Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineGuerrilla0726
Bringer ofChange
Re: Can psychedelics change the world? [Re: Los_Pepes]
    #4948210 - 11/17/05 06:52 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

the man in your icon moved a figure and it changed the world. (he pulled a trigger)

Edited by Guerrilla0726 (11/17/05 08:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Can psychedelics change the world? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4948301 - 11/17/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I think our culture could use another Timothy Leary. I think that one reason many people have trouble actualizing their psychedelic insights in their daily lives is because they lack the direction and discipline that a good guru could provide for them.

Hi, I didn't read the whole thread, but I wanted to mention a couple ideas on this...

The really important thing these days is legitimizing psychedelics through scientific research and demonstrating the medical value of them. It's certainly well known on this board how beneficial psychedelics can be to mental health issues, and personal introspection, but the mainstream side of things tend to be hyper-paranoid. Even good news about research can make things harder, such as MAPS MDMA research which got shut down because it got positive press, and the Anti-Drug Authority in Madrid convinced the hospital to shut down research because of it.

And that's the dilemma psychedelics are in. Positive news is negative. Negative news is horrific, even when it's a completely bogus study like George Ricaurte's mix up with MDMA & meth.

So at the moment, having a psychedelic guru, or at least a mainstream one which attracts ANY sort of attention is going to be negative for the status of psychedelics. I think the best thing we can hope for, at least as far as the mainstream is concerned, is to legitimize research and scientifically prove that psychedelics can be used for psychotherapeutic reasons.

Looking at all the evidence, and the arguments against psychedelics, it's pretty fucking obvious how much this is all about politics. To give you an example, my recent Abnormal Psychology textbook cited the Dr. Ricaurte MDMA "research", and stated that "The drug can be lethal when taken in high doses", when in fact the therapeutic dosage is 1% of the LD50. Sure, technically it can be lethal, but that's a pretty useless statement considering the overall context.

So this is everything which psychedelics is up against. The potential is definitely there. I don?t even think we, as users, realize how much potential there is. When ever you hear about drugs, aside from the sub-culture, it?s in such a condescending and negative context. If psychedelics could gain acceptance as valuable medicine, there is no telling where it could go.

And that?s just covering the uses in the mental health system. Cultural change is a whole other topic. Well, actually it's the topic in this thread, I just brought up the medical perspective. I think because of the degrading attitude in the media towards psychedelics really shapes people's expectations when using them, and ultimately they don't get all they could get out of it. I think that's the major problem.

Offlineloneliestpenguin
Stranger
Re: Can psychedelics change the world? [Re: Twirling]
    #4952217 - 11/18/05 03:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Hah i've spent some time working with linux but i'm actually a mac user, i guess i've really been all over the place. That little penguin is pretty cute though!

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Can psychedelics change the world? [Re: Twirling]
    #4952340 - 11/18/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

"And that's the dilemma psychedelics are in. Positive news is negative. Negative news is horrific, even when it's a completely bogus study like George Ricaurte's mix up with MDMA & meth. "

so true. but thats why i believe the whole dream of getting psychadelics legitimized by the medical community is a dead one. I think the goal now should be for those of us who know the benefits of psychadelics to take it upon ourselves to act as humanities new shamans, experiencing that world ... it is also up to us to be our own "gurus" educating ourselves and loading our minds in such a way that we have a lens with which we can view the psychadelic experience in a meaningfull light, and then translate it into meaningfull action.

im taking a break from that path due to temporary cowardice, though.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom