Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
poll ..is/should torture be legal?...
    #4910892 - 11/08/05 07:57 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/08/prison.probe/index.html

Quote:

If accurate, such an egregious disclosure [of CIA secret prisons] could have long-term and far-reaching damaging and dangerous consequences, and will imperil our efforts to protect the American people and our homeland from terrorist attacks

do you agree or disagree with the above quote?...
You may choose only one
did the CIA successfully spin the issue?...
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (11/08/05 07:53 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4910956 - 11/08/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

What connection does your thread title have to the questions on your poll? For that matter, what connection does your thread title have to anything discussed in the article you linked?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: Phred]
    #4911110 - 11/08/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I am all for torture. All I want to know beforehand is that the bastard terrorist that we are going to torture is 100% confirmed guilty. As long as we have no doubt, I have no sympathy for those fucks. I think that we should be torturing Sadaam. I mean that.

My reservation is that at Abu Garib or other places we may have been subjecting innocent people to torture. I don't want a chance of that ever. My only precondition to torture is that we have it on good authority that we have a bad apple who deserves what is coming to him. If that is the case, I would open up the floodgates of pain. Fuck them.

If I would have captured the guys who did 9/11 right before they killed those Americans, I would have no problem with taking them to the limit of pain, then reviving them, and then taking them right back to the limit. Fuck them. Torture is great as long as you get it right. Don't outlaw a useful tool.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: Phred]
    #4911382 - 11/08/05 09:25 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
What connection does your thread title have to the questions on your poll? For that matter, what connection does your thread title have to anything discussed in the article you linked?

IMAO..the quoted statement..along with the actions of its authours..implies that in their minds..torture is or at least should be legal..and that there is no issue with the CIAs methods...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4911422 - 11/08/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
I am all for torture. All I want to know beforehand is that the bastard terrorist that we are going to torture is 100% confirmed guilty. As long as we have no doubt, I have no sympathy for those fucks. I think that we should be torturing Sadaam. I mean that.

My reservation is that at Abu Garib or other places we may have been subjecting innocent people to torture. I don't want a chance of that ever. My only precondition to torture is that we have it on good authority that we have a bad apple who deserves what is coming to him. If that is the case, I would open up the floodgates of pain. Fuck them.

If I would have captured the guys who did 9/11 right before they killed those Americans, I would have no problem with taking them to the limit of pain, then reviving them, and then taking them right back to the limit. Fuck them. Torture is great as long as you get it right. Don't outlaw a useful tool.

Quote:

amendment VIII ..

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

in other words..the US constitution expressly forbids torture under the circumstances your advocating.. ie as punishment for a crime of which the offender has been duly convicted...unfortunately..it appears that terrorists are not entitled to legal due process..so its not possible to "establish guilt" as such...

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4911432 - 11/08/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Nothing in that quote or article says anything about supporting torture.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4911433 - 11/08/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
I am all for torture.

Fuck them. Torture is great as long as you get it right. Don't outlaw a useful tool.

I think that I am a sociopath when it comes to people whom I believe deserve punishment. I have no feelings of guilt or remorse when people who target or hurt innocent civilians get some pain inflicted on them. I wouldn't cry if Bush got dropped off in some hostile Arab neighborhood to be tore to pieces....and I also wouldn't cry if Bin Laden was thrown into shark infested waters with pig's blood slathered all over him.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: Redstorm]
    #4911444 - 11/08/05 09:34 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Nothing in that quote or article says anything about supporting torture.

thats correct...but it does..however..imply support for the CIAs methods...

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4911456 - 11/08/05 09:35 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

It does not imply it, you inferred it.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #4911504 - 11/08/05 09:42 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

it does imply it..because frist and hastert have no other reason to attack the messenger (the 2nd poll question incorrectly says "CIA") unless they support the CIAs position...

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4911513 - 11/08/05 09:45 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

That sounds like inferring to me.

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
    #4911625 - 11/08/05 10:06 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Torture? Absolutely not, it is never necessary in my eyes. Reverting back to medieval practices certainly isn't the way forward. A cruelty free society would be more hopeful if it weren't for the way that authority dealt with "criminals". People who oppose the corrupt, unjust systems, are likely to lash out in the only way that they know how to and in the only way that higher powers understand - mindless violence. It is because of the way in which our modern societies have been formed - instilling sheer terror into the vulnerable via brutal violence and destruction. I think motives behind things like terrorism need to be more closely examined, there is never an excuse for such abhorrent, disgraceful acts but their motives could provide valuable insight and shed some light on the change that needs to occur in order for society to become a more peaceful place to live, as oppose to barbaric and primitive ways of punishment. We need to set a positive example. Two wrongs don't make a right, just more hypocrites.

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: rogue_pixie]
    #4912318 - 11/09/05 01:45 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Is humiliation illegal? Is humiliation considered toruture? I've heard that Moslems' weak points are humiliation and mockery.

In case you ever catch one.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #4915102 - 11/09/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

bump...

EDIT ..nytimes...

Edited by Annapurna1 (11/09/05 08:06 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4916788 - 11/10/05 07:28 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

From Anna's NYTimes article:

"The report, by John L. Helgerson, the C.I.A.'s inspector general, did not conclude that the techniques constituted torture, which is also prohibited under American law, the officials said. But Mr. Helgerson did find, the officials said, that the techniques appeared to constitute cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment under the convention.

The agency said in a written statement in March that "all approved interrogation techniques, both past and present, are lawful and do not constitute torture." It reaffirmed that statement on Tuesday, but would not comment on any classified report issued by Mr. Helgerson. The statement in March did not specifically address techniques that could be labeled cruel, inhuman or degrading, and which are not explicitly prohibited in American law."

The entire thrust of the article is that some CIA people are nervous about just where the line is. Certainly understandable.

--------------------

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4917150 - 11/10/05 09:29 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

whats is your beef against these terrorists anyway?

so they slammed a few planes into one of your buildings
big deal

your govt blows shit up and kills civilians everyday in the process of having its message heard

why do you take it personally?

is it this false patriotism crap again? havent you lernt that patriotism is just a tool for inciting the feebleminded to do the governmnets wishes

true patriotism means looking after your community from the bottom up - you,family, neighbourhood, community, state) not the top down
true patriotism puts the federal govt last on the list before foreign interests
why the fuck would you believe what george says? hes just an oil puppet with madman fundamnetalist christian ravings
hes screwing you over and is responsible for far more american suffering and war dead than any terrorist attack

get with the program fellas

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: Mycena]
    #4917193 - 11/10/05 09:39 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

whats is your beef against these terrorists anyway?

so they slammed a few planes into one of your buildings
big deal

I'd love to see some of your family killed by terrorists. Then I could tell you it's no big deal.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #4919889 - 11/10/05 09:08 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

bump...

--------------------

OfflineTheAntiSatan
Stranger

Loc: Tir na Marachuan
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4921531 - 11/11/05 09:19 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

So by that reckoning you would think it's ok for the terrorists to torture westerners because they beleave they are doing the right thing? Doing whatever they can to remove the infidel from their land and stop them spreading their corupt western ways in their land.

There's no point in just torturing someone for punishment. The torture will more than likely mess them up beyound rehabilitation why not just kill them. Saves everyone the horror of whats actually involved in torturing a human being.

--------------------
Guinness is good for you. So are multivitamins.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: poll ..is/should torture be legal?... [Re: TheAntiSatan]
    #4921539 - 11/11/05 09:21 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MeTurk said:
So by that reckoning you would think it's ok for the terrorists to torture westerners because they beleave they are doing the right thing? Doing whatever they can to remove the infidel from their land and stop them spreading their corupt western ways in their land.

There's no point in just torturing someone for punishment. The torture will more than likely mess them up beyound rehabilitation why not just kill them. Saves everyone the horror of whats actually involved in torturing a human being.

I believe people who harm innocents should be tortured. This goes for everybody.

If an American soldier gets pissed off and starts picking off Iraqis with his M-16, I think he should be stripped and dropped off in the neighborhood in question and the locals would decide what would be done to him.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #4921553 - 11/11/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

pain gets people talking but it doesn't make them tell the truth. there are more refined and subtle ways of getting someone to tell you what you want to know.

i've never given up anything under police interrogation, but i've definitely let a few secrets pass in friendly company under the influence of alcohol...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom