Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineArCh_TemPlaR
enthusiast
Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: Timeleech]
    #493126 - 12/16/01 05:50 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah.. I don't want to get into semantics, but I know Goa was basically the root of all from India. I listend to Goa like 4 years ago and it had the mystical theme sounds of Eastern Mysticism.

I have no idea what you mean by commercial (Darude? ATB?). Some of the big names I do not consider commercial:

Ferry Corsten / System F
Armin Van Buuren
Dj Tiesto
Paul VAn Dyk
Hybrid
Dumonde

Euphoric trance is that type of bubbly happy music, but much more deeper and emotional. ..More brighter than darker ( Psy/Goa).

I can never get used to Goa's very driven, heavy duty thumping, and dark style (reminds me of gothic). But that's the beauty of it. Plus, it's too fast for me to do wushu with. Awesome for moshing though! :D

AHAHA.. It's not SEX! Can;t keep up.. heh Yeah... I still have a huge backlog of tracks to trace / DL / listen..

I'm branching off to breakbeat trance (Hybrid) and expand my dancing skills. :P

KtP
ArCh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineArCh_TemPlaR
enthusiast
Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #493173 - 12/16/01 06:52 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

It's not easy to make euphoric trance, or trance period.. And saything anybody can do it, is absurd..

Plus, Goa/Psy is trance too.. I have no clue what you're trying to say. o.O

KtP
ArCh

Offlinefuzzhead

Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: ArCh_TemPlaR]
    #493328 - 12/16/01 09:52 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I've been listening to trance for about 4 years now, started off listening to the commercial stuff, like ATB and paul van dyke and paul oakenfold and robert miles. I started moving away from that and into various djs, then i started liking trancecore. Then one day i picked up an excellent mixtape by DJ Brian E called disillusion. ive been hooked on psychedelic / goa trance ever since!!! it is the most amazing trance out there! so many layers to the music, everytime you hear it it has something new!! it expands your mind. yes alot of it is dark and can be almost evil sounding at times, but this makes it great.
heres some good ones:

Atmos - Headcleaner
Cosmosis - Cosmology
Infected Mushroom - The Gathering
Logic Bomb - Headware
Makyo - Yashkini
Pleiadians - I.F.O.
Cosmosis - Synergy
Dark Soho - Sun Spot
Double Dragon : Continuum
Etnica - Alien Protein
Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia
Hallucinogen - Twisted
Hux Flux : Cryptic Crunch
Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom
Koxbox - The Great Unknown
Koxbox - Dragon Tales
Planet BEN - Trippy Future Garden
Ooze - Where The Fields Never End
Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation
X-Dream - Radio
A Progress In Trance (Transient)
Eclipse - A Journey Of Permanence And Impermanence
Mystery Of Yeti 1 (TIP)
Mystery Of Yeti 2 (TIP World)

just a little list of VERY good psy trance :)

InvisibleMorgue Juice
journeyman

#493576 - 12/17/01 05:56 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Heya's, trance is definately cool. Although these days I'm finding that drum & bass is the only genre of electronic music thats really pushing it and breaking new ground constantly. Theres only so much you can do with trance, goa and the rest before it gets too predictable. But d&b is really goin places.. Heres some of the cooler tracks that I've found on a record site, that have come out recently.. Realplayer format.

B-Key - Dimenxionx - SIDE B - http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/ram/XXX003.ram

Klute - Dawn of Reason/Song Seller - Both Sides are good - http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/ram/31R015.ram

Motion - Remedy : http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/ram/INFRA017.ram

Polar - 5am - http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/ram/CERT1855.ram

They are slower cruisier tunes, but there are also some real thumpin dance tracks too. Theres heaps out there.

Breakbeat is where its at!

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: Morgue Juice]
    #493578 - 12/17/01 05:59 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

what's that trance called where it's kinda slow, with good deep bass hits. it's not very fast. has nyone ever heard of pyooce? <---thats what the name sounds like(simialr to juice), but i don't think it's spelled that way

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinetofonki
Stranger

Loc: Norway
Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: Timeleech]
    #493607 - 12/17/01 06:56 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

SImon Posford is working on the new Halluciniogen album right now! :) :)

Its supposed to be done by the end of the year

im gonna kill myself if it sucks, but he never let me down yet.
Does it go without saying that all psy people have liked hallucinogen?

