a family that includes marijuana. It produces "profound hallucinations," with effects similar to mescaline, the DEA bulletin said.

Not in the slightest!!!

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Loc: midwest of ...
Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4930865 - 11/13/05 11:24 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I would like to assemble the masses and riot about drug laws before I die...

Or any other violent riot for that matter...

--------------------
P. Cubensis Growth Parameters
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4931707 - 11/14/05 09:29 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Gotta love sensationalist media. If only "terrorists" would hit a real target and take out newspaper buildings nationwide.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #4932093 - 11/14/05 11:58 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The student, "Chris," who asked not to be identified by his full name, said he smoked it with 15 fellow South Medford High School students and that only three of them had a "good trip" - the rest being "very bad."

lesson learned then. don't smoke it.

salvia will never be a big issue because most people do not like the experience. i've smoked it a few times and i never will again. amongst my friends, we tend to buy salvia as a prank to play on eachother when we're passing a bong around. none of us want to smoke the awful stuff.

this is not newsworthy. the media blows. how about some real investigative reporting? let's see a reporter smoke the stuff and then write a story about it.

--------------------

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: jarroddupont]
    #4933489 - 11/14/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jarroddupont said:
I would like to assemble the masses and riot about drug laws before I die...

Or any other violent riot for that matter...

just go to paris :tongue:

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4936359 - 11/15/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

"I don?t know what we'd do if we found someone whacked on it, because it's not illegal,"

maybe arrest them for public intoxication just like you do for anyone else acting up or out of it on any legal chemical in public? why does the plant have to be illegal for there to be any level of control over its use? personally, i don't want people tripping out in the streets on salvia. keep it behind closed doors and who gives a fuck?

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: debianlinux]
    #4937789 - 11/15/05 03:58 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

debianlinux said:
Quote:

"I don?t know what we'd do if we found someone whacked on it, because it's not illegal,"

maybe arrest them for public intoxication just like you do for anyone else acting up or out of it on any legal chemical in public? why does the plant have to be illegal for there to be any level of control over its use? personally, i don't want people tripping out in the streets on salvia. keep it behind closed doors and who gives a fuck?

Exactly!!!

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #4954669 - 11/19/05 03:58 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Odd logic behind banning it. Why don't they ban datura for the same reason? Pretty much every trip report on datura has been nasty, yet it's still legal. Do they think we're really stupid? If someone has a bad time, they're not very likely to do it again. So there is no need to ban it in the first place. Hell, one of the interviewees said it turned him off drugs and alcohol because it made him realise that he was abusing them. Since when was being given a wake up call a bad thing? Him smoking Salvia saved him the hassle of being checked into rehab.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: Sheepish]
    #4959284 - 11/20/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

hey everyone theres a new lsd/mescaline/pcp drug on the street. the government just sent me word about this new powerful drug called salvia that fucks your shit up. oh man this will make a great stocking stuffer...

seriously though mr "cohen" needs a boot to the ass and a firmly applied book on salvia to the dome.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4960103 - 11/20/05 02:02 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

ironically, the best thing the government can do is make it illegal,
suddenly it will be evrywhere.
people with clones can get rich.
heh heh heh.
and the establishment will have yet another powerful foe made up for themselves.

keep it comming eletists... you make the criminals.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #4960915 - 11/20/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

maybe we can make a trade...illegalize salvia and legalize marijuana. sound good?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: TODAY]
    #4960963 - 11/20/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Nope

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia: It?s intense, it?s dangerous, it?s inexpensive ... and it?s legal [OR] [Re: TODAY]
    #4961953 - 11/20/05 09:53 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
maybe we can make a trade...illegalize salvia and legalize marijuana. sound good?

I'd rather have the Salvia.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder