Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offliner00tg04t
the main event

Loc: Canada
What happens if you follow diff religions and die?
    #1860531 - 08/28/03 08:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My friend and I got into a debate about if god exists or not, and its lasted all summer so far. I don't believe in God, while he does.

He explained to me what happens when the apocalypse comes, and how everyone who believes in jesus and accepts him into their heart, and asks him to guide him/her will be saved, and instantly sent to heaven while the earth, and all the non believers, are plauged.
Now, what I want to know is what happens if you believe in god, but not the true god? Like, all the people in india, asia, and all the native americans. What happens to them when they die? They believe in a different god then other religions (don't they?) Do they get saved aswell or do they have to face the apocalypse aswell?
One suggestion he came up with is that they'll be judged by how they lived their life, but he's not entirely sure, and since I don't believe in god I've never researched into the different religions. I was hoping someone here could provide some insight on the topic, thanks...

--------------------
Bro'z b4 Hoe'z

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: r00tg04t]
    #1860582 - 08/28/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's all the same g(G)od, just different interrpurtations of him/her/it. It's hard for me to believe that any supreme, all-knowing being could judge someone based on their beliefs.

Think about it this way, if you were the creator of the life and gave people the oppertunty to explore what you've created, why would you punish someone for trying to understand and figure just who/what you are? The whole "believe or die" concept is just a way of trying to comfort people who do believe, while also making sure they don't question their "beliefs". And that's what I believe, so it must be true :wink:

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
    #1860593 - 08/28/03 08:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe they all believe in the "true" god and are merely expressing this in other ways. Why does different have to be wrong? Religion is not 'one size fits all.'

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflineThoughtMachine
Stranger

Loc: CO
Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #1860683 - 08/28/03 09:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My friends and I decided to go have a conversation with some of the religious recruiters at a mall downtown and to ask them all about their beliefs. We found a Christian guy handing out pamphlets that wanted really badly to convert us, and so started talking about it all. The man said that anyone that did not accept Jesus or believe in God would go to Hell. One of my friends is Jewish (hardly) adn asked the guy whether or not he was going to Hell when he died. The man replied that since Jews do not accept Jesus they will go to Hell even though they believe in God. I don't know what denomination of Christianity this man was.

--------------------
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: ThoughtMachine]
    #1860880 - 08/28/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The same exact thing that happens to every single other person who has ever died.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1861085 - 08/28/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

And who told you that? ; )

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: chunder]
    #1861092 - 08/28/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A two foot long potato bug wearing a small kilt.  But that's not really important right now... :wink:

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: chunder]
    #1861093 - 08/28/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If you dont pay your pew rent every sunday YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1861258 - 08/28/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

its all the same game, the same story, there is just different observations. To survive you must be smart, beliefs constantly change, the truth of things doesnt... just your perception. Follow the truth... and if you must "go" somewhere at somepoint, if it means your survival, if you are interested in "going somewhere" i would think it would just be a part of playing the right parts to "go on".

--------
Dont listen to me, im a robot.

--------------------
What?

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1861544 - 08/29/03 01:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"The same exact thing that happens to every single other person who has ever died"

I disagree. Mainly, people who believe in god are quite spiritual and over years of practicing their religion have developped a sort of "navigation spirit". What this means is that if you fine tune your spiritual side whilst alive, your death will be a much more welcoming and familiar experience to you, thus making it far easier to explore and understand the experience of death. However, if you live life without even getting to know your spiritual self, death can be a somewhat frightening experience, as you are now left in the hands of a stranger. Of course, no one knows FOR SURE what happens when we die, but this is what thousands of years of Buddhist teachings have come up with.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: manna_man]
    #1862251 - 08/29/03 09:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Of course, no one knows FOR SURE what happens when we die,

Two men were walking along a stream. The first man looks into the stream an sees a small school of fish.

"Look at those fish! Look how they play together and have a good time!"

"You are not a fish," said the second man. "You can't know that those fish are playing and having fun!"

The first man stopped and looked up. "You are not me," he said. "How do you know that I do not know that those fish are playing and having fun?"

- Zen Story

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
    #1862255 - 08/29/03 09:20 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:
A two foot long potato bug wearing a small kilt.  But that's not really important right now... :wink: 

:lol:
The lord works in mysterious ways... :smirk:

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: lucid]
    #1862457 - 08/29/03 11:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Some of the more delusional, dangerously maniacal Christians (particularly the ones in the Whitehouse) will have you believe that the apocalypse will not happen, and Christ will not return, until every human being on earth has heard about Christ and been given the opportunity either to accept or reject him.  Once everyone has been given their chance, Jesus will show up.  He'll divide everybody up into two categories:  those who accepted him, and those who rejected him. 

Everybody who accepted him will simply vanish into thin air, arriving at a big party on heaven's golden streets.  Everybody who rejected him, whether they be Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Islamic, Jewish, Santerist, Wiccan, Native American, Caodaist, Damanhurist, Macumbist, Osho, Lukumist, Eckankarist, Druse, Zoroastrianist, Objectivist, Skeptic, Unitarian, Goth, Punk, Druggie or Chess Club member, goes straight to the firey pits of hell's eternal anguish and torment.

This is the purpose of spreading tracts, "ministering" to your friends and neighbours, pestering people door to door, televangelism, etc.  It is to get the word of Jesus to as many people as possible, so as to speed up the moment of Christ's return and get to Heaven's party sooner.

Finger on the button.  :eyemouth:

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: Ped]
    #1862640 - 08/29/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That's a fine point, Ped - and a damn scary one, to boot.

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisiblegogrowgo123
all the same

#4920474 - 11/10/05 11:42 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

some divisions of the fait believe that there will be a rapture, and that everyone who doesnt believe in the "right" thing is basically screwed, while others believe that if you have a good heart and stuff youll be alright.

--------------------
"For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

OfflineDeviate
    #4920522 - 11/10/05 11:52 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

r00tg04t said:
My friend and I got into a debate about if god exists or not, and its lasted all summer so far. I don't believe in God, while he does.

He explained to me what happens when the apocalypse comes, and how everyone who believes in jesus and accepts him into their heart, and asks him to guide him/her will be saved, and instantly sent to heaven while the earth, and all the non believers, are plauged.
Now, what I want to know is what happens if you believe in god, but not the true god? Like, all the people in india, asia, and all the native americans. What happens to them when they die? They believe in a different god then other religions (don't they?) Do they get saved aswell or do they have to face the apocalypse aswell?
One suggestion he came up with is that they'll be judged by how they lived their life, but he's not entirely sure, and since I don't believe in god I've never researched into the different religions. I was hoping someone here could provide some insight on the topic, thanks...

if you study religion youll find many surface differences and contradictory beliefs but the higher up you go the more you find commonality. for example native americans believe in a Great Spirit, hindus believe in Brahman, christians, jews and muslims God. all these are essentially the same thing.

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: What happens if you follow diff religions and die? [Re: Deviate]
    #4920714 - 11/11/05 12:53 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I figure that when we die we follow that which we followed here, because it's what we believe in, it attracts us. So a Muslim will see Allah and follow Allah; A Christian will see Jesus, or an Angel beckoning, and because that's what they belive in, because that's what they want, they follow.

An Atheist, Hah! What a shock eh! What would an atheist choose when confronted by all these figures beckoning? lol

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4920955 - 11/11/05 02:35 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:

The same exact thing that happens to every single other person who has ever died. 

Perfect reply, :thumbup: and good for 5 shrooms :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4920972 - 11/11/05 02:48 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The division of different religions is a superficial one. They are all pointing to the same essense. I consider myself a Christian, but when I encounter a Buddhist or a Hindu or a Muslim, I do not think of myself as worshipping a different god than them. I simply think of myself as following a different path towards the same god. God is too big for one religion.

--------------------

Offlinebugi_bi
bogey_shroom

#4921035 - 11/11/05 03:49 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:

i agree with this completly...
here, someone could find this following quote interesting :

Quote:

Max Heindel, founder of The Rosicrucian Fellowship said:

Three theories have been brought forward to solve the riddle of life and death, and it seems to be universally agreed that a fourth is an impossible conception. If so, one of the three theories must be the true solution, or it remains insoluble; at least by man.

The riddle of life and death is a basic problem; everyone must solve it at some time, and it is of the utmost importance to each individual human being which of these theories he accepts; for his choice will color his whole life. In order that we may make an intelligent choice, it is necessary to know them all, to analyze, compare, and weigh them, holding the mind open and free from the bias of preconceived ideas, ready to accept or reject each theory upon its merits. Let us first state the three theories and then let us see how they agree with established facts of life and how far they are in harmony with other known laws of Nature, as we should reasonably expect them to be, if true, for discord in Nature is impossible.

1. THE MATERIALISTIC THEORY holds that life is a journey form the womb to the tomb; that mind is the product of matter; that man is the highest intelligence in the cosmos; and that intelligence perishes when the body dissolves at death.

2. THE THEORY OF THEOLOGY asserts that at each birth a newly-created soul enters the arena of life fresh from God; that at the end of one short span of life in the material world it passes through the gate of death into the invisible beyond, there to remain; and that its happiness or misery there is determined for all eternity by its belief just prior to death.

3. THE THEORY OF REBIRTH teaches that each Spirit is an integral part of God; that it enfolds all divine possibilities as a seed enfolds the plant; that by means of repeated existences in a gradually improving earthly body those latent powers are being slowly unfolded into dynamic energy; that none are lost, but that all Egos will ultimately attain the goal of perfection and reunion with God, bringing with them the cumulative experience which is the fruitage of their pilgrimage through matter.

--------------------

end

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order