Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: leery11]
    #4922880 - 11/11/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I usually give out some loose change to some of them, if I have money in my wallet, i never open up my wallet to let them see i have more then that, they usually are near bus stops, to use the excuse that they need bus fare. It might be true..but I have given out a dollar in change before, but not much more then that.

Edited by skunk78395 (11/11/05 04:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: lid]
    #4922934 - 11/11/05 04:24 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I eather give them a buck or two or a punch in the face. It depends on how they ask me.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4922969 - 11/11/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It depends on if I have a lot of change or not, and who is asking me.

I'll give spare change to the especially crazy bums because they entertain me.

If you don't want bums to ask you for spare change just walk around with head phones on blasting.

OfflineMcdoopy
Fungus Face
 User Gallery

Loc: Varrok Center
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4922977 - 11/11/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I completely ignore them.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #4923109 - 11/11/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I spent time on the streets as a young man and I got to know the homeless population well. After that experience I will no longer give money to a randomn person on the street. There are too many of them that don't deserve it and I don't want my charity going to the wrong types.

If I have time I'll stop and talk to a homeless guy. It usually doesn't take too long to size a guy up and get a feeling for what is in his heart. If the guy seems like he really would benefit from and appreciate my charity I'll offer to buy them a meal or a beer or whatever they want. I might even just give him money if I don't have that much time to kill. But if I don't have time to at least chat with them for a few minutes then I will not give my money to a stranger who approaches me.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Invisibleirascible_raunch
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #4923188 - 11/11/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Most of the local bums know I'm a local as well, so they refrain from asking me for money or weed (we normally just nod or wave in acknowledgment of one other). I don't kick down change often, but if I dine out and have untouched leftovers (such as fries), I always give them to the first bum I see. And if a bum buys liquor for me, I always encourage him to pick something out for himself in the store.

However, if I'm in a pissy mood, I usually retort that "I need money too, and you don't see me flying a fucking sign." It's hard not to feel annoyance with the people who've been flying a sign on the same corner for months or even years - especially people with signs that say things such as, "need money for gasoline" or "spare a nug." Who doesn't want free cash for gasoline or weed? Goddamn, most bums are richer than me.

Overall, I think more bums are scammers than not.

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: irascible_raunch]
    #4923220 - 11/11/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

My first experience with panhandlers was in DC, some dude was standing around soliciting all the students taking field trips to the Smithsonian. Fucker had on Nike shit from head-to-toe and it seemed insane to me that he had the balls to shake that fucking half-gallon jug in my face and hit me up like I owed him something. Even his tone of voice made me want to slam him upside his fucking fat head. That shit doesn't fly. You don't stand on a corner with $100+ worth of clothes on and ask for free shit. Plus, he had tons of cash/change in his pan already. It was practically overflowing. You could hear him shaking it from several yards.

I've been around several bums since then that were much more needy than that son of a bitch, and I did for them what I could once I talked to them long enough to get a feel for their personality. Usually just a buck or two, or some food.

Once, though, I ran into a couple of guys who were obviously homeless. One of them looked to be near death, slumped over against his friend who was busily choking down some cheap liquor. After making sure the other guy was OK (obviously just passed out drunk) I stopped to smoke a bowl with them, they didn't even want any nor did they ask me for anything. I gave the conscious one a fiver.

normally though, i tend to avoid bums. like the fucking bastard who steals shit off our porch.. when we stopped him, he told us we should give it to him, because he didn't have it. silly bastard.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4923230 - 11/11/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

BTW, can anyone here spare some change?

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4923234 - 11/11/05 05:48 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Hahaha.. I'd give that guy some change. creativity counts!

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4923392 - 11/11/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
BTW, can anyone here spare some change?

:grin: :thumbup:

That guy would get whatever loose cash I had. I love the creative, funny, and honest ones.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: idiotek]
    #4923402 - 11/11/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Ive been the kid writing on the side of the street, with a cloth out in busy downtown minneapolis spanging for left overs.

If i know its a traveller kid like me, (its pretty obvious, ill help em out pretty decently if ive got the means.) - anything from a place to stay, a nice meal, a thermous, jacket, compass, socks, coffee, beer... I just see them as a new temperory friend, and the same comes back to me.

If its an old homebum thats respectful, i usually try and give them a decent kick down of a couple bucks..

if its a drug addict ill deny them and maybe say something.

if its an alcoholic i might give them a beer.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: headset]
    #4923533 - 11/11/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'll usually give all my spare change to a bum.. judging by his aura, eyes, tone of voice, and choice of words. Some of them actually deserve AND need it.. and I'll gladly help them out (provided I am not broke and hungry at the time too.. )

Once though, this woman in raggedy clothes approached me asking for spare change because she was stranded and hungry. I didn't get good vibes off her (even though she looked like a sweet old lady and was using very choice words), so I said sorry I'm broke.. this is in a rich area mind you.. not some slum. So I go to the park across the street and sit down and smoke a cigarette and just kind of watch her for a while. She asks everyone who comes up for some money, and 7 times out of 10 she got it. I saw her get handed dollar bills several times in a span of a couple minutes.

So after everyone leaves.. I see her glance around for a bit.. then she strolls to the parking lot in the next building over and gets in a brand new mercedes and drives off.

--------------------

InvisibleYrtlzmo
Female
. [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #4923605 - 11/11/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/03/13 11:56 AM)

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4923614 - 11/11/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yrtlzmo said:

headset: I like how you make it clear that alcoholics are not drug addicts. Congratulations at continuing the unfair way drug addicts are viewed.  :thumbup:

obviously thats not how i feel, and dont put words in my mouth.

In my experiences, a wino just minds his own business, and a cracked out tweaker will come after you screaming.

if someone respects me and my community, im down with sharing a beer off a 6 pack, to them, its like being a kid at christmas.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #4923632 - 11/11/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

When I know I'm going to be in the area of the city where the bums are I make sure I'm wearing my shirt that says this:

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=322

I never get bothered. :shocked: :grin:

McKennaDMT :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #4923881 - 11/11/05 08:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

When I was really drunk last weekend a homeless guy came up to me and asked for money for a coffee.. I told him to find something better to spend it on anything.. I mean a fucking coffee?? What the hell good is that?? Get some food, crack, anything for christs sakes..

Edited by Bhairabas (11/11/05 08:43 PM)

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: Penguarky Tunguin] * 1
    #4923891 - 11/11/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i was standing outside KFC last night, eating a sandwich, and this black homless lady walks up to me and said: "exuse me, sir, do you have any change to feed the hungry and homless", and i told her no, and walked away

OfflineMcdoopy
Fungus Face
 User Gallery

Loc: Varrok Center
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: DF2K]
    #23125366 - 04/16/16 08:13 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

DF2K said:
i was standing outside KFC last night, eating a sandwich, and this black homless lady walks up to me and said: "exuse me, sir, do you have any change to feed the hungry and homless", and i told her no, and walked away

You've sufficiently made me hungry for some KFC.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: How Do You Deal With Panhandlers? [Re: Mcdoopy]
    #23125380 - 04/16/16 08:17 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

I never carry money on me so if they seem just down on their luck I often give em a smoke. If they demand something I tell I will give them 20 bucks if I can punch them in the face. They never go for it tho :confused:

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #23125395 - 04/16/16 08:23 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

i ask if they have change for a 20

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale