Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaka
Re: Corn Gluten [Re: altarego]
    #495489 - 12/18/01 11:24 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

just something i found just now to clarify what can be in the other 3.5% of that corn gluten in question :)

"Corn gluten is a fine yellow powder, usually pelletized for easier application.
It comes in 5 lb bags, but a 25 lb bag (blended with bone meal and potassium sulfate from the organically certified Idaho mine) will be available this fall from Necessary Organics"
bone meal is also a good source of N, but i'm not sure what the potassium sulfate is good for (or bad for that matter)
tell me what u think

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblealtarego
Re: Corn Gluten [Re: aka]
    #495611 - 12/19/01 02:52 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I would think that K2SO4 in that quantity would be fine. Its probably there as an anit-caking ingredient (it is the potassium equivalent to gypsum). The only potential problem (again, probably small) is that high levels of K are known to inhibit phosphorylation of psilocin to psilocybin, making for a less stable alkaloid profile. I don't have the numbers handy, but I think they were much higher than 3.5%.

- AE

- AE

Offlineaka
    #495644 - 12/19/01 04:29 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

that kinda bursts my bubble a lil bit, but i dont think it should have a high content of k2so4. the filler would mostly be Bone Meal, i'm certain of that. however, i've just spent several hours tryin to track down a good source of this stuff, and the best i could do at this time of night, was leave messages for the ppl that work there.

as far as Calcined Earth, i've found mostly references to it as Diatomaceous Earth
which is :

It is a non-toxic, safe substance made up from crushed fossils of freshwater organisms and marine life. Crushed to a fine powder and observed through a microscope, the particles resemble bits of broken glass. Deadly to any insect and completely harmless to animals, fish, fowl or food. Most insects have a waxy outer shell covering their bodies, INSECT STOP scratches through this shell causing the insect to dehydrate leading to eventual death.

INSECT STOP has a list of attractants on its label enabling you to attract a wider range of insects which may not be otherwise attracted to a specific bait already added to prepackaged products. For example, ants desire sweet baits while certain cockroaches tend to be more attracted to starch products. INSECT STOP gives you the choice. However, 90 percent of applications do not require attractants.

i'm not certain that this is what i'm looking for.

as u've mentioned b4, it's used in animal feed, so i'm tryin to look up places that sell feed in my area, but so far no luck.

i'll resume my search some time tomorow cause its definitely time to sleep (6:30 am)

thanks for continued support :)

aka

Invisiblealtarego
    #495679 - 12/19/01 05:40 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Aka -

Thia is the stuff I used:
http://www.schultz.com/procc.htm

Try the store finder link . . .

- AE

Offlineaka
    #496704 - 12/20/01 05:01 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

thanks again,
i think i've found just about everything i need so far. now to just order it and make the substrate.
by the time it gets delivered, there should be some spore prints ready to use for all the other different things.

aka =)

Anonymous

#498574 - 12/22/01 12:12 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Well how is it going?

Invisiblealtarego
Shaken not stirred [Re: ]
    #498680 - 12/22/01 03:02 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Not much yet to report, except that everything is proceeding fine. The pic above was for whoever wondered about the relative ease of shaking of SS vs. rye.

The answer is that it takes a bit more muscle, but it is doable (banging against a firm but cushioned object like a dense pillow is effective). I think if the jars were less full it would be easier, and I have cut back my recipe accordingly.

What I find interesting/hopeful about this image is that the spawn is still white with mycelium even after shaking, unlike rye, on which the mycelium tends to get lost after breaking up. This is one of the advantages stated in the patent, that the mycelial matrix is protected within the structure of the substrate, so that it is more resilient. What this probably means is that the "leaping off" time (the time it takes an innoculant to start colonizing the new substrate) is lessened.

I have two new experiments underway, one that will test this.

In the first I innoculated SS with Hypsizygus Ulmarius agar wedges, which after three days are beginning to colonize happily.

The second is that yesterday I innoculated three 3L bags of pasteurized straw with the jar above (and two others like it). Too early to say how quickly it will colonize, but I'll post updates soon.

Lobster,
AE

Offlinenewbiegrower
Stranger
Re: Super Spawn? Maybe. [Re: altarego]
    #501954 - 12/26/01 10:57 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

my friend cooked up some SS today and I wanted to report some measurements that I took that might make this easier for others to do. I measured how much of the SS ingredients it took to make a 20X size batch which is enough for eight 1quart jars or i large spawn bag.
4 cups corn gluten
2 cups paper pellets
3 cups calcined earth
2.25 cups dried blood (couldn't find feather meal should work OK)
1.75 cups CaCO3
1.5L (~60 oz?) water
This is easier than weighing every time IMHO.

Also, I checked the concern brand corn gluten and in the little box on the back on the right column it said that their was potassium sulfate in it which is I believe is K2SO4 but I got a "C" in organic chemistry 3 years ago so I may be wrong.

Invisiblealtarego
Re: Super Spawn? Maybe. [Re: newbiegrower]
    #502181 - 12/27/01 06:36 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds good. I've been shooting for around 1 cup of dried ingredients/qt. jar, so that seems a little high, but it should be fine.

Also, I like to divide it up dry, adding a specified amount of water to each jar, because the wet mix is kind of hard to work with (a bit like wet sand or gravelly cement).

As for the dried blood: Eeuww! Yuck!!

That's human blood, right?

- AE

Anonymous

#502637 - 12/27/01 05:57 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

going ok?
how much spawn do you use per gallon of straw?

Invisiblealtarego
Re: Super Spawn? Maybe. [Re: ]
    #502667 - 12/27/01 06:43 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

It's going pretty good so far. I used I jar (1 qt, 3/4 full) per filter patch bag, which I filled about halfway and heat sealed (I used the bags because they were convenient, can be sealed, and I can be sure that the container is closed after innoculation). The straw was pasteurized for 1h at 160.

1 of the bags is nearly fully colonized, 1 is most of the way there and 1 is slow and probably not going to make it. No explanation for the difference except if I had to say I'd think it was my pasteurization tek and not the spawn, because I picked the healthiest, cleanest looking and smelling 3 jars to work with.

I'll post pix in a few days.

- AE

Offlinenewbiegrower
Stranger
    #502797 - 12/27/01 09:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Is this spawn supposed to smell like cat pee? Because mine sure does I would say it's contaminated but it smelled like that the whole time I was cooking it and preparing it

Invisiblealtarego
Re: Super Spawn? Maybe. [Re: newbiegrower]
    #502889 - 12/27/01 11:46 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Well if you are using feather meal it doesn't smell like cat pee, but its still bad (think hot slaughterhouse), but "pee" in general is urea, i.e. nitrogen, so I'd bet that's from your blood meal.

Plug your nose,
AE

Invisiblealtarego
    #504054 - 12/29/01 11:55 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

FP Bags with SS and Past. Straw, after only 1 week:

I said I'd post pics and here they are:

1: The best:

2: Ok, and catching up nicely with#1:

3. Not promising:

Also, I have several jars each of SS with PC Cambo liquid innoculant, and P. Cyan liquid innoculant that have yet to show growth, but its only been two days.

- AE

Anonymous

#510074 - 01/04/02 12:43 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

hope all is going well

any new updates?

potomac

Invisiblealtarego
    #510101 - 01/04/02 01:10 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

UPDATES:

The two healthy SS bags are nearly fully colonized, and I will case them soon.

The Hypsizygus spawn is wispy and difficult to read, esp. with the dark color of the SS, but it appears healthy. I will use these to innoculate bulk sawdust/bran spawn soon.

I also have 3 jars of Ps. Cyanescens and 4 jars of Ps. Cub var. Cambodian innoculants. Both were multispore MEA liquid cultures, and healthy, and all jars have healthy white mycelial growth.

That is the state of things right now, and beacuse I will be away from home for a few weeks, don't expect updates until at least the beginning of Feb.

I promise full details then. In the meantime, has anyone else done work with SS?

HNY-
AE

Anonymous

#517467 - 01/11/02 01:38 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

WELL is it super or what?

Invisiblealtarego
    #517522 - 01/11/02 02:36 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Potomac, read the post above before you ask again.

- AE

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #527027 - 01/21/02 12:25 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Noticed up this thread - others looking for "calcined earth".

This can be had at any good garden supply, in couple pound boxs. Often called "Diatomite".

For bulk (20-25lb bags - or bigger). They can be had @ almost any large swimming pool supply store. It is used as a water filter medium. Bulk is cheap per pound.

Best O Luck ~ SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblealtarego
Re: Super Spawn? Maybe. [Re: SixTango]
    #535134 - 01/29/02 04:35 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Been away for awhile (Hawaii), and am just beginning to catch up here, but I thought I'd just let those interested in this experiment know that I'll have news real soon, after I pick up the pieces from being away from my lab for so long.

As for the above post, from SixTango, calcined earth and diatomaceous earth are related but NOT the same. DE is a very fine powder, whereas, CE (which is made by super heating DE) comes in various granule sizes, and the kind wanted here has a crushed gravel appearance.

See my earlier posts on how to find it, under the name "soil conditioner" or "turface".

More soon,
AE

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order