--------------------
YOure a man! youre not a fish! BLOBOBOBOB :O .......where did that come from? - poor kenny

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: tofonki]
    #493672 - 12/17/01 09:54 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

:laugh: This is very, very good news indeed. :laugh:
I read something about him compiling a cd of live material, although it would be a must-have, a completely new/original album is infinetely better. I hope he uses that mac proggie he used as shpongle to make those vocals.

>Does it go without saying that all psy people have liked hallucinogen?
I think it does.

Have you heard of Philosomatika? Radio-station: http://www.philosomatika.com
I've got 2gigs of new psytrance on my HD since I discovered it four days ago :smile:

I quite like the darker stuff, especially with guitars. But I must say that a lot of the stuff I have heard lately sounds very similiar, alas.

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
    #493720 - 12/17/01 11:07 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

In response to: ArCh_TemPlaR
>It's not easy to make euphoric trance, or trance period.. And saything anybody can do it, is absurd..

Plus, Goa/Psy is trance too.. I have no clue what you're trying to say. o.O

I didnt deny goa and psy is trance, its the only part of trance genre I like...
If you have the same eqiupment as those lousy trance djs, you too would be a super star...
And yes, I find goa also very simple...but trance really does it.

Though I dont listen so much to "normal" trance, so maybe Im missing something. But every time I hear it Im suprised of the predecteblity and lack of variety...

BTW, Tiesto is considert the most commercial dj in holland, the rest, I dont know...

In reply to Morgue Juice:
Braindance (aphex twin, squarepusher, autechre) goes far beyond drum n bass if you ask me. This is the most groundbreaking electronic genre known to me.
But I do respect drum n bass totally.

--------------------
its all placebo

OfflineBBin
BlueOvertoneStorm

#493840 - 12/17/01 02:31 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Blue planet corporation - 'Crystal' - 'Alidate' - 'Blue pill' ... whoa...

ive heard good music played badly and lesser tracks made manifest as pure spirit, for the real thing you need a combination of elements in harmony, in the correct order, with the right intentions. Trance can definatly transform and catalyse, but that doesnt mean that just listening to any trance will do the trick.
(tiesto??? doesnt even come close.. but hey, its probably all subjective -> is it, really?)

--------------------
Thought is born blind but Mind knows what is Seeing

OfflineSimple_Ed
journeyman
    #493882 - 12/17/01 03:25 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, some of Richard James' more recent ambient techno stuff is really incredable. Id love to see that amount of complexity and deapth in D&B and techno.

Peace

--------------------
"Don't go plastic" - Tom Jenkinson

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: BBin]
    #493888 - 12/17/01 03:30 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

THe thing about goa/psy is the speed, at least partly. it synchs with the alpha-waves (or was it delta?) of the brain, thus being able to set you in a trance. In adition it is more repetetive (especially psy, since it doesn't have the characteristic long melody-lines commonly found in of goa) and lasts longer, so it is even more likely to throw you into an altered state/trance if you listen to it.

I find this to be very true, especially with the more "progressive" and minimalistic end of the spectrum, where there are smaller and more gradual changes over time. It's almost as if the only way to discover all the small details and nuances of a track is to fall into a trance (hence the name of the genre in general).

A 4-minute track with an extremely cliched chord-progression doesn't do much for me as opposed to a twice as fast & dynamic 7-12 minute long bouncy bassline, a 303 or two, some crazy hi-hat patterns, weird&wonderful sounds&effects in the background and in in the corners of the sound-field, a "noisy" or distorted wild& crazy "lead", some heavily eq'ed, thin drumloops/breaks in the background. Distorted heavy guitars just add to the flow, while the oscillating high-pitched saw's dig into your brain. THe occasional vocal sample is the icing on the cake...

I'm sorry for the rant, blame it on red wine, but I just :heart: psy-trance :smile:

If anybody want's to trade mp3's pm me... But not too much! We must buy records to keep the poor artists alive!

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

Offlinefuzzhead

Re: Who listens to Trance Music? [Re: felix]
    #494251 - 12/17/01 09:07 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

felix you might be talking about dub ambient. stuff like the orb and shpongle. very deep basslines, slower pace, VERY nice to smoke to.

InvisibleMorgue Juice
journeyman

#494263 - 12/17/01 09:24 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Devine_Madness said:
Braindance (aphex twin, squarepusher, autechre) goes far beyond drum n bass if you ask me. This is the most groundbreaking electronic genre known to me.
But I do respect drum n bass totally.

Definately! I actually classify (aphex twin, squarepusher, autechre) as drum and bass, which it is.. just harder and darker. The production levels of their stuff is incredible, let alone their mind numbing tracks of brilliance.. drum&bass is usually anything with a breakbeat and bit more substance than anything in the plain breaks genre. It mostly has a science fiction vibe.. Theres so many different types of d&b branches being made at the moment it makes people confused if they aren't familiar with the scene. Most non d&b people I've spoken to seem to think its some kind of hardcore which it isn't. It's the most intelligent type of music being made out there right now.

OfflineBBin
BlueOvertoneStorm

#494708 - 12/18/01 10:19 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

For me, the transformative quality of music is not defined by intellect but by feeling! Its not complexity, its not abstraction, its not simplicity, its not the labels attached. Its the heart that beats inside the music that conveys the life within it. Intellect is mind, feeling is spirit.
Psychedelic trance speaks with a certain sense of logic that seems to make sense of logic itself, transcending it, and its not something to be understood but felt. The right tracks in the correct order can really take you places, a process of growth and healing for your heart and soul. A rightness that radiates with positivety, even when things seem to spiral down. At the heart of darkness the morning will always bring new light. Intelligent music can entertain the mind, yes, but true music from the heart can move the soul and awaken you for a majickal moment or two, together with the souls around you, united as one. One dancefloor, one people, one heart.

--------------------
Thought is born blind but Mind knows what is Seeing

OfflineDivine_Madness

#495025 - 12/18/01 04:06 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Those posts from timeleech and bbin seem totally correct to me. Goa/psy trance is the only genre that can get me in a true ecstacy state without using any drugs. Its the music with the happiest vibe I know, and now I know why :). Ive felt it since the first time I heard it.
And know that I have read this, I love it even more :).

Is their also a theory on the spiral sounding thingys? (the second thing my brain seems to love). I do have some theories, but cant think of them right now...

--------------------
its all placebo

Edited by Divine_Madness (12/18/01 04:18 PM)

InvisibleMorgue Juice
journeyman

#495261 - 12/18/01 07:56 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

BBin Said:
For me, the transformative quality of music is not defined by intellect but by feeling! Its not complexity, its not abstraction, its not simplicity, its not the labels attached. Its the heart that beats inside the music that conveys the life within it. Intellect is mind, feeling is spirit.
Psychedelic trance speaks with a certain sense of logic that seems to make sense of logic itself, transcending it, and its not something to be understood but felt. The right tracks in the correct order can really take you places, a process of growth and healing for your heart and soul. A rightness that radiates with positivety, even when things seem to spiral down. At the heart of darkness the morning will always bring new light. Intelligent music can entertain the mind, yes, but true music from the heart can move the soul and awaken you for a majickal moment or two, together with the souls around you, united as one. One dancefloor, one people, one heart.

Well said! In Drum&Bass, I don't mean to say its made by an intelligent person or that the music is intelligent because of its complexity and so forth. Intelligent means progression, the way the music can take the listener further in every aspect everytime. Trance is very intelligent but theres only so much you can do with the same beat. I see(hear) trance as a way to bring the mind and body into a certain state, but how many times do you want to go to the same kind of state? I see drum & bass telling a story and putting you in the middle of the story and taking you to other worlds, uncharted territory. Breakbeat generated music is the first of its kind, ancient tribal people did/could not play breakbeat, drummers these days can't even play a repeated fast breakbeat, maybe a slow one, but can only sustain it precisely, over a short period of time. I totally understand what you mean about true music coming from the heart can move you in more ways than one, etc ;).. and thats exactly what some drum&bass does. It's truly powerful stuff, you just have to find the right kind that suits you. Both trance and D&B hold the same key, to different doors. After awhile, whats behind the trance door becomes predictable. Behind the d&b door, who knows where you're goin next! Just my opinion though. :) If you like, I can hook you up with some really mindblowing tracks, that have come out in the last year. Just send me a private msg if you're interested.

Edited by Morgue Juice (12/18/01 08:09 PM)

OfflineRizz0
journeyman
Loc: Mass
    #495320 - 12/18/01 09:05 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

If you wan't to make any kind of music i'd recommend fruityloops, www.fruityloops.com check it out, i use it and it's awesome..

OfflineArCh_TemPlaR
enthusiast
    #496159 - 12/19/01 05:11 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Fuzzhead,
Thanks, I'll look for those on AG. I'll give you some feedback.

Morgan Juice,
Ok, I listened to:

Polar - 5am, it sounds flat and sloowwww.
Motion - Remedy, nice upbeat tempo.

Divine Madness:
In reply to:

I didnt deny goa and psy is trance, its the only part of trance genre I like...
If you have the same eqiupment as those lousy trance djs, you too would be a super star...
And yes, I find goa also very simple...but trance really does it.

Though I dont listen so much to "normal" trance, so maybe Im missing something. But every time I hear it Im suprised of the predecteblity and lack of variety...

BTW, Tiesto is considert the most commercial dj in holland, the rest, I dont know...

Superstar? I doubt it. It does take much talent to produce + Djing. The producers I mentioned are the most talented in the UK.

You are probably missing something if you haven't heard the depth of other genres besides goa/psy. Euphoric + high popularity has a plethora of average talent sprinkled with the few but very talented. Goa/Psy is more concentrated + less popular. That's my fair understanding of it. I couldn't say just trance alone is predictable or lacks variety, but I do know euphoric's plot line very well.

Tiesto is very *popular* compared to other genres + producers + DJs.

BBin:
In reply to:

Blue planet corporation - 'Crystal' - 'Alidate' - 'Blue pill' ... whoa...

ive heard good music played badly and lesser tracks made manifest as pure spirit, for the real thing you need a combination of elements in harmony, in the correct order, with the right intentions. Trance can definatly transform and catalyse, but that doesnt mean that just listening to any trance will do the trick.
(tiesto??? doesnt even come close.. but hey, its probably all subjective -> is it, really?)

Blue... Huh?? Explain yourself! :P

A stronger meaning would be affinity. And sometimes our personal zeal gets in the way of reasonable objectivity of other *unattractive* musical forms. hahaha

I don't understand what you mean by 'close'? Tiesto is just another alias under Tijs Verwest who corroborates with Ferry Corsten on productions under different aliases:

Gouryella, Kamaya Painters , Major League , Plastic Boy , Return Of The Native , Stray Dog , The Blackmaster , Vimana

Timeleech:
In reply to:

THe thing about goa/psy is the speed, at least partly. it synchs with the alpha-waves (or was it delta?) of the brain, thus being able to set you in a trance. In adition it is more repetetive (especially psy, since it doesn't have the characteristic long melody-lines commonly found in of goa) and lasts longer, so it is even more likely to throw you into an altered state/trance if you listen to it.

Intriguing. My brain goes numb, the binaurals must not be working! ahah :)

Anyways, I agree with BBin's philosphical perspective. Whatever fires up your neurons on whatever genre is just all wholesome goodness.

I also love the other aspect: the expression of movement. Not only can I truly hear the music, I can [soul]walk with it. I can move like a lightning bird I was meant to be.

Trance (goa/psy/euphoric/hard) was never meant just to be heard. It's very tribalistic.

WOOT! WOOT!

KtP
ArCh

u:[s]

OfflineDivine_Madness

#496938 - 12/20/01 12:14 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Im sorry man, I listened a bit more to it but I stick with my opinion. Its empty.
And I only have heard the greatest djs, since these are pretty populair here.
For me, the "euphoric" sound is empty, it sounds to artificial. And the melodies are so simplistic, and so cliche. And also, empty. Like the depressed after feeling of xtc

--------------------
its all placebo

Edited by Divine_Madness (12/21/01 08:28 AM)

Offlineparaterrestrial
    #497051 - 12/20/01 02:57 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, this thread makes me so happy. I love hearing discussions about great music. I want to personally thank all those that listed artists and tracks! Now I have new download/listening fodder. excelent.

--------------------
Perception is not reality.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